• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A kind stranger paid for my lunch today

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Today when I went to the local grocery store, the one closest to my "workplace" anyway, to purchase lunch (a potato), a minor problem arose at the checkout. It turned out that the POS system didn't accept card payment for sums under a certain value (the potato costed 1 SEK ($0.11/€0.10). As I didn't have any cash on hand, the cashier gave me two options - either purchase something else or cancel the purchase. Now, I'm very poor (especially at the moment due to an upcoming thing), so there's no room for me to purchase anything unnecessary, so I at first decided to cancel. But luckily did the person standing behind me in the queue offer to pay for me, which I find a very nice thing to do. I properly thanked her and then went to cook the potato (in a microwave oven, turned out very tasty).

Now, this wasn't any greater sum of money but that's not the point here really, for many wouldn't offer a nickle to someone in a situation like this. The shown kindness made me very happy, and provided me with food. So, thanks again to this good Samaritan.

Have you had something like this happen, or perhaps you have helped someone in a similar scenario?

I've had that happen to me when I was $0.20 away from a gatorade, the man behind me paid for it. Thank you stranger for helping me fight my hangover.

Ecto311

Helped a few times. When I worked at at&t as an iPhone rep I would help people all the time. Granted it is not the same as in store but people would call and want a payment arrangement and sometimes I would wipe out the entire bill. I would see their history and by talking to them if I could see they were in a shit situation I would just credit down the account. Got a lot of hard working people crying and all that but it made them really happy with the service and pushed my review numbers through the roof. That was when we could credit $250. Before I left the credit situation was under $40 without manager review.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Do you have a PayPal account? If yes, pm it to me.
I don't have a PayPal account, but you don't need to send me any money. I have enough to sustain myself until next payment by end of the month, it's just I have to make every penny count (and I don't eat lunch every day, just needed it today to prevent falling asleep). Thanks for consideration though. :)

Katori

That is amazing OP, also I am sorry you are eating plain potatoes for lunch. Wish I was in a better position to help out.

Go_Ly_Dow

A potato for lunch :( I'm sorry, OP.

what the fuck?

i just had a microwaved potato for dinner.

simply with butter, salt, pepper and a sprinkle of parsley.

don't crit. it was amazing. fluffy buttery mashed jacked potato. mhmm

come at me bro!

Ivan 3414

The most anyone has done for me is let me go in front of them in line at the grocery store when I had one item. Which is nice.

Ganhyun

when you can, do something kind for someone else. its like that old country song says, don't let the chain of love end with you.

Kiru

A potato as lunch. Your username is so fitting. :D

I think I helped someone out in a similar situation as yours. The person needed only a few cents more, so I said fuck it, let's help out.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Rösti;150822980 said:
I don't have a PayPal account, but you don't need to send me any money. I have enough to sustain myself until next payment by end of the month, it's just I have to make every penny count (and I don't eat lunch every day, just needed it today to prevent falling asleep). Thanks for consideration though. :)

No problem, I checked your thread history and you seem to post a lot about world of warcraft and other mmos. If you're this poor I certainly hope you don't have any active mmo subscriptions.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
No problem, I checked your thread history and you seem to post a lot about world of warcraft and other mmos. If you're this poor I certainly hope you don't have any active mmo subscriptions.
I have an active WoW subscription which I paid for using some money I got for Christmas, but it's via a Pre-paid card so it doesn't automatically renew. That's it. Again, it's just this month that has been particularly exhaustive.

ReAxion

PN07bzA.png

NomarTyme

what the fuck?

i just had a microwaved potato for dinner.

simply with butter, salt, pepper and a sprinkle of parsley.

don't crit. it was amazing. fluffy buttery mashed jacked potato. mhmm

come at me bro!

Sounds amazing.... along with a steak.

So OP story is not that bad since I know some people that don't eat lunch at all.

Kiru

You should see the resolution and settings he plays at. :(

Being poor sucks. I know it very well. That said, it gives you a bit of hope when a stranger does an act of kindness. I've had it happen to me and I've given money/time to people who need it more than I do now to pay it forward.

Tom Nook

I was at a Jack in the Box finishing my lunch while a family of four sat the table next to me. The Dad offer me his unused chicken sandwich, which I gladly accept.

jts

...hate me...
One time an ex-gf told me that an eldery poor lady in front of her in the supermarket line couldn't pay for an orange or something. That lady got embarrassed and sad, she felt sad as well and I was like "um... so why didn't you pay for it?". She didn't have an answer for me. I really felt bad about it :/

Anyway you guys better share your microwaved potato recipes. First time I hear of such a delicacy.

ReAxion

Someone started a chain-reaction in a drive-thru I was in a couple weeks. Two cars up, someone paid for the car ahead of me, so the car ahead of me paid for me, and I paid for the car behind me.

I got a good deal cuz my food was ~$6 and the car behind me was only $1.07.

Rösti;150821387 said:
I properly thanked her and then went to cook the potato (in a microwave oven, turned out very tasty).

Hahaha this is a touching and brilliant story. Also hilarious because you microwaved it.

But, dude, potatoes in Sweden only cost 11 cents??? That seems cheap. What do your bags of potatoes cost?

shira

Someone started a chain-reaction in a drive-thru I was in a couple weeks. Two cars up, someone paid for the car ahead of me, so the car ahead of me paid for me, and I paid for the car behind me.

smile.gif
best kind of days

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Hahaha this is a touching and brilliant story. Also hilarious because you microwaved it.

But, dude, potatoes in Sweden only cost 11 cents??? That seems cheap. What do your bags of potatoes cost?
I saw no bags of potatoes at this store, but one kilogram costed 9.90 SEK ($1.14).

breakfuss

Yo, this was depressing. A single potato? Even OP's avatar is sad. Glad someone was able to lift your spirits a bit.

jts

...hate me...

Car behind you just wanted a sweet dollar tea, ended up buying lunch for a whole family. GG.

Wanace

You went to the store and bought a $0.11 potato for lunch? How often do you do this?

If I saw someone buying a singular potato, I'd pay for it too out of sadness.

HORRORSHØW

i've bought panhandlers lunch who hang out in front of restaurants. i really don't have expendable cash but i hate to see people go hungry.

It doesn't sound like kindness, it sounds like they were upset you were holding the line and they'd rather pay the 11 cents to get you out of the way. I've done this before under the guise of being nice but really just wanted to remove the burden because I was busy.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't sound like kindness, it sounds like they were upset you were holding the line and they'd rather pay the 11 cents to get you out of the way. I've done this before under the guise of being nice but really just wanted to remove the burden because I was busy.
The only people in line were I and her, and she didn't have many items either. I didn't linger there for long anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom