• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing reveals, disappointing games. Anything worse than Metroid Other M?

I know it's a very popular game, but for me, nothing could ever be more of a letdown than Brawl. It took a few weeks to sink in, but I've never been (and never will be) more hyped for a game, and so I've never been more let down.

Other M was terrible, but I had my doubts from the beginning.

Talking with friends about how dumb Ridley as a playable character is and the potential for Metroid series characters in Smash lead me to think of one guy. A guy no on remembers.

Let us hearken back to 2009. Nintendo is riding the casual wave and many fans have lost faith, but then... Megaton: Metroid Other M by Team Ninja

That trailer is still fucking awesome.

Fast forward to 2010 and the game's release where many are dismayed to find that the promised land is filled with infuriating pixel hunting, inane writing, the character assassination of Samus, and kinda ugly graphics.

My question for you all is can you name a wider gap between reveal hype and release quality? I'm sure there are many but my brain fails me.

(For the record I actually like Metroid Other M more than most people I think. The gameplay is solid and uniquely action heavy for that style of game)

What they did to Samus' character was the biggest dagger in my heart. Other M makes it seem more like she should be dyeing her hair black and writing angsty poetry in her parents' basement than fighting space monsters. I can't stand it whenever she opens her mouth.

Maintaining the silent badass personality from Metroid Prime in my head.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm... not really sure I'd called Metroid Other M an amazing reveal. It was conceptually surprising, but I'm personally not a Team Ninja fan and thus didn't have amazingly high aspirations at the time. It was mostly CG, even at the time people were unsure if it was intended to be a 2D or 3D game because the trailer showed a mix of both, and the brawler elements looked more Team Ninja-y than Metroid-y at the time. I tried searching my post history to see if I'm misremembering, but I can't find any feedback on the game at any point.

I'm actually struggling to think of anything that's been an utter disappointment to me. I don't tend to invest too much at big reveals so I find things don't surprise me too much in a bad way. I would say that FF13 was disappointing to me, but not because the reveal was amazing (I thought the fonts were try-hard techno-y in a sort of Spiderman font way and the character designs never looked great and and the battle system looked too busy) but rather because I'd been playing the series since I was a kid and I wasn't super happy with the final product.

Fisty

I never really expected Dead Island to be that good. I mean, Techland never had a great history anyway. Chrome and Call of Juarez were both serviceable games, but nothing to write home about, that's about all I can think of them having made before. Dead Island ended up the same, but it didn't have a huge pedigree to live up to beyond the CG trailer.

Dont get me wrong, I wasnt disappointed personally, but I could see somebody being upset. The reveal trailer was just so amazing, nothing about it gave any indication that the game would be good I suppose, but the gulf between the quality of the experiences that both provided was pretty immense. I could have seen Techland hit a homerun after CoJ, but yeah it wasnt Dead Island lol

Ninjimbo

MGS2? It's my favorite MGS, but it wasn't the game anyone was expecting.

What about RE6? Another game I love and the reveal was awesome, but mostly everybody hates it.

Suikoden IV

So disappointing

I had hopes it was going to be a legit pirate game.

Instead we got a crappy Suikoden 2 retread with a terrible encounter rate

big_z

While not a game I would argue the ps4. Sony promised a lot of features and the best games at the reveal, hype was skyrocketing. Now going into year two its still a shell of a console and relying on ubisoft to provide something decent to play this holiday.

Child of eden is another that comes to mind. More of a promo disc with poor remixes for genki rockets than a Rez spiritual successor.

There are lots of different ways "reveals" were highly anticipated.

Assassins Creed 1, was supposed to be the most insane game changer ever. People saw the demos. Every reveal it just looked more incredible. In 2006 nobody had seen animations like that. It came at the peak of the parkour craze, there was an intense desire for a new IP like that. I mean, everything about it. Every single thing was supposed to have made it Grand Theft Auto in the holy lands.
The game ended up being not bad. Not bad at all, but disappointing. Limited shallow combat, a story with promise that was just sort of okay-ish, a premise that was bizarre and generally disliked (future / animus stuff), repetitive gameplay (lack of mission variety).

Brute Force, was a new IP for the first Xbox that looked really solid. A dynamic hot swap-in swap-out 4 player co-op game it was designed to be the first next big thing post-Halo. But when it landed in 2002 on massive hype it turned out to be disappointing. The art in that game is still to this day some of the worst.

Splinter Cell, was the next big thing that came out for Xbox after the amazing KOTOR, and it was quite expected. This was the first time the general press and gaming public understood things like dynamic shadows. It was the big selling point. Amazing atmosphere, a true stealth game like never before.
Turned out to have a boring story, and trial-and-error missions that has haunted the series ever since. The 8.7 meltdown from Gamespot is still massively legendary to this day.

In a post World of Warcraft world, many MMORPGs got an early or premature death as they were riding on massive hype into mediocrity and disappointing. Before WoW in 2004, the small but passionate MMORPG community only really sought to expand the MMO genre. Nobody really expected a game like WoW to come along and completely change a genre like it did. As WoW kept growing, it has to have been the long wait for both Warhammer Online and Age of Conan that stung the most. For both of these massive titles to fail to outlandishly. It was a dissappointment without equal.

