• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50% of "Tearaway: Unfolded" content will be new and not seen in the VITA version

Certinty

Would have preferred it to be more than that, but either way I'll still get the game, just not at launch, probably down the line when it's a bit cheaper.

The Vita version felt rushed to completion anyway. So, very nice to hear that this version is going to have more content.

Still, I'm not sure if I'm interested if they don't overhaul the gameplay in a meaningful way too. Tearaway is gorgeous to look at, it's quite simply a really beautiful world, but I didn't think there was much in the ways of gameplay. For a platformer it was, you know, missing actual platforming. It wasn't focused on battles either, since dying would just respawn you on the same spot anyway, making dying meaningless. It's kinda just walking around in a beautiful world, which is cool, but I felt like it was missing any real substance.
Maybe they'll add a Hard mode that addresses that. I also heard you don't actually start out with jumping in the Vita game, you unlock it later is that true? Weird.

But I'll definitely be getting this next year along w/ a PS4.

This is pretty obvious, isn't it? They'll simply have to rework much of the game in order to make it playable on a DS4. The two versions will be very similar experiences (I expect the same narrative and end goal) but they will be two distinctly different games.

Which means I'm all in on this new version. Loved the Vita game, despite the lack of depth in platforming. I hope Mm will take the time to add some meat to the bone in a few places there.

Ridley327

Maybe they'll add a Hard mode that addresses that. I also heard you don't actually start out with jumping in the Vita game, you unlock it later is that true? Weird.

You can't jump until near the end of the second level, but it's honestly not so weird in the context of the game.

Pfft, they should have just made a full-fledged sequel and be done with it. Now I can't even get properly excited for this because I've already played half the game.

GobFather

Yes, will buy it again.

BTW, it doesn't look like the camera part will be not implemented right? I will miss seeing myself :(

Maedhros

Hope you guys enjoy it. I would still recommend the Vita version if you guys can play that too. It'll be a completely different experience.

Metallix87

It's not a true platformer. It's a collect-a-thon with some platforming and action elements. Not a lot of platforming really until the last hour or so of the game. Most of the game is you running around collecting random bits and bolts and also being forced to beat up the same two or three enemies over and over and over and over and over again.

RalchAC

I guess I'll skip the Vita version then.

I've seen it for like 17€ brand new on Amazon. If you have a Vita I don't see a reason why you shouldn't get it and a ton of reasons why you should.

I've bought, finished, and platinumed Vita's Tearaway and I know I'm gonna be there day-one for the PS4 remake. It's really, really good and I hope they're able to take a good profit from it and make it a
(not milked, please)
franchise.

Well, it makes sense. It's kind of like a tutorial They want you to understand how to use the back touchpad to jump and do stuff and, once you've finished the first level, you learn how to jump.

It's weird, I know. You'll understand it better if you played. I think it wasn't a bad idea to "lock" the jump for a while since it forced you to learn how to use other mechanics to go through the first level.

Spiegel

You can put your face in the sun if you have a PS4 cam. However, this is a totally useless gimmick anyway, it's not as if it had any gameplay merits. Sadly, many aspects in Tearaway don't seem to be optimized towards mechanical gain.

Having your face in the sun was a fundamental part of the game
and ending.

It wasn't a totally useless gimmick.

nikos

This pleases me. That being said, I'd play through the game again even if it were identical to the Vita version.

Amir0x

Banned
and ending.

yeah it was essential to the effectiveness of their story

there's a lot that must need changing now, so I'm interested to see how they let their creativity fly now that they're on PS4

and ending.

Yeah, the player's role in the story ended up being essentially the main theme of the game. Wonder how they'll get around it for the PS4 version.

Anyway, day 1 for me. Hopefully it'll sell enough to warrant a sequel down the line.

Mmmyes. This is perfect! I have yet to play through my vita version, and now I think I'll just hold off until this one comes out.

wouwie

I guess MM want to see how the franchise will do on PS4 before doing a proper sequel. Financially, it makes sense to remake the first one before investing money into a sequel. Games like Tearaway don't sell enough to justify taking big risks. After all, the vita version apparently didn't sell too much either despite getting good reviews and making excellent use of the vita.

I'm super excited for a PS4 Tearaway. I hope MM adds a bit more platforming to this version.

Servbot24

Banned
Everyone should still play the Vita version. There are lots of gameplay elements which use the Vita in ways not possible on PS4. Not to mention this is a game easily worth playing twice even if it were the same thing, which it won't be.

megalowho

Big fan of Tearaway but this project feels strange to me, at least in this announcement phase. I really appreciated how the capabilities of the handheld directly fed into the story and themes of the Vita game, was one of the things that made it special. It will lose some of that magic if themes as well as mechanics need to be altered and reimagined to make it about the Dualshock. I will play it and have faith in Media Molecule to make fun new paper mechanics and worlds, but straddling a middle ground between port and sequel within the framework of the original sounds like a difficult task to get right.

Didn't it sell poorly on Vita? Probably waiting to see how it performs this time before making a sequel.

According to VG Chartz (no idea how accurate), Tearaway sold a "whopping" 360k on Vita, which is sadly still good enough for #17 all-time on Vita. Uncharted is the only Vita game to sell more than 1M copies.

Hopefully it will find a bigger audience on PS4, even if the install base isn't dramatically bigger right now.

eznark

Banned
More content is not something this game needed. Kind of dragged in parts for me. The ending was amazing though.

Hmm already played it on Vita and it was pretty cute. Might look into this after a price drop. I'm actually pretty curious how they'll go about using the camera and what changes they've made for the lack of touch controls. Should make it different enough to make for a new experience.

KiteGr

Whats the point of Tearaway on a non Vita console?
That game was created to make full use of all of psvita's gimicks.

It's like porting the original Ape Escape on a non dual shock console.
You know it's gona be a crappy port no mater how many extras they add.

co1onel

Whats the point of Tearaway on a non Vita console?
That game was created to make full use of all of psvita's gimicks.

It's like porting the original Ape Escape on a non dual shock console.
You know it's gona be a crappy port no mater how many extras they add.

Not really. My assumption is the added content is to make up for the vita segments that they can't include on a PS4 controller.

Top Bottom