• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: GTAV will be a 50gb download - Largest PS4 / XONE Game Yet.

The three month wait for the PC version is absolutely KILLING me when I can pick up the PS4/XONE version next month. Damn you, Rockstar!

Must... resist... triple dip!

Geez. Thank God for physical. It'd take me well over a day to download a file of that size.

I cringe at the idea of digital only with our speeds.

I will be preordering this shit today. My PS3 will officially become my PS+ free game console after I get my hands on GTA V on PS4.

onQ123

We have rumors of First person view & now there is something about needing the PlayStation Move Navigation controller for motion controls. I have a feeling GTAV for PS4 is going to let you hold the DS4 like a gun while using the Navigation controller to walk around.

Or just have the DS4 as your virtual hand when in first person mode.

gta-5-psn-listing.png

DS4%2BLight%2BGun%2B.jpg

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
We have rumors of First person view & now there is something about needing the PlayStation Move Navigation controller for motion controls. I have a feeling GTAV for PS4 is going to let you hold the DS4 like a gun while using the Navigation controller to walk around.

Or just have the DS4 as your virtual hand when in first person mode.

Blue Estate's controls didn't work. DS4 just loses calibration too fast. Maybe it would be fine in conjunction with the camera I don't have.

The Llama

As I said in the MCC thread, I don't even mind these big games just because I hope it eventually leads to ISP's dropping data caps.

Gavin115

Unconfirmed Member
These remasters seem to be taking up a lot of space, MCC collection needs a 20GB update, Tlou being around 40GB and now this.

Is there something about remasters that make them really big? Because this seems strange to me.

I haven't kept up with the new consoles much but can you play these games without having to install them, seems pretty ridiculous that you have to install every game on your hard drive. What happened to playing off the disc?

Vhagar

Neo Member
These remasters seem to be taking up a lot of space, MCC collection needs a 20GB update, Tlou being around 40GB and now this.

Is there something about remasters that make them really big? Because this seems strange to me.

MCC is 4 full games plus the pre-rendered Blur cutscenes for H2A. If those cutscenes run at a decent bitrate, it would take up a lot of space by itself.
TLOU was a pretty big game to begin with on the PS3. But they added in all the DLC and redid all pre-rendered cutscenes in 1080p/60, which once again takes up a fair amount of space.
These two are pretty unique in the amount of space they need and a lot of it is down to cutscene data. There are plenty of other remasters like Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs that had no problem with disc size.

Gavin115

Unconfirmed Member
MCC is 4 full games plus the pre-rendered Blur cutscenes for H2A. If those cutscenes run at a decent bitrate, it would take up a lot of space by itself.
TLOU was a pretty big game to begin with on the PS3. But they added in all the DLC and redid all pre-rendered cutscenes in 1080p/60, which once again takes up a fair amount of space.
These two are pretty unique in the amount of space they need and a lot of it is down to cutscene data. There are plenty of other remasters like Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs that had no problem with disc size.

MCC makes sense, 43GB still sounds like a lot for TLOU though, but I guess I know next to nothing about this it just seems weird sometimes.

Ateron

How does this work,since you can't pause downloads on the ps4, and if you turn it off the DL stops? Just leave it on for 2 days? 50GB is insane, digital future be damned. And I'm not even taking into account those with low speeds or bandwith caps.

While I'm at it Sony should let us delete the install files but keep patches/Dlcs.. BF4 is using up 58GB of HDD space, and even though I haven't played it in 2 months I'm keeping the file,cause I might want to play tomorrow but ain't in the mood for DLoading 16GB of patches/expansions. But I'm starting to get strapped for HDD space, so it will have to go if I'm to play gta v..

I guess people are confused that the downloadable update is actual content rather than just a patch. It's 65GB total. But then again, it's 4.5 games rather than just 1, so maybe it's a different contest.

Not necessarily. As patch data on Xbox One overwrites any altered files (rather than keeping the original files and loading the patch on top, like 360), the final disc space used is almost always smaller than the sum of the game and patch separately. It's possible the difference won't be huge, but it'll probably be at least notable. I'd be willing to bet at least a couple gigs less than 65.

I haven't kept up with the new consoles much but can you play these games without having to install them, seems pretty ridiculous that you have to install every game on your hard drive. What happened to playing off the disc?

Blu-ray happenned. Data transfer is not enougth (less than dvds) specially in the low cost models the consoles use.

ironcreed

Banned
Lawds. Not looking forward to that download. Especially since I also have Dragon Age: Inquisition and Far Cry 4 on the same day. I guess I'll just pre-load one a day before release.

Hawk269

The Halo Master Chief Collection will have this beat. The initial game download of Halo MCC is 48 GB. Then there will be to 20GB content download closer to release of the game, making it 68gb, which is the largest game to date for the current available consoles.

edit...beaten by above posts and badly too! :)

The remakes you mentioned are ones that had a lot of work done to them with new assets and more, so yeah, they are going to be big.

How big is Sleeping Dogs compared to the original? I know that remake hasn't impressed many people at all, many calling it a cash grab. I assume it isn't a huge title...size wise.

The remakes you mentioned are ones that had a lot of work done to them with new assets and more, so yeah, they are going to be big.

How big is Sleeping Dogs compared to the original? I know that remake hasn't impressed many people at all, many calling it a cash grab. I assume it isn't a huge title...size wise.
On PS4, it's under 17gb.

Bsigg12

Will AAA titles have to start releasing at the beginning /end of the month for people with data caps..

Microsoft is already doing that. In seriousness though, Microsoft putting up preloads as soon as the game goes gold is really nice because you can download it well in advance of release.

The Argus

How does this work,since you can't pause downloads on the ps4, and if you turn it off the DL stops? Just leave it on for 2 days? 50GB is insane, digital future be damned. And I'm not even taking into account those with low speeds or bandwith caps.

Just set it to standby. It continues downloading and even offers a quick boot up when downloading a file. I almost never turn my PS4 off.

Fox Mulder

The Halo Master Chief Collection will have this beat. The initial game download of Halo MCC is 48 GB. Then there will be to 20GB content download closer to release of the game, making it 68gb, which is the largest game to date for the current available consoles.

edit...beaten by above posts and badly too! :)

that's crazy.

can the xb1 do external storage? This is only the beginning and I won't want to delete 70GB's to make room for something down the road.

ReaperXL7

such things happen when you increase texture sizes

for the uninitiated: textures make up a huge chunk of game data, increasing detail scales exponentially (512x512 is 4 times larger than 256x256)

I would think this would be even more important if the First Person mode is actually in the game right?

I mean it wouldn't make sense for them to let you go into FPS mode if when you did everything looked like garbage.

malfcn

Doubt it. Those people will have to wait I guess.

GAMERS FORCED TO PAY OVERAGE FEES FOR BUYING GAME.

Or something.
I can see the headlines. The same Jimmy that charged $600 to their parents while playing Farmville are going to have their parents paying fit blowing past caps.

Top Bottom