• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Hickman’s New Avengers / Avengers |OT| Thanos is in this (Spoilers)

Goldrush

To think that a few years ago, Doom being a disembodied spirit of hatred that survived through eons of Earth history was ridicule for being overpowered...

Mudcrab

It hasn't been the MCU fans saying that. It has been the crazy conspiracist theorist.

Well whatever you want to call them, in a couple of OT threads they've definitely tried to tell people that the FF were blacklisted from Marvel comics even after I explained that a number of Fantastic Four characters are at the center of Marvel's biggest event in years.

Mudcrab

Birdie just posted this in the Comics thread. LOL.

B_3NyIpVEAIJEqb.png:large

https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/575842589036912640

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

That was completely awful compared to this. That story was classic Millar tryhard edginess as opposed to something that happened fairly organic in a story that actually does have weight.

Goldrush

That was completely awful compared to this. That story was classic Millar tryhard edginess as opposed to something that happened fairly organic in a story that actually does have weight.

Maybe, but a good chunk of criticism was how could they have the person do anything again because, by comparison, everything else is so trivial.

Mudcrab

They're also a straight JLA expy. That might just be a formidable enough team to come up with a way to deal with a single Beyonder especially if they also had an IG equivalent.

ZimbAdam

I can't believe it's hitting me right now.
How in the hell did The Great Society deal with an Ivory King?

Wait, what?! Fuck, gotta re-read that section...

EDIT: Oh shit, yeah, I remember now, they mention dreading the possibility of having to fight another one... Crazy shit if they actually managed to defeat one, mad implications.

Still gonna re-read it though, the Great Society arc was dope.

PsychBat!

Banned
That was their equivalent of the infinity gauntlet.
Yeah but like the 616 IG, it was destroyed.

I don't know if anyone remembers but Hulk asks The Great Society how was it that they prevented a third incursion (on the Great Society's earth) after Reed said that he has recorded only two. Rider responds that they don't talk about that one. So I wonder if they stopped an Ivory King by their Wishing Box before pushing back an Earth or if they did use their Wishing Box, what could have stopped a Beyonder?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I don't know if anyone remembers but Hulk asks The Great Society how was it that they prevented a third incursion (on the Great Society's earth) after Reed said that he has recorded only two. Rider responds that they don't talk about that one. So I wonder if they stopped an Ivory King by their Wishing Box before pushing back an Earth or if they did use their Wishing Box, what could have stopped a Beyonder?

I can only imagine it was some sort of sacrificial move or something like what Strange did to them. Whatever it was, it must have been dark as hell. No way an IG would stand a chance against a full-grown Beyonder.

Mudcrab

I can only imagine it was some sort of sacrificial move or something like what Strange did to them. Whatever it was, it must have been dark as hell. No way an IG would stand a chance against a full-grown Beyonder.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the point. Whatever it is they did had to be so desperate and extreme that it shamed them completely. Again, remember that they're supposed to be like the JLA so imagine Superman and Batman doing something so terrible that it makes them unable to look at each other whenever it comes up.

Mxrz

Well flip.

I like Doom as much as anyone. But I really wanted Rabum Alal to be some new player. And its Doom. Just Doom. I've been reading since issue 1, and . . .its Doom. Geh. There's all sorts of reasons it makes sense and fits, but its still disappointing. There's no grand cosmic hierarchy scheming to be had, its just Everyone vs the Beyonders.

Which should last all of two seconds seeing as one Beyonder took out everything from the Tribunal down. There is going to have to be some serious Reed-Doom-Franklin wank to explain how they have any sort of chance opposing them. That or Ironman goes and recruits God again.

The scene with Namor and Black Swan in Avengers was pretty neat.

PsychBat!

Banned
Did "All hope lies in Doom" have further meaning? I mean, now that the theory that was discussed earlier has some merit.
If so.... Hickman, you son of a bitch.

Well it was stated that
that Rabum Alal was going toe to toe with the Ivory Kings before. So perhaps the Beyonder's powers get weaker i they get separated or lose members of there species?

Loke13

Did "All hope lies in Doom" have further meaning? I mean, now that the theory that was discussed earlier has some merit.
If so.... Hickman, you son of a bitch.
That's definitely a phrase the could be applied to this arc as well that's why it's so awesome. Now all we need is Future Franklin and Future Valeria to show up.

Mudcrab

Well it was stated that
that Rabum Alal was going toe to toe with the Ivory Kings before. So perhaps the Beyonder's powers get weaker i they get separated or lose members of there species?

I think it's just described as them being at war. Which might fit in with the theory that each of them are racing to destroy worlds for their own purposes. Ivory Kings to simply annihilate and Rabum Alal to create Battleworld from remains.

That's definitely a phrase the could be applied to this arc as well that's why it's so awesome. Now all we need is Future Franklin and Future Valeria to show up.

Believe

I think it's just described as them being at war. Which might fit in with the theory that each of them are racing to destroy worlds for their own purposes. Ivory Kings to simply annihilate and Rabum Alal to create Battleworld from remains.

Believe

Yeah just went back and reread them and they haven't.

Mudcrab

I'm probably more invested in this than any other story in any medium right now.

Definitely true for me. I was a shameless Hickman fanboy before this and now I'm literally giddy thinking about him getting to lead Marvel's biggest event in forever. I mean this dude is pretty good a long-term story telling and he's had almost 3 years of building towards Secret Wars.

People shit on Marvel's events and most of the time they have a pretty good point (SIXIS) but this one just feels like it's going to be different.

I was utterly convinced Future Valeria was the creator of the Black Swans. The last time she appeared in Hickman's Fantastic Four she was in the Council of Reeds pocket universe which was far too similar to the Black Swan library to be a coincidence.

I can't believe it's hitting me right now.
How in the hell did The Great Society deal with an Ivory King?

I hadn't even put that together, but I do like it. We should get a glimpse of how the Great Society held up with
the Multiversal Avengers confronting the Beyonders imminently. Kind of gives them hope of survival.

I was utterly convinced Future Valeria was the creator of the Black Swans. The last time she appeared in Hickman's Fantastic Four she was in the Council of Reeds pocket universe which was far too similar to the Black Swan library to be a coincidence.

I got the same impression, that the pocket universe was behind their doors. Still going with that tbh.

Darg

Neo Member
Isn't Sol's Anvil the device Tony was building on the other side of the sun?

edit: I should have read the post above.

I'm starting to wonder if that was a trolling thing done by the beyonder and he was perfectly fine, the dude is know to do those thing's or them...race...whatever lol.

Hmmm looking back at FF, the council of Reeds did say that they used something called Sol's Anvil to crush a Beyonder.

I recently read through FF and it was shown there as well. Then I read the 600 Fantastic Four to 604 and it was used there to destroy a celestial. They did say that if it were to be used again then it would probably crack the earth.

Now I'm going back to the start of Hickman's run on Fantastic Four to see how it all began. Thanks Marvel Unlimited.

Top Bottom