• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes on PS4 triples Xbox One version sales

SerTapTap

No surprise, especially after DLC parity. Though I must say after actually playing both, the Deja vu mission is way more fun than the Raiden one. They should have just let you play as Raiden in the other missions or something. Last part of Raiden's mission is super annoying score-wise.

The Metal Gear as a PlayStation franchise thing is funny, they started on MSX, a Microsoft platform.

Yeah, but that's the same as saying "it started on Windows".

f1xv.jpg

icespide

Banned
metal gear didn't really become hugely popular until Metal Gear Solid on the playstation, so a lot of people associate metal gear with playstation. it's as simple as that

Can we now all agree that consumers do care about 1080p?

I wouldn't necessarily say thats why it sold better on PS4...

Skele7on

Banned
LOL..it's not that big a deal. A lot of people do see it as a Sony franchise even if it's elsewhere. That thought is somewhat accurate.

You know we have to referee posts way too closely around here.

mlouid.jpg

"Yep...looks good...no details missing"

I'm glad I got called up on it though.

I blame Psycho Mantis, I didn't plug my keyboard into USB 2 before posting.

I would also love to see Twin Snakes on both PS4/Xbox but I know there is some weird licencing thing that stopped that from happening, Boy that was a great gamecube game.

Although not a scratch on the original

SerTapTap

Can we now all agree that consumers do care about 1080p?

Well it's not THAT simple. PS4 had a console sales edge (arguably due in part to 1080p being more common, but it's only a piece of that puzzle) and despite arguments in this thread MGS definitely has more of a fan base on PS than Xbox. Though for anyone with both consoles, that should make it a pretty easy choice. Unless you needed dat day 1 raiden.

I would have thought it would be 5:1 considering the following.
1. It came out a week after titanfall (meaning people were probably preoccupied with that)
2. The graphics disparity (1080P vs 720P is as big as they get)
3. mgs is a playstation brand. 1 through 4 were exclusive and I'm assuming anyone with interest in this played those as well so they likely purchased a PS4

icespide

Banned
1. It came out a week after titanfall (meaning people were probably preoccupied with that)
3. mgs is a playstation brand. 1 through 4 were exclusive and I'm assuming anyone with interest in this played those as well so they likely purchased a PS4

2 came out on the original xbox

This does not cover the launch week. it's April/June/July.
Over twice as many bought it for PS3 than PS4.

mcrommert

Banned
metal gear didn't really become hugely popular until Metal Gear Solid on the playstation, so a lot of people associate metal gear with playstation. it's as simple as that

I wouldn't necessarily say thats why it sold better on PS4...

Seriously...perhaps for gamers that own both

I'm an xbox/pc gamer and have zero interest in the series...i think that has more to do with me not buying the game than resolution :)

Ugh. No. Only 4 was exclusive.

1 was on PC and remade for GameCube.
2 was on XBox and PC, and now the HD Collection.
3 was ported to 3DS, and is now part of the HD Collection.

I get what you're getting at, but no.

Where is your god now, DarthWalden ?

:p

Bgamer90

Banned
Not surprising since Japanese multiplats traditionally do better on PlayStation vs Xbox platforms.

Yep, plus the MGS brand is tied to Playstation more than Xbox for obvious reasons.

Hoping that they will release a version of Phantom Pain that includes Ground Zeros; Would be a nice move.

Ridley327

I have a feeling there is going to be PS4 co-marketing for the game too. There was a big PS4/MGS5 banner at E3 anyway along with Batman and stuff.

No reason to expect otherwise. Kojima is fiercely loyal to Sony, even after the series went multiplatform.

Teletraan1

Banned
Game was just single player right? It would have been reversed if friends and ecosystem were a factor in the purchasing decision.

Skele7on

Banned

I did this too but MGS HD Collection is on the xbox 360 store now.

dugdug

Banned
Depends. Should a console fan base feel pride in knowing they're more like to spend forty dollars on what is essentially a over-bloated demo? I would say no, but that's up to you to decide.

Someone didn't finish MGS4.

but then they'd make less money?
I'm not asking for half of where they'd have to sell twice as many copies to make due as if they kept the same price. If somebody sells a season of blu ray for 500+ because it's a niche show they're already limiting sales to an even smaller audience. Plenty of people are waiting on this to go for $20 or lower.

icespide

Banned
I'm not asking for half of where they'd have to sell twice as many copies to make due as if they kept the same price. If somebody sells a season of blu ray for 500+ because it's a niche show they're already limiting sales to an even smaller audience. Plenty of people are waiting on this to go for $20 or lower.

so releasing at $30 gets everyone that is willing to pay that amount, and then eventually when its $20 they make money from people waiting.

seems smart IMO

so releasing at $30 gets everyone that is willing to pay that amount, and then eventually when its $20 they make money from people waiting.

seems smart IMO
If they're planning on lowering the price anytime soon then be my guest but this isn't any smarter than a game going down in price from resell and age.

Do we even know the actual sales numbers? Because saying "sold three times as much" doesn't tell me if it met estimates. Unless I missed that in the original quote brb.

Edit: seems like it sold decently but it's more of a bonus from the huge revenue they saw to the pachinko business. Guess it doesn't matter how much it ends up selling (at least in large scale)

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
lol wasn't this expected? Metal Gear name is associated with PlayStation brand for YEARS. I am sure Mass Effect had similar ratio on Xbox 360 and PS3. Beside MGS 4 wasn't even on 360.

Same with Final Fantasy games, selling poor on Xbox brand.

When next Titanfall drops, it will sell more on Xbox One. That's how it works. People start to associate certain games with console. So when they think of that game, they think of the console they first saw and played it on.

omonimo

Banned
]
lol wasn't this expected? Metal Gear name is associated with PlayStation brand for YEARS. I am sure Mass Effect had similar ratio on Xbox 360 and PS3. Beside MGS 4 wasn't even on 360.

When next Titanfall drops, it will sell more on Xbox One. That's how it works. People start to associate certain games with console. So when they think of that game, they think of the console they first saw and played it on.
Wut

x-Lundz-x

I'm going to say with 99% certainty that when Titanfall 2 drops it sells more on the ps4, you can bank on it from where the difference in console hardware sales will be at alone. Just because it started on the xbox platform doesn't mean shit, for this game anyway.

You telling me you think mass effect 4 will also sell more on the xbox one because it started as an xbox franchise? I don't think so.

Top Bottom