• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes on PS4 triples Xbox One version sales

ocean

Banned
Game was just single player right? It would have been reversed if friends and ecosystem were a factor in the purchasing decision.
Exactly, just like.... oh wait there aren't any multiplats that have 3:1'd the PS4, multiplayer or not.

Oops.

PlayStation fans are used to paying for demos, amirite? Yeah, I bought it for the One, but only because it was the best choice during a buy 2 get 1 free sale @ the Microsoft store.

In b4 Xbox users have better taste argument...

Five_Minutes_Later.PNG

Depends. Should a console fan base feel pride in knowing they're more like to spend forty dollars on what is essentially a over-bloated demo? I would say no, but that's up to you to decide.

crinale can see the future

I don't know why this is surprising in the least bit. Metal gear has always been a Playatation franchise so more playstation owners would have bought the new one compared to xbox owners. Also there are simply more PS4s out the in the wild.

Bgamer90

Banned
That is just one of the reasons why it sold better, but it also has to do with a larger install base and the fact that MGS name is sort of synonymous with PS.

I'm positive that the results would be similar even if the Xbox One version ran better than the PS4 version for the reasons you've mentioned.

I like to see the sales numbers behind PS3 and Xbox 360.

Obvious PS4 outsold the Xbox One because MGS: Ground Zeroes came out when the Xbox One was really struggling.

This, I would love to see what the sales would be like if it were released today with Xbox One struggling.

Mrbob

Metal Gear Solid is tied to the Playstation brand. If the hardware power and install base were reversed the numbers would still favor Playstation.

Game was just single player right? It would have been reversed if friends and ecosystem were a factor in the purchasing decision.

Most definitely. Maybe one day Sony will stop struggling in selling the PS4.

Depends. Should a console fan base feel pride in knowing they're more like to spend forty dollars on what is essentially a over-bloated demo? I would say no, but that's up to you to decide.

Oh man it actually happened!
Hahahahaha amazing.

while on topic of mgs did kojima ever confirm if the mgs5 full game will be 1080p on x1? there is notable difference between ps4/x1 version

Nothing yet.

Every gameplay video for the Phantom pain this year has been running on PS4. I expect an increase to the resolution for the X1 version. Probably 900p

Me too. If not, at least they could give it free on PSPlus/GwG.

Any source of that? An almost 30% difference between PS3 and 360 is huge!

http://www.konami.co.jp/en/ir/ir-data/meeting/2014/0805_486481.pdf

ePfw1vC.jpg

METAL GEAR accounts for 44% of the 1.29 million units sold this quarter.

4% of software sold this quarter are for Xbone,
12% are PS4. All of which are GZ, because there was no other next gen titles.

8% of titles sold were Xbox 360, so some of those were MG and some were probably PES or something.

leaving at least 20% of all software being GZ on PS3.

To put it a simpler way, GZ covers almost half of that pie chart, so you can see where most of it would have to fit.

Nothing yet.

Every gameplay video for the Phantom pain this year has been running on PS4. I expect an increase to the resolution for the X1 version. Probably 900p

he never said, I think it's safe to assume it'll be just like ground zeroes though

thanks. hope he manages to get the x1 running better because im buying the console and this is one of my most anticipated games but x1 version looks last gen with all the jaggies

For those arguing it's traditionally a PlayStation franchise, are you suggesting XBone owners were largely unaware it was available for their platform?

I know Mehdi said they were primarily targeting people who "don't pay attention to a lot of the details," but geez.

For those arguing it's traditionally a PlayStation franchise, are you suggesting XBone owners were largely unaware it was available for their platform?

I know Mehdi said they were primarily targeting people who "don't pay attention to a lot of the details," but geez.

People argue that it is secondary to sales, but it is not like the game sold on a 1 game to 1 console basis on either system.

I think it comes down to the PS4 port was markedly superior to the X1 port and it came out around the time of Titanfall.

TopGun

Banned
The sales report makes me think about what if the game was sold on
Wii U and PC
, and how well it would do.

atr0cious

MGS5: Phantom Pain is going to be huge, and it looks like another system seller for the PS4 only.

I'm betting for some people like me, the next Sony platform isn't worth it til Metal Gear is on it. I couldn't secure a gunmetal PS3, but I'll be damned if I don't get the TPP PS4, whatever it is.

This shouldnt surprise anyone. More units of ps4 and this is one of the most well known Sony franchises ever. There are a lot more mgs fan buying Sony consoles than MS consoles

webkatt

Not bad for what is essentially a demo.

I'm left in awe to read people calling it a GOTY in another thread here.

BGMNTS

Not bad for what is essentially a demo.

I'm left in awe to read people calling it a GOTY in another thread here.

I got slammed for calling it a demo and being unhappy with the day 1 price.

It's a good demo and tutorial for all the mechanics in the game but its not enough of a game to be GotY :)

Averon

shocker..

this will be the case for almost every single mutliplatform game.

That would devastating to MS. Being outsold in software 3-1 may be even more damaging than the anemic hardware sales. I don't think even the PS3 performed that badly during its first year against the 360.

Cynn

The Metal Gear as a PlayStation franchise thing is funny, they started on MSX, a Microsoft platform.
I never got the whole thing where people only identify a series with one console or the other. I've played Metal Gear on NES, PSX, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, PSP, PS Vita, GameCube... Hell, I have the Bleemcast disc somewhere around here for it as well.

Top Bottom