• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Blade Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

Before I start, I knew nothing of the film, except that it was a sci-fi, dystopian type setting. Seeing Harrison Ford as the starring role was a surprise, and I didn't realise Ridley Scott had directed this. It seems relevant that I came off watching Alien for the first time to this film.

I'm not too fond of the Star Wars type narration sequences on screen, especially in the context of a new universe. Given that the director chose film to tell its story, he should utilise the medium effectively. But it was simple enough to follow, humans have now become 'God' and have created slaves to work on projects that are not fit or possible for human beings. The line that was particularly conflicting was 'it was not called execution. It was called retirement'. Replicants are only images of their creators, and can be deemed unworthy at any point with no moral contestation with their masters i.e. almost like domestic animals. These biblical references are scattered throughout the film. There is also prevalent socio-economic and metaphysical commentary in every scene in this film. It is a testament once again to Scott's fine cinematography, which seems to focus on illuminating dark spaces here. We have the main city constructed as a large pyramid structure, I assume, laid out vertically symbolising trickling down in terms of the socio-economics of this dystopian society. We have large glimpses into the almost totalitarian state with the masses at the bottom, seemingly on the fringes of poverty, and Trell with a majestic and renaissance apartment building. Just the difference between the colours of gold and blue at the top and bottom of this pyramid, amplified by the night backdrop, highlights the light and dark conflict in biblical imagery. I don't mind the obvious consumerism and advertisements in the film, as it reflects a society that seem largely ignorant to the wider issues. We even get to glimpse middle class life in the bar scene, complete with its renaissance fashion and lifestyle. The soundtrack is incredible. The combination of synths and classical instruments, usually on the piano, was a beautiful combination. It encapsulates the near futuristic setting, with its ominous and empty tones. The alternate CRT technology future is something I've enjoyed in 80's films. It was bizarre watching the Blade Runner's interview use tools that were crafted from basic chassis inputs, but futuristic internals and functions.

The first scene brilliantly sets the stage for how replicants were impossible to distinguish to the naked eye, and their threat status. You assume that this person was an ignorant and confused interviewee until the sudden gun shots and escape that ensued. However, as the film progressed to Roy and Pris, you started to empathise and understand the replicants' desire for freedom. I loved how this was contrasted with the scene in Sebastian's apartment where the Pris was hiding amongst the toys. The toys were another marvel to watch. They were an angelic equivalent to the replicants, who were harmless and innocent. Perhaps Sebastian created them because of his guilt after creating the replicants. At this point in the film, the replicant's became cold blooded killers, completely distinguishable in character and body language from Deckert.

When the creator, Tyrell, meets his creation, the plot had reached a turning point. The face when Roy realised he couldn't get an extension to his life, that it was impossible, and his later reactions to Tyrell and Sebastian were horrific. At first, I felt the ending where Drecker was pulled up by Roy was a cop out. But watching him come to terms with his inevitable death and talking to the hunter (who at this point is the hunted) is a potent ending to the rebel replicant's story. I liked how this was at odds with the other replicants, who seemed like demonic monstrosities instead of humanistic. Everyone must end at some point, and there are no cheating death. Again, the biblical imagery was strong at this point, as Roy was sitting in the rain, 'washing away his sins' - a confession to his masters. This segment along with the chase was the most human Drecker came across in the film, and not a single word was uttered by him.

But social commentary can only go so far. I felt some of the film's pacing and change of tone was odd and a bit spontaneous at times. Perhaps I can forgive some of the pacing issues due to the overtly beautiful world Scott has built here, but I can see why this could be a polarising film. The film transformed the replicants from cold hearted robots to humanistic creatures at the end, and the same with Drecker. The experimentation on Rachael helped blur the lines too. There were points in the first half hour of the film where I felt I was lost in this world, to the films merit and drawback. Maybe one more action or chase scene could have solved this, but this would have detracted from the scenic and ambient cinematography the film offered. Overall, I don't think I've ever experienced a film like this before, and I don't know how to judge it. But what I can say is that I throughly enjoyed it.

rutger-hauer-in-blade-runner.jpg

foxtrot3d

Banned
Too bad Deckard's a Replicant, not that I believe that crap. You can keep saying it Ridley but nobody believes it. Anyways, great movie all around.

Epoch-defining movie; the movie that showed how cyberpunk and near-future SF should look like for almost 20 years, till the first Matrix movie.

It's a little sad that so many people think it's boring. Not enough fart gags and action scenes for the contemporary crowds, I guess.

Amir0x

Banned
Too bad Deckard's a Replicant, not that I believe that crap. You can keep saying it Ridley but nobody believes it. Anyways, great movie all around.

plenty of people believe it and there is plenty of decent evidence in the films to at least think it is plausible, regardless of what the director says

that speech at the end will always send chills down my spine

Mr.Pig

plenty of people believe it and there is plenty of decent evidence in the films to at least think it is plausible, regardless of what the director says

that speech at the end will always send chills down my spine

How can we explain the unicorn origami if he isn't?

foxtrot3d

Banned
How can we explain the unicorn origami if he isn't?

