• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing reveals, disappointing games. Anything worse than Metroid Other M?

I really like Silent Hill 4 for what it is but I think the original trailer is so incredibly eery and foreboding, everything is more understated and there's none of the awkwardness that was present in-game with some of the enemy designs/combat/lighting/character movement etc.

Enemies are generally shown for a split second if at all, and with their features more obscured they seem just as freaky as anything in any of the first 3 games if not more so, but most of them weren't implemented so well into the actual game. The twin victims/babies are basically the same in the trailer as in the game though, in a good way.

The atmosphere is just beyond what the actual game provided (as much as the atmosphere is a strong point of the game). I think if the game's overall tone was like that of the trailer, it'd have been the scariest SH game of them all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIZlIQKquNk

Spore was by Will Wright of Sim-fame, not Peter Molyneux though I get why you'd think it was.

I know that, didn't word it well but I thought the hype over Spore was close to the same sorta stuff Molyneux pulled with B&W. I know the difference between Maxis and Lionhead :)

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Since the game transitioned to a 3D enviroment with controlled camera angles there is a necesity to aim assistance there's no other way you could design the game. Now, the designers did come up with the first person view transition to incorporate precision aiming in some segments of the game. It is a very elegant solution that doesn't get any credit at all.
I thought the dual camera modes in other m were intriguing and would be interested to see them built on in other games in the future. But claiming there was no other way to go is just incorrect. Have you played Pandora's Tower? It's a third person action game with plenty of verticality and level traversal puzzles that has a fixed camera and also allows you to aim freely using the wiimote's pointer.

It uses the nunchuck for movement.

Oli

No Man's Sky.

bertz.gif

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Story wise, MGSV almost completely falsely advertised itself. The game wasn't about becoming a demon, a fall from grace, Big Boss' struggle against the government and himself, NONE of that.
It wasn't even about Big Boss.

I still loved the game, but it's not what it said it was going to be. In multiple ways.

Opa-Pa

That's unfair OP, of course not.

Similar less terrible examples, though. Dark Souls 2 didn't end up being TERRIBLE, but it was incredibly dull and had I known it'd be so boring I'd just skipped. Now I'm worried that if we ever get Bloodborne 2 it won't have Miyazaki on board and it'll be the same story all over again.

MGSV too, in a way. The marketing for that game was 99% story 1‰ gameplay and we know how it turned out in the end lol. Ironically I didn't give a shit for the open world gameplay at the time and ended up playing it for 80+ hours and enjoying every second. Amazing game in its own right.

Story wise, MGSV almost completely falsely advertised itself. The game wasn't about becoming a demon, a fall from grace, Big Boss' struggle against the government and himself, NONE of that.
It wasn't even about Big Boss.

I still loved the game, but it's not what it said it was going to be. In multiple ways.
Well thats Kojima. MGS2 trailers let us believe we play as Snake through the game.

Wouldnt be surprised if eveything we saw so far from Death Stranding has nothing to do with the game.

rekameohs

Banned
The Other M trailer wasn't even good. I think people just were blinded by the thought of Nintendo and Team Ninja collaborating that they didn't even look at the trailer, which kinda already started to show some of the chinks in the armor.

The Epic Mickey art reveal was incredible. Then, the game.....

Dali

Well thats Kojima. MGS2 trailers let us believe we play as Snake through the game.

Wouldnt be surprised if eveything we saw so far from Death Stranding has nothing to do with the game.
The difference being you're comparing the second game in the solid series to the sixth. It was years in the making tying the big Boss saga to the original metal gears and Kojima made it seem like this game would have some semblance of serving that purpose. I could still even get behind the game if it actually presented the narrative like most of the other metal gears rather than bookended cutscenes and searching for lame audio tapes.

I thought that reveal gameplay trailer for Metroid other M didn't look to great when I saw it especially when I saw Team Ninja pop up, definitely not the studio I imagine to make a Metroid game.

