• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why no Wii U love for Black Friday and Cyber Monday?

There are little to no deals for the Wii U console this upcoming Black Friday or Cyber Monday.
I have seen various deals for XB1 and PS4 but only a few for the Wii U and all of them seem terrible.
It doesn't surprise me that the two most popular consoles have the most deals, but this being a holiday where children are expected to receive presents, you'd think the Wii U was in high demand by kids... Right?...

Plus, I want a Wii U.

Amir0x

Banned
There's a 4 game deal for 270 I believe. I think it's Best Buy.

I wish it was $270.

It's actually for $359 you get

SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD Wii U Bundle (comes with Nintendoland)
+ Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze
+ Super Smash Bros. U

That's basically one free game for the price

bestbuywhyl5yp8.png

entremet

I wish it was $270.

For $359 you get

+ Super Smash Bros. U

Yeah. I edited it.

I confused that with the eBay deal. 270 for Nintendoland and 3DWorld.

Seik

Banned
I wish it was $270.

+ Super Smash Bros. U

At least there's enough to be busy for a loooong time with this bundle. :p

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I wish it was $270.

+ Super Smash Bros. U

That's a solid bundle. Last year I nabbed the console and around 5 games for $450-ish(NSMB bundle and various Buy x get x free deals from BB).

Schryver

How about some PS3 love? If Amazon doesn't have a cheap one there's no real hope. I would much rather grab a new PS3 than a used one.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah. I edited it.

I confused that with the eBay deal. 270 for Nintendoland and 3DWorld.

i've been looking for a decent Wii U deal since mine broke. I can only play games in little spurts right now. but there's really just nuffin' :(

And you're wrong about the ebay deal still. It's actually for $260 :D

Then on Cyber Monday, ebay has a deal you get a 8GB Skylanders Wii U with Smash Bros. for $250.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Ebay has two black friday bundles

Wii U 32GB Black Deluxe Set w/ Super Mario 3D World & Nintendo Land - $259.99
Wii U 8GB Skylander Console w/ Super Smash Bros Wii U - $249.99

Toki767

Cyber Monday eBay deal is the one to get. Skylanders Wii U bundle + Smash for $250.

Weird thing is that they show a picture of the Super Mario 3D World bundle.

Hazu

Because Smash just came out

Many games just came out on PS4/One too...

Nintendo is making a HUGE mistake by not having a price cut right now. There are so many undecided people that plan on buying a single console. Nintendo needs to go after these people.

There are so many good PS4/One deals, I just don't know who's gonna buy a Wii U at this point, since most Smash/Mario Kart fans already have the console...

Amory

Nintendo doesn't have to offer a good deal the Wii U is an amazing value at $300 and haven't you heard you can get a perfectly good refurbished unit for $200 so do that if you can't afford a new system.

Felspawn

so i picked up the Wii U bundle with Luigi U and Mario U at best buy for $299 (the normal price) for me the wife and my Two boys for Christmas. had to order it online as it wasnt in store. Is there some reason there is a run on that bundle? everywhere else i look for it, its like $350+ Last i checked it wasnt a special edition Wii U, any particular explanation for the price?

geordiemp

America doesn't want Nintendo to succeed.

I donr get it, Nintendo sells its stuff to retailers who then resell it.

If Nintendo don't offer a price reduction to retailers in USA, then its not the retailers fault ?

Surely most of the black Friday deals are publishers offering retailers better deals ?

Hindl

Many games just came out on PS4/One too...
I agree with the rest of your post but to say the games that came out on those consoles have the same selling power as smash isn't really valid. MCC could've (and probably was) a competitor but it hasn't had the smoothest launch. And nothing on ps4 matches smash. (Well gta 5 but multiplat and coming to pc too and is a rerelease)

But even a $300 smash+adapter+controller bundle would've been great

I agree with the rest of your post but to say the games that came out on those consoles have the same selling power as smash isn't really valid. MCC could've (and probably was) a competitor but it hasn't had the smoothest launch. And nothing on ps4 matches smash. (Well gta 5 but multiplat and coming to pc too and is a rerelease)

But even a $300 smash+adapter+controller bundle would've been great

Multiplatform doesn't matter. Multiplat games sell consoles.

CapHarlock

Neo Member
Isn't this more of Nintendo's problem and not the retailers?

To get a black Friday like deal you have to state I will order X amount of game systems if you sell it to me for X amount. Basically retailers are saying they don't expect a large number of customers to be looking for Wii U, so they are not wanting to order a bulk number of systems to get a good deal.

Noticed this as well. Just bought a refurbished console directly from Nintendo and was hoping for some deals on games.

Edit: It seems like there are OK bundles, but games are going for full price.

i want to cop a Wii U just for DK Tropical Freeze but goddamn Nintendo work with me..
i just got an Xbox One for $260 tax included with multiple games, why is the Wii U still so pricey? im sorry but the Wii U is worth $175 tops. not biting till i find a deal for that price.

olimpia84

The Gamestop BF ad cracks me up with them showing Wii U with a price tag of... 59.99!
Seriously, at least drop the price of the game a dollar or two!

i want to cop a Wii U just for DK Tropical Freeze but goddamn Nintendo work with me..
i just got an Xbox One for $260 tax included with multiple games, why is the Wii U still so pricey? im sorry but the Wii U is worth $175 tops. not biting till i find a deal for that price.

So did you come up with that conclusion?

sojour

so i picked up the Wii U bundle with Luigi U and Mario U at best buy for $299 (the normal price) for me the wife and my Two boys for Christmas. had to order it online as it wasnt in store. Is there some reason there is a run on that bundle? everywhere else i look for it, its like $350+ Last i checked it wasnt a special edition Wii U, any particular explanation for the price?

I think it's because that bundle is in the process of being discontinued. The MK8 bundle (Walmart exclusive) and the 3D World bundle are the current flagship bundles for the WiiU.

Schnozberry

Where did you get that deal for an Xbox One?

So did you come up with that conclusion?

pulled that $175.00 number outta my ass, but there's no way in hell im paying over $200 for a Wii U when i got an Xbox One for $260, not going to happen. Wii U to me is worth $175 tops, its an anemic console with good first party and no third party, and comes with that asinine controller. $175 is my price.

Where did you get that deal for an Xbox One?

traded in my xbox360 for the Microsoft Store $100 promo/coupon + $50 off Assassins Creed Unity $350 bundle . so $350-$100 = $250 + tax = $260 . no way a Wii U should be as much as an Xbox One, at all.

Jarmel

Banned
There aren't any good deals right now and going forward. The best ones, for both the system and games, already passed.

Cmagus

Somehow they threw in an extra older game and it got more expensive. A $279.99 smash bundle would have been awesome.

wii u is outdated tech. considering xbone is 299-329 at black friday wii u should be about 199-229 by comparison. It's absurd that the price is still 299 for the most part. Wii u has some games i'd like to play but it's a secondary console and isn't much more powerful than a ps3 I can't justify spending so much on it. Nintendo is making this holiday an easy choice to not get a Wii u with their lack of competitive pricing.

Nintendo's strategy is to weather the commercial failure of the Wii U with as little losses as possible and thus are highly conservative in their pricing strategies. [Gamecube for instance was maybe $149 at the same point in its life?] Therefore Nintendo is also highly conservative with their sales and instead just offered standard holiday pack in bundles since I think September?

I wish it was $270.

+ Super Smash Bros. U

This is a really solid deal. Excellent games that will keep you busy for quite a while.

Top Bottom