• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(IGN) PS3 Dev Kit Pictures (Final ones??)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/705/705349p1.html

PS3 Dev Unit Pics
The headline says it all. See what developers are using today to build tomorrow's games.
by Matt Casamassina
May 5, 2006 - With the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2006 set to kick off next week, Sony has started to ship out PlayStation 3 development units to more and more software houses. The PS3 kits are big, bulky and extremely loud, according to studio sources.

An American spy was kind enough to hook us up with a couple of photos showing off the PS3 development kits as they've never been seen publicly before. As readers can ascertain in the pics we've provided, these babies sport a design that would make even Betamax players envious. Also, note all of the USB and dip-switches on the units.

ps3-dev-unit-pics-20060505024758052.jpg

ps3-dev-unit-pics-20060505024749068.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
davepoobond said:
is the dual shock 2 supposed to work through usb?

Probably, although I don't see a wire (it may well be there though).

They look very similar, if not the same, as the kits at GDC. Although possibly smaller given the dualshock point of reference...? Not sure.

Actually it looks slightly bigger.

I honestly expect the PS3 to be slightly larger than the PS2, but smaller than the original Xbox.

Scytale

Banned
Its much smaller.

I'd like to see if the final case for the retail system stays the same as what we have been shown. I want something stackable.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Shouldn't the PS3 have mulitple Pro duos slots for more than one person can bring a saved profile to a particular game?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
IMO, it looks slightly bigger than the PLAYSTATION 3 hardware mockups.....I would say its less than twice as big....

joshschw

it takes almost exactly 2 dual shock's lengthwise to cover an Xbox lengthwise. this looks like it needs about 3. so it's pretty darn big still.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Well, that pretty much confirms the PS3 size to be about what sony expected

Scytale

Banned
Kleegamefan said:
IMO, it looks slightly bigger than the PLAYSTATION 3 harware mockups.....I would say its less than twice as big....

At least its much smaller that the other Dev kit shots we've seen.

Striek

Wow, compared to PS2 and PSP devkits, this aint too big - relatively.

Anyway, I don't think this is final, they don't have a BRD. But I doubt the kits will get any smaller (why should they?).

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Cold-Steel said:
Actually it looks slightly bigger.

I honestly expect the PS3 to be slightly larger than the PS2, but smaller than the original Xbox.

I agree totally.....

Striek said:
Wow, compared to PS2 and PSP devkits, this aint too big - relatively.

Anyway, I don't think this is final, they don't have a BRD. But I doubt the kits will get any smaller (why should they?).

That is actually a great point.....I think a PS2 TOOL is quite a bit bigger than this guy, although it looks to be missing some features of a final PS3(BD drive, HDMI port, mem. card slots), unlike TOOL

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
mckmas8808 said:
Shouldn't the PS3 have mulitple Pro duos slots for more than one person can bring a saved profile to a particular game?

If you have a HDD (standard?) it'd be a moot point. Or a PSP, probably (I imagine your PS3 could access any data on a local PSP via wifi).

mr_nothin

Banned
I was actually just about to post this 10 mins ago but I wasent really sure if pictures of a dev kit was actually "NEWS".

It reminds me of betamax
I kid i KID! :lol

Vark

BlueTsunami said:
Wooooooo!!!

Looks to be about the size of the PS3 shell Sony has been showing.

:lol :lol

no.

Those are the same kits they've hauled out at trade shows for the most part. What's in the picture is about 1/3rd of the unit.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
CassidyIzABeast said:
anyone else notice the slect HDD or Blu Ray drive thing?

I also noticed what appears to be 8 inputs

Sean said:
Here's a shot from GDC, it looks the exact same so I don't think these are new kits.

PS3Dev3.jpg

More (GDC)

Good find. I remember posting shots of the slimmer dev kit back during GDC, but I guess the lighting of this shot (looks almost brownish here and was grey in the GDC shot) and the elongated view of the shot from GDC made me think they were different.

kenta

Has no PEINS
I can't read a lot of the text, but it definitely says "Drive Select" with HDD and BD being options, so I'm assuming the Blu-ray drive is on the back or something. Maybe it'll ship later as an external attachment or something.

But what are the rest of the slots? And why are "industry insiderzz" pictures always so freaking blurry

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
gofreak said:
If you have a HDD (standard?) it'd be a moot point. Or a PSP, probably (I imagine your PS3 could access any data on a local PSP via wifi).

So if my buddy has a GT5 car on his Pro Duo how would he get to play with his car on my PS3?

Vark said:

no.

Those are the same kits they've hauled out at trade shows for the most part. What's in the picture is about 1/3rd of the unit.

The first I heard of anyone displaying this kit was back at GDC. I think the BIG MOFO's were what folks had until Feb/March of this year. They were delayed from the expected December shipments, at least in any real quantity although first party and key devs did get them in back then (limitedly)

Vark said:

no.

I guess this means that when Ken refers to 4D, he is referring to the technology behind the Sony shrink ray that they will use to cram these parts into the PS 3 shell :D

Vark

sonycowboy said:
The first I heard of anyone displaying this kit was back at GDC. I don't think BIG MOFO's were what folks had until Feb/March of this year.

Yea, that's the GDC kit and i'd assume what some E3 stuff will be running on still. I haven't heard of anyone getting new stuff in but then I don't know anyone that Sony likes that much.

The picture is definitely slimming though, the things at GDC weren't that tall but they went back a few feet.

Crisis

Banned
Why would they put a Blu-Ray Drive on the back? That doesn't really make any sense. And it does seem a bit smaller than the PS2 TOOL kit. I thought it looked familiar and that picture from the GDC seems to confirm that.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The Eatable Arab said:
Looking closely, I will assume HDD comes standard as the switch on the back says so.

Every dev kit has one, obviously..not necessarily ever retail unit, though.

Suikoguy said:
I also noticed what appears to be 8 inputs

Are you sure they're not just lights relating to the SPEs or something? What kind of inputs do you think they are?

BTW, that's the front of the dev kit.

Top Bottom