But I think Resident Evil 5 had an amazing reveal for example here's the first 2 trailers for the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o1majjN1N4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v03QYFcc8co

Looked a lot better in these trailers and looked like the game was originally going to be focused on a single player experience without the Co-op heavy gameplay thrown in. This is all speculation on my part but I rather RE5 have been like these trailers and not what we actually got.

rackham

Banned
Lords of shadow 2 had amazing trailers. Some of my favorite of all time.

Dark souls 2. I got bored pretty quickly and the level design/enemies annoyed me.

jadedm17

Gears of War Judgment still stings for me as a fan of the series, but the reveal wasn't great to start and the changes made were obvious red flags pre-release.

Watch_Dogs, for me. That first E3 gameplay demo had me so hyped. The final product was lifeless & boring imo.

This is my personal choice for disparity, but damn if I didn't spend a lot of time hacking other players - and learning the tricks of being hacked like how you cant pause if someone is in your game - making me only look back fondly on this game.

Single player was ridiculous and the reveal was misleading; Multiplayer was insane.

Hack, drive out of hack zone, go underground, get back within 10 seconds, never be found.

dezzy8

The Division for me. When they revealed it my hype meter was on 1000. I played it til about level 25 and already realized that there was really no end game. Just grind the same instances on a harder level for better gear. When I realized that I just stopped playing.

The Other M trailer wasn't even good. I think people just were blinded by the thought of Nintendo and Team Ninja collaborating that they didn't even look at the trailer, which kinda already started to show some of the chinks in the armor.

We also have to consider that the reveal trailer didn't really show how the game would control and play. All we just saw is Samus flipping around and doing cool shit, making the game look like it was going to be this badass character action game ala Ninja Gaiden with Metroid elements in it.

But in the end, the game ended up being incredibly shallow and dull especially considering we were limited to the Wiimote on its side control scheme. Those cool animations of Samus throwing enemies around or putting her blaster into their faces were just cheap finisher moves activated by mashing on the D-Pad. Literally the definition of style over substance.

Lol, i almost feel bad for Other M. Federation Force is treated with much love than that game.

Final Fantasy XIII?

Federation Force is just a mediocre spinoff where you play as generic soldiers. Whatever. Other M on the other hand was actually a mainline game that ruined Samus as a character and put Metroid into a seemingly never ending coma.

Griss

The Other M trailer was never good. I was shocked by it at release, then doubly shocked when I went online and saw the rapturous reception it got. So many of the problems were clearly there in the trailer, from the story to the terrible visual design.

The most recent game I've had that trailer dissonance with is
Breath of the Wild.
Couldn't believe the reception that got, was 180 difference from how I felt watching it. Let's hope it ends up better than Other M.

Ishida

Banned
I can't speak for the general consensus, obviously, but for me, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain takes the cake, easily.

I was super hyped for this game. I creamed my pants at every new trailer. It seemed like the perfect story to conclude the Big Boss saga. My expectations were through the roof.

I pre-ordered the game. And I found it (Again, in my personal opinion) to be boring as all fuck.

I can love crazy Metal Gear. I can love batshit insane Metal Gear. But I cannot love a boring Metal Gear. And the plot twist... Pure, unadulterated garbage. Barren open world. Boring voice acting. Forgettable soundtrack.

It is the only Metal Gear that I would ever touch again.

I consider it to be my biggest gaming disappointment ever.

1.) Dragon Age 2 - Had a great look to it. Then you realized it was super shallow (Press 'A' to awesome) and repetitive (literally repeated environments).

2.) Mass Effect 3 - One of the greatest sci-fi universes ever created, stumbling, falling on its face, and somehow self-combusting before ever reaching the finish line.

3.) No Man's Sky - Well, we're living it. A shell of what it could/should have been.

4.) FFXIII - Forever changed the way I look at that series. Put in 20+ hours and gave up on it. It was the last time I'd give an FF game the benefit of the doubt.

I honestly don't know about Metroid Other M. It might be the best possible answer, but I've intentionally avoided it as I don't want it to taint my love of Metroid.

Edit: Wow. This thread is old apparently.

Top Bottom