• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU 2 listing spotted on Amazon France

fred

Hopefully it's on PS4 and PC so it actually has a chance to sell something this time. Loved the first, wouldn't mind an enhanced port on other platforms at the right price.

Like I've said above, the game wouldn't work on any other platforms. They could have a PS4 SKU using the Vita as the Prepper Pad but the lag would ruin the experience. Same with the Xbox One and using Smart Glass with a smartphone. And if you take the second screen out of the equation then you'll take the stress and tension out of the equation that made the first game so good.

impact

Banned
Like I've said above, the game wouldn't work on any other platforms. They could have a PS4 SKU using the Vita as the Prepper Pad but the lag would ruin the experience. Same with the Xbox One and using Smart Glass with a smartphone. And if you take the second screen out of the equation then you'll take the stress and tension out of the equation that made the first game so good.

No they definitely could because I played it and beat it. I don't think the game "wouldn't work" if I didn't have to look at a controller to see my inventory. The most tense and best horror games of all time are all played on controllers without a screen.

No they definitely could because I played it and beat it. I don't think the game "wouldn't work" if I didn't have to look at a controller to see my inventory. The most tense and best horror games of all time are all played on controllers without a screen.

Not sure I've ever played a horror game more tense than Zombi U honestly. Stuff like REmake as a project is much more polished, but it's also been done before and honed over the years.

Tak3n

Banned

Two ways to manage this.... first split screen, as the idea behind the pad is your vulnerable whilst using it, or second they could just make it go full screen

I agree neither are ideal but it is workable, I will be honestly surprised if they go just Wii U

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
so...

1) Just a mistake
2) Actually a leak, and if so

2.1) PS4One game
2.2) Wii U exclusive game, because Nintendo somehow funded it

I think option 1) is the safest bet, while if the leak is real, the U in the name points at option 2.2) as alternative possibility

Of course this is not the Ubi finished game, that they already confirmed being for families (could be another Just dance or a Rabbid game or something different, maybe NFC-based)

Cyd0nia

Banned
It'd be really cool if the chopper at the end of the first game was just taking you to a nearby safe-haven - another city like Edinburgh, Glasgow or Paris... if it stays within the UK, they may find a way to bring the original Prepper back as well. Maybe the game could start with another survivor leaving the capital with the Prepper.

I would dearly love this to be true. The first game suffers a little for being a launch game - loading, visuals could be polished a little more - I think they'd have that shit ironed out now. I bet they'd know how to market it better too, allowing Me As a Zombie to share to Miiverse or Facebook or something.

I hope the Montpellier guys are reading this and that they're still involved if it IS true. Maybe Bandai-Namco involvement is just a way of Nintendo surrogately paying for development.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I don't get this notion that you need the gamepad to play the game. It's simply more convenient, that's all. Dark Souls also leaves you vulnerable while in an inventory screen. It's not an unheard of concept.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Will most likely buy if real. I liked the first one, it was decent but obviously rushed for launch. A sequel with enough time and polish could be something special.

NewGame

Banned
Sweet! I adored the first game, probably the only AAA survival horror I've played. Stuff like The Evil Within feels like an action game and P.T/Slender/walk-em-up-not-scary games are just... not survival horrors! I would love to see the first game expanded upon with a more 'open' world and more effort into specializing your character/playstyle.

I don't get this notion that you need the gamepad to play the game. It's simply more convenient, that's all. Dark Souls also leaves you vulnerable while in an inventory screen. It's not an unheard of concept.
Of course you could play it without a screen, but why anyone would want to downgrade the game that much is beyond me.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Amazing if true. Even more amazing if Ubisoft isn't publishing it.

I remember that I handled 3 at once one time.
and got shredded the other various times
. It's doable, but you have to think everything through and execute the plan perfectly.

I really love it that a single zombie can kill you within seconds. You have to be on your guard all the time.

After Bayonetta 2, I think that's actually a possibility.

I mean ZombiU is the best selling 3rd party game on Wii U. And it's something really special. Beloved by plenty of people. Extremely hardcore. Uses the gamepad in a perfect manner. It actually would make sense for Nintendo to buy out the IP and let some other developer create it.

After that interview with Julien Eggebrecht (former Factor 5) where he said Namco-Bandai tried to publish their Rogue Squadron game on Wii, I kind of feel like this is possible. Plus Namco publish the Souls games right? ZombiU is similar to those in more ways than one.

TheMoon

Gamespot and IGN were the most damaging reviews. The game had plenty of good reviews but those are 2 of the most popular sites and they put their reviews out early. IGN never should have let Greg Miller review a game that wasn't on a Sony system.

Made people think that it was a repeat of the disappointing Red Steel. I almost didn't pick it up after seeing the Gamespot review before release. Glad that I ended up getting it. It was a great tense experience

That GS review was the dumbest thing I ever read since someone who had otherwise only reviewed fighting games which implied a certain preference for complex combat reviewed this and didn't understand what the game was going for at all. Couple that with the fact that it was the worst score that made the game sound like complete junk AND it was "accidentally" leaked just before launch and you got me throwing up the middle finger.

In a perfect world Nintendo would scoop up the IP (along with Timesplitters), resurrect and expand Eurocom and turn them in to their FPS/Horror dev.

I still think Nintendo letting Eurocom fall by the wayside was a mistake.

Aw yes! Eurocom x n-Space with Nintendo oversight.

https://twitter.com/Bignozjip

Here is the guys twitter who twitted back in May 2014 about ZombiU 2 in prototype stage

He has a lot of retweets from people asking for ZombiU 2, many of them this year

I really feel ZombiU was some kind of passion project for the team, making something so completely gameplay focused and un-Ubisoft like during their shift to "all open world all the time!" going full on hardcore "can you survive?" without babysitting players through everything.

wonder if ubisoft knows/cares that, by this point, the game seems to garner near universal positive discussion whenever it comes up.

not unless everyone shoots them a fiver every time the name is mentioned. :(

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
That GS review was the dumbest thing I ever read since someone who had otherwise only reviewed fighting games which implied a certain preference for complex combat reviewed this and didn't understand what the game was going for at all. Couple that with the fact that it was the worst score that made the game sound like complete junk AND it was "accidentally" leaked just before launch and you got me throwing up the middle finger.
The GameSpot review was leaked many hours before end of embargo, I doubt it was unintended. And if it was, it still remained an execution.

BratmanDu

'Definitely' followed by your opinion - ok. No you have a valid point, but I think something would be lost without gamepad usage, it's one thing having translucent menus on screen without pausing gameplay, it's another to physically 'check your bag' and have your avatar on screen rummaging in the bag at the same time, only to look up and see approaching enemies - that part of ZU added a lot for me.

The scanning and scope aiming are the two things I don't think need the gamepad.

Sometimes when talking about ZombiU and how it would so easily work without the gamepad, people fail to mention the Aliens style motion tracker with the beeping, having that onscreen would take away a lot from the atmosphere. Touchscreen is also great for messaging (onscreen keyboard), dragging and dropping inventory, and map navigation, but you never hear this.

"Dark Souls does it!" get's a lot of mention when discussing a theoretical ZU2, but are these games even in the same genre or trying to achieve the same thing? Is 'make it like Dark Souls' the best way to sustain a franchise (assuming the leak is real)?

ZombiU has it's own unique attributes, and I think a lot of them are overlooked because some people simply hate the gamepad and want it banished to the land of wind and ghosts. But whether you like the gamepad or not, you'll find many people who enjoyed ZombiU accept that it's implemented pretty well there, and contributes greatly to the atmosphere - and in that genre, atmosphere is key.

Some will say "wiiU has no games to justify the gamepad!!" and then say 'boo' when it actually has a game that justifies the gamepad and uses it well. I expect when ZeldaU comes out with it's presumably well implemented gamepad usage, we'll see the same faces saying 'it could work without the gamepad'! Maybe so, but would part of the developers' vision for that game be lost?

ozfunghi

so...

1) Just a mistake
2) Actually a leak, and if so

2.1) PS4One game
2.2) Wii U exclusive game, because Nintendo somehow funded it

I think option 1) is the safest bet, while if the leak is real, the U in the name points at option 2.2) as alternative possibility

Of course this is not the Ubi finished game, that they already confirmed being for families (could be another Just dance or a Rabbid game or something different, maybe NFC-based)

It's listed as Wii U though. So either you believe the listing to be false, meaning it's a mistake and the game isn't getting made for any platform; or you think the listing is true, then why believe the scarse information except for the platform? I mean they list the game, they specifically mention the publisher as NOT Ubisoft.

My point is, either they're just randomly filling out shit and the listing itself shouldn't be believed, or they know the game is actually coming and filled out the little information they had.

NewGame

Banned
Here's my suggestions for the sequel:

- There's a bunch of things that need expanding. The map should be larger and more varied, the weapon types and disposable weapons would be great (more on this later). More zombie types with different or unexpected placements/altercations to encounters. Puzzles and look finding expeditions were quite fun but I wish there was more variants than just 'find the invisible numbers'. Honestly I don't care for story which is why the first one did quite well for me, I loved it how I could relate to the 'lore' and atmosphere of the apocalypse. Keep it to a minimum, less is more.

- Inventory management, this is great so far! I love using the touch screen gamepad which disables your radar, removes your movement and weapons and leaves you vulnerable while shaking your bag trying to find what you want. I'd love to see the items get mixed up so every time you look in your bag things move around and get misplaced or in low light situations items should be less distinguishable. I really loved micromanaging items in the game with a limited slot of 6 on hand items and 24 (?) stowable ones. I'd really enjoy enviromental items or risk based loot like keeping unnecessary or puzzle related items that have a pay off if you know where to take them/what to do with them all the while ruining your precious inventory space.

- Disposable weapons, because this is the zombie apocalypse I'd really love some makeshift weapons that have durability. This would be great as it forces you to once again use the inventory management techniques the game so expertly threw aside once you figured out flare/grenade + decent gun for pickoffs. I'd love to have makeshift melee items and instances where you're forced to use only a selection of certain tools (aka: the carnival). The gameplay really shines in this circumstances especially when mines and other placeable hazards are involved. Essentially I want every reason possible to have to use my bag.

- Finally I'd love more creepy or haunting imagery. ZombiU didn't capitalize on it but there were some great moments where you saw homes, shopping centers and museums, places that really felt 'lived' in become these cursed roaming lurks for the undead with ever watchful ravens lingering everywhere you went. The concept that technology, science and intellect are not enough to fight what 'it' was. There were some religious tones to it but not so much later on, I assume it was too touchy a subject because 'lol vidagaem' but maybe the next installment can push envelopes.

- Music. Eh it works. Not as good as the stuff from Left4Dead but still quite nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y628cYesjNQ - Main theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEWT6RSMpSU - Escape The Tower
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsC7ILz7eIE - God Save The Queen

"Well may we say God save the queen- because nothing will save YOU" - Apocolypse Gough Whitlam

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Of course you could play it without a screen, but why anyone would want to downgrade the game that much is beyond me.

As if an inventory screen is the most important aspect of the game. Give me an item wheel and I'm fine, I don't need to tap on item icons on a seperate screen.
I'd gladly take all of the upgrades that would come with running on better hardware.

Sometimes when talking about ZombiU and how it would so easily work without the gamepad, people fail to mention the Aliens style motion tracker with the beeping, having that onscreen would take away a lot from the atmosphere. Touchscreen is also great for messaging (onscreen keyboard), dragging and dropping inventory, and map navigation, but you never hear this.

I don't think a motion tracker being onscreen detracts from atmosphere. The map however is, as with every U game that features one, so much more handy on the gamepad. If a sequel were to happen they really need to expand on the variety of melee weapons!

Son Of D

Hmm. I wonder if this is ubisoft's infamous "finished game" that they were holding back? Damn, a sequel to this game with online multiplayer and more melee weapons/other gameplay improvements would be sooooooooooo good

Must be the finished Wii U game that Ubisoft is keeping hostage until sales pick up.

I thought Ubisoft said that it was a family friendly game they were holding back? It could simply be something like a new Rabbids game or a new family friendly IP all together.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's listed as Wii U though. So either you believe the listing to be false, meaning it's a mistake and the game isn't getting made for any platform; or you think the listing is true, then why believe the scarse information except for the platform? I mean they list the game, they specifically mention the publisher as NOT Ubisoft.

My point is, either they're just randomly filling out shit and the listing itself shouldn't be believed, or they know the game is actually coming and filled out the little information they had.

in fact, I said that the most possible options are 1) and 2.2)

DrWong

ZombiU2_NamcoBandaiGames.png

https://twitter.com/DENISLaurent/status/537253481464496129

The guy asked: "Something to announce?"
Answer: "We can announce that Amazon was wrong"

The thing is they didn't specify if Amazon was wrong about the game being a real thing, about the publisher, the release date, the title...

DrWong

Hopefully they just mean Amazon was wrong about Namco developing it...
please

You know guys, let me add fuel to the rumour machine: the Amazon page said the game is published by Namco Bandai Games.

It's Bandai Namco Games. So yes, they were wrong... ;]

What if it's a ploy to see if there's any interest.
Let me add another comment to this thread so I can show my interest.

Ubi plz.
(Or Namco or Nintendo)

jimi_dini

The guy asked: "Something to announce?"
Answer: "We can announce that Amazon was wrong"

The thing is they didn't specify if Amazon was wrong about the game being a real thing, about the publisher, the release date, the title...

17th october 2015 is a saturday. So of course amazon was wrong
it's released 2 days earlier

Ah I've got it, wrong price

That too. It's Namco we are talking about here.

As if an inventory screen is the most important aspect of the game. Give me an item wheel and I'm fine, I don't need to tap on item icons on a seperate screen.
I'd gladly take all of the upgrades that would come with running on better hardware.

I don't think a motion tracker being onscreen detracts from atmosphere. The map however is, as with every U game that features one, so much more handy on the gamepad. If a sequel were to happen they really need to expand on the variety of melee weapons!

I wouldn't want to make that trade-off. Zombi-U is unique to me because of how it's played. The Gamepad is so integral to its design that anything else would feel like a cheap aproximation to me.

A sequel could and should build on that foundation instead of just going the omg pretti grafix route while throwing everything that made the original so fresh and unique overboard. It wouldn't be worth compromisng the games design over.

At that point they could make it a whole new IP.

Steph_E.

I still say ZombiU is still the best game on the Wii U. I have also downloaded the e-shop demo and anybody who comes to my house for the first time, with even the slightest interest in video games has to play it - nobody has escaped alive yet!

i always see complaints about this and every time it surprises me how badly people seem to not comprehend what this game was...

Thanks for not putting the effort in and explaining what you mean. How would this game not have benefitted from additional melee weapons?

roknin

Alright, I need to stop bullshitting and add the original to my collection. Between Gaf's mostly positive impressions and a good friend of mine constantly recommending it, I'm going to have to give it a try lol.

I just keep putting it off because damn there's too much to play. D:

Alright, I need to stop bullshitting and add the original to my collection. Between Gaf's mostly positive impressions and a good friend of mine constantly recommending it, I'm going to have to give it a try lol.

I just keep putting it off because damn there's too much to play. D:
ZombiU is the kind of game Nintendo desperately needs more of in their portfolio. It's dripping with atmosphere and has a unique feeling about it that resembles a Nintendo-made game. Maybe it's the fact that it was created by the Rabbids Go Home dev, which was an awesome game, but ZombiU is definitely of the higher pedigree of third party games on the system.

Cyd0nia

Banned
Hopefully the denial is a fending off tactic or something about the listing itself was wrong... if it's not coming at all, that's a real shame.

I was just thinking about what would possibly be another cool game mechanic.

You know the way you can join someone's game in Watch_Dogs and hack them etc?

What if you could join a game when you're killed, as a zombie! Or what if you the player could put out a beacon, an SOS, for assistance when you're trapped and low on ammo? It could be up to players in their own game whether they leave their location and come and assist you. Of course, the game would need to find a way to separate you afterwards without seeming janky, but I feel like that would be awesome!

SuomiDude

I'd definately buy ZombiU 2. I really liked ZombiU although I'm not even a bif fan of horror games. But I like surviving games and zombies in general so ZombiU was a perfect match.

Bydobob

Chalk me up as another who would love to see a sequel. It's a pretty elaborate mistake if it is one. The specifics of the date and publisher, plus the fact the artwork looks different to any of the promo stuff from the first game. As someone said it might also be a ruse to gauge interest. The devs have read previous Zombi U threads here, I've no doubt they're watching this one with interest.

Top Bottom