• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50% of "Tearaway: Unfolded" content will be new and not seen in the VITA version

jwk94

When is this supposed to come out? I just downloaded my PS Vita version and idk if I should just wait.

VanWinkle

I figured that would be the case. A lot of the game depended on Vita's unique inputs. I hope they add some more stuff to make the game longer, too.

So should I just not playthrough my vita version?

No you definitely should. For one there will be too long a wait for the PS4 version, and two, they will be sufficiently different that you still should play the Vita version.

Game was so beautiful and charming. I'm buying it just to support the game and the IP. I hope it is a bigger hit on the PS4 and lands a few sequels.

wrowa

The Vita version felt rushed to completion anyway. So, very nice to hear that this version is going to have more content.

Still, I'm not sure if I'm interested if they don't overhaul the gameplay in a meaningful way too. Tearaway is gorgeous to look at, it's quite simply a really beautiful world, but I didn't think there was much in the ways of gameplay. For a platformer it was, you know, missing actual platforming. It wasn't focused on battles either, since dying would just respawn you on the same spot anyway, making dying meaningless. It's kinda just walking around in a beautiful world, which is cool, but I felt like it was missing any real substance.

mp1990

Banned
So happy that this game is coming to PS4,now i have no reasons to buy a Vita.Will the game be full price or $15/20 ?

UrbanRats

I thought this was going to be a full blown new game.
So 50% is half of what i expected.

Not a big deal since i didn't play the Vita version in the first place.

zeromcd73

Day 1 so hard.

I also remember hearing something elsewhere that it was also releasing within 6 months. Anyone got more info on that?

Wozman23

This whole announcement is like a manic depressive rollercoaster for a person who just wants a new, full sequel.

I'm around 50% hyped for this.

The Vita version felt rushed to completion anyway. So, very nice to hear that this version is going to have more content.

Still, I'm not sure if I'm interested if they don't overhaul the gameplay in a meaningful way too. Tearaway is gorgeous to look at, it's quite simply a really beautiful world, but I didn't think there was much in the ways of gameplay. For a platformer it was, you know, missing actual platforming. It wasn't focused on battles either, since dying would just respawn you on the same spot anyway, making dying meaningless. It's kinda just walking around in a beautiful world, which is cool, but I felt like it was missing any real substance.

This, it's mostly a boring game that looks nice. It has a few moments of brilliance where platforming kind of matter but then goes back to boring collectathons. Tearaway needs a lot of work to be a good platformer.

Makes sense. I'm on board! And yes, to anyone who hasn't played the Vita version and is considering it: play the Vita version, it'll be its own special experience that you can't get on PS4.

mreddie

It's gonna be interesting to see what got cut and added from the Vita edition. The original game is underrated. Wonder if we'll get Gravity Rush and Golden Abyss on the PS4?

Only thing I hope they change is maybe make the combat a little more interesting. Besides that I'm glad this IP is getting more attention!

Mdesilva

They basically tried to make a port but due to the nature of the game had to make half of it new content.

That's okay by me.

Ridley327

I'm not surprised. The last couple of levels in particular are going to have to be dramatically different since they don't have that functionality anymore.

I'm really curious to see how they're going to handle one major part of the game now (MAJOR SPOILERS, DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT):
The level where you eventually happen upon the drill is going to have to be completely different, since they really can't do the surprise propaganda stuff anymore.

I too was surprised, In the conference they made it sound like it was a completely new game. So much recycled games content this gen. Year of the hd remasters.

so1337

Sounds good to me. I was hoping for a completely new game when they showed this at the GC conference but I'm certainly not complaining about a quasi remake/half-sequel.

Why don't they just make it a proper sequel?

Probably because this is essentially a side project. Since the sales weren't great on vita it's a good chance to see if the series has legs without putting all the risk into developing a new title.

The Lamp

Because the whole point is that most people never got to experience the original because it was on a dead platform, and considering how poorly the original did, it probably wasn't financially justifiable to greenlight a full studio effort sequel.

Ovek

7Member7
The sad thing about Tearaway on the PS4 is that your face will no longer be the sun :( It might support the PS4 cam but who has one.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Well, no shit? There's a huge chunk of the game that won't translate over because of very specific control methods the Vita has.

Rather this be a whole new game... I don't know if this translates over real easy... it was purpose built Vita to start with.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
You can put your face in the sun if you have a PS4 cam. However, this is a totally useless gimmick anyway, it's not as if it had any gameplay merits. Sadly, many aspects in Tearaway don't seem to be optimized towards mechanical gain.

Agent X

They probably wanted to retell the story from the original Vita game, but couldn't do it exactly the same way as they did in that game (because of the differences in inputs). Many PS4 owners don't have a Vita, so this is a great introduction to draw them in. At the same time, they offer enough new content for Vita fans that they might also want to pick up this game.

Top Bottom