• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help! Halo: MCC isn't downloading to my XB1

So I pre-ordered Halo MCC earlier today on my Xbone. I checked on it periodically and saw it get to 9%. Eventually my Xbox went into standby after idling, turned it back on and it was at 41%. Xbox went into standby again, checked it a few hours ago and it was back at 31%. Watched it get to 33% then figured it was OK, and just checked now and it's back at 31%, the same as it was hours ago. It's now going at 32 but I'm pretty sure it's going to drop back again.

Is there any way to see more detail on what files/how much has been downloaded? All it says is just "installing".

Has anyone else seen something like this? I think my next step might just be cancelling/deleting it and restarting but I'm hoping I don't need to do that.

Just to clarify - Xbox One can still download things while it's in standby, correct?

Darranged

Neo Member
You basically need to get the download done in one. No pauses, no switching off of the console. What the game does, is download each individual game in chunks. So if you can get each game downloaded in one go, you should be good to go at least.

I can't remember what the thresholds are right now for each chunk, but I have had the exact same problem as well, as I'm busy with a review copy.

You basically need to get the download done in one. No pauses, no switching off of the console. What the game does, is download each individual game in chunks. So if you can get each game downloaded in one go, you should be good to go at least.

I can't remember what the thresholds are right now for each chunk, but I have had the exact same problem as well, as I'm busy with a review copy.

Wow, really? So you can't even put it in standby? That's strange. Thanks though, that explains it. The 31% must be the threshold for one of the games, which is why it's dropping back to that.

sector4

This was happening to friends of mine, and their data usage was showing it was indeed redownloading parts over and over again.

Damn. Wonder why is seems to be an MCC-only problem? Every other game I've downloaded did just fine with me switching it off (actually standby).

Hawk269

When I bought it, I started the download and once I saw that it was going, I turned it off (stand by) and left the house to go grocery shopping. When I checked it about 2 hours later it was done. So for me, it indeed download while in stand by like all my other purchases.

SegaShack

You can hold down the power button to clear the system cache. Worked for a friend when his update would stop at a certain percent.

edit: Thought it was weird that it has taken so long for my game to finish downloading.

Thanks guys. I changed my power settings to never shut off automatically, gonna leave it overnight and see if it completes.

Good thing I didn't wait until the day before, haha!

Omni

I used 100GB of data downloading the MCC. I had to call up my ISP and get a reset because I used half of my monthly allowance in two days.

All because I put it in standby. And we haven't even got the 20GB patch yet! I hope to god it works, 'cause I can't download it again

TaKeRx

I used 100GB of data downloading the MCC. I had to call up my ISP and get a reset because I used half of my monthly allowance in two days.

All because I put it in standby. And we haven't even got the 20GB patch yet! I hope to god it works, 'cause I can't download it again

I'm pretty sure they said the preload includes the patch. I might of heard wrong though

Have they said when the patch is supposed to hit? Not on launch day, right??

USC-fan

Banned

Wow crazy. I only get 300 with comcast. I feel your pain!

Hawk269

I'm pretty sure they said the preload includes the patch. I might of heard wrong though

For one it is not a patch. It is a content update. The 48gb we are downloading is what comes on the disk, then on top of that we have the approx. 20gb download of the additional content. From what I have read, the majority of this content is most of the MP maps. On the disk, again going from what I have read around is the 4 games and some MP maps.

In total, once all is said and done, the full game is around 68gb in size.

For one it is not a patch. It is a content update. The 48gb we are downloading is what comes on the disk, then on top of that we have the approx. 20gb download of the additional content. From what I have read, the majority of this content is most of the MP maps. On the disk, again going from what I have read around is the 4 games and some MP maps.

In total, once all is said and done, the full game is around 68gb in size.

So if someone doesn't have an internet connection, they'll be missing a chunk of the game?

RyudBoy

I ordered the game like a week ago, went to sleep, turned on the XB1 the next day and it was fully downloaded.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who hasn't encountered these type of issues so far.

Hawk269

So if someone doesn't have an internet connection, they'll be missing a chunk of the game?

Yes. You will be missing 20gb of the game, which is a lot of the MP maps. There was a big thread about it and a lot of questioning why they did not just include a 2nd disk. I think the reasoning is that they are still working on the content, so it would not be ready for packaging/pressing of the disk.

Yes. You will be missing 20gb of the game, which is a lot of the MP maps. There was a big thread about it and a lot of questioning why they did not just include a 2nd disk. I think the reasoning is that they are still working on the content, so it would not be ready for packaging/pressing of the disk.

Interesting. Has this been done before? I'm curious about the legal implications of selling a product that's missing a large section of content unless you go online and download it.

Then again, if it's only the MP stuff you wouldn't be able to experience it without internet anyway.

But if say, a SP campaign was unusable without the patch, that would surely be quite something

Noticed this myself today. I've got two copies of the game sat on my hard disk with another still sat in my queue.

Both are slightly different file sizes. With a few hundred mb difference between them.

Wonder if I'm better off deleting both and starting again. Thankfully I have to data cap with my ISP

Mr.Fusion

Last night I turned my system off (standby mode) when Halo was at 31%. This morning it was still at 31%. So I just left the system on, it got to 39% when I played Fantasia, after returning to the home screen I noticed it was back at 31%. I guess I won't play anything, turn it off, or even watch TV through it the next couple of days so that it will download.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I had to leave my console on all day to get it done. A pain in the ass, but at least the fix is easy.

sam777

Wow, really? So you can't even put it in standby? That's strange. Thanks though, that explains it. The 31% must be the threshold for one of the games, which is why it's dropping back to that.

You can leave it in standby but you have to be 100% sure the download is complete when you turn it back on but to be safe I would leave the console on so you can see the progress. Also don't play anything in between. Do nothing with the console, I learned the hard way.

You can leave it in standby but you have to be 100% sure the download is complete when you turn it back on but to be safe I would leave the console on so you can see the progress. Also don't play anything in between. Do nothing with the console, I learned the hard way.

I usually now set any downloads to start before I go to sleep so it 100% downloads while in standby. Then when I hop on the next day I get the notification it is ready to go.

MCC did take ages to download in general compared to other games though.

Mr.Fusion

My console has been left on since yesterday afternoon just setting on the screen showing the installation, it had gotten from 31% yesterday to about 60% when I checked it a couple hours ago. I just checked it again and it is back to 35%. I'm not sure that it will ever download.

My console has been left on since yesterday afternoon just setting on the screen showing the installation, it had gotten from 31% yesterday to about 60% when I checked it a couple hours ago. I just checked it again and it is back to 35%. I'm not sure that it will ever download.

Wow, that's messed up. For the record, to follow up on my thread, I changed it to never turn off and left it on overnight, and the install completed.

But if you left yours on and it still went from 60 to 35 then I have no idea what's happening. I really wish the Xbox would give you more details on what exactly it's downloading. It's nice how the PS4 shows the independent status of both the game and the patch, and you can see the actual numbers. I assume MS will implement something similar in an update.

MCC did take ages to download in general compared to other games though.

It was crazy, I watched the progress for a bit. Took an hour to move maybe 4%. For context, I have a 25 mbps down connection and can download about 7 GB in just over a half hour.

A ~45 GB download should take no longer than 4-5 hours tops.

I don't get it. I turned off my xb1 off while I was downloading it at 2%. The next day it was 30 something %, turned it off. And now I'm pretty sure it's done? How to check? It says playable 11/11.

I don't get it. I turned off my xb1 off while I was downloading it at 2%. The next day it was 30 something %, turned it off. And now I'm pretty sure it's done? How to check? It says playable 11/11.

If it shows as installed and not in your "queue" then I assume that means it's done. That's where mine is, anyway.

Kadin

Glad I found this topic. My install was at 33% about 5.5 hours ago and then it dropped to 31% an hour later. Since then it's still at 31% yet approx 14GBs have been downloaded according to the bandwidth app.

Unfortunately I rushed to just uninstall and start over before reading that you can do a hard reset. Either way, this sucks. I thought for sure that I could power off the system and it would continue downloading and allow me to play games here and there and pause the d/l like the 360 does. I'm continuing to become less and less impressed with this system.

Freeser

Well, from disc will obviously be faster as the reading speed of the BR drive probably exceeds your internet connection (or what the MS servers can deliver)

True, a 6x bluray (xbox one) drive reads at 216mbps so under optimum conditions it will transfer at 27Mb/s which is faster than most residential connections. Under these conditions it would take just under 30 minutes to install all 46Gb of MCC, you will also have to tack on the 20Gb patch on top of that which install times can vary greatly depending on your bandwidth.

All told I downloaded over 400 GB worth of data in trying to get the MCC download to finish. I was not successful until I became an Xbox One preview member and received a November preview build of the OS.

With the preview build installed I paused/resumed, turned system on/off, and used "always on" power mode (downloading with system off) and the download was not interrupted.

Top Bottom