• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing reveals, disappointing games. Anything worse than Metroid Other M?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Was anyone ever excited about Brink?

It was from the Wolfenstein Enemy Territory/RtCW MP guys, it had free-running that looked similar to Mirror's Edge, and it had a really interesting artstyle/setting. Of course people were excited for it. I'm still sad with how it turned out, and with how Splash Damage hasn't done anything very significant since then.

Koren

Shadow of the Colossus for me.

Yes, I know I'm probably in a minority. Don't hate me, I'll explain...

The colossus are great, as you could expect from the reveal, but between the colossus battles, i found the game lacking something tying everything together. All the magic I found in Ico. I felt the game really "mechanical": follow the light, find the colossus, find a way to ride it, find the glowing part, teleport back to base, repeat. And the battles was often more tedious than epic once on the colossus itself.

Maybe my expectations were to high after Ico, maybe it just didn't "click"...

Nome

I feel bad for anyone who says Watch Dogs. It was abundant from the very first trailer that it was going to be another Ubisoft systems-driven open world game with very little substance :(

CJCW

Twilight Princess comes to mind right away. People lost their freakin' minds at the reveal, and (opinion incoming) it's probably the worst game in the series.

Castlevania LoS 2.
That reveal trailer was epic. That music... And I loved the fist game so my expectations were riding high.
I couldn't believe how shitty the game turned out to be.

Makes no sense to me how you could have the same expectations in 2011 that yoy had in 2001.

Well true. But people were hyped for this one back in 2001 when they showed it off at E3 that year. That version of DNF was almost a completely different looking game from the final version that we got. It did show off a lot of interesting things for 2001 that were uncommon for FPS's at the time. But that build of the game was thrown out and everything was rebuilt from scratch. The engine was still UE1 in the final game but heavily modified and it was looking really dated. In 2-11 people were only interested in this game for the novelty factor. A game that has one of the most notorious development cycles in the history of gaming that finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel.

People did in fact have high expectations for this one in 2001.

But that's 3D Realms for you. The Prey 1998 trailer looked mind blowing too. The Prey that was released in 2005 was alright, but nothing special. Most of the great features from the 1998 trailer were gone.

FStop7

Banned
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Awesome reveal, fun as hell demo, absolute trainwreck of a game.

Watch_Dogs: Didn't even remotely look or feel like what was shown at the reveal.

Dead Island, anyone?

when i saw a very short trailer of Dead Island, it just showed some empty footage of a tropical Island and then 1 short shot of a very rotten zombie getting his head smashed in

i knew right there and then i would buy a Xbox360 as i had to play this (Fallout 3 was the 2nd game that was a system seller)

so Fallout 3 came and kicked ass, Dead Island at 1 point seemed like it would never come out at all... until it was there, i bought it and was ready to get blown away, since i expected an exploration type of game with slow moving zombies, some adventure/RPG/survival horror type of game, looking like '80s zombie films

when i saw that i had gotten a 'braindead' action game with quick moving fuckers and weapons that broke too quick (and bad controls), making it all tedious as fuck, holy crap

Castlevania LoS 2.
That reveal trailer was epic. That music... And I loved the fist game so my expectations were riding high.
I couldn't believe how shitty the game turned out to be.
Man do I feel you too. That trailer made LoS2 skyrocket as my most anticipated game, having loved LoS1 to bits I couldn't wait for the sequel.

I mostly agree except that it was as shitty as many people say it was.

That ending though, the one was supposed to conclude the LoS saga? Total and utter dissapointment. That was shit.

1389414468755.gif

Lol.

RooMHM

It s hard to recognize you re wrong but if the trailers dont outright lie about the game (meaning doing more than showing only great moments) then you ve got only yourself to blame for not noticing the problems.

Yahsper

Oh geez, Spore. The concept, the sandbox possibilities, the Robin Williams demo :(

What we got was the Yoshi's Story of strategy games.

I'd been burned before by Molenyeux's hyperbole over Black and White but Spore was another level.
Spore was by Will Wright of Sim-fame, not Peter Molyneux though I get why you'd think it was.

jimi_dini

Uh, they're also known for creating one of the best action games of all time.

