• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sell me on buying a WiiU

Platy

Also, not being a Nintendo gamer, does that mean you never had a gamecube? Because the original Wii can still play that one too, while the Wii U can't. GCN also had several of the best games of it's generation and again, tons of hidden gems - while Wii U just had a 2 year long drought and again, isn't gonna be worth it until it has more games accumulated at the end of 2016 or something. I have always been gaming primarely on Nintendo platforms, but I unfortunately can't deny that the WiiU is quite a trashy product and if you aren't a Nintendo fan to begin with, or you wanna get into their libraries, this would be by far the worst choice you can make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toZ4FaFz1SQ

geordiemp

Also, I've tried as hard as I can to google search Beyond3d for the analysis of the screens you keep telling me about but I keep getting nothing. .

http://beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1853141

Posts 4039 / 4040 - pixel counters on Zelda at E3

No problem. Maybe there is a PC version for bullshots / press and magazines...

Screenshot they used looks the same as the GIF to me.

Don't get me wrong, I would buy it in a heartbeat if it looked like that...I'm just a pessimistic old sod...

just wish the practice would go away already.

Chindogg

Hmm, where can I get those? Gamestop? Radio Shack? My external is the nonpowered kind. This news is kind of a problem because I wanted to get an ethernet adapter and the Gamecube controller adapter for it. But the Y-cable would take up two slots, the ethernet adapter another, and from I've seen the GC adapter takes up two USB slots.

Is the wireless good enough to ditch the ethernet adapter?

I don't use an ethernet adapter so I couldn't tell you for certain. However a y-cable is like $3.50 on Amazon.

Sami+

Do you LOVE Nintendo games? If yes, get one. If no, don't get one.

I kind of regret getting mine because the only game I like on it is Kart.

fred

Do you like Nintendo games?

Cuz thats what youll get

Not just Nintendo games, there are good quality third party games available too:

ZombiU
Rayman Legends (multiplatform but a better experience on the Wii U imo)
Arkham City (see above)
Deus Ex (see above)
Splinter Cell Blacklist (see above)
Lego City Undercover (not strictly third party but not exactly a 'Nintendo' title either)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

And then you've got the likes of Devil's Third, Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles X on the way too.

Krejlooc

Banned
it's probably got the best library of the 3 modern consoles at the moment, and the wii games you haven't played will pad the list. Seems like a fairly safe purchase right now. Even if it falls behind going forward, I think you could list maybe 10-20 games across the Wii and WiiU that you'd be interested in, which is enough to justify a purchase IMO.

Xenoblade Chronicles X

This is a Nintendo game.

Sami+

"Best Library" depends almost ENTIRELY on whether or not you're into Nintendo's game design and aesthetic, and arguably whether or not you have a gaming PC.

Personally I own more PS4 games and am interested in more upcoming games for that system than the Wii U. Personally (don't lynch me Nintendo-GAF).

For upcoming games the only confirmed ones I really want are Smash and Zelda, so there's a good chance that by the end of 2015 I'll have a grand total of three Wii U games. Not really worth it honestly. Judge for yourself if you've got enough interest to justify a purchase.

it's probably got the best library of the 3 modern consoles at the moment, and the wii games you haven't played will pad the list. Seems like a fairly safe purchase right now. Even if it falls behind going forward, I think you could list maybe 10-20 games across the Wii and WiiU that you'd be interested in, which is enough to justify a purchase IMO..

This. Look at the catalog of available and upcoming games. If any 3 of them appeal to you, it's worth the purchase. Play and enjoy them. Explore the very cheap Wii back catalog. Buy some inexpensive VC games. Have fun!

I wouldn't bother, you sound like you have your console bases covered. Spend the extra on PS4 / XBone games.

Did you read the thread title? You're off topic man.

Edit : I'm not saying there are no good reasons to buy an Xbox One or a PS4... just that "sell me on..." means that if you can't find arguments to justify the purchase just say that you don't find the system appealing (even if it's as useless to say this imo) or don't post. It's just a good way to derail things.

ozfunghi

"Best Library" depends almost ENTIRELY on whether or not you're into Nintendo's game design and aesthetic, and arguably whether or not you have a gaming PC.

Such bullshit.

Monster Hunter
ZombiU
Fatal Frame
Bayonetta (2)
Wonderful 101
Xenoblade X

Even though some of those are funded by Nintendo or even owned by Nintendo, they are far from what you call "being into Nintendo's game design and aesthetic".

Such bullshit.

Monster Hunter
ZombiU
Fatal Frame
Bayonetta (2)
Wonderful 101
Xenoblade X

Even though some of those are funded by Nintendo or even owned by Nintendo, they are far from what you call "being into Nintendo's game design and aesthetic".

It's been the same since gamecube times.
Last ridiculous thing I heard was a guy complaining that Nintendo made Bayonetta 2 too colorful and therefore "Nintendo-kiddy". whatever that means.
it's tiring

chadboban

http://beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1853141

Posts 4039 / 4040 - pixel counters on Zelda at E3

No problem. Maybe there is a PC version for bullshots / press and magazines...

Screenshot they used looks the same as the GIF to me.

Don't get me wrong, I would buy it in a heartbeat if it looked like that...I'm just a pessimistic old sod...

just wish the practice would go away already.

Yeah, I wish the practice would end myself. I do believe that the game will look like the video shown though and and do think they may be able to get it to run at 1080p/30 considering that they managed to achieve that with Wind Waker HD and that port was done in just 6 months and this new Zelda is built from the ground up for Wii U. And considering that the games share a similar artstyle and what looks like similar lighting as well. That being said, I won't be surprised if it's 720p/30. I probably won't mind it that much either. I do agree with your overall point though, bullshots need to stop.

Now I think we've derailed OP's thread enough as it is. Maybe we should end this here :)

Interesting thread, especially since I've too been on the fence for couple of days now. Saw someone selling it in my town (Mario Kart 8 Premium Bundle), and I'd like to know couple of things (sorry for totally newbie questions) - can I play Mario Kart online while also playing it in (2 player) split-screen?

flux1

I got a Wii U because I feel it has the best, most unique, (and most 60fps) exclusives compared to the XB1 and PS4 to complement my PC.

So far I've got 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Monster Hunter, ZombiU, and Mario Kart. I've liked each of them. Looking forward to Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade X. Plus you already have Metroid Prime Trilogy and Xenoblade. So you are starting off with two great Wii games to play on it.

If you dont want to get one of the $200 refurbs, there is a bundle with Nintendo Land and 3d World coming soon for $299. The Wii U has specials often, so it should be among those soon enough.

zruben

Banned
[Lego City Undercover images]

what the hell??...

I think this is the first time ever that I actually WANT a Lego game.

Just get a cheap ass Wii: There's not a single WiiU game that's even in the same league as the ones you have for the original Wii currently. There will not be a decent amount of WiiU games until the end of 2015 (or even 2016) either, while the Wii had tons of hidden gems that can hold you over until then, if you really are in the mood for something different. Paying the extra money for WiiU hardware isn't worth it currently. The fact that people try to hype it up with literal shovelware like Zelda Warriors from Koei, the umpteenth New Mario Map Pack (which has the only worthwhile iteration on the original Wii anyway), titles that are still at least 2 years away (including Zelda, don't believe anyone gullible enough saying this will be out soon lol), or titles that have high risks of not even coming out here (Fatal Frame), is pretty telling of how desperate the situation on WiiU is. Also, most of the 200-300 bucks for the console go to the controller, which is pretty worthless all around. Outside of minigame shlock, there's maybe one or two titles at best that benefit from it and for the most part, it actually cripples the console (Currently, I can't even enter the system settings, because my charger is broken and even that one is unique and can only be repaired by Nintendo and not be bought). I mean, if Off TV is really your thing, you might as well get a 3DS. Just like the original Wii, it covers most of the experiences you can get on the WiiU, but offers many more - including actual 3rd party support.
Even the online store in Wii U is shit and you won't miss out anything if you only get a cheap Wii (just not the Wii Mini, which doesn't have online features). The choice of classic platforms and games has become truly huge on the original Virtual Console, meanwhile the one on Wii U is currently tracking to not even have a fraction of it even in it's whole lifetime.
Also, not being a Nintendo gamer, does that mean you never had a gamecube? Because the original Wii can still play that one too, while the Wii U can't. GCN also had several of the best games of it's generation and again, tons of hidden gems - while Wii U just had a 2 year long drought and again, isn't gonna be worth it until it has more games accumulated at the end of 2016 or something. I have always been gaming primarely on Nintendo platforms, but I unfortunately can't deny that the WiiU is quite a trashy product and if you aren't a Nintendo fan to begin with, or you wanna get into their libraries, this would be by far the worst choice you can make.

Oh man! Good stuff, as always, eins!

sphinx

the piano man
As far as I am concerned:

.- wait until you can get the console for $199.99 with a game
.- wait until Zelda and Xenoblade X are on shelves
.- keep in mind there are already plenty of exclusives available, (pikmin 3 and donkey Kong TF in my case)
.- keep an eye regarding announcements, they may announce a Metroid or something

November 2015 will be WiiU's best month ever.

buy it then

There's not a single WiiU game that's even in the same league as the ones you have for the original Wii currently.

Duh. Isn't the situation much much worse on the PS4 and XB1 combined? LOL! Why buy an old console when you can buy a new one that can play the old Wii games, the current Wii U games and the upcoming Wii U games that include Bayonetta 2? What the hell is your point here?

It needs to be said also that you can play ALL those Wii games on the Wii U using legacy Wii peripherals. That can't be said for the X1 and PS4, too.

n051de

Don't just yet. Wait for Ninty to release a (hopefully) matte black slim version with a larger HDD. Unless you really have an itch to play the current games Nintendo offer. Don't think you'd need our input if you did though...

Personally I own more PS4 games and am interested in more upcoming games for that system than the Wii U. Personally (don't lynch me Nintendo-GAF).

For upcoming games the only confirmed ones I really want are Smash and Zelda, so there's a good chance that by the end of 2015 I'll have a grand total of three Wii U games. Not really worth it honestly. Judge for yourself if you've got enough interest to justify a purchase.

What if - like me - you're into Platinum's games? Though I love Nintendo's games as well, 3D World is better than anyting else on current gen imo.

BratmanDu

[Lego City Undercover images]

what the hell??...

I think this is the first time ever that I actually WANT a Lego game.

yAjtlqXDRKhq

I just completed it, great fun, nice open world, bit of platforming with free running, bit of puzzle solving, bit of combat, bit of driving, bit of collecting, funny voice acting, lots of smashing things! Loading times can be poor though.

Aiustis

I'm not a big Nintendo gamer. Mostly doing PC and handheld.
I've been enjoying my Wii U though.

ZombiU, Pikmin 3, Lego City Undercover, DK Tropical Freeze, MH3U, Game and Wario, Lego City Undercover, W101 and a bucket load of eShop games.

Also been catching up on Wii games that I missed.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
10 Retail Titles

Super Mario 3D World
Mario Kart 8
NSMBU
NSLU
Nintendoland
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
MH3U
Tekken Tag Tourney 2
Need for Speed Most Wanted U
Wind Waker

10 Downloadable Titles

Nano Assault Neo
NES Remix 1
NES Remix 2
Shovel Knight
Teslagrad
UnEpic
Toki Tori 2+
Steamworld Dig
Pushmo World
Trine 2 Complete Edition

10 VC Titles

Minish Cap
Super Metroid
Metroid Fusion
A Link to the Past
Megaman X
Advance Wars
F-Zero
Super Mario World
Earthbound
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

fred

it's probably got the best library of the 3 modern consoles at the moment, and the wii games you haven't played will pad the list. Seems like a fairly safe purchase right now. Even if it falls behind going forward, I think you could list maybe 10-20 games across the Wii and WiiU that you'd be interested in, which is enough to justify a purchase IMO.

This is a Nintendo game.

I'm fully aware that it's a Nintendo game, but it's far from being your typical Nintendo fare, which is why I included it.

I'd see if you could demo it somewhere. I detest the gamepad and don't feel like I should spend another $50 on a pro controller that isn't supported on all games.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Simply put, the Wii U has the best games that Nintendo has ever made. NSMBU and Tropical Freeze are easily their best 2D platformers by a wide margin. Mario 3D World is up there with the Galaxy games, right below or right above them on most people's lists of best 3D platformers ever. Mario Kart 8 is arguably the best in the series. Pikmin 3 is an all-time masterpiece. Wonderful 101 is a top action game as well. Just to name a few. Plus full backwards compatibility with all Wii games, and a bucket full of all-time classics on the Virtual Console as well.

And none of this factors in the games yet to release, which look to be up to this quality level and beyond. I would recommend buying one even if they didn't release any more games for it beyond this holiday, to be honest.

Your Wii U won't be a system that you end up getting 50 games for, but you will look at your collection by the time they retire the system and see plenty of absolutely fantastic games. It is well worth the asking price, especially with the bundles that are and will be available in the coming months.

Btw, question for those who know Nintendo better than me - what are the chances of them releasing HD remasters of Galaxy 1 & 2? I'd really like to play those if and when I get Wii U, but I'd like to play them in HD if possible (without fiddling with some emulators on PC that is).

Watch Dogs
/thread

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Just get a cheap ass Wii: There's not a single WiiU game that's even in the same league as the ones you have for the original Wii currently. There will not be a decent amount of WiiU games until the end of 2015 (or even 2016) either, while the Wii had tons of hidden gems that can hold you over until then, if you really are in the mood for something different. Paying the extra money for WiiU hardware isn't worth it currently. The fact that people try to hype it up with literal shovelware like Zelda Warriors from Koei, the umpteenth New Mario Map Pack (which has the only worthwhile iteration on the original Wii anyway), titles that are still at least 2 years away (including Zelda, don't believe anyone gullible enough saying this will be out soon lol), or titles that have high risks of not even coming out here (Fatal Frame), is pretty telling of how desperate the situation on WiiU is. Also, most of the 200-300 bucks for the console go to the controller, which is pretty worthless all around. Outside of minigame shlock, there's maybe one or two titles at best that benefit from it and for the most part, it actually cripples the console (Currently, I can't even enter the system settings, because my charger is broken and even that one is unique and can only be repaired by Nintendo and not be bought). I mean, if Off TV is really your thing, you might as well get a 3DS. Just like the original Wii, it covers most of the experiences you can get on the WiiU, but offers many more - including actual 3rd party support.
Even the online store in Wii U is shit and you won't miss out anything if you only get a cheap Wii (just not the Wii Mini, which doesn't have online features). The choice of classic platforms and games has become truly huge on the original Virtual Console, meanwhile the one on Wii U is currently tracking to not even have a fraction of it even in it's whole lifetime.
My god spieler

Nibel

This is blatant tag-fishing at this point

Sami+

What if - like me - you're into Platinum's games? Though I love Nintendo's games as well, 3D World is better than anyting else on current gen imo.

Then buy one. You'll probably like it.

Such bullshit.

Monster Hunter
ZombiU
Fatal Frame
Bayonetta (2)
Wonderful 101
Xenoblade X

That's six games for a system that's been out for almost two years. Half of them haven't even been released yet. One of them is also available on 3DS.

And even then I'd say W101 fits right in with Nintendo's usual style, but even with it included that's still only three games.

Mathaou

legacy of cane

200x200px-ZC-5b5f9465_puddinpops.gif

Don't just yet. Wait for Ninty to release a (hopefully) matte black slim version with a larger HDD. Unless you really have an itch to play the current games Nintendo offer. Don't think you'd need our input if you did though...

I wouldn't expect that to ever happen. Nintendo rarely revises its hardware, and whenever they do we get gimped stuff like the Wii Mini and SNES Jr. They just stopped selling Wii U hardware at a loss, so I'd assume they'll be looking at options to increase the system's value proposition in ways that do not increase manufacturing costs (e.g. games, services and gamepad features).

Wow. For starters, we had a Mario Kart that's better than MK Wii, a Donkey Kong Country that's better than DKC: Returns, and easily one of the best 3D Mario games to date in SM3DW. Add to that The Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3. Shovelware my ass :p.

Oh, and if OP really wants to play GameCube games he could just pick up a GameCube for 20 bucks, or take the red pill and soft mod the Wii mode on his Wii U and load ripped (legitimately, of course) GameCube games from USB storage.

impact

Banned
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Mario 3D World should do the trick. Don't believe the W101 hype though, it's all lies. The game sucks.

Some of the best games ever made in the platforming and action genres are exclusive to the Wii U, and that's not something you can say about the PS4 and Xbone, which have yet to have any best in genre quality titles of their own. If that doesn't interest you then you probably shouldn't pick it up.

lol go to bed speiler

even implying that returns is better than tropical freeze is hilarious.

ngower

I'll just chime in that I play my Wii U more than my PS4. Playing Mario Kart 8 with friends or playing through Wind Waker for the first time or trying out things like Super Metroid or Earthbound for the first time are kind of awesome. Great library and many games can be had for cheap.

RGVNOE

The fact that you made this thread makes me believe you have some interest in it. The console is great console and has some great games, to your question of what games can you get on Wii U that you can't elsewhere the answer is most, due to lack of most 3rd party stuff about 90% of what you see on Wii U you can't play anywhere else. The choice is really up to you the console has some fantastic games and there's videos and info about most of them somewhere online so you could find out more info about them, simply put the games are there to enjoy and the Wii U has plenty of them if you like what you see from those games and believe you will have a great time playing them then go and get one, if not you already have machines to play on. I myself have a PS4 and Wii U and I play my Wii U more and have over 40 games for it including VC games. At the end of the day like I said the choice is ultimately yours if you believe you will enjoy it buy it.

Sami+

Some of the best games ever made in the platforming and action genres are exclusive to the Wii U, and that's not something you can say about the PS4 and Xbone, which have yet to have any best in genre quality titles of their own. If that doesn't interest you then you probably shouldn't pick it up.

lol go to bed speiler

even implying that returns is better than tropical freeze is hilarious.

The Last of Us is one of the highest rated games of all time...

The Last of Us is one of the highest rated games of all time...

The bolded part of Echoenigma's post.

Top Bottom