• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A kind stranger paid for my lunch today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, the other day I was watching an interview with "Stone Cold" Steve Austin and he was talking about eating potato(es) as a meal when he was a young wrassler paying his dues.

Fink

One time my dad was behind someone in line who couldn't pay for everything with food stamps, so he bought their groceries for them. Apparently there are some weird restrictions as to what you can't buy with food stamps.

No problem, I checked your thread history and you seem to post a lot about world of warcraft and other mmos. If you're this poor I certainly hope you don't have any active mmo subscriptions.

If you saw his WoW screens you'd think he was buying the potato as a computer upgrade.

Once there was a small boy who went to school to become proud Russian Communist. He found of a picture of a pretty American girl with smile and two fingers into peace sign. He takes the photo around and no one is knowing her.

One night he hears tapping on window. He looks outside and it is the girl. "Fuck you American!" he screams, and throws potatoes at her.

She keeps this up for several nights until boy is out of potatoes. He leaves his house to kill girl but is hit by a car instead. Driver gets out and takes the boy's photo. Girl is now holding a potato and has 3 fingers raised with a smile.

Kiru

Once there was a small boy who went to school to become proud Russian Communist. He found of a picture of a pretty American girl with smile and two fingers into peace sign. He takes the photo around and no one is knowing her.

One night he hears tapping on window. He looks outside and it is the girl. "Fuck you American!" he screams, and throws potatoes at her.

She keeps this up for several nights until boy is out of potatoes. He leaves his house to kill girl but is hit by a car instead. Driver gets out and takes the boy's photo. Girl is now holding a potato and has 3 fingers raised with a smile.
What the fuck did I just read ?! lol

ReAxion

The potato... was me.

nampad

I was late for a train and thought I could buy a ticket on it with my bank card but it turned they didn't accept that. I was short €3-4 in cash and a kind man in front of me gave me that money. I offered to pay him back but he was fine.
I think I gave his kid some chocolate I had but my memory is a little bit fuzzy.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kind stranger indeed.

Remind me when i was college students.
I too only eat potato or a small heaping of rice topped with chili when i'm saving money

mdubs

Banned
Rösti;150821387 said:
Today when I went to the local grocery store, the one closest to my "workplace" anyway, to purchase lunch (a potato), a minor problem arose at the checkout. It turned out that the POS system didn't accept card payment for sums under a certain value (the potato costed 1 SEK ($0.11/€0.10). As I didn't have any cash on hand, the cashier gave me two options - either purchase something else or cancel the purchase. Now, I'm very poor (especially at the moment due to an upcoming thing), so there's no room for me to purchase anything unnecessary, so I at first decided to cancel. But luckily did the person standing behind me in the queue offer to pay for me, which I find a very nice thing to do. I properly thanked her and then went to cook the potato (in a microwave oven, turned out very tasty).

Now, this wasn't any greater sum of money but that's not the point here really, for many wouldn't offer a nickle to someone in a situation like this. The shown kindness made me very happy, and provided me with food. So, thanks again to this good Samaritan.

Have you had something like this happen, or perhaps you have helped someone in a similar scenario?

Just pay it forward one day when you are able to OP, glad something good happened we need more people like that in the world

Elchele

Good story. Things like that really make me feel good. I usually try to do the same when I can (paying the bus for someone without credit, or things like that), simple and basic things that actually make the world a better place. You can brighten the day of someone with such small gestures.

Btw, about the potato. tell me your recipes. I'm also in a tight budget, and I think potatoes could be more nutritional than oatmeal.

It doesn't sound like kindness, it sounds like they were upset you were holding the line and they'd rather pay the 11 cents to get you out of the way. I've done this before under the guise of being nice but really just wanted to remove the burden because I was busy.

you must be proud. what a great human being

You just gotta pay it forward bro, and then the next person pays it forward, and then the next person pays it forward, and then our society collapses in upon itself....

though obviously not in this situation.

Redd

If all you were buying was a potato I would've bought it for you too op. Hell I might throw in a candy bar for you to snack on later.

Schrade

The most anyone has done for me is let me go in front of them in line at the grocery store when I had one item. Which is nice.

I do this all the time. People are always appreciative. I just think it's efficient and polite.

I've also been waiting for an opportunity for someone in a military outfit to be ahead of me in line so I can try to pay for their groceries. Hasn't happened yet but it got close, once. They were in a different line too far away from me, unfortunately.

sestrugen

But then who was potato?

So she is gonna sell the potato for 3 dollars?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It never occurred to me, but buying a single potato is a great idea for lunch - especially if your office has communal butter in the fridge.

SuperSah

Banned
The only time I remember this is when I was in a sweet shop once and wanted a bottle of fizzy Vimto and my mum's friend just happened to walk in paid for it for me.

Mind you, I was a child so this is obviously different. :p

ICKE

Banned
Rösti;150822980 said:

A very fitting user name for this story! I hope you can fight past your financial troubles and potato is very tasty with butter and some herbs.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
what the fuck?

i just had a microwaved potato for dinner.

simply with butter, salt, pepper and a sprinkle of parsley.

don't crit. it was amazing. fluffy buttery mashed jacked potato. mhmm

come at me bro!
Something like this?

670px-Bake-a-Potato-in-the-Microwave-Step-9.jpg

Hmm, gotta try it out.

Peagles

what the fuck?

i just had a microwaved potato for dinner.

simply with butter, salt, pepper and a sprinkle of parsley.

don't crit. it was amazing. fluffy buttery mashed jacked potato. mhmm

come at me bro!

Yes, microwave potatoes are godly.

Food can be tasty and thrifty!

Nice story OP. I love to hear about little acts of human kindness.

Also surprised to learn some places in the world don't sell loose potatoes, lol.

One time I was at a gas station and some dude in front of me was a few bucks short of a burrito, so I bought it for him and he was happy.

OP I understand you. I'm in my third year of unemployment now, sometimew it's hard for me and my wife to get to the end of the month so I get to eat rice only for weeks, or nothing at all cause my wife needs the best nutrition of the two. Anyway, in the past I used to buy food for the beggars outside malls or supermarkets, most of them were very happy about it, others a bit less.

I know it's only 10 minutes in a microwave vs an hour in the oven, but god do they taste so much better when baked, with the crispy skin and all. Baked potatoes make great flavoured mash too.

Romez

OP's a genius, never thought about jacket potato for lunch at work.

Have it plenty of times at home. Oven >

Peagles

I know it's only 10 minutes in a microwave vs an hour in the oven, but god do they taste so much better when baked, with the crispy skin and all. Baked potatoes make great flavoured mash too.

I usually get them done in about 7 minutes (3 each side and one more after cutting it open to melt cheese or sour cream or butter or whatever). It's a huge waste of energy to do just one in the oven but you can always finish it off in there to crisp it up a bit.

I always microwave potatoes to mash them too, unless I'm doing a big lot it's just not worth boiling them in the pot. It's nice to keep the skins in as well.

Something like this?

Hmm, gotta try it out.

You are going to want to cook it in the oven and rubbed in salt to get any sort of edible consistency out of the skin.

If you don't cook it long enough either it will be rock hard in the middle.

A baked potato, coated in a little oil and salt roasted in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes is utter delicious just served with some butter inside.

mashed Potatoes as well are so cheap and easy to make, I cry when I see people buy pre packed ones for £2 or powdered ones from a packet. You only need to buy £1 of potatoes, peel them, boil them for 15 minutes in salted water and then mash them with some butter and add grated cheese if you fancy that. This makes a huge batch of mash enough for 2 meals as a person or as sides for 4 or more.

Aiii

So not worth it
Good on that stranger.

I would actually expected a lot of people to help you out in this case, to be honest. I've found that most of humanity is actually quite decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom