• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: GTAV will be a 50gb download - Largest PS4 / XONE Game Yet.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well that certainly confirmed my physical purchase!

ironcreed

Banned
I fell asleep last night downloading 28 GB on my PS4 and woke up before the sun rose to find it done. This will not take too much longer.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I just did the math there, and on my current connection it would take me around 4 days and 10 hours of constant 24/7 downloading for a 50GB game.

The joys of living in the UK countryside.

Remember when games used to be less than 1mb ? Those were the days!

50gb is insane, I nearly fell over when I saw how big NBA 2K15 was

sunnz

When games were literally no where near the size and quality ( in terms of texture, audio, graphics etc) of today?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Remember when games didn't exist? Those were the days!

what a stupid comparison.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
But isn't it a part of "Day 1 Digital"?
I thought all the games in that category would have pre-load

They do. For some reason, it's random what pages on PSN decide to list this feature. It's just part of the poor job Sony does explaining their storefront and keeping it consistent.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

Ten years ago, new PC games were barely pushing 1-2GB in install sizes (with the biggest one being like 3.6GB).

And ten years before that, they came on 0.5-1MB floppy disks.

I suspect that the size of these games is down to audio and pre-rendered videos. If that's the case, then one way of making these game sizes more friendly (on Steam at least) is to bundle the default install with 720p videos and English language voices. You can make 1080p-4K videos and other languages free DLC.

jett

D-Member

Nowadays save files are bigger than the games of yesteryear. Back in the PS1 memory cards days devs had to make due with 8KB per each block. The more head room you give devs in terms of space, the less they care to optimize their stuff, it seems. :p I honestly have no clue why would NBA 2K14/15 require 40+GB.

Title needs to change, Diablo 3, Wolfenstein The New Order and The Master Chief Collection are larger than this, however man that's still huge for a last gen port

SFenton

Speaking of sizes, I think it speaks to something when I was pleasantly surprised that Fantasia on Xbox One is only about 6 GB.

wheeeeeee future

Pachinko

'Dem higher quality textures.

on 360/ps3 the art assets are probably squashed down to 1/8th of their original size or maybe even less. Also , wasn't there supposed to be a couple new radio stations worth of content ? that's gotta eat up a few gigabytes and with it - all of the games voice over in general could be less compressed. Which in turn uses up yet more space.

I couldn't really find out just how much space the texture maps eat up in GTAV out of it's 18 gigs of total space but given the title has no CG cutscenes it must be a fairly substantial portion of space.

This quick usage of all 50 gigs available on the new systems is kind of suprising though, are developers just not bothering to use compression on the disc now ? Makes me wonder if Final Fantasy XV might just end up being the first 2 bluray release that isn't a compilation. Square loves them some 1080p cinematics and a 50 GB bluray can hold 3 hours or so. You can be pretty sure there will be at least 60 minutes on there and given that FFXIII managed to fill up a bluray 4 years ago , well I think we could very easily see our first 100 GB game in a year or 2.

I fell asleep last night downloading 28 GB on my PS4 and woke up before the sun rose to find it done. This will not take too much longer.
downloaded NBA 2K14 at launch on my PS4 within like 40 mins and that file was like 48 GB if I can recall. I do have a 50mb internet connection though. Not to worried about this DL especially with the preload feature. I will preload GTA V on the 16th and it will be ready to play on the 19th.

Bsigg12

holy shit, that big?

including patch?

might have to go digital on that one as you can download the patch before the game is out.

If I go the disc route, I won't be able to play the game right away, waiting for the patch to download.

You can play campaign and some custom game stuff while it downloads but preloading at the moment is the way to go.

I need to start thinking about putting a larger HD in my PS4.
I have been getting away with deleting games im no longer playing from my library for HD space. They still remain in your library for redownloading whenever. I usually only play 1 or maybe 2 certain games at a time so I should be fine.

Top Bottom