• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazing reveals, disappointing games. Anything worse than Metroid Other M?

Talking with friends about how dumb Ridley as a playable character is and the potential for Metroid series characters in Smash lead me to think of one guy. A guy no on remembers.

ku-xlarge.png

Let us hearken back to 2009. Nintendo is riding the casual wave and many fans have lost faith, but then... Megaton: Metroid Other M by Team Ninja

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9cr8YoeNLs

That trailer is still fucking awesome.

Fast forward to 2010 and the game's release where many are dismayed to find that the promised land is filled with infuriating pixel hunting, inane writing, the character assassination of Samus, and kinda ugly graphics.

My question for you all is can you name a wider gap between reveal hype and release quality? I'm sure there are many but my brain fails me.

(For the record I actually like Metroid Other M more than most people I think. The gameplay is solid and uniquely action heavy for that style of game)

Obligatory

user_12802_MPHDDY67.jpg

Other games? Hmm, not nearly as bad as Other M but Watch_Dogs was THE game to talk about when it was revealed, easily stole all the attention the E3 it was revealed in, but by the time it released the hype had petered out significantly. I don't know about the release quality specifically, but there were a lot of issues with poor optimization and just generally underwhelming design of the game. I'm sure that's not what you had in mind though.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I thought this thread was about disappointing games that were leaked through Amazon listings.

Lunar15

I hate to be that asshole, but I hated the Other M trailer. I thought it looked like shit even back then. Graphics and art design were terrible, way too much talking, and the gameplay looked really stale. This isn't hindsight bias, I was way put off by it and was scratching my head over everyone's positive reactions. I figured that I'd be proven wrong, buuuutt....

big_z

In before destiny.

Other m played like a ninja gaiden metroid hybrid. It's not the metroid fans wanted but it was an okay game.... Story/characters were awful though.

FFXIII and maybe Titanfall

Ff13 is a good choice. Titanfall delivered what it promised, it was just light on content.

The Cowboy

It will be a long time until Alien CM gets topped for me, the original footage was just great and hyped me up beyond believe (more so than the original Brink footage), then i got to see the finished game and was crushed.

TheMoon

Tons of games. Because Other M was actually a good game weighed down by odd narrative decisions. Just not up to series standards.

Whereas something like Aliens Colonial Marines is just sad. Or even BioShock Infinite (which at least was functional). CM I haven't actually played (yet) but in that case, video speaks for itself. Infinite, however, I finished on 1999 mode and both the game itself and the promises of 1999 mode fell completely flat to me. I was so pissed.

RE4 - I thought the game would be a survival horror or even just scary. Just a dumb action TPS...

GTA IV - Boring story, boring characters, boring grey setting. Huge downgrade from GTA: SA.

The Third Birthday - came expecting more Parasite Eve awesomeness, left with a sour taste.

Alien Colonial Marines - no need to explain.

Spore, far and away. fable come in close second. I don't think other m would even break my top 10, seeing as the game is actually fun. People are too concerned about the 'story' in a game. It never matters to me if the game is fun.

jimi_dini

Metroid Other M was bad, but it surely was not as disappointing as Metal Gear Solid 4 and GTA IV

Megaton: Metroid Other M by Team Ninja

Especially in retrospect I never understood this.

Team Ninja is known for jiggly boob-physics. This combined with Metroid franchise should never have been considered good news. And in fact there were all sorts of silly ass-shots in the game.

kinda ugly graphics.

Say what you want, but Metroid Other M has really nice graphics. That's the only positive.

And I still have to respect Nintendo for doing it. Because it was a huge risk. It failed, but at least they tried something like this.

SEGIII

Neo Member
In 2006, I saw the E3 trailer for Final Fantasy XIII and broke out in a fury of delight and anticipation.

In 2010, I watched the credits roll as I finished Final Fantasy XIII. I was glad that it was over, and I had no intention of ever playing it again.

That game would be by #1.

While not a #2 (Perhaps at the bottom of the list as I still enjoyed it), BioShock Infinite comes to mind as well. It was like the Half-Life 2 Episode 1 of the series- needless padding and a tad bit shorter than the rest.

Crzy1

Dead Island, anyone?

I never really expected Dead Island to be that good. I mean, Techland never had a great history anyway. Chrome and Call of Juarez were both serviceable games, but nothing to write home about, that's about all I can think of them having made before. Dead Island ended up the same, but it didn't have a huge pedigree to live up to beyond the CG trailer.

Ocaso

Already said, but Other M had a solid gameplay foundation tied to poor direction and narrative choices. I'd have loved a second attempt at that play style.

In any case, Aliens CM seems to be a more profound disappointment to many. Also, as much as I liked Twilight Princess, I think you'd be hard pressed to say it lived up to the hype in that epic reveal trailer.

Alfredo

I actually thought that the Metroid: Other M trailer was a clear warning of what would follow.

The trailer looked so anime. It look more like Final Fantasy than Metroid. It seemed like a weird direction, all to make Metroid more appealing to the Japanese audience. This lead to the crappy anime writing and plot of Metroid Other M.

Of course, gameplay concerns came after.

majik13

Watch_Dogs?

I avoided the game, though i think i preorder the WiiU game like 2 years ago now. I hope i canceled it...

i enjoyed the gameplay of M:OM, but yeah terrible characters

Dunan

Final Fantasy XIII is the winner. Three years of steady hype for what looked like an amazing game. Beautiful landscapes and environments; beautiful pre-release music. Even the demo version of the game seemed fun enough.

Then we got the actual game. Oof.

(Edit: Assassin's Creed 3 is a very, very close second. If I had known tat the Desmond story would end like that, I never would even have picked up the very first AC game.)

I never understood why people were excited for a Metroid game coming from Team Ninja post-Itagaki. Metroid was a series known for its atmosphere and subtle story telling. Like had people not played a single Team Ninja game prior? Even with Itagaki there they were as subtle as a sledgehammer.

Outside of the combat, Ninja Gaiden is as coherent and fluid as an elephant riding a donkey as it charges through a brick wall.

The hype was always lost on me.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Pokémon X and Y, I was blown away by the reveal but once I got the game it ended up being disappointing, not a bad Pokémon game just a disappointing act following gen 5, which was amazing.

Top Bottom