• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(IGN) PS3 Dev Kit Pictures (Final ones??)

Frog

PS3 is old news guys.

43519.jpg

mr_nothin

Banned
Vark said:
Is that a headphone jack to the left of the USB ports? wtf.
I would like headphone jacks!
Some of us actually do have nice 140+ dollar high quality headphones!!

OMG playing MGS2 on PS2 with these sony monitor headphones let me hear how everything was SUPPOSE to sound. When I heard the alert sound, I crapped my pants every time, they made me jump and pause the game. Oh man, and the 1st time i heard it....i almost died. It makes you actually not want to get caught every, so you take extra steps for precaution. I never would have play so uptight w/o those headphones.I only played through the game with the headphones once.
Funny thing is, is that this was like my 30th time playing through the game and the headphones made it like a new experience...my heart raced the whole way though....I didnt have the radar on so that increased my jumpiness.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Don't take dev kit features as an indication of what you'll get in a retail model. There's sound reasoning for a headphone jack on a dev kit, for example, that probably wouldn't translate to a console (i.e. a developer needing to plug headphones in in a work environment where others should not be disturbed etc.)

mr_nothin

Banned
gofreak said:
Don't take dev kit features as an indication of what you'll get in a retail model. There's sound reasoning for a headphone jack on a dev kit, for example, that probably wouldn't translate to a console (i.e. a developer needing to plug headphones in in a work environment where others should not be disturbed etc.)
I know that, im just saying that I would really like that feature in the retail model.

mr_nothin said:
I know that, im just saying that I would really like that feature in the retail model.

Why would you want that? If you want simple stereo heaphones, you could just plug them into your TV or receiver. It's a feature that would be used by <<< 1% of folks, I'd think.

Odysseus

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Why would you want that? If you want simple stereo heaphones, you could just plug them into your TV or receiver. It's a feature that would be used by <<< 1% of folks, I'd think.

And how many people do you think will be dual-outputting 1080p HDMI signals? ;)

yahso said:
LOL, Wireless Dual Shock 3 on an AC unit :lol

i bet that PS3 would be the same as loud as its own devkit :lol mark my words!

WHY? Why so many new junior menbers act like the teamxbox retards? Seriously was there a thread on these forums or something encouraging them to join GAF, because we don't like fanboys like them? It's quite obvious that the biggest problem the last few days is not E3 but some total idiots who recently bacame members.

And just for the record not all junior members are like that.

Odysseus said:
And how many people do you think will be dual-outputting 1080p HDMI signals? ;)

At least 1? :D

Actually, I honestly expected them to drop it by now. Not that it's a huge cost, but it's simply NOT going to be supported by games in a meaningful way.

However, given that the system will be multitasking with OS stuff taking a good part of the system, you could imagine that multimedia, online, or very simple game updates could go to the second screen which might just be a pretty killer app at little to no dev cost.

rubso

Banned
fortified_concept said:
WHY? Why so many new junior menbers act like the teamxbox retards? Seriously was there a thread on these forums or something encouraging them to join GAF, because we don't like fanboys like them? It's quite obvious that the biggest problem the last few days is not E3 but some total idiots who recently bacame members.

And just for the record not all junior members are like that.
sorry concept if i bothered you :) i'm just having fun with you guys

Westonian

Wow! Prototype controllers (per GDC schedules) look remarkably like regular old DS2s. Shocking!

Oh wait. I told you guys that last week.

jett

D-Member
yahso said:
LOL, Wireless Dual Shock 3 on an AC unit :lol

i bet that PS3 would be the same as loud as its own devkit :lol mark my words!

You will not last long here.

mr_nothin

Banned
sonycowboy said:
I dont have simple stereo headphones...i have 5.1 surround sound headphones.
And that 1% would probably be the same ppl that view movies and games at 1080p :)
Right?

sky

BlueTsunami said:
Looks to be about the size of the PS3 shell Sony has been showing.
It's bigger than that, especially in length. But much smaller than the earlier kits. And yeah, it's frickin' LOUD.

Shapingo

SolidSnakex said:
It's not completely final if you go with this

sce1_12.jpg

April "cell" final

June "CELL" final

probably reading too far into a typo but "increase in specs", even though both say final

Argyle

Actually, it's not a headphone jack. Look at the picture again, you can see that it says FOOT SW...

That's right, the return of the foot switch! Those of you who have used PS1/PS2 performance analyzers know what I'm talking about, aww yeah...:)

But aside from the fact that it isn't actually a headphone jack...

ninge said:
the headphone jack is there so you can drown out the noise of the kit... think hoover.

QFT.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Westonian said:
Wow! Prototype controllers (per GDC schedules) look remarkably like regular old DS2s. Shocking!

Oh wait. I told you guys that last week.
We've heard as much for a couple of months now, from mag previews of PS3 games in development like UT2K7.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Argyle and/or Ninge, are you guys working on any next gen games these days??......I think I remember Ninge was taking a little development hiatus after finishing up Ultimate Spiderman.....

So what are you guys up to and will we see it @ E3 :D

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Vark said:
Like louder than 360 loud?
Retail hardware = car engines.
Devkits = jet turbines.

It tends to be like that for all hardware (relatively) - the manufacturers just don't put much priority on noise levels of devkits.
Overall I still say PS2 kits are loudest though, unless I was just so unlucky with getting all the extra noisy ones.

Vark

Fafalada said:
Devkits = jet turbines.

It tends to be like that for all hardware (relatively) - the manufacturers just don't put much priority on noise levels of devkits.
Overall I still say PS2 kits are loudest though, unless I was just so unlucky with getting all the extra noisy ones.

Yea, I meant louder than 360 Dev Kits loud?

Fafalada said:
Devkits = jet turbines.

I never saw the early PS2 kits, but this thing kills the current Tool kits for noise. You really notice it when you switch it off, it's like stepping out of a blizzard.

Still June for final stuff I guess.

Phoenix

Shapingo said:
April "cell" final

June "CELL" final

probably reading too far into a typo but "increase in specs", even though both say final

You're reading WAY too much into it.

Phoenix

gofreak said:
No Oblivion for PS3! It does not yet know the meaty whirr of a PS3 dev kit :(

;)

The question really is do the folks who make NetImmerse/GameBryo (the middleware that runs Oblivion) have a devkit.

I think perhaps there isn't a clear understanding of what middleware does. When you write a game entirely using middleware, you can run everywher that middleware does.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Phoenix said:
The question really is do the folks who make NetImmerse/GameBryo (the middleware that runs Oblivion) have a devkit.

I think they're part of the middleware program.

Phoenix said:
I think perhaps there isn't a clear understanding of what middleware does. When you write a game entirely using middleware, you can run everywher that middleware does.

Yeah, but a developer still needs to get it up and running on a particular machine itself, and compiled for that machine. And the performance profile for middleware may differ on different platforms, such that tweaks may be necessary, the dev may want to patch content etc. also. I doubt they could get a kit a month before launch, for example, and pop a port out just like that ;)

Phoenix

gofreak said:
I think they're part of the middleware program.

They are for certain. That was a more rhetorical question.

Yeah, but a developer still needs to get it up and running on a particular machine itself, and compiled for that machine. And the performance profile for middleware may differ on different platforms, such that tweaks may be necessary, the dev may want to patch content etc. also. I doubt they could get a kit a month before launch, for example, and pop a port out just like that ;)

It really depends on how 'ready' they are for the other platform. The compilation phase is almost a non-issue. You may have some platform code that you need to change, but for the most part your engine is going to compile and run on the first day. Now you'll spend some time after this tweaking for the platform and in these cases - swapping out shaders for something more friendly for the host platform. If a dev wanted to patch something, that has nothing to really do with the middleware - they could have been doing that while waiting for dev kits.

Where you are going to spend most of your port time is in texture formats, adjusting cache sizes, shaders, and most annoying - controller differences.

That said, if the team has only those things to do - it is highly possible that they could submit content for platform review of a beta form in 60 days and be ready to launch it into retail in 90. That is definitely possible.

The problem that normally arises is that people go 'beyond the middleware' in someway - import some constant or library that doesn't compile properly on the target platform (though that is becoming more and more rare these days). But to go soup to nuts from platform to platform is not a massive excercise for most well written middleware as the actual platform itself is abstracted from you by the middleware itself.

Top Bottom