• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A kind stranger paid for my lunch today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symphonia

Banned
Definitely, I sometimes have jacket potatoes for tea. Add some beans or tuna mayo if I'm feeling lavish.
I'm partial to melting some cheese in it, sprinkling some bacon bits on top, and adding a sprig of parsley. Season with salt and pepper, too, for extra flavour. Too many people are too quick to pass up the humble, yet delicious, baked potato.

Faith

I don't know if I should take the thread seriously? I mean it's Sweden, nobody has to eat potatoes for lunch.

Anyway. I've never experienced a situation like this but I think I would pay for the other person if it's not more than 10$.

I'm partial to melting some cheese in it, sprinkling some bacon bits on top, and adding a sprig of parsley. Season with salt and pepper, too, for extra flavour. Too many people are too quick to pass up the humble, yet delicious, baked potato.

That's pretty much exactly what I did.

danowat

Banned
I don't know if I should take the thread seriously? I mean it's Sweden, nobody has to eat potatoes for lunch.

Anyway. I've never experienced a situation like this but I think I would pay for the other person if it's not more than 10$.

Don't go to any Eastern European country then............

nib95

Banned
Yea I've done this before when people in-front of me in a queue have run out of change or whatever. Anyway OP, hope you land on your feet.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Damn OP. I've had some rough weeks myself being an unemployed student. Awesome of the lady to pay for your tater though.

Yeah but we are talking about Sweden. The rich country with the Alps, cheese, chocolate, knifes and banks! Why do you mention these desert countries?

Are you really mistaking Sweden for Switzerland?

Peagles

Garlic chives don't hurt either.

I'm so hungry now, but it's nearly midnight and I already had dinner.

danowat

Banned
Yeah but we are talking about Sweden. The rich country with the Alps, cheese, chocolate, knifes and banks! Why do you mention these desert countries?

Plenty of "rich" countries eat potatoes as a staple meal, baked potatoes are big in the UK.

Amalthea

Banned
Let's put a potato in a tinfoil and bake it in a microwave.

Watch the microwave explode.

Struggle rösti all over the walls.

Akahige

Yeah that can be a tough one, I've been on both sides of that situation.

I microwave potatoes all the time, after i microwave it i smash it down then put it in a dish with butter and seasoning and put it under the oven broiler to crisp up. It's much quicker then baking it or boiling.
How long do you microwave a raw potato for anyway?
Poke it a few times with a knife and do it for like 4-10 minutes depending on the potato size and your microwave power level.

Ayumi

One time an ex-gf told me that an eldery poor lady in front of her in the supermarket line couldn't pay for an orange or something. That lady got embarrassed and sad, she felt sad as well and I was like "um... so why didn't you pay for it?". She didn't have an answer for me. I really felt bad about it :/

Anyway you guys better share your microwaved potato recipes. First time I hear of such a delicacy.
Same happened to me.. She had money but she couldn't manage to pick up the coins from her wallet (she seemed very old and confused) so I paid for her and followed her to a nearby cafe. She said she was waiting for her daughter to come but she was so thirsty. She felt so happy about me helping her that she started crying... which made me cry.. especially when she asked for my name and said she would never forget me. I will never forget her either. God bless. ; ~ ;

Glad to see OP is okay! Potato sounds depressing.. But it can be quite yummy. :3

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
that sounds like a really nice thing to happen ^_^!

If I ever become rich I will do something like that too o.o Idk walk into a supermarket and pay for random people. Until then we live the same life OP!

Tc91

Jacket potato with butter, beans and cheese.

4TfeeGW.png

jts

...hate me...
LOL. You messed up.

The plural of knife is KNIVES.

gimmmick

I hope things pick up for you OP. I know I would have done the same thing as that stranger in the market did for you. I cook for a living and seeing someone not be able to afford something to eat for lunch / dinner really gets to me. One of the main reasons why I'm a chef is because it was a career field I knew I would never be hungry in my life.

Inotti

There are poor people in Sweden? that play World of Warcraft and have internet access.

I am shocked.

At least in Finland internet access is considered basic need and prety much even most poor people have some kind of internet access. How are you supposed to pay bills and search jobs without internet? Well you can pay bills without internet if you go to bank every time to do so but the service costs are so high that it would be cheaper have some kind of internet connection at home. In some cases internet access is included to rent but even when it isn't the cheapest connections are about 9,90€/month. Even in the worst cases you can go to library and use internet for free. And op said that he got prepaid WoW cards for christmas.

I can't imagine things are that much different in Sweden.

Toothpick

Microwaved 2 potatoes rn. Mashed with butter, salt, pepper, parsley flakes and sprinkled some mexican-blend cheese on top. Had some grilled chicken bits in the fridge that i pan fried with some butter. And then some leftover caesar salad too haha. Off to bed now

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Wow, last thread we had like this the OP freaked out about someone doing something nice for him. Good to see that you're grateful.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The struggle is real.

Also how someone can be poor in Sweden? Poor and with internet.

Violet_0

Banned
when I was around ten or so, while on vacation in the US, a stranger gave me and my brother four complete, packed McDonald's menus as he was heading out

The struggle is real.

Also how someone can be poor in Sweden? Poor and with internet.

He could afford the potato though, it was just the store that wouldn't accept his card for some reason.

Also, if OP had bought a pack of Ramen that probably cost the same, I don't think people would have had the same reactions in this thread.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
He could afford the potato though, it was just the store that wouldn't accept his card for some reason.

Also, if OP had bought a pack of Ramen that probably cost the same, I don't think people would have had the same reactions in this thread.
i know im just joking, i eat potatoes like 3 times a week!

mackattk

No problem, I checked your thread history and you seem to post a lot about world of warcraft and other mmos. If you're this poor I certainly hope you don't have any active mmo subscriptions.

Get out of here with that. A MMO is one of the most cost effective forms of entertainment.

Zing

Banned
what the fuck?

i just had a microwaved potato for dinner.

simply with butter, salt, pepper and a sprinkle of parsley.

don't crit. it was amazing. fluffy buttery mashed jacked potato. mhmm

come at me bro!
Don't potatoes have essentially zero nutritional value?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom