• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great Gaming Epilogues (SPOILERS, OBVIOUSLY)

tumblr_n7keyjxuid1sdqz4oyr.gif

tumblr_mojst4lnNY1qgqrobo1_400.gif

The longest and the Best

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I loved Bioshock Infinite's brief epilogue, suggested so much.

I would say Mile High Club but I am still traumatised from my attempts to beat it on Veteran, It took me a lot longer than I am willing to admit.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Folks, the thread title explicitly talks about epilogues. The expectation that you wouldn't read anything about game endings is a bit much, don't you think?

I can always put a (SPOILERS!) in the title but that seems a little on the nose. Come on.

Dragon's Dogma.

You kill the dragon that was terrorizing the land, and everything, I mean everything gets worse. The story goes from being serviceable to being amazing. The previously amicable Duke of Gransys wants you dead. Half of the main city collapses into a never-ending pit full of trials that you have to descend and face. The air is filled with ashy nastiness and the monsters plaguing the land become even more demonic and powerful. Proper dragons (previously, you only fought drakes) start to show up all over the place. And you end up having to kill yourself like... twice.

That's a game that needs a sequel.

I've been teetering between picking up a cheap copy of DD:Dark Arisen because of the glowing praise the game(s) get on GAF.

This post just sold me on it.

pje122

I've been teetering between picking up a cheap copy of DD:Dark Arisen because of the glowing praise the game(s) get on GAF.

This post just sold me on it.
What's wrong with you, get on that right now!
DD:DA is one of the very best of the generation, hands-down.

Reach and Hitman : Blood Money are perfect video game endings. They would work very very well as a movie or show ending, but with you in control it takes it even farther. Reach was very emotional, and Hitman was as well, until it becomes
badass

Mikey Jr.

Folks, the thread title explicitly talks about epilogues. The expectation that you wouldn't read anything about game endings is a bit much, don't you think?

I can always put a (SPOILERS!) in the title but that seems a little on the nose. Come on.

Then the thread would be worthless for the vast majority of people because you would have to have played every single game in existence with an epilogue to not be spoiled.

Like, I can straight up ruin Dragon Age Inquisition right now. But I won't, because I think thats a dickish move. Instead, I'll take 2 seconds and just press the little spoiler button at the top.

DA:I

Can't believe Solas was a bad guy the whole time. At least I think he was....Makes replaying the game really more enjoyable.

Thats my opinion anyways. Not venturing back into this thread regardless because if thats the rule, then I really have no interest in walking on eggshells viewing this thread.

lordmrw

Lunar Eternal Blue has the best epilogue in my opinion. Its almost like a mini sequel within the game as it is a few hours of extra content that shows you what each of your party members has been up to and offers a satisfying conclusion to the story.

Narroo

Demon's Souls had a sad, evocative dénouement that wrapped up the tale of the foolish king perfectly. He really wanted the best for his kingdom, but was too blind to see the consequences of his actions.

God I hate when people call this the final boss and complain about it being anti-climactic

Didn't he say he wanted to kill everyone?

Dragon's Dogma.

You kill the dragon that was terrorizing the land, and everything, I mean everything gets worse. The story goes from being serviceable to being amazing. The previously amicable Duke of Gransys wants you dead. Half of the main city collapses into a never-ending pit full of trials that you have to descend and face. The air is filled with ashy nastiness and the monsters plaguing the land become even more demonic and powerful. Proper dragons (previously, you only fought drakes) start to show up all over the place. And you end up having to kill yourself like... twice.

That's a game that needs a sequel.
And that's just one ending. I swear this was the best ending in 2012, it accomplished what ac3 and me3 tried and failed to do. Oh and the dragon isn't really evil as he's trying test you/prepare you.

The story was too damn good in the vanilla version, dark arisen sucked ass in comparison.

Didn't he say he wanted to kill everyone?

He said that no one wanted to go on. Essentially that humanity didn't want to survive and that with all the crap we do to each other (As you see in the blighted area where Astrea lives) means we deserve to die at the hands of the old one.

But like most things in the souls games, it's up to your interpretation whether or not he's right.

batbeg

WTF apparently I need to play Dragons Dogma. That sounds just incredible.

And Earthbound was the first game I thought of for sure. So much to explore and dialogue I felt compelled to find.

Dragon Age Inquisition

Solas being the Dread Wolf was even more shocking than Flemeth being Mythal. I can't wait for DLC or the next game.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
If unplayable epilogues count, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "500 Years Later" yet. That pan up to a ruined Midgar gradually being reclaimed by the planet... chills.

Policenauts with its massive twist epilogue was also fabulous.

If we're talking playable, the answer is of course Lunar: Eternal Blue and the Mothers.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Infinite had an epilogue? I thought it ended for good with the
baptism.

It did, after the credits.
Booker wakes up in his office and you can briefly hear Anna crying in the next room. It suggests that the timeline has been reset and that they ended up together after all, at least that's what I think.

If unplayable epilogues count, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "500 Years Later" yet. That pan up to a ruined Midgar gradually being reclaimed by the planet... chills.

Too ambiguous and random. It's basically a pointless "epilogue" unlike most others in this topic.

ZimbAdam

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. After completing the main story where you ostensibly destroy the world the missions just keep on coming, you deal with corruption within the judges and recruit a bunch more unique characters. Whilst it is a bit jarring, considering the way the main story ends, I thought it was really cool, perhaps implying that Ivalice survived in some form.

Khayam

Banned
BOO THIS MAN.

Are we talking
Shepard emerges from rubble
or are we talking
Stargazer
?

None of the above. I meant the
Control
ending, the only one that brings a perfect ending on a tone close to the rest of the trilogy.

cabelhigh

Neo Member
It did, after the credits.
Booker wakes up in his office and you can briefly hear Anna crying in the next room. It suggests that the timeline has been reset and that they ended up together after all, at least that's what I think.

Oh right! Completely forgot about that. That makes the ending a little more bittersweet than just straight-up depressing.

Thores

Earthbound

The best of all time, after you defeat the final boss you're free to go around talking to everyone in the whole world, the credits roll when you get home and talk with your mom.

Mother 3 is also amazing,
All the characters say goodbye to you, the player, even Lucas who was silent the whole game.

Came in here to post these, happy to see them on the first page! You're good people, MM.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Top Bottom