• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A kind stranger paid for my lunch today

Status
Not open for further replies.

jts

...hate me...
Don't potatoes have essentially zero nutritional value?
Nah, not zero. Some vitamins and whatnot. Besides the calories/carbs of course (which your body also makes use of), and it's a non-processed food so it beats stuff like noodles or bread.

Cheebo

Banned
If the OP is so poor he can only afford a 11 cent single potato for lunch and said he can't puchase any non-essentials why does he pay monthly subscriptions for MMOs....?

Eating (and a single potato is nowhere near enough for a meal for nutritional value) is a lot more important than MMORPG's.

Getting rid of the WoW subscription will pay for 3 additional potatoes A DAY for an entire month for example.

Husker86

Some lady in front of me was paying by check and the store check scanner thing wouldn't accept it. I said she could write a check out to me and I put her entire bill on my credit card.

I didn't necessarily give her money, but I did take a risk. Check cleared, as I assumed it would.

eot

Banned
If the OP is so poor he can only afford a 11 cent single potato for lunch and said he can't puchase any non-essentials why does he pay monthly subscriptions for MMOs....?

Eating (and a single potato is nowhere near enough for a meal for nutritional value) is a lot more important than MMORPG's.

Getting rid of the WoW subscription will pay for 3 additional potatoes A DAY for an entire month for example.

He already explained that his sub was pre-paid some months ago and that his finances happened to be particularly bad this month.

I laughed so hard at this that I felt bad. Here I thought my lunch buffet for 9.3 euros was a good deal.

Paying forward though, I once paid a burger meal for a homeless dude, he shared with his friend. Cool dude.

Goodlife

Seriously, why all the confusion over a jacket spud?

Granted, microwaved jacket potatoes are nowhere near as good as oven jacket potatoes, but still, there is nothing wrong with them at all.

Unless you're living his life, telling him what he should be doing with his money is pretty fucking scummy. If playing WoW is what gets him through the day then that's his decision.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I finally understand why your WoW screens looks like they're coming from a computer from the 90s.

A single potato for lunch.... my apologies Rosti.

Szu

OT starts heartwarming thread about the potential kindness of strangers.

GAF debates if a potato counts as lunch.

Ultimadrago

OT starts heartwarming thread about the potential kindness of strangers.

GAF debates if a potato counts as lunch.

tremethisisneogafs1omd.gif

mackattk

Unless you're living his life, telling him what he should be doing with his money is pretty fucking scummy. If playing WoW is what gets him through the day then that's his decision.

Yup, and a full month of WoW isn't too far off from going to watch a movie in a movie theater one night.

I know I saved a buttload of money when I was playing WoW, it was all the entertainment I needed and didn't spend money on much anything else.

EloKa

I'm somewhat amazed that someone:
  • goes into a store for a single 0,10 € item
  • can't afford two of those 0,10 € items
  • is thankful for such a small gifted potato for a sum that basically feels like not beeing money at all
  • immediately declines an offer to receive a small payment by paypal
pitiful OP who doesn't even eat lunch everyday to Robin Hood in like 5 posts

Aiustis

When I was poorer, I used to walk 3.5 miles to work year round, rain or shine. A homeless lady paid my bus fair on a particularly stormy day.

NateDog

Yikes, I'm sorry to hear you're in such a position OP but I'm glad someone was kind enough to do that for you, I feel the same way no matter how large or small the amount of effort someone is willing to go through to help you.

A number of months back my girlfriend and I were going back to our hotel after we went for dinner, but for some reason the tram had finished up earlier than usual and only went up to a certain point at that time (it was nearly midnight I think). We waited around the station for a few minutes hoping for one to come to bring us to the hotel but pretty much knew it wasn't going to happen and we would have had to walk about an hour or two and we were already exhausted. Another couple (a lot older than us) were also in the same situation as they were up from the country for a match the next day which they won tickets to in a competition and out of pure chance they happened to be staying where we were. We hung around for a while and they said they'd be getting a taxi back to it and told us to go with them but we really didn't want to, we felt awful as we had all of our money planned out and couldn't afford anything but they just kept telling us to forget it and not worry. They were such genuinely lovely people and the great thing was that they really didn't mind one bit, they just told us to "pay it forward" any time we can since we can't afford to actually give them the money. We've always kept that in our heads since then and we haven't forgotten it.

Seanspeed

Banned
If I was a cashier and some dude came up to buy a sole, lonely 11 cent potato, didn't have the money for it and then told me that was gonna be his lunch, I'd have paid for it myself, too. God damn.

Monochrome_F3ar

Neo Member
When I was a kid and poor me and my brother were buying a bunch of ramen and Campbell's soups but left the money in my mom's car. So we had to leave the line to get it. When we came back it turned out that the lady behind us paid for the food. We thanked her and went on our way.....we used the extra cash to buy ourselves some horchata.

Yo Microwave doesn't have a potato setting, pfffttt......chump

Microwaves have potato settings now?

Guess I need to upgrade...

Poke it a few times with a knife and do it for like 4-10 minutes depending on the potato size and your microwave power level.

I'm going to try this at some point, I love baked potatoes, but £4 for one is just daylight robbery.

I get that you pay extra for convenience, but come on...

Replicant

A sushi cost $3.20. I didn't have 20 cent left in my pocket. I was about to cancel it but the server told me it's okay, I could have it for $3.

I thank her and the next day I came back to pay off the 20 cent.

Symphonia

Banned
Yeah.. what's this jacket potato thing?
A jacket potato, or baked potato, is the edible result of baking a potato. When well cooked, a baked potato has a fluffy interior and a crisp skin. It may be served with fillings and condiments such as butter, cheese or ham. Potatoes can be baked in a conventional gas or electric oven, a convection oven, a microwave oven, on a barbecue grill, or on/in an open fire. Some restaurants use special ovens designed specifically to cook large numbers of potatoes, then keep them warm and ready for service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom