• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Molyneux can't keep his promises part ??: Godus Kickstarter edition

From RockPaperShotgun:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/09/oh-godus-what-the-hells-going-on/

Just over two years have gone by, and mobile free-to-play versions of the game launched last year, but what state is the PC development in now? Molyneux has announced that he’s now working on a new project, a mobile thing called The Trial, suggesting Godus is no longer his focus. And the team currently working on the game have recently acknowledged that they, “simply can’t see us delivering all the features promised on the kickstarter page.”
So what is the state of the development? It sounds as if the developers themselves do not quite know. Designer Konrad Naszynski has recently been added to the team and is being impressively frank about his experiences on the Godus message boards. As well as stating that he doesn’t believe the Kickstarter promises are achievable, he added, “a lot of the multiplayer stuff is looking seriously shaky right now especially the persistent stuff like hubworld.”
As for those Kickstarter promises, it’s not looking good. The silliest claim made was that it would be finished in “seven to nine months”. That wasn’t even true of the money-raking mobile versions, and with the PC game in Early Access since September 2013, it’s been missed by a further 17 months on top. The Linux version, added as an achieved stretch goal, has shown no signs of appearing (and the game is built in an engine that doesn’t support Linux). A “student forum” was promised, claiming to provide “feedback on your game design and any career advice you might need”, but we can’t find them.
More at the link

But don't worry, guys!
His new game, The Trial, will be an “experience never seen before"...will 'build on feelings and emotions untapped so far.”

iXJgYhqStYCMX.png

Fury451

Banned
His excitement for the medium and ambition for new features and ideas for untapped potential is amazing.

I don't recall him ever delivering.

Drencrom

What kind of idiot would part their money with that pathological liar in the first place?

The people who enable that man by giving him resources have only themselves to be blamed when they get burned.

epmode

His excitement for the medium and ambition for new features and ideas for untapped potential is amazing.

I don't recall him ever delivering.

I like Magic Carpet and Dungeon Keeper a lot. No idea if hose games were good because of Moleyneux or in spite of him.

What a scam, especially specifically having a stretch goal for Linux and seemingly just ignoring it. Someone better call Molyneux out on it if he does any future interviews on his new project.

Giever

He's fucking absurd. It's like some 10 year old kid got his/her wish and suddenly inhabited an actual game designer. So they were like, LET'S MAKE THE ULTIMATE GAME YEAHHH, YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING YOU WAAAAANT!!!! And actual programmer's are like 'wtf dude what are you even thinking', but he's in charge and also does a lot of the PR so it gets made anyway and he hypes it to shit thinking it will work. When it doesn't he's like oh man what the heck then meanders to the next project.

It's fucking ridiculous.

BibiMaghoo

Thing is that in the past, him not delivering on promises was disappointing, but ultimately Ok, because games like Black and White, are actually pretty damn good.

Problem here is that Godus is just shit. All the missing stuff and bullshit PR aside, the game is just bad. It is not fun. That makes it his worst fuck up yet by a good margin.

So wow, he just straight up ripped his backers off. Amazing.

Yeah, and unlike many that use a Kickstarter, he could easily have funded the game himself. But why spend his own money, when he can spend ours?

Fury451

Banned
He's been downhill ever since 'The Movies'.

I thought that underwhelmed too? Never got to playing that one.

Edit:
Thing is that in the past, him not delivering on promises was disappointing, but ultimately Ok, because games like Black and White, are actually pretty damn good.

Problem here is that Godus is just shit. All the missing stuff and bullshit PR aside, the game is just bad. It is not fun. That makes it his worst fuck up yