• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Blade Runner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just tried watching this for the first time a few weeks ago. I thought it started off strong, but the quality dropped quickly and I didn't even bother to finish. I had such high hopes to.

Koriandrr

This is the film that made me fall in love with Harrison Ford.

Also, for anyone from high-gaf - this is by far the best experience I've had while high.
Nothing in any film has ever affected me as much as this moment:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Classic. One of my favourite films ever and I try to watch it at least once every year. It's always the film I recommend to my friends first.

Tomohawk

I watched it earlier this year for the first time, and thought a lot of scenes were really cliche, but overall liked it for its atmosphere and setting,

Ve1ocity

One of my favourite movies of all time, I've seen it like 20 times and still not bored of it.
Syd Mead is such a visionary, his artwork is incredible, I cannot wait for the sequel, pls make it good Ridley.

gabbo

So is Legend just Deckard's dream?

tumblr_lvwywayKn61qdku5lo1_500.gif

Now that would be an awesome twist. Young Sean Young > Mia Sara though

Great film. Director's cut is probably my favorite version, little errors and all. The Final Cut LOOKs amazing though, the cleanup they did was amazing. Problem I had with the Final Cut was that they removed a lot of the ambiguity on whether or not Deckard was a replicant. I think the film works best with that being unclear, with the big takeaway for me being: "does it even matter?"

Number_6

Nonsense crap shoehorned in by a director that doesn't understand the ultimate purpose of his film. Deckard can't be a Replicant and have the movie make sense thematically, him being a Replicant ruins most aspects of the movie.

This! The theme makes no sense if Deckard isn't human. The irony of having a robot value life more than a real human, and a human learning to value his life, is lost.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Also, was it ever explained or even hinted at why Deckard chose to come out of retirement? I figured he's a machine who's compelled to follow orders.
It was never really explained. Bryant pretty much states that he has no other choice but to take down the Replicants.

It's the best movie I've ever seen. And Decker is not a replicant. The movie raises a question of the possibility of Decker being one, but no, it just wouldn't make sense in larger scale.

inm8num2

Blade Runner blew me away the first time I saw it, and as a result I became more interested in viewing more older/classic films. Definitely a big part of my growing up and teenage years.

For awhile I considered it my favorite film. I'm not sure it has that spot anymore, though I can't really say what replaced it. Anyway, still a great movie after so many viewings.

I was ecstatic when the long awaited DVD/HD release was announced in 2007. Still have that briefcase. ;)

Watching the movie right now and stumbled across this thread. I am struggling to sit through it I won't lie. It's very drawn out, and I am struggling to understand it's appeal. Also I think anyone could of played Fords role, he just kind of mumbles through the lines.

Real Hero

I can't really put into words the films appeal beyond this: I could watch an entire tv series about deckard moodily walking around in the never ending rain, with that amazing soundtrack.

Please can you mention a couple of these cyberpunk movies that are better than Blade Runner. I'd love to watch them.
Okay, but some of them are pretty extreme.

-Tetsuo: The Iron Man
-964 Pinocchio
-Hellevator: The Bottled Fools
-Paranoia 1.0
-Equilibrium
-Save The Green Planet
-Death Powder
-Akira
-Immortel
-Videodrome
-City of Lost Children
(well it has the vibe of one, grim art direction)

That's just of the ones I've seen, I still need to watch some like Rubber's Lover, Nirvana and Requiem of the Black Rainbow (that one's tonight).

And that's not me saying Blade Runner isn't good; it's quite good actually. But it's not at the top of its class IMHO.

This one's pretty good too, just it cuts too close to the Terminator movies. And for all the shit it gets, I enjoy Death Machine quite a lot, in a slightly b-movie kind of way (I don't think it's that bad actually).

Dark City and city of lost children have a similar tone.
Yeah they do; I was just wondering if it would qualify as cyberpunk. It deals with some stuff cyberpunk usually deals with but it's also quite fantasy-based. I don't know if I could classify Dark City as cyberpunk either b/c it's more like a dark modern pulp-noir thing.

RoyalFool

Banned
Okay, but some of them are pretty extreme.

-Tetsuo: The Iron Man
-964 Pinocchio
-Hellevator: The Bottled Fools
-Paranoia 1.0
-Equilibrium
-Save The Green Planet
-Death Powder
-Akira
-Immortel
-Videodrome
-City of Lost Children
(well it has the vibe of one, grim art direction)

That's just of the ones I've seen, I still need to watch some like Rubber's Lover, Nirvana and Requiem of the Black Rainbow (that one's tonight).

And that's not me saying Blade Runner isn't good; it's quite good actually. But it's not at the top of its class IMHO.

Dark City and city of lost children have a similar tone.

Relationship with Rachel. Wow, great to robots are "in love" what's the problem with that? How's there any conflict? Roy was in a relationship with that other Replicant.

Relationship with Roy and Replicants. Despite the fact that we believe Deckard to be human he acts more cold and emotionally distant than these so called Replicants. He gives zero fucks about Rachel at first, has an indifferent attitude towards most people and things and has no problem cooly murdering these escaped Replicants. Roy and all the other Replicants from the start show a plethora of emotions, anger, fear, sadness, joy. By the end of the movie Roy is crying while Deckard just looks on. The movie shows a Replicant like Roy show Deckard what it means to be human, if he's also a Replicant then it's just another robot teaching another robot how to access their emotional subroutines.

The Morality of Deckard's Actions. Murdering Replicant's as his job with zero qualms about it, his investigative methods, etc. None of that matters if he's a Replicant programmed to do these things.

And where's your LTTP thread for that?!

I think ambiguity is ultimately the point rather than a straight yes/no answer, since it's what truly drives home the notion that there is virtually nothing to meaningfully differentiate replicant and human as far as what we would call sapient, sentient life.

The (excellent) Blade Runner computer game actually drove this point home very effectively. There are various characters you run a Voight-Kampff test on, and depending solely on the types of questions you ask them and in which order, those same characters can come out either replicant or human in different playthroughs. There is otherwise no way to tell what they truly are.

The ultimate point is that both human and replicant are fully conscious, self-aware, sentient entities deserving of agency and a way to live a full life that they create their own meaning for. It doesn't matter if Deckard is a replicant or not, and the most effective possible way to convey that thematic idea is to leave it completely ambiguous. It's a question that never needed and should never have had a direct answer.

You two get it (even if you have slightly different conclusions). I mostly like the Final Cut, but I just cannot stand the lack of ambiguity throughout.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
There was something I never really understood of the film: The symbolism of the unicorn. In the Final Cut, Deckard has dreams with an unicorn, at the end, he picks up an unicorn. What does it symbolize?

There was something I never really understood of the film: The symbolism of the unicorn. In the Final Cut, Deckard has dreams with an unicorn, at the end, he picks up an unicorn. What does it symbolize?

I am not very verbose in the metaphors of Blade Runner but i think that's meant to imply that his memories of the unicorn are implanted, and the origami is Gaff's way of showing Deckard that his memories are implanted.

Some say it indicates that Deckard is a replicant whose dreams were known/implanted.

I like to think it's about freedom / attaining the impossible.

I don't think it symbolizes anything.

More than that, a lot of people think it's a hint to realize that Deckard is indeed a replicant.

Deckard dreams about unicorns, Gaff left the unicorn there, which means he knows Deckard's dreams. The only explanation for that is Gaff had "access" to those dreams because they were implanted in the same way Rachael's ones.

Deckard being a replicant doesn't ruin anything in my opinion.

And yeah, Blade Runner is a true masterpiece, influential as hell and without a single doubt, the best Sci-Fi movie ever.

I don't think it symbolizes anything.

More than that, a lot of people think it's a hint to realize that Deckard is indeed a replicant.

Deckard dreams about unicorns, Gaff left the unicorn there, which means he knows Deckard's dreams. The only explanation for that is Gaff had "access" to those dreams because they were implanted in the same way Rachael's ones.

Deckard being a replicant doesn't ruin anything in my opinion.

And yeah, Blade Runner is a true masterpiece, influential as hell and without a single doubt, the best Sci-Fi movie ever.

It ruins the main theme of the film--if How are we to judge the humanity (or lack there of) the replicants, in the context of the film, when our main lead (who is compared and contrasted to them intentionally) is also a replicant? It doesn't lend itself to any discussion.

It ruins the main theme of the film--if How are we to judge the humanity (or lack there of) the replicants, in the context of the film, when our main lead (who is compared and contrasted to them intentionally) is also a replicant? It doesn't lend itself to any discussion.

It's a subversion of the viewer's expectations. Viewers will rest their ethical and moral expectations on Deckard's behavior with the initial assumption that he is a human. Introducing elements in the movie that make his humanity less credible both call attention to and exaggerate the notion that replicants are so indistinguishable from humans that their forced termination can be equitably as immoral and as unethical as forced termination of humans.

I see it from a totally different perspective:

The film show us that we'll reach a point where the machines (androids) will be so advanced that you will be unable to tell the difference between them and humans, and that blurry line also applies to how replicants behave toward other ones.

That's for me, one of the aspects of the movie that make it so fantastic, because the replicants not only look like us, they also behave likes us, which I do think make to ask ourselves: How do we define the term "human"?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I bought a HD-DVD drive for my 360 simply to watch the Final Cut when it came out and it was worth it. Blade Runner is probably the pinnacle of pre-CG special effects and that transfer is amazing.

That's how I see it.
Are you me? I did the exact same thing.

Thanks for sharing your impressions, OP. And yeah, maybe we do need an OT.

Kill3r7

Alien is better than Blade Runner AND 2001.

Alien certainly has greater replay value but Blade Runner and 2001 are easily the two best sci-fi films ever. I guess your enjoyment of the latter two is greatly depended on whether or not you enjoy hard science/cyberpunk vs military/alien invasion type sic-fi.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Some say it indicates that Deckard is a replicant whose dreams were known/implanted.

I like to think it's about freedom / attaining the impossible.

Well, that some includes Ridley Scott. But, like I said I don't care what he thinks, what matters is my interpretation.

dejay

Banned
Coincidentally I watched it again last night. Gets better every time. Hated it first time. The visuals and soundtrack alone are amazing.

I think it works because at the beginning of the film, the viewer is sure he's a human. The viewer begins to suspect and learn the truth the same time as Deckard. By this time, the viewer sees him as more human than not. By contrast, whilst we feel for the innocent and lovely Rachael, her emotions could be construed as being as faked as her memories, since we don't get inside her head as much.

Perhaps it's the cold, distantly observing Gaff who is the true representative of a compassionate and understanding human that many viewers want Deckard to be.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Coincidentally I watched it again last night. Gets better every time. Hated it first time. The visuals and soundtrack alone are amazing.

Same here, I didn't exactly hate it but I didn't get the hype. Now, it's one of my favs upon rewatching.

Fritz

Now that would be an awesome twist. Young Sean Young > Mia Sara though

I always try to connect those two. Legend was Scott's next film after Blade Runner (3 years apart). Everybody can agree that stylisticly they are the two milestones of Sci Fi and Fantasy. Like they should be part of a greater concept.

But there is nothing.

Stoze

The visuals and soundtrack are astounding, but the characters and dialogue feel a little flat and dated to me. Still an excellent movie though.

I didn't know that Ridley had confirmed Deckard as a replicant until I read this thread, I thought it was supposed to be left ambiguous. Not sure how I feel about that, though I don't think it changes my interpretation much. I took the ambiguity as saying they are so far down the rabbit hole in the evolution of technology that anyone could be a replicant and you wouldn't know it, and that there's an irrelevance looming beneath all the forefront themes and the man vs machine aspect. Thinking about it that way lends itself to the surreal dreamlike quality of the flim, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom