• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLOODBORNE Impressions Thread : And so the Nightly Hunt Begins

http://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/2dgvcr/gamescom_i_got_a_special_1h_presentation_of/

Interesting thread from a German journalist who was in a behind-closed-doors Q&A with FromSoft. Highlights:

• Yes, the armory is a bit different though, but stat customization and weaponry will probably make a return with a few tweaks and new elements. But there will be lots of different clothing and armors throughout the game.
  • As far as I could tell: No. You got weapons now with different ammunition. No more magic.
  • The presented demo had two characters that you could choose. But they said that they will be highly customizable (like in the Souls games) and have RPG-elements so that every character should feel like one you made yourself.
  • Stats will make a return and will be similar to the Souls series. "Take from that, what you will" But they will bring in new ideas and change some of the already known system.
  • The death penalty is not finalised. Right now you only have to get back your "souls" (they aren't souls in this game apparently) and have only one chance to retrieve them. They don't know what else will happen yet.
  • They want to reach new people by implementing and tweaking some mechanics, but want to maintain everything that the original fans love about the games, e.g. the difficulty, the feel etc.
  • Now with the healing items gone and a limited usability of the vials (estus equivalent) you can only get HP back with the regain-system, which, as far as I can tell, can only be used if you are well-versed in the game.
  • Yes, there areas where you have limited mobility (waist high water/marsh levels)
  • You can buy and craft bullets and they have different status effects
  • Certain enemies will take advantage of the regain system to take health back from you
  • Torches are useful
He also mentions shields being in the game.

Surely we will get some direct feed soon.

Maybe TGS. They are going reveal the online aspects at TGS I believe.

http://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/2dgvcr/gamescom_i_got_a_special_1h_presentation_of/

Interesting thread from a German journalist who was in a behind-closed-doors Q&A with FromSoft. Highlights:

• Yes, the armory is a bit different though, but stat customization and weaponry will probably make a return with a few tweaks and new elements. But there will be lots of different clothing and armors throughout the game.
  • As far as I could tell: No. You got weapons now with different ammunition. No more magic.
  • The presented demo had two characters that you could choose. But they said that they will be highly customizable (like in the Souls games) and have RPG-elements so that every character should feel like one you made yourself.
  • Stats will make a return and will be similar to the Souls series. "Take from that, what you will" But they will bring in new ideas and change some of the already known system.
  • The death penalty is not finalised. Right now you only have to get back your "souls" (they aren't souls in this game apparently) and have only one chance to retrieve them. They don't know what else will happen yet.
  • They want to reach new people by implementing and tweaking some mechanics, but want to maintain everything that the original fans love about the games, e.g. the difficulty, the feel etc.
  • Now with the healing items gone and a limited usability of the vials (estus equivalent) you can only get HP back with the regain-system, which, as far as I can tell, can only be used if you are well-versed in the game.
  • Yes, there areas where you have limited mobility (waist high water/marsh levels)
  • Certain enemies will take advantage of the regain system to take health back from you
  • Torches are useful

Waist high water....welp you know what that means:

52_en_leechmongerarchstone.gif

Enemies using the regen system as well....I never thought of that but imagine if there are enemies that try to specifically abuse this when fighting against you.

Enemies using the regen system as well....I never thought of that but imagine if there are enemies that try to specifically abuse this when fighting against you.

When someone asked about it the FromSoft person said "Hahahaha. Well. The normal enemies don't. Take from that, what you will."

Also super hyped about limited healing. Farmable healing items is so dumb.

Lucent

Surely we will get some direct feed soon.

Yeah it's kind of annoying that they haven't. If the public can play it, then it should be fine for people to see. Bethesda is letting early builds of The Evil Within be shown through direct feed by ppl like PewDiePie and stuff. Obviously they're not gonna have a lets player show it off, but I just want some direct feed of someone from the team playing it or maybe just show us that presentation that the press got to see. Or even like 5-10 minutes of it. Don't wanna spoil much, just want to see it like others can see it.

BadWolf

• Torches are useful

Thanks for the highlights.

Very interesting, especially the part about healing items being gone.

One of the things that crossed my mind after first hearing about the Regain system is attempting bosses/areas without using healing items.

Wonder what percentage of the HP you gain back via Regain after taking damage.

No Magic is probably for the best. I wussed out in Dark Souls 2 and pretty much played only magic. Tried a Melee play through when I beat the game but I had no idea how anybody could do that all game since it was so hard.
Same thing with Demon Souls. Only beat it because I abused the crap out of Soul Arrow.

This game is going to be a challenge for me.

• Torches are useful

Enemies having regain mechanics is awesome. I'm really liking what I hear about it. It's skill-based and results in "less punishment".

Boss fight starts, everything is going well so far. Until the boss gets to halfway health and seemingly becomes more aggressive. The thing starts countering alot more after your attacks, you look down and the boss is back at 3/4 of its health.."OH SHIT"

If this mechanic is done right the enemy encounters in this game will truly be a fight for survival and willpower. I seriously cant fucking wait!

No Magic is probably for the best. I wussed out in Dark Souls 2 and pretty much played only magic. Tried a Melee play through when I beat the game but I had no idea how anybody could do that all game since it was so hard.
Same thing with Demon Souls. Only beat it because I abused the crap out of Soul Arrow.

This game is going to be a challenge for me.

I did all 3 souls games melee only.
I only used magic to buff my weapons.
Does that count?
lol

BadWolf

Also, you can see the system in play at the very beginning of this video (I assume him getting hit happened just before the start): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRjCbboq-10

Looks to be about 5-10% per hit, but who knows what it'll end up being.

That is actually quite a bit more than I thought, figured you would just get a sliver but he got a nice chunk back within a couple of hits. It makes sense though considering the lack of healing items.

Some great animation on those enemies.

That is actually quite a bit more than I though, figured you would just get a sliver but he got a nice chunk back within a couple of hits. It makes sense though considering the lack of healing items.

Some great animation on those enemies.

I say take it with a grain of salt. It's so far from launch that it's bound to change. I'm sure it also depends on how big of a hit you took.

Isn't the Regain system only supposed to heal recent wounds, though? And the amount you can heal diminishes the longer you take to attack back.

Gundy2010

When someone asked about it the FromSoft person said "Hahahaha. Well. The normal enemies don't. Take from that, what you will."

The reason I think Dark Souls is a huge improvement over Demon Souls. Too bad DS2 fucked it up once again.

Sevyne

I would kind of like if they did a day/night cycle that had an impact on the world around you. Like at night more difficult/rewarding enemies come out. During the day things were a little bit safer (not exactly easy though), but lesser rewards. Would make a lot of sense to me, because it seems like the non-human/menacing creatures would be out at night anyway.

Like, having some of the humanoid-type threats turn into these creatures at night or something, and others go into hiding to escape the threat. Would be a pretty cool sight to see.

Isn't the Regain system only supposed to heal recent wounds, though? And the amount you can heal diminishes the longer you take to attack back.

Right. Time window is probably a couple of seconds. I think what happens when you lose life (lets say 300HP) you will see the lost life turn to a yellow bar. If you hit the enemy while that bar is present you will get life back but not all of it (lets say 100HP). So to regain all your life back from the hit you need to hit the enemy 3 times within that window. I don't think you can actually gain life from it (only take back what you have lost).

Sevyne

Right. Time window is probably a couple of seconds. I think what happens when you lose life (lets say 300HP) you will see the lost life turn to a yellow bar. If you hit the enemy while that bar is present you will get life back but not all of it (lets say 100HP). So to regain all your life back from the hit you need to hit the enemy 3 times within that window. I don't think you can actually gain life from it (only take back what you have lost).

Kind of like a more player engaged fighting game health bar. For example in MvC you had the red bar behind the health bar, and that was active regen but not effective health. If you weren't being hit your health would regen as far as that red bar. In Bloodborne instead of pure regen, you actively have to earn that back through landing hits and not being hit and the window for it being much smaller since that bar would not remain static.

I kind of like it. It encourages people to take risks instead of running away. The lack of healing items also really supports that. Should be interesting.

BumRush

If you approach a demon door with 5% health, there's no way to regain your health before the fight? That seems off. I'm sure there is some kind of healing item. The regain system is only for "recent" wounds...

Kind of like a more player engaged fighting game health bar. For example in MvC you had the red bar behind the health bar, and that was active regen but not effective health. If you weren't being hit your health would regen as far as that red bar. In Bloodborne instead of pure regen, you actively have to earn that back through landing hits and not being hit and the window for it being much smaller since that bar would not remain static.

I kind of like it. It encourages people to take risks instead of running away. The lack of healing items also really supports that. Should be interesting.

Right though I'm not sure if that yellow bar decrease over time or stays static and disappears altogether after the time period.

If you approach a demon door with 5% health, there's no way to regain your health before the fight? That seems off. I'm sure there is some kind of healing item. The regain system is only for "recent" wounds...

You have blood vials effectively the Estus of Bloodborne. If you have run out of vials then no healing.

BadWolf

There are Vials (replacements for Estus Flasks) for healing.

Seems they removed the other stuff you could use aside from that like grass, humanity, healing crystals etc.

Boss fight starts, everything is going well so far. Until the boss gets to halfway health and seemingly becomes more aggressive. The thing starts countering alot more after your attacks, you look down and the boss is back at 3/4 of its health.."OH SHIT"

If this mechanic is done right the enemy encounters in this game will truly be a fight for survival and willpower. I seriously cant fucking wait!

Hm. What I took from enemies taking advantage of the regen system is that there are enemies specifically built to know that you're going to be aggressive to get health back. So their attack patterns will be more likely to trap too aggressive players. Not that the enemies themselves use the regen system. But if they do, that's fucking scary.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

• Torches are useful

This sounds awesome. Very happy to hear that "you get one chance to get your souls/whatever back if you die - die again, and they're gone forever" is back. That kind of risk/reward stuff is so important to these games.

Someone said they were finding blood vials all over the place in the demo though. But maybe they won't be so common in the final game.

Awesome! I hope we get some genuinely dark areas like before Dark Souls II was butchered graphically:
468px-DarkSoulsII_reveal_13.bmp.png

Well, you only need to look to DkS1 for that. Tomb of the Giants is dark as all hell unless you have a light spell or something else to light up the place. I had to take a long detour to get that, just couldn't do it in the dark.

Sevyne

You will have something similar to the Estus Flask for healing too. You just won't have buyable/farmable healing items. This means you'll want to use the item wisely instead of spam popping it. It's basically just encouraging you to take more in the moment risks and saving your usable heal more sparingly for those "oh shit" moments.

Sevyne

Right though I'm not sure if that yellow bar decrease over time or stays static and disappears altogether after the time period.

True, but either way it will disappear in some form after a small period of time whether it be depleting over time or all of it at once after a short time. Either one still gives that sense of urgency, just in slightly different ways.

Edit: Crap. Sorry for the double post. Wasn't paying attention and though I edited my previous one.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Blood vials. They're more like the grass in DeS than Estus in DkS from what I've understood, in that you find/buy them and they don't replenish automatically.

Hm. What I took from enemies taking advantage of the regen system is that there are enemies specifically built to know that you're going to be aggressive to get health back. So their attack patterns will be more likely to trap too aggressive players. Not that the enemies themselves use the regen system. But if they do, that's fucking scary.

Yo Says it right here!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You will have something similar to the Estus Flask for healing too. You just won't have buyable/farmable healing items. This means you'll want to use the item wisely instead of spam popping it. It's basically just encouraging you to take more in the moment risks and saving your usable heal more sparingly for those "oh shit" moments.

Pretty sure this is wrong. Blood vials are found here and there like the grass in DeS (which likely means they are not like Estus), and you can probably buy them. Don't know if you can farm them from enemies though.

Yep, I think I saw a video or read an article somewhere where they said that the healing item (blood vial) is no longer mapped to item usage but is dedicated to the triangle button. The intent of this is to apparently encourage more item usage instead of folks that tend to stick to only having Estus/Lifegems equipped. Coupled with new regain system, there is a lot of tweaks and shakeups to the combat to encourage more offensive and aggressive playstyle.

I suppose two-handing, or at least choosing between two hands and one is no longer a choice. It is either one or two depending on the weapon. They also said L1 is no longer used to block, but instead the toggle for transforming the weapon.

Someone said they were finding blood vials all over the place in the demo though. But maybe they won't be so common in the final game.

You're right, I remember reading that as well. Seems like the Reddit person was mistaken. Ugh, I really hate farmable consumables. Lifegems and grass really take away from the overall tension of the game I feel.

Sevyne

Pretty sure this is wrong. Blood vials are found here and there like the grass in DeS (which likely means they are not like Estus), and you can probably buy them. Don't know if you can farm them from enemies though.

Hmmm. Well I'm not afraid to admit I'm wrong if I am. I could have sworn they were like Estus. If they aren't then whoops! Sorry about the misinformation. I do kind of wish they were like Estus though. I'd rather it be limited in that sense.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hmmm. Well I'm not afraid to admit I'm wrong if I am. I could have sworn they were like Estus. If they aren't then whoops! Sorry about the misinformation. I do kind of wish they were like Estus though. I'd rather it be limited in that sense.

Yeah, I had hoped they'd go with something Estus-like too. But I'm sure it will be fine. Or maybe this is part of them trying to make it more accessible. Instead of being limited to 10/whatever heals per "checkpoint" you can farm vials and be set for a long time if you wish. Not really a fan of that, but we'll see.

What would be really cool is if they were like Estus but you had to refill them with blood (which I think takes the role of souls in this game?), so you'd have to decide between using your blood to do that or to level up or whatever (like choosing between leveling up or upgrading stuff in Souls). But that wouldn't exactly make it more accessible, I guess. Could also get a bit annoying if you die twice in a row and thus have no blood to refill them with. You'd basically have to carefully farm blood at that point, which might not be very fun.

Top Bottom