• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs GTAV on XONE - performance analysis

cackhyena

Do people really defend the Xbox One controller? I loved the Xbox 360 controller and hated the loose crappy sticks on the DualShock 3, but this gen it went the other way. The Xbox One's sticks are too loose, and the DualShock 4's are nice and tight.

Also the price is a rip-off for the Xbox One controller. Want to make it rechargeable? Add $25. Wanna use your own headset? Add $25.

So for the equivalent functionality -- not counting not having a touchpad and a speaker -- The Xbox One controller will cost you $110. Want to use it wirelessly on your PC via Bluetooth? Nope, can't do that. DS4 can.

I'll concede the Xbox One controller has a couple advantages -- better triggers and better battery life. But overall, it's a terrible value.
Sticks are fine to me. Just feels better all around. It doesn't bother me to have to buy a 12 buck pack of Eneloops and a headset adapter, though. I can't buy and upgrade for rumble triggers on the DS4. I thought those would be a dumb addition, but they really are something all controllers should have going forward. Silent triggers are great as well.

I do like the DS4 a lot, though. Much improved over the shitty DS3. Still superior d pad since it is dead silent compared to the obnoxiously clicky one on the X1 controller.

Sticks are fine to me. Just feels better all around. It doesn't bother me to have to buy a 12 buck pack of Eneloops and a headset adapter, though. I can't buy and upgrade for rumble triggers on the DS4. I thought those would be a dumb addition, but they really are something all controllers should have going forward. Silent triggers are great as well.

I do like the DS4 a lot, though. Much improved over the shitty DS3. Still superior d pad since it is dead silent compared to the obnoxiously clicky one on the X1 controller.

I find the xbox one controller noisy and clicky overall, my A button especially

Mastah

RWA2KMR.gif

Not addressing this to you per se but people do not need to rationalize anything to others. What they choose to do with their money is a personal matter. Calling them out for for something that takes nothing away from you is some irrational and nonsensical shit and needs to stop. Rationalizing this shit slinging with "der its a thread about graphics" is not a defense. I'm not reading "xbox one has better grass" but I am reading "hahahahaha controls and friends? REALLY!". It's absurd.

If people are happy with their choices and it does not interfere with your enjoyment, then nothing needs to be said.

The worse they will do, Art, is say "no". It's happened to me and hasn't had any influence over any other aspect of my customer experience tbh. I would use something along the lines of "did not live up to expectations per info released" or something along those lines.

Maybe you should contact a mod about this, Y2KEV has been very clear about the "friends" crap. Locked thread, so I can not link directly:

"lesson number 10: no one cares about what your friends are buying. Seriously stop posting about it."

Wiseguy

Banned
So Xbone has a little less foliage. How does this impact people's enjoyment of the game again?

Graphics whores be trollin...lol

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So Xbone has a little less foliage. How does this impact people's enjoyment of the game again?

? Because graphics are a big part of the enjoyment of the game.

Especially when the whole point of the re release is to have improved graphics?

This cannot be a serious post.

From my time with it last night I didn't notice crushed blacks. I'm pretty sensitive to it if you've seen my previous posts. Dragon Age on the other hand...

I wonder if that gaming bolt video captured the XB1 version incorrectly.

Chobel

You're gonna have a bright future in here.

From my time with it last night I didn't notice crushed blacks. I'm pretty sensitive to it if you've seen my previous posts. Dragon Age on the other hand...

I wonder if that gaming bolt video captured the XB1 version incorrectly.

Wait a sec? DA:I have crushed blacks? This one is definitely on Bioware, all other Frostbite engine games didn't have black crush issue.

d9b

Banned
.. Rationalizing this shit slinging with "der its a thread about graphics" is not a defense. I'm not reading "xbox one has better grass" but I am reading "hahahahaha controls and friends? REALLY!". It's absurd.

Xbox one has better grass? That's news to me.

nOoblet16

Eh? Why would this be happening?

Is it wrong that I'm not buying the game again because of this? As a foliage whore in games it just disappoints me. PS4's version looks great. Xbone's is just... eh.

Less available bandwidth on XB1 is the only answer I can think of, especially since it's 1080P like the PS4 version as well.

Wiseguy

Banned
You're in a thread about the technical details of the game, if you don't care about them, why are you here?

I'm here to read about real technical details and how they might impact the gameplay IE: Framerate, VSync, lousy resolution, etc...Sounds like this is a small issue IMO. Some of you guys troll real hard for the littlest details. Just buy it on your console of choice an be happy.

bj00rn_

Banned
? Because graphics are a big part of the enjoyment of the game.

Especially when the whole point of the re release is to have improved graphics?

I totally agree. And that's why I'm waiting for the best looking version. Both Xbox One and PS4 looks good tho.

Is it wrong that I'm not buying the game again because of this? As a foliage whore in games it just disappoints me. PS4's version looks great. Xbone's is just... eh.
I bought a 360 before I got around to picking up a PS3 just because of RDR. I'm a grass whore.

I'm here to read about real technical details and how they might impact the gameplay IE: Framerate, VSync, lousy resolution, etc...Sounds like this is a small issue IMO. Some of you guys troll real hard for the littlest details. Just buy it on your console of choice an be happy.

You could do a better job of conveying that outside of "graphics whores be trolling... lol" I would maybe dial it back since you're new here.Just saying.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

You are missing the point of a performance thread. Get out while you still can.

You're gonna have a bright future in here.

Wait a sec? DA:I have crushed blacks? This one is definitely on Bioware, all other Frostbite engine games didn't have black crush issue.

I think Dragon Age has the problem on all platforms. Comparison videos seem to show gamma is consistent across all platforms. I could be wrong about this, though.

It's times like these that I wish that they'd just go for 900p instead of trying to tick a box on a system that can't handle it. I'd prefer that over losing detail like this.

Reduced image quality as a tradeoff for extra grass and lens flare? Hell no.

SgtCobra

You seem like a wiseguy.

Don't let foliage ruin your enjoyment of the game. Buy it for the Xbox One if that's your only option available, the game still looks very good on it.

More importantly, how is the fps on the PS4 version anyway? I'm only hearing complaints from people who own the PS4 version.

Wiseguy

Banned
I'll have a good laugh when DF says that the PS4 version has more judder. Something that could impact gameplay and cause eye fatigue. You can keep your grass LOL.

MDSLKTR

Something is wrong with yours, then. The face buttons are pretty much exactly the same, sound wise.

No, mine is clicky and noisy too. Especially the stick when it grinds againts it's plastic enclosure. I found I dislike it more and more since I bought it personally.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Can someone verify if those two gif comparisons are real. I'm not sure if Gaf is on one of its humorous runs and I'm about to make my self look stupid.

cackhyena

It's times like these that I wish that they'd just go for 900p instead of trying to tick a box on a system that can't handle it. I'd prefer that over losing detail like this.
Same.

No, mine is clicky and noisy too. Especially the stick when it grinds againts it's plastic enclosure. I found I dislike it more and more since I bought it personally.

I'm literally sitting her with both controllers. Apart from the dpads, they sound exactly the same. Don't know what else to say. Bum controllers aren't out of the question, I guess. I never had any problems with the DS4 sticks like so many had,either. Guess I'm lucky.

d9b

Banned

I can't even.

Top Bottom