• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider timed Xbox exclusive for Holiday 2015 (No PS/PC, SE publish)

synce

Thanks.

Makes this more baffling that the budget for TR was $100 million.

Either SE spent way more on marketing or it took them twice as many people to make the game. Probably the latter since it was multiplatform although honestly I have no idea how much that affects budget :)

I think business practices need to be put into historical context.

Basically your argument ignores years of behavior of the SCE management and what value does your example from 1996 have in 2014?
It's like saying Sony not owning their IP in the PSX era is relevant in 2014 when they haven't operated that way for more than one decade.

So yes, if you're not going to argue the currently used strategies they've operated under for years which has actual relevancy in 2014 then I don't think your complaint is really relevant.

So you get to decide what is relevant and what isn't? Sony the market leader is very different from the Sony battling for market share. Their business practices are obviously going to change to reflect that.

Futaba

A lot of people are saying that this doesn't make the Xbox better for current owners, and only detracts from PS4 and PC players. However, I think the point of this is actually to make the console more enticing to people who haven't bought in to anything yet. That at least makes way more sense to me than the whole "this doesn't benefit me even though I own an Xbox" mentality.
I've actually seen this move turn off many people who were gradually warming up to the idea of buying an xbox one, so the effect goes both ways.

That makes the assumption that buying an entire console to play a game, is economically viable to everyone, and that they shouldn't be upset that the platform holder that wants them to buy this console, basically paid to make that purchase a requirement.

Well sure. Now you just need to spend an extra $400 to play the game. No biggie.

Well don't direct that towards me I was just translating since what he was saying wasn't getting through.

It sucks thats the case but that's the life of those with 1 or 2 platforms. I mean I'm buying a Wii U solely for Smash Bros and I'll be buying an Xbox for those exclusives.

Also I'm fairly sure if you're a console gamer you can probabky afford another console. Gaming is expensive as far as hobbies go. You might not want to or it doesn't make financial sense for you due to the overlap (which makes perfect sense) but you can probably get Rise of the Tomb Raider in like 2 years when the XB1 is cheap.

Chobel

No I meant that...look the term moneyhat is a made up concept in itself. Back in the day games were exclusives more often and the primary reason was money.

The actual act of "moneyhatting" today sucks for consumers. It usually includes a developer/publisher/platform feeding us bs that everyone knows is bs ("We haven't abandoned PlayStation go buy the Definitive edition again" or "We're not abandoning Xbox we're still making Destiny for Xbox").

That's changed with the past 2 generations but in this case I'm saying that Bloodborne and Tomb Raiders situations arent so dramatically different that one is evil while the other is great. They aren't the same either and I'd rather not live in such extremes.

But they are dramatically different. Sony actually is bringing a new game to PS4 with Bloodborne because the game otherwise wouldn't exist, MS are just delaying other versions of RoTR.

So yeah one is great (bloodborne) and the other is ... I wouldn't say evil but it's bad .

FranXico

A lot of people are saying that this doesn't make the Xbox better for current owners, and only detracts from PS4 and PC players. However, I think the point of this is actually to make the console more enticing to people who haven't bought in to anything yet. That at least makes way more sense to me than the whole "this doesn't benefit me even though I own an Xbox" mentality.

Before the exclusivity deal, the game would have been released on Xbox anyway. That's why there is no actual benefit.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
So you get to decide what is relevant and what isn't? Sony the market leader is very different from the Sony battling for market share. Their business practices are obviously going to change to reflect that.
No, I'm not the arbiter of what is relevant and what isn't. I thought my point was self-evident.

The currently employed software strategies of the platform holders affects the console gaming industry.
You seem to disagree with this, because you keep bringing up an example from 1996.

Kikujiro

can you point out an instance were a timed exclusive sold more on the delayed platforms ? it never happened. usually the delayed ports are just launched with minimal effort and a very small marketing campaign which makes sure it sells like shit.

In this case it will be even worse, the majority of fans are pissed, some will still buy the game, but I bet a lot of them will just wait for a price drop. TR2 is not going to hit 6 million copies like the first one, nice work S-E, shrinking the fanbase instead of making it bigger.

But they are dramatically different. Sony actually is bringing a new game to PS4 with Bloodborne because the game otherwise wouldn't exist, MS are just delaying other versions of RoTR.

So yeah one is great (bloodborne) and the other is ... I wouldn't say evil but it's bad .

Would the game otherwise not exist? Its an offshot of the Souls franchise made by a lot of the same people.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think this rubs off badly on Phil Spencer. Since becoming top dog, he has but over backwards to be the gamers friend. Yet here he is, supporting an anti consumer move like this. Obviously it is just business, but i think it paints a clearer picture of things than his overtly positive tweets about things and pretence that he has any thigh other than MS' interests at heart

Also, after Sony being pretty damn clear about their exclusivity in their opening segment ('these are completely exclusive, these are coming first to playstation'), the stonewalling and unwillingness to simply state the facts doesn't reflect well in Spencer or MS. They might want to give the impression that it is fully exclusive, but there is too much shit flying around now, and too much attention. They should just come out and clearly state if it is timed. They don't need to say how long for. A timed exclusive is still useful to them, and I think honesty and clarity around this would reflect well on them.

Phlebas

Banned
I think he's saying you still have the option to buy am Xbox and play it.

Oh ok just let me go out and do that then.

ceT4Zzw.jpg

David___

Banned
Would the game otherwise not exist? Its an offshot of the Souls franchise made by a lot of the same people.

New gen = new growing pains. Multiply that by 2 and the need of a PC version and the state of AAA in Japan. When they do a exclusive, they can learn the hardware and have help directly from the 1st party and funding for the game.

Toki767

I think this rubs off badly on Phil Spencer. Since becoming top dog, he has but over backwards to be the gamers friend. Yet here he is, supporting an anti consumer move like this. Obviously it is just business, but i think it paints a clearer picture of things than his overtly positive tweets about things and pretence that he has any thigh other than MS' interests at heart

I know a lot of the people that have met him say he's a great guy, but he's always come across as shady to me for some reason. Like he's one of those guys who tries to be nice but doesn't really sound sincere in his words.

It certainly makes me laugh at those "I believe in Phil Spencer" avatars though.

other than CD focusing on one platform thus delivering a better polished game

its a shit move but has 1 positive

For some reason, I'm not even convinced that this isn't a cross-gen title. The initial PR wording was coming Holiday 2015 on Xbox. Not Xbox One.

FranXico

I'm not sure what you meant by this. He is their employee, after all.

Bollocks

I read this thread and many of these posts and know if Sony made a short term exclusivity deal for Tomb Raider this thread would be much shorter and the tone would be considerably different.

Probably, but only because Sony would make it clear whether it's a PS exclusive or a first on PS type of exclusivity.

Half of the outcry stems from the fact that MS acts like it's a full exclusive when all signs point to timed.
Coupled with the fact that not even game journalists covering the event can get a straight answer. They treat them and us who can add 1+1 like idiots.

bidguy

Banned
On the weakest of the gen. Yeah right.

yeah but they can look pretty. quantum break looked nice :p

also the ps4 isnt really as powerful as some believe. isnt it like 30% or something ? or 50% ? thats some better effects here and there and 100p. you wouldnt get a substantially different game on your ps4.

benny_a

Who knows, what we do know that the Souls franchise as it today might not exist without Sony funding in the first place.

But to stop this dumb argument. This is the point:

Platform holder funding independent game developer to make first party game: Good
Platform holder paying third party multiplatform publisher to restrict game to one platform: Less good.

Examples for the former: Sunset Overdrive, Ryse, Bayonetta 2, Demon's Souls
Examples of the latter: Well... ;-)

MS securing Tomb Raider as an exclusive is a good thing, i dont understand why people are angry. Its a power play to remove games from their rivals, this happens in many other industries on an everyday bases, Business is Business.. this will only boost creativity and game innovation for Sony.

SFenton

Before the exclusivity deal, the game would have been released on Xbox anyway. That's why there is no actual benefit.

Yes, but before MS was courting potential buyers by saying Tomb Raider was on their system. Now, they can say that it's *only* on their system, which is a potential reason for people to buy in.

FranXico

Probably, but only because Sony would make it clear whether it's a PS exclusive or a first on PS type of exclusivity.

Half of the outcry stems from the fact that MS acts like it's a full exclusive when all signs point to timed.
Coupled with the fact that not even game journalists covering the event can get a straight answer. They treat them and us who can add 1+1 like idiots.

In fact, Sony did just that with Hellblade. They announced it as "making its console debut on PS4". And didn't even exclude PC with this.

Since it is clear that it is just a timed exclusive, nobody took an issue with it.

Brunobi02

Neo Member

This so much! Bloodborne is being developed by Fromsoft together with Sony Japan studio and is a spiritual sequel to demon souls, which was a Sony exclusive game to begin with. Remind me with MS studio is developing Tomb Raider?

I understand why this happened, both from Square and Microsoft's point of view... I just don't like it that much because this is possibly the most blatently time-exclusive exclusive ever. It kind of seems like a soft exclusive that was scraped together for positive PR (again, understandable) than anything substantial. You know, in a weird way, if I KNEW this wasn't coming out on the PC or PS4 eventually I'd jump all over an Xbone... But I know it's coming.

No, I'm not the arbiter of what is relevant and what isn't. I thought my point was self-evident.

The currently employed software strategies of the platform holders affects the console gaming industry.
You seem to disagree with this, because you keep bringing up an example from 1996.

My point is simply this: Market dominant Sony is different from battling for market share Sony. These different perspectives make for different choices as far as leveraging their product goes.

FranXico

Yes, but before MS was courting potential buyers by saying Tomb Raider was on their system. Now, they can say that it's *only* on their system, which is a potential reason for people to buy in.

Again, that benefits only Microsoft, not the people making their purchasing decisions.

mocoworm

Those bean counters at square are obviously aware of this. So, it makes you wonder how much dough ms has put forth to secure this deal.

Must have been substantial.

It sold double, but it still underperformed at retail. Estimates were 6m and it sold 3.6m. This means that they may not have planned a sequel, in which case MS may have funded it themselves or part funded development, just like they did with Titanfall.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/04/09/square-enix-reveals-sales-expectations-for-tomb-raider

...the publisher hoped to sell between 5 and 6 million copies of Tomb Raider in its first month, which would have placed it amongst some of the fastest-selling games ever. It managed 3.6 million

Tapejara

MS securing Tomb Raider as an exclusive is a good thing, i dont understand why people are angry. Its a power play to remove games from their rivals, this happens in many other industries on an everyday bases, Business is Business.. this will only boost creativity and game innovation for Sony.

Just because it's common place in other industries doesn't mean it's good for the consumer.

Toki767

It sold double, but it still underperformed at retail. Estimates were 6.5m and it sold 3.5m. This means that they may not have planned a sequel, in which case MS may have funded it themselves or part funded development, just like they did with Titanfall.

It sold 6.5 million as of June. It ended up being profitable.

SFenton

Again, that benefits only Microsoft, not the people making their purchasing decisions.

Which is business, right? And Sony, MS, and Nintendo are in this game for profit, right?

Microsoft wins because they woo some new consumers in that may have gone to other platforms for the game instead.

mocoworm

benny_a

My point is simply this: Market dominant Sony is different from battling for market share Sony. These different perspectives make for different choices as far as leveraging their product goes.
I agree that this calls for different strategies but right now we're benefiting from Sony battling for market share.

And their tactic for that was to increase quantity of first party games. They have the highest amount of employees working on first party content of any of the three platform holder.

I'm of the opinion that increasing the output of your first party games is positive, because it increases the total amount of games for game players. Paying multiplatform publishers does not do that.

EGM1966

Well of course it is. MS would be nuts to fund this (or very, very desperate) if the only goal was to try and slow up PS4 a bit.

The issue in my view, above all the low level discussion, is that on the evidence the reveal and strategy has gone badly do far.

I doubt Spencer expected to be grilled like the bad guy and end up forced to stick to "no further comment than our initial comment" like he was the bad guy mouthpiece for a huge corp.

I doubt CD or SE thought they'd get quite the mess they have in their forums or twitter feeds.

So far as I can see outside the Xbox fans MS are being painted as the bad guy, the media and social media is negative and in general MS are back as the big evil corp using money and dirty tactics.

That's hardly going to bring people over and to be honest after all the horror of the launch the last thing Spencer needs is this kind of PR.

Add to that general view on Sony post show is lots of new games and lots of fair exclusives.

Market perception is what's killing Xbox right now and helping Sony and this deal seems to have ended up playing right to the established narrative which is not a win for MS particularly in Europe.

So if it's obviously a timed exclusive, which I've known since the moment it was announced, what difference does it make if they don't admit it's timed? They aren't treating you like an idiot, you've already figured it out.

Top Bottom