Spore, in 2006 is another game for PC that was supposed to have changed everything. Not since Project Ego ("Fable") had I personally seen a gaming community taking so much out of context turning hype into factual statements about lies. Spore was not a bad game but just overly ambitious and it failed on that.

Hellgate London in 2007, have to be my personal one. Goddammit this one hurt. This one really really sucked. Bundled with a terrible subscription model they announced shortly before release, the level design totally sucked. Endless randomly generated london sewers and post apocalyptic nonsense, HGL was a major major disappointment. What it did amazingly with art, loot, and inventory it ruined with everything else. This was supposed t have been the next Blizzard. This was the real spiritual Diablo 3. What a mess this ended up being.

Rome 2 Total War, no Total War fan expect a new Total War game to be bug free, but nobody expected the sequel to the most significant Total War, to have been so disappointing. Particularly not after the highlight that was Shogun 2.
Rome 2 is for all intent and purposes 1 step forward in graphics, but several massive steps back in everything else. Not a great game by any stretch of the imagination. Much was lost here. Political system, removal of family free, a lot of the identity and careful attention to detail that made everything feel alive was replaced by a grotesque lack of quality that made you unable to care.

NEO0MJ

I think Devil May Cry 2 had a lot of hype at the time.

I'm... not really sure I'd called Metroid Other M an amazing reveal. It was conceptually surprising, but I'm personally not a Team Ninja fan and thus didn't have amazingly high aspirations at the time. It was mostly CG, even at the time people were unsure if it was intended to be a 2D or 3D game because the trailer showed a mix of both, and the brawler elements looked more Team Ninja-y than Metroid-y at the time. I tried searching my post history to see if I'm misremembering, but I can't find any feedback on the game at any point.

I think it was people were waiting for more "mature" Nintendo games with gore, gritty story and voice acting, things Team Ninja are known for. Plus, the studio still had the benifet of the doubt at the time.

Game4life

Banned
While not a game I would argue the ps4. Sony promised a lot of features and the best games, hype was skyrocketing. Now going into year two its still a shell of a console and relying on ubisoft to provide something decent to play this holiday.

As opposed to? The competition seems to have even fewer games released.

The original Fable was like an entirely different game. Went from a dark, open world experience with a unique art style in the first trailer to a casual corridor-ridden fart simulator.

Anybody suggesting Watch Dogs really hasn't been paying much attention. It was always destined to be... Ubisofty. You could argue AC1 fits, but any other game they have churned out is just following their template.

I was just discussing A Machine for Pigs in another thread so I'll throw that out there. It looked terrifying and the reveal conjured up all kinds of imagery.

That didn't work out for me at all.

big_z

As opposed to? The competition seems to have even fewer games released.

A bunch of old indie ports doesn't make up for a mediocre lineup. At least the competition has a handful of quality exclusives and a console that's starting to make good on the feature promises.

Twlight Princess for sure. I'm not comparing to Other M here, but it fits the bill so I'm laying it on the table.

I was disappointed Nintendo dropped the cartoon style but was still excited to see what they might do with the mature look jaded fanboys wanted. Sadly Twilight was a soulless, ugly game and boring to play.

aeolist

Banned
there's been plenty of games i thought looked amazing and then turned out to be shit but nothing that i ever bought and was disappointed by

i don't preorder or purchase day 1 unless it's a 100% sure thing, which happens maybe once every year

Madao

i'm sure someone else out there must have been blown away when Yoshi's Story was revealed for N64 and then had their soul crushed when the actual game was out.

Other M doesn't scratch the surface of how a game can really break a person. i guess being an adult stopped me from Other M's crap getting the best of me but kid me really suffered the drop in quality in Yoshi's Story coming from YI (at least Metroid had some so-so games leading to OM. YS is like going from Super Metroid to Other M directly without games in between)

I liked Other M

I just started playing it for the first time this week. Yes, I think it's pretty cool.

That being said, the only amazing reveal I was ever disappointed in was seeing the reveal trailer of Metal Gear Solid 2 at E3. FUCKING A, DUDE!

...And then Raiden.

Over time though, I've learned to appreciate MGS2. It makes feel as if I was one of the children who were wrong...

I liked other M. Of course it has some faults, but I dont hate it in the slightlest.

Spore and any Peter Molyneux games are much worse of expectations vs reality. Spore was not becuase of porr Will Wright, but because of EA, he is still and always be a genius game designer.

Resident Evil 5, E3 2007 reveal:

VILLAGE%202.jpg

Game looked like it was going to be super intense, but the final product bore little resemblance outside of the setting.

BriGuy

I know Other M was a train wreck, but I still wish I could have been in on the ground floor with that one. Reading the threads was amazing. It was like watching the five stages of grief unfold in fast motion.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Honestly the reveal trailer isn't all that hot, and in hindsight it is actually pretty representative of what we ended up getting.

Other M was a very experimental game in its nature.

Glass Rebel

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn had a pretty amazing reveal, to me. Maybe I was still high from getting my most wanted sequel in Sin & Punishment 2 that the reveal to my second most wanted sequel was extra exciting, but I was over the moon until I got to actually play it.

That coupled with the fact that they completely dropped the ball on the RPG mode in the newest Mario Tennis and Golf makes me wonder why I still consider them to be among my favourite developers.

prwxv3

A bunch of old indie ports doesn't make up for a mediocre lineup. At least the competition has a handful of quality exclusives and a console that's starting to make good on the feature promises.

I was disappointed Nintendo dropped the cartoon style but was still excited to see what they might do with the mature look jaded fanboys wanted. Sadly Twilight was a soulless, ugly game and boring to play.

Sorry bro but the indie games the PS4 have been better then most exclusives on all the platforms (except maybe WiiU but then you loose out on the multiform games). You are right on features though.

RK128

God, I have to agree with everyone with Other M.....just.....hated that game X(.

What a ride that was :l. I thought the game looked fun from its unveil, so I decided to get it when it came out. Then....my Wii's disk drive refused to work :l. It just flat out stopped working with dual-layer disks (meaning I couldn't play Smash Bros Brawl either X(), so when I finally GOT Other M....I couldn't even play it :l.

I got the disk cleaning kit thing (it was from Japan too XD! Japanese box art and all) and my Wii sorta worked....but the game wasn't worth the aggravation I had to deal with. Between how oddly easy it was, how constraint the levels were and how Samus became such a bland and unlikeable character (let alone one you could even respect! .....Just don't get how she just automatically listens to EVERY command that Anthony guy says :l; its not like you save the galaxy MANY times before or anything X(.....) and how short the game was; beat it in two days :l.

....The best part is coming though :D! Right around the time all the games I really wanted were coming for the Wii in the fall (DKCR, Sonic Colors, Epic Mickey, Kirby's Epic Yarn)....the Wii's Disk drive flat out refused to work on me; both GC games, normal Wii games and dual-layered games refused to work EVEN with that Cleaning Kit.

....My mom saw how frustrated I was and within a few days, got me a Black Wii before Sonic Colors and Epic Mickey came out. The saddest part; after that fall of 2010, I stopped playing my Wii. Early 2011 I wanted a PS3 due to Sonic Generations not having a Wii version....so I got a PS3 June of that year and never looked back :'(.

So yah, I hate Other M not just for butchering the Metroid series for me but also destroying my Wii to boot X(.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think Street Fighter x Tekken is a good example.

The trailers for the game were absolutely amazing, and full of personality.

Toxi

Banned
Funny thing is, the dev interviews and trailers for Other M should have been huge warning signs for me, but I happily purchasing that piece of shit day one anyway like a lemming buying a cliff-side.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Every time I see this I'm always bothered by their lack of helmets.

Who doesn't wear helmets on the battlefield?! Haven't these people seen Saving Private Ryan?

Can't empathize with 'em if all that dome is covered up.

Especially when 'all' the Helghast are wearing them.

Ansatz

Pokémon X and Y, I was blown away by the reveal but once I got the game it ended up being disappointing, not a bad Pokémon game just a disappointing act following gen 5, which was amazing.

I understand this point of view. It's the first polygon entry of the series so in a way it's a reboot and Nintendo has to work its way back up to top quality. X and Y showed great potential with the new battle animations and mega evolutions. I'm satisfied with the foundation, just need to follow it up with perfect execution.

That reveal of Spore for me, easily. An idea far beyond their ability to realise it.

Oh yeah that one, probably my pick as well.

Jashobeam

I know people were dissappointed about Alien Colonial Marines, but I don't remember if it had an amazing initial reveal though...

Loxley

Was anyone ever excited about Brink?

I was all about Brink for a time, although in hindsight the game's art direction was what pulled me in. Watching footage of it now makes it glaringly obvious that the actual gameplay was a one-trick pony and nothing to write home about :/ Which is a shame since splash damage were coming off of Enemy Territory.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'll second this. The 2001 trailer for DNF might be one of the greatest game trailers of all time, while the actual game as released might be one of the worst games of all time.
Makes no sense to me how you could have the same expectations in 2011 that yoy had in 2001.

wsippel

Banned
Other M was pretty good, and the whole misogyny/ character destruction garbage is asinine hyperbole of the highest order. I wasn't a fan of the writing either, but it wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of people claim. Therefore, there are a ton of games that were a lot more disappointing. Duke Nukem Forever would be the most obvious example, Wolfenstein: The New Order is probably the most recent. The gameplay was solid when it was actually a shooter, even better than anticipated, but everything else was a mess and the writing was some of the worst I've ever seen.

JC Lately

Since everyone else has already said Other M and FF XIII:

Epic Mickey.

Everyone wet themselves when they showed the concept art for the game, and while I wasn’t fooled by that (when has a game ever been as good as its concept art?) I was at least sure it would be fun game.

I was wrong. So. Very. Wrong

Top Bottom