• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

Mudcrab

There's always the variant.

OtvMsmq.jpg

Someone help me out here. Ever since Infinity the role of the Builders confused me a little. They're the oldest species, immortal, seed civilizations, direct evolution. Isn't that also the Celestials? They're super ancient, immortal, seed civilizations, direct evolution...the Builders are multiversal whereas the Celestials aren't; I suppose that's something. I guess my problem is that the Builders just seemed redundant. Do both groups fit together somehow? Did the builders lay the groudwork and the Celestials built upon that within their own universes? Is it the other way around? Do they stay out of each other's way keeping to their own projects? What's the deal?

kswiston

Someone help me out here. Ever since Infinity the role of the Builders confused me a little. They're the oldest species, immortal, seed civilizations, direct evolution. Isn't that also the Celestials? They're super ancient, immortal, seed civilizations, direct evolution...the Builders are multiversal whereas the Celestials aren't; I suppose that's something. I guess my problem is that the Builders just seemed redundant. Do both groups fit together somehow? Did the builders lay the groudwork and the Celestials built upon that within their own universes? Is it the other way around? Do they stay out of each other's way keeping to their own projects? What's the deal?

There are trillions of planets out there. It's not really that difficult to assume that you have multiple races of space gods working in different sectors of the universe. Also, I think it was confirmed in story that the builders only exist in a small fraction of realities. I think that the celestials are more of a common feature across the multiverse, even if they are not multiversal.

ghostmind

Avengers World is basically the third core book for "Time Runs Out" now, as it is explaining a lot of back-story in the time-jump period.

J10

Banned
They're gonna build an ark made out of the Living Tribunal's body? Were they even considering evacuation plans before now?

ghostmind

They're gonna build an ark made out of the Living Tribunal's body? Were they even considering evacuation plans before now?

Absolutely insane what is going on.

Anyone else notice that the ark looks a lot like the original Secret Wars "ships" that brought the heroes and villains to the original Battleworld?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Yes, they did, but they had hope for another solution before. Now, even if they manage to survive the final incursion, who knows what will happen

Of course things aren't going to play out like this but I love the idea of the remnants of 616 floating in an arc ship in utter nothingness

J10

Banned
I think my favorite moment in this story so far is when Cap sends Thor to negotiate with the Builders. That was really unexpected and bad ass.

Mudcrab

Some thoughts on Avengers 42:

It's wild that the Tribunal's body, which was a dangling plot point from 2 years ago, now serves as the hull for the Illuminati's ark. In 2 issues the plot hole is closed.

Black Panther murmuring under his breath about Valeria was a nice touch.

Poor Smasher.

Holy shit at the resources Ultimate Reed has at his disposal. Also, I'm surprised that The City in Battleworld apparently isn't U. Reed's even though we see it in this issue.

That scene with the GotG really makes me hope Hickman does come back to Marvel after his deserved hiatus with that potential Guardians story he mentioned in the EW interview.

Overall this issue was more tell than show which is understandable as shit is going down in the next weeks leading to Secret Wars.

Eh I have a feeling it will be a bit anti-climatic after so long a build up.
After Secret Warriors, FF and Avengers so far, I'm 100% confident Hickman will deliver on the payoff.
Even if it's a 100% new character, which I still doubt, it will tie to things that have been mentioned before.

Beyond who or what Rabum Alal is, my biggest question right now is why there are apparently two competing forces trying to end everything and how they relate to one another. There has to be some causality between Rabum Alal's actions and the Beyonders'. Some kind of multiversal chicken and egg I guess.

Jonogunn

Art marvel unlimited only has up to Aug 2014 for avengers and new avengers.

Anyone know how long it'll take before the rest of the issues come out? I'm so addicted to this story I need more.

Also I'm sure what else to read in the mean time anymore...is AvX good?

Spoit

Art marvel unlimited only has up to Aug 2014 for avengers and new avengers.

Anyone know how long it'll take before the rest of the issues come out? I'm so addicted to this story I need more.

Also I'm sure what else to read in the mean time anymore...is AvX good?

Marvel unlimited is 6 months behind

What the FUCK.

(spoilering impressions, not the reveal itself)
There's an obviousness to it but it still blew my mind as I'm trying to figure what I just read.
Great reveal.
I love that it's simply titled Rabum Alal.

So would anyone mind spoiling in full detail what happened in New Avengers #31? Who is Rabum Alal?

New Avengers #31-
Strange leads the black priests into the Black Swans' library where Strange and his team are overpowered and seemingly all the black priests die. Strange is then brought to Rabum Alal's sanctum by a pair of blind Swans as Rabum Alal forbids anyone looking upon his glory. Strange walks into the room and meets Rabum Alal.

"In all the worlds, in all the universes... I would never have expected to see you here."

It's 616 Dr Doom.

Avixph

New Avengers #31-
Strange leads the black priests into the Black Swans' library where Strange and his team are overpowered and seemingly all the black priests die. Strange is then brought to Rabum Alal's sanctum by a pair of blind Swans as Rabum Alal forbids anyone looking upon his glory. Strange walks into the room and meets Rabum Alal.

It's 616 Dr Doom.

What? How?

No explanation is given but he's with Molecule Man so presumably time-travel and reality altering is involved. None of the Black Swans have actually seen Doom so he's running some kind of Wizard of Oz con.

I'm actually glad he didn't make a new character, makes the detractors criticisms of Hickman's "Super OC Donut steel" hold a lot less water

Agreed. You need it to be a known character for their to be a narrative impact. And man what an impact that was.

What? How?
My working theory:
While studying Incursions with Molecule Man, Doom learned that MM originated from the same earth as the one where RA was born. Following the frequency of Sidera Maris shards, Doom and MM crossed into the void of the multiverse to find that one particular earth. Then they went back in time to when RA was born. It turns out that "birth" was Doom becoming RA, which precipitated the heat death of that particular universe and started the Incursions.

TL;DR: what.

Afrodium

Banned
So are we to assume that
Doom is not the cause of the incursions? Molecule Man makes it sound that even they are unable to defeat the Beyonders and Ivory Kings. Or is this implying that Doom is causing the incursions as a means of killing the Beyonders?

Avixph

No explanation is given but he's with Molecule Man so presumably time-travel and reality altering is involved. None of the Black Swans have actually seen Doom so he's running some kind of Wizard of Oz con.

My working theory:
While studying Incursions with Molecule Man, Doom learned that MM originated from the same earth as the one where RA was born. Following the frequency of Sidera Maris shards, Doom and MM crossed into the void of the multiverse to find that one particular earth. Then they went back in time to when RA was born. It turns out that "birth" was Doom becoming RA, which precipitated the heat death of that particular universe and started the Incursions.

TL;DR: what.

Whoa.

Correct me if I'm wrong here but the only source we have that Rabum Alal is behind the death of the multiverse is the Black Swans and the Black Priests right?

The Black Priests have no idea what is going on and may have heard this from the Swans considering they're at war with them.

Doom started the Black Swans' religion so everything they know is coming from him and his stated purpose is to destroy the Beyonders. Considering their recent actions in killing off all gods maybe the Beyonders are actually the cause of the incursions.

Afrodium

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong here but the only source we have that Rabum Alal is behind the death of the multiverse is the Black Swans and the Black Priests right?

The Black Priests have no idea what is going on and may have heard this from the Swans considering they're at war with them.

Doom started the Black Swans' religion so everything they know is coming from him and his stated purpose is to destroy the Beyonders. Considering their recent actions in killing off all gods maybe the Beyonders are actually the cause of the incursions.

Also, the 'Previously In' page in this issue includes a line about how the Black Swan's info might not be 100% true/correct.

Top Bottom