That's why people were excited.

I would say they are more known for their sexed up beach ball games. Sure, they also made quite a few Ninja Gaiden games. And that's it. They didn't do anything else at that point. But Samus is not a ninja. And that's actually another problem. Samus shouldn't move like a ninja.

This "expertise" resulted in Other M. Other M is actually part sexed up and part ninja action game (and also part god-awful story and god-awful characters). The end-result is actually not surprising.

Part of the metroid series was always exploration. They totally ruined that in Other M. Silly automatically locking doors and shit. And then there were also invisible walls. Like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_nS1ADTJY0

I'm not sure how one can say this with a straight face. The difference of control given to you over your movement and actions in Metroid Other M and Super Metroid is like night and day. Super Metroid lets you master techniques like the wall jump to break the game's intended boundaries in beautiful ways. Other M is a button masher. You can actually win confrontations by mashing the D-pad and fire button because the game does all the aiming and dodging and finishing moves with little input from the player.

Other M is a lousy action game and a lousy Metroid game and a really lousy story-driven game. It did nothing right and I'm still surprised Nintendo let such an obvious clusterfuck of bad design out the door.
Other M is a 3D game. Your stance in control would be like viewing Prime as a failure because in its transition to 3Dfirst Person view it lost the verticality and precision platforming.

Indeed, Other M has a lot of automatic system to stream line shooting and navigation but that has to do with the game's 3D presentation. For example, playing FPS on a dual analog controller also takes away from the skill of aiming yet is the way most FPS are played these days. You can win by mashing in low level playthrougs in Other M, that is true. In Super Metroid you could also over power your enemies by the volume of missiles and tanks you had. In minum percent runs in both games you have to be precise with what you are doing.

i just view the game as a continuation of the trend the Metroid series entered with Fusion, didn't like the story focus and extra linearity in that one either. Is kind of interesting how many people care about the plot in a Metroid game in the first place when in the classic ones that was the last thing on the priority list. Now, for the extra replays of Other M i just press the skip button and pay no attention to the theatrics.

Also you are comparing Other M (a good game on its own) to possibly one of the greatest and most perfect games of all time SUPER METROID. Games like Super rarely happens in various decades.

Arcayne

Anyone else remember Hellgate: London? That game had an AMAZING reveal and all released cinematics looked like surefire signs of a successful, immersive game. It was dark, gritty, had MMO mechanics, guns, magic, demons spawning from Hell, the whole shebang! It was and looked like what a fully 3D rendered Diablo game could be.

And then it just sucked. No game has hit me more hard than this. Not even FFXIII.

Other M was pretty good, and the whole misogyny/ character destruction garbage is asinine hyperbole of the highest order. I wasn't a fan of the writing either, but it wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of people claim.

It is.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/lb_index.php?lb_id=13373815860B43920100

It pretty much goes out of its to marginalize or put down just about every previous installment in the series. Never mind the character assassination or lethargic plot.

Toxi

Banned
Other M is a 3D game. Your stance in control would be like viewing Prime as a failure because in its transition to 3Dfirst Person view it lost the verticality and precision platforming.
Here's the thing though: Prime didn't lose the precision platforming or verticality. The giant shaft rooms like Phendrana's Edge retain that legacy, and then there are the physics quirks that resulted in, yet again, mastery of the game's controls breaking the intended sequence.

It's not about 2D vs 3D. Team Ninja's own Ninja Gaiden Black gave the player far more control than Other M and reward for mastering their control.

Other M is a typical example of modern games thinking that showing a character doing something cool (like the lethal strikes) means the player feels like they are doing something cool.

Also you are comparing Other M (a good game on its own) to possibly one of the greatest and most perfect games of all time SUPER METROID. Games like Super rarely happens in various decades.
Then let me compare it to Metroid Fusion, a game where minimum percent runs are actually difficult thanks to you having to dodge attacks by moving out of the way instead of mashing the D-pad. Fighting Nightmare in a low% Fusion run is an enormous challenge unlike anything in Other M's hard mode because you actually need to know the boss's patterns and you need to know how to avoid them with your one energy tank.

Acosta

Refreshment.01 said:
i just view the game as a continuation of the trend the Metroid series entered with Fusion, didn't like the story focus and extra linearity in that one either. Is kind of interesting how many people care about the plot in a Metroid game in the first place when in the classic ones that was the last thing on the priority list. Now, for the extra replays of Other M i just press the skip button and pay no attention to the theatrics.

People didn't care for the plot in the classic ones because there was close to none to be offered in the first place, The focus were on the pillars for what Metroid became what it is: exploration, isolation, open level design....

Other M is awful because not only it decided to drop all that foundation through the window, but changed that for things like a newfound interest for story that was absolutely not needed and was executed so poorly that retroactively ruined the image and identity that Samus had acquired through the years. Fusion did it first, sure, and it was still a mistake, but the execution wasn't anything close to the butchering that Other M was, and the gameplay and design was closer to where the heart of the series is, so it didn't stand out so much.

Other M was a backstab to the franchise and to the fans, it doesn't matter what merits can be found on its gameplay or control when that thing betrays everything of what Metroid is. Prime at least knew how to adapt and capture the essentials to make a faithful transformation to 3D. Other M is just an aberration.

That's a good one. I would love to see this game
epicmickey072905.jpg

2hi022s.jpg

What's Spector up to anyways?

Since everyone else has already said Other M and FF XIII:

Epic Mickey.

Everyone wet themselves when they showed the concept art for the game, and while I wasn’t fooled by that (when has a game ever been as good as its concept art?) I was at least sure it would be fun game.

I was wrong. So. Very. Wrong

How many times it has to be said. That was leaked, never officially shown, and the game was never going to be released looking like this. So no, it doent count as a hyped reveal.
And not looking edgy enough is the least of the games problems, in fact, thank god for not looking like that.

And I say this as it was one of my most dissapointing games ever. EM2 was even worse.

I agree with anyone that says "2014", though most notably its all about a bunch of AAA games for which more money was spent for marketing than actual development.

I'm actually starting to think that the major publishers have mastered marketing to an art: unrealistic trailers+controlled previews+late review embargo+preorders galore= games that sell ganbusters out of the door, before the enthusiasts can realize that the hype is not justified. It seems to work basically every time lately.
inb4 "I never get too excited". Good for you, but you're a minority

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Destiny. I was hyped for another Bungie masterpiece. Just finished the campaign today and it's nothing but hot garbage.

Here's the thing though: Prime didn't lose the precision platforming or verticality. The giant shaft rooms like Phendrana's Edge retain that legacy, and then there are the physics quirks that resulted in, yet again, mastery of the game's controls breaking the intended sequence.
Compared to the 2D games released up until that time? Yes, Metroid Prime did lost the precision platforming and verticality asociatd with the series, but it did so while gaining and improving in other categories. Also there's far less criticism to Retro for taking the series closer to FPS than to Team Ninja and Sakamoto for sticking a rather cliched plot that in the end doesn't even matter for this type of game. The purpose of a Metroid game is not it's narrative or plot qualities.
It's not about 2D vs 3D. Team Ninja's own Ninja Gaiden Black gave the player far more control than Other M and reward for mastering their control.

Other M is a typical example of modern games thinking that showing a character doing something cool (like the lethal strikes) means the player feels like they are doing something cool.
Ninja Gaiden and Other M are games with different priorities. Ninja Gaiden's case is all about the combat, a Metroid game the importance of combat is shared among other game elements. AMong those elements is enviroment traversal and exploration which in Other M plays a more important part than the 3D renditions of Ninja Gaiden. Also platforming in new NInja Gaiden games is abyssmal.
Then let me compare it to Metroid Fusion, a game where minimum percent runs are actually difficult thanks to you having to dodge attacks by moving out of the way instead of mashing the D-pad. Fighting Nightmare in a low% Fusion run is an enormous challenge unlike anything in Other M's hard mode because you actually need to know the boss's patterns and you need to know how to avoid them with your one energy tank.
There's no disputing here that Metroid Fusion requires more skill to complete low percent runs, however low percent runs in Other M are not completed by ramdom mashing and some actual skill is involved.

Since the game transitioned to a 3D enviroment with controlled camera angles there is a necesity to aim assistance there's no other way you could design the game. Now, the designers did come up with the first person view transition to incorporate precision aiming in some segments of the game. It is a very elegant solution that doesn't get any credit at all.

For me, as with the majority of Metroid playeres, Other M rests comfortably at the lower steps of the ladder along with Retro's offerings after Prime 1, however a bad insulting game? This is not. It's "insulting" kirks are shared by a good deal of other games that come from the east, it's kind of a cultural thing and we should respect that it is the vision of one of the serie's creators. A creator shouldn't compromise his vision for the whims of an audience.

Alavard

Anyone else remember Hellgate: London? That game had an AMAZING reveal and all released cinematics looked like surefire signs of a successful, immersive game. It was dark, gritty, had MMO mechanics, guns, magic, demons spawning from Hell, the whole shebang! It was and looked like what a fully 3D rendered Diablo game could be.

And then it just sucked. No game has hit me more hard than this. Not even FFXIII.

I'm not sure I'll ever get over the fact that I purchased a lifetime subscription for Hellgate: London.

Also, on a side note, PC Gamer actually gave the game a score of 89. I've still got the issue somewhere.

rjc571

Banned
Other M was a pretty great game, all things considered. I can think of dozens from last gen alone that were more disappointing.

Crzy1

deusex2beta02.jpg

Deus Ex: IW before it got Xboxed.

I forgot about Invisible War. I skipped it for a long time after I started to see all the reviews. Eventually came back around to it when I got it from a store on clearance. While it wasn't completely terrible, it wasn't anything like it was made out to be in all the previews. The shitty quality of the voice work to make it all fit on a DVD still bothers me, though. But at least it made Human Revolution a nice surprise, really expected it to be garbage when it was announced.

For me, it's Dark Souls II. They hyped it up to be a worthy successor to the first game, with improved combat mechanics and tons of darkness and atmosphere, but we ended up getting bad hitboxes, floaty combat (IMO) and muddy graphics.

For me, it's Dark Souls II. They hyped it up to be a worthy successor to the first game, with improved combat mechanics and tons of darkness and atmosphere, but we ended up getting bad hitboxes, floaty combat (IMO) and muddy graphics.
Do you think that the gross of the development resources was been invested in Blood Born? Keep hearing people were really disapoointed with Dark Souls 2. For what little i've seen seems like a very good game.

Do you think that the gross of the development resources was been invested in Blood Born? Keep hearing people were really disapoointed with Dark Souls 2. For what little i've seen seems like a very good game.

Let's not dive into that rabbit hole again, there are like 5 threads dedicated to that topic.

But yeah DS2 fits in this thread in my opinion: it was ultra marketed and in the end its a very divisive game, unlike DS.

Dark Souls 2 *IS* a very good game. doesn't really belong in the thread.

I never understood why people were excited for a Metroid game coming from Team Ninja post-Itagaki. Metroid was a series known for its atmosphere and subtle story telling. Like had people not played a single Team Ninja game prior? Even with Itagaki there they were as subtle as a sledgehammer.

Outside of the combat, Ninja Gaiden is as coherent and fluid as an elephant riding a donkey as it charges through a brick wall.

The hype was always lost on me.

I totally agree!

Imagine... LV-426 mysteriously survived the nuclear bomb drop.
You're in a squad of marines who need to board the now abandoned Sulaco to obtain the flight recorder to find out what happened during the events of Aliens. Hicks? He's alive.

You and your friends each play as a unique marine with their own unique personalities where together you'll all try to survive the Xenomorph onslaught aboard the abandoned Sulaco and LV-426 together where at parts, you'll all be seperated and eventually you'll all band together to take the Xeno's head on with things like Turrets, Pulse Rifles, and Power-Loaders armed with flamethrowers.

How could this go wrong?

Ask Sega, TimeGate, Gearbox, Nerve, Demiurge, etc.

In recent times for me, Paper Mario Sticker Star. Loved the first trailer I saw, but the game got so uninteresting a couple of hours in.

Top Bottom