• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Dec/Jan: GET

awp69

That's no better than just going into the community tab and just looking what threads are there though, it won't make the threads any more visible to casual readers who skim thread titles in the main boards.

Guess the idea was to make people reading the main boards more aware of the fact that there are threads dedicated to specific gaming platforms that aren't in the main Gaming forum. So maybe they would take a look at the community threads via the sticky.

It may seem stupid but if we're stuck in Community, anything that can help get the word out is better than nothing.

colinp

Banned
Or maybe we could have no iOS threads at all if it's going to be a big problem for people... Making it weekly changes nothing, except for giving the OP 4x more work.

Look, we're in community with all the other similar threads (for the most part, I imagine they'll all get here sooner or later if some are missed currently). Just make the best of it.

Wait, so you're threatening to close the thread if we keep complaining? Nice. I think you're right, we shouldn't have iOS threads any more. Let's ban iOS from GAF!!!

And I appreciate that you recognize that there are threads in gaming that don't even follow the rules that you are enforcing. Just makes the whole thing a bit more absurd than it already is, but I imagine it'll sort itself out eventually and I'll just make the best of it in the meantime.

Also, my two games are KR Origins and PAD.

Edit: Close the thread! No more iOS coverage on GAF!

Voidance

Or maybe we could have no iOS threads at all if it's going to be a big problem for people... Making it weekly changes nothing, except for giving the OP 4x more work.

Look, we're in community with all the other similar threads (for the most part, I imagine they'll all get here sooner or later if some are missed currently). Just make the best of it.
While I'm not a fan of the move due to the impact on traffic and visibility, I imagine it will be easier to explain the situation if you apply it to all threads fitting the new vision, not just most threads with a suggestion that the current outliers will follow suit at some point.

Anywho, the two games I've been playing over the past two weeks are Kingdom Rush: Origins and Monument Valley. It's a lovely contrast.

awp69

Oh and for my two games: Monument Valley and Proun+. Hope Proun+ gets some more love. It's truly fantastic. If you liked Unpossible or just challenging racers, you can't go wrong with it. Tons of content and variety. I like it better than Unpossible (which this evidently existed prior to anyway). May end up on my GoTY list.

Minsc

Gold Member
Wait, so you're threatening to close the thread if we keep complaining? Nice. I think you're right, we shouldn't have iOS threads any more. Let's ban iOS from GAF!!!

And I appreciate that you recognize that there are threads in gaming that don't even follow the rules that you are enforcing. Just makes the whole thing a bit more absurd than it already is, but I imagine it'll sort itself out eventually and I'll just make the best of it in the meantime.

Also, my two games are KR Origins and PAD.

Edit: Close the thread! No more iOS coverage on GAF!

No, I was perhaps a bit aggressive in pointing out that one of the possible outcomes could be losing the thread(s) entirely. I understand people are upset about the move to Community (I was too, when it happened).

iOS coverage belongs in separate threads in gaming about what the iOS topic is about, that is the bottom line - not a mega-thread. That is how the Gaming forum is supposed to function, and that was established quite a while ago. iOS is no different than any other platform, game coverage should be given its own thread for each game that deems interest in covering.

Like I sad before, if there are threads that didn't get moved, they were simply missed and will be addressed in the near future. It is important to be consistent as you point out.

I was waiting for Shadowrun Returns to drop to .99 but, man, those reviews are troubling. Seems like it's pretty buggy, yet they haven't updated it since May.

I want to grab the new Kingdom Rush, but I totally despise the standard/HD separate version model for iPhone/iPad versions. You didn't budget for it in the first one. Fine. But you've made that back and have had 2 chances now to keep Universal in mind during development.

I can only assume it's a cash grab at this point. Separate apps for separate iDevices is a relic that needs to be buried deep and stay that way.

My 2 games have been Monument Valley (brilliant) and the Star Wars Kingdom Rush clone (eh, functional but free.)

Anilones

I was waiting for Shadowrun Returns to drop to .99 but, man, those reviews are troubling. Seems like it's pretty buggy, yet they haven't updated it since May.

I've been playing it on and off over the past few weeks on my original-gen iPad Mini. It does crash occasionally (understandable for such a dated machine), but no more than would make me complain about it.

What device do you have?

I've been playing it on and off over the past few weeks on my original-gen iPad Mini. It does crash occasionally (understandable for such a dated machine), but no more than would make me complain about it.

What device do you have?

i have a first-gen ipad 3, a beautiful but slow machine

PFD

tumblr_mmogy0OM8I1sqdb5ho1_500.png

Sorry I had to :p

Dalek

"Love You to Bits is the spiritual successor to TIny Thief, and it's headed to iOS and Android next year"
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/Love+You+to+Bits/news.asp?c=62779

Yes! Fricking yes! So looking forward to this and the trailer is amazing.

Release Date: 2015 (2nd term)

holy shit that looks incredible!

It's being developed by ex-members of Tiny Thief dev 5ants, and it's set in space

Tiny Thief is one of my favorite games of any platform ever.

chris121580

2 games I'm playing are 80 Days and The Banner Saga.

For the people complaining about the thread being in community, do what I do and subscribe to it every month. Easy to find by going to your subscriptions. It's what I did after the change was made and the link to the new monthly thread is always the in the last post of the previous month thread. It will make it much easier for you

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Shadowrun Dragonfall is out December 4th for iOS, it's an overall better campaign release than Returns, I'd just wait for that. Though Returns for $0.99 bubblegum money is a bargain.

okno

To those of you saying you can't ever find the page in community, because you don't subscribe to threads: stop being lazy. It's something you do once a month and takes all of 15 seconds. The fact that the subscribe tab is at the top of the page makes it that much easier.

Two games I've been playing recently have been Sleep Attack and The Banner Saga

To those of you saying you can't ever find the page in community, because you don't subscribe to threads: stop being lazy. It's something you do once a month and takes all of 15 seconds. The fact that the subscribe tab is at the top of the page makes it that much easier.
I rarely venture out into GAF proper. Mainly sticking to my Subscribed threads and the insanity that is Off Topic.

awp69

I think the point isn't about whether or not current regulars of the thread can find it, it's about not getting new people to join in the discussion. Buried in Community gives the thread much lower visability and stiffles growth.

I don't think anyone is worried about US not finding it. Otherwise we wouldn't even be here venting. We just want more people to join because the more people that discuss games the more we can all benefit from other opinions and finding out about games we may not have otherwise.

okno

I think the point isn't about whether or not current regulars of the thread can find it, it's about not getting new people to join in the discussion. Buried in Community gives the thread much lower visability and stiffles growth.

I don't think anyone is worried about US not finding it. Otherwise we wouldn't even be here venting. We just want more people to join because the more people that discuss games the more we can all benefit from other opinions and finding out about games we may not have otherwise.

I understand that part, and I agree with that. I'm calling out the folks who've come forward saying they don't subscribe to threads, because they don't feel like un/subscribing to threads due to it being time consuming.

Edit: the fact that the last post in every monthly thread is a direct link to the new thread gives them even less of an excuse.

wihio

Well I guess the alternative, which the powers that be seem to prefer, is that we as a community begin "flooding" the gaming section with individual threads for all the releases and discussions related to iOS. We all know this will inevitably end in a lot more mod work banning, removing posts, moving threads, etc than the way it was originally.

Someone design a template, and let's get to making threads! I suppose if we try hard enough, we could get at least a few threads on the front page at any given time :p

Whatever, I am done thinking about this. I have subscribed since I found the thread over a year ago, we have good solid members here already, and I am satisfied with the thread content-wise. I am grateful for Neogaf despite my differences in opinion regarding the way it is organized and run!

Minsc

Gold Member

The best way to advertise the thread I believe is to gently mention/link it in relevant iOS threads in Gaming. This doesn't mean find every iOS thread in Gaming and do a fly-by link to this thread (this will result in your being banned probably), but when browsing Gaming and reading iOS threads there, if you decide to make a comment or answer a question in the thread, you could occasionally mention/link to the thread here. As long as you're genuinely posting in the thread, and not just making noise, and it's not a frequent behavior (like every post in the thread you aren't linking to this thread, or mentioning it after it was just mentioned by another person), people will most likely find it useful or at worst easy to ignore.

Minsc

Gold Member
Well I guess the alternative, which the powers that be seem to prefer, is that we as a community begin "flooding" the gaming section with individual threads for all the releases and discussions related to iOS. We all know this will inevitably end in a lot more mod work banning, removing posts, moving threads, etc than the way it was originally.

Someone design a template, and let's get to making threads! I suppose if we try hard enough, we could get at least a few threads on the front page at any given time :p

Whatever, I am done thinking about this. I have subscribed since I found the thread over a year ago, we have good solid members here already, and I am satisfied with the thread content-wise. I am grateful for Neogaf despite my differences in opinion regarding the way it is organized and run!

It will result in a better forum though, once mods weed through all the posters who don't contribute to the threads in an appropriate manner.

And keep in mind making threads about games you have no interest in discussing or playing, for the sake of posting a thread, is a behavior that could get you juniored and unable to make threads. Flooding the board is something mods catch on to very quick, and if you're creating 20 threads a day and never really participating in them, or making threads with very little content, that could backfire.

awp69

I just noticed I'be been bumped to "Member"! No more junior nice guy ;)

Ah, don't worry, I'll still behave...

PFD

awp69

Congrats, brother! What have you been playing recently?

Thanks! A little of everything: Banner Saga, Monument Valley, Proun+, Year Walk, Sleep Attack TD, Xcom: Enemy Within, Beat Sneak Bandit, VainGlory and the alpha of Exiles (on Android, which I mention because you all should be keep it on your iOS radar).

wihio

It will result in a better forum though, once mods weed through all the posters who don't contribute to the threads in an appropriate manner.

And keep in mind making threads about games you have no interest in discussing or playing, for the sake of posting a thread, is a behavior that could get you juniored and unable to make threads. Flooding the board is something mods catch on to very quick, and if you're creating 20 threads a day and never really participating in them, or making threads with very little content, that could backfire.

I hear you, my comments about posting lots of threads were tongue-in-cheek. As I said, I am far happier finding all this info here in one thread rather than spread out amongst many individual threads. Thanks for remaining a part of this discussion!

Did anyone else see a pop up message in app that said Bitcoin Billionaire was to receive a major update soon? I have ground out every last drop of worth from that. I would love to see how much revenue from ads they made off of me for "playing" as long as I did.

awp69

What's the consensus on Republique? I enjoyed the first episode, was wondering how the others have been.

I'd like to know myself.Played a little of the second episode but deleted it to make room for other stuff. One thing that's annoying about it is having to have previous episodes downloaded. I think with the three episodes out now, it's close to 4 GB. That's one reason I haven't gotten back to it -- space.

I'd like to know myself.Played a little of the second episode but deleted it to make room for other stuff. One thing that's annoying about it is having to have previous episodes downloaded. I think with the three episodes out now, it's close to 4 GB. That's one reason I haven't gotten back to it -- space.

I finished episode 2 back when it came out, and back then there was already almost no discussion of it anywhere. I almost completely missed the release of episode 3, and I have no room to download it at the moment.

My impression was that episode 2 felt very rushed. The story seemed to be stalling with no significant progression, barely any new stealth mechanics were introduced (enemies now have multi-room patrol routes, but that's about it), and the puzzles were trivial.

The final puzzle of episode 2 was shoehorned in from another game entirely: the creator of Blueprint 3D was apparently invited by Camouflaj to make a custom "Blueprint" puzzle for this game. It doesn't fit at all, and the developer commentary reveals an entirely different version of the final puzzle that seems to have been cut.

My recents are Swords & Poker Adventures and Kingdom Rush.

Swords & Poker is still my daily jam, I'm nearing the third gate. Having friends to pass the extra daily bonuses back and forth with helps and I try not to progress too much at once. I thought about dropping a few bucks to get a premium weapon or two but the dollars to gems price is horrible and new weapons pop up every six levels, so nuts to that. Maybe at end-game or maybe if they do an IAP sale for Christmas.

Kingdom Rush is fun but I comically stink at tower defense games and I'm already struggling on like the fifth or sixth level. I can at least see why this gets so much acclaim, it's well made, look great and has engaging mechanics. Maybe one day I will not be an expert at doing poorly at these things. Probably not though.

I still collect daily bonus from Terra Battle so I can have some extra stuff to work with when I get into it again.

I don't have a solid pick for my next game, but hopefully it'll be The Worlds Ends With You thanks to a sale.

heringer

I'm playing Kingdom Rush Origins and Oddworld Stranger's Wrath. Both great.

Can't wait for Game of Thrones tomorrow, but I dread the waiting for next episodes. Ugh.

My games:
80 Days(still looking for that mechanical camel ride, a trip to Belgrade, riding that giant bipedal mech, solve that effing murder on the Pacific ocean, journey to the center of the planet, get that Australian girl's article published...Auuuuuuuugh!)

I played the Red level for Monument Valley. Short but tasty. As much as I loved it, I'm done with MV for a while.

Honestly I need a 2nd game. I'm getting sick of 80 Days too, at least finishing the journey after failing to accomplish a goal is pissing me off. Restarting makes me watch an extensive opening sequence again which feels less convenient that just finishing.

Recommend me something! -Oh wait just got Framed- I heard its short so yeah, still...recommend me something!

I started playing Out There again.

This reminded me of FTL. Then i started getting sad because the developers are have no interest in making the iPAD version of FTL playable for iphone 6 plus users.

As a guy that let his iPad mini go in favor of an iPhone 6 Plus, FTL is the ONLY thing that i miss. Out There is okay, though...

Matt Frost

I have been in a hospital for a week now, finally having time to play games for a chance. I practically played everything... A lot... And here are new thoughts on old games and new ones alike:

Time Tangle: at first, I really liked it, but after reaching the insane difficulty I find the game extremely repetitive, thus making it boring. Always the same missions on the same poace doing the same thing. Meh. The previous game from the dev, Indiana Stone is a classic and the superior product. Time Tangle looks nice but its the same time after time.

Kingdom Rush Origins: the best game in the series, adding a ton of tweaks to the gameplay but its also really easy, the IAP hero is not needed and the powerups are OP. Why they made it more casual this time around?

Sleep Attack TD: this game is a serious challenge, only for experts. Earning coins is slow and you have to rely on advanced tower placement and some wits on how to maneuver the rotating battlefield to your advantage. The powerups are expensive but you earn a lot of cash ingame. I had to struggle to get at least a star on each level.

FRAMED: Even after I saw the credits I kept on going and going. Hideo Kojima was onto something, maybe not THE goty but its on the list. Engaging and original from start to the end.

Space Age: a brilliant mix of many genres into a game I cant get enought of. We definitely need more games like this on the appstore. Please.

Tiltagon: the tilting version of Super Hexagon. Is original and addictive with style all over (releasing 2015).

Crossy Road: I suck at it but I log in every 6 hours to collect them all (the only app I let notifications, apart from WhatsApp of course).

Swing Tale: FDG is one of the best publishers around and they jnow their IAP well. Its a physics puzzler that is allright but what I like is the hints IAP: instead of ripping the player off like many other publishers or developers, they just ask 4€ for unlimited hints. A fair deal. Not endleslly buying tips like so many other games (disclaimer: never bought any on any game but I like the fairness presented here).

Matt Frost

Oh and for my two games: Monument Valley and Proun+. Hope Proun+ gets some more love. It's truly fantastic. If you liked Unpossible or just challenging racers, you can't go wrong with it. Tons of content and variety. I like it better than Unpossible (which this evidently existed prior to anyway). May end up on my GoTY list.

Been looking at Proun+ for a while and was about to ask about it... I will like it even if I didnt like Unpossible?

Kingdom Rush Origins: the best game in the series, adding a ton of tweaks to the gameplay but its also really easy, the IAP hero is not needed and the powerups are OP. Why they made it more casual this time around?

I've heard a lot of praise for origins as the best in the series.

I really can't see it. Granted it is 95% the same as the other games... and they were good, so you can't go too far wrong.

But I found it pretty uninspired, especially in terms of enemy design. Sure the interactive level bits were nice, but everything else was just so by the numbers. Maybe as you said it was the lack of difficulty with a couple of really OP towers this time.

I thought the last effort was a little more balanced and creative.

I understand people are upset about the move to Community (I was too, when it happened).

Ironically I now see "Community" as NeoGAF, so I've got used to the move. I'm not really sure what Gaming is supposed to be now.

Top Bottom