Nonsense crap shoehorned in by a director that doesn't understand the ultimate purpose of his film. Deckard can't be a Replicant and have the movie make sense thematically, him being a Replicant ruins most aspects of the movie.

I always liked Phil Dick's impressions after having seen a sneak peek. Shame he never got to see the finished cut :'(

“This indeed is not science fiction,” Dick wrote in a letter available on his official site. “It is not fantasy; it is exactly what [star] Harrison [Ford] said: futurism. The impact of Blade Runner is simply going to be overwhelming, both on the public and on creative people — and, I believe, on science fiction as a field. [ ... ] Nothing we have done, individually or collectively, matches Blade Runner. This is not escapism; it is super realism, so gritty and detailed and authentic and goddam convincing that, well, after the segment I found my normal present-day ‘reality’ pallid by comparison.” 32 years on, many of us frequent Blade Runner-watchers feel just the same way, and Dick wrote that after catching nothing more than a segment about the picture on the news. “It was my own interior world,” he later told interview John Boonstra. “They caught it perfectly.”

One of my all time favorite movies that holds up really well on repeat viewings. One of the most wholly realized worlds put to film. That atmosphere can't be beat.

Porcile

Blade Runner must get the most Lttp's of any film. The last thread last week was different to this one as well, lots of criticism of the film in there.

foxtrot3d

Banned

Relationship with Rachel. Wow, great to robots are "in love" what's the problem with that? How's there any conflict? Roy was in a relationship with that other Replicant.

Relationship with Roy and Replicants. Despite the fact that we believe Deckard to be human he acts more cold and emotionally distant than these so called Replicants. He gives zero fucks about Rachel at first, has an indifferent attitude towards most people and things and has no problem cooly murdering these escaped Replicants. Roy and all the other Replicants from the start show a plethora of emotions, anger, fear, sadness, joy. By the end of the movie Roy is crying while Deckard just looks on. The movie shows a Replicant like Roy show Deckard what it means to be human, if he's also a Replicant then it's just another robot teaching another robot how to access their emotional subroutines.

The Morality of Deckard's Actions. Murdering Replicant's as his job with zero qualms about it, his investigative methods, etc. None of that matters if he's a Replicant programmed to do these things.

Good thing I just finished up MGS2 a few days ago for the first time as well.

And where's your LTTP thread for that?!

I thought this movie was so boring
Damning, but not entirely inaccurate, first post.

I love the film for the mark it's left on scifi and cyberpunk, but it kinda sucks that I watched it after seeing other stuff in the genre that was more appealing and relevant to me.

Epoch-defining movie; the movie that showed how cyberpunk and near-future SF should look like for almost 20 years, till the first Matrix movie.

It's a little sad that so many people think it's boring. Not enough fart gags and action scenes for the contemporary crowds, I guess.
Not the reason some find it boring. It's just quite pedestrian cyberpunk compared to some of the other stuff out there, even stuff from the same decade.

It's even a bit pedestrian compared to Alien (which is at least partly cyberpunk) and that came out some years earlier.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Sometimes I think a reason it feels boring to people is because narration was meant to play in many scenes, but now there's just prolonged shots of silence. But truly boring? Come on, what are you guys expecting?

Jasup

It's one of my most watched films, and one of my favourites.

I've never liked the idea that Deckard is a replicant. It's just because he's a pawn, forced by the circumstances to do what he's told to do. In this movie the humans, while being superior to replicants, are willingly oppressed and conformed to the circumstances around them. While the replicants are the ones who manifest rebellion, the yearning for freedom, life and self determination. They are the ones who thrive to be what humanity is all about.

More human than human, that's our motto.

Though Deckard does rebel in the end. Maybe he learnt from the replicants how to be a human.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Sometimes I think a reason it feels boring to people is because narration was meant to play in many scenes, but now there's just prolonged shots of silence. But truly boring? Come on, what are you guys expecting?
The narration was studio mandated because audiences found the movie hard to follow. But before you respond with the whole "but then why couldn't they have cut out those silent scenes?" bit...well, Ridley could have during the Final Cut...but he didn't. It was probably the same in the original workprint version, but I haven't seen that one.

a masterpiece. Alien, this and 2001 are probably the pinnacle of modern sci-fi
Yup. The holy trinity of sci fi movies, in my mind. Sorry, Star Wars fans.

Ezalc

Cool movie but the book was way better and the movie really fucked up the adaptation. Deckard isn't a replicant.

Nibel

A true masterpiece and to me the very definition of a perfect cyberpunk-themed thriller. There are many subtle messages throughout this movie about life and what it means to be alive; a lot of philosophy that you miss if you watch movies solely for plots and twists.

They don't do them like this anymore.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I've only seen the Final Cut, but outside of the great ending sequence it was hard to maintain interest throughout the film.

I bought a HD-DVD drive for my 360 simply to watch the Final Cut when it came out and it was worth it. Blade Runner is probably the pinnacle of pre-CG special effects and that transfer is amazing.

a masterpiece. Alien, this and 2001 are probably the pinnacle of modern sci-fi

That's how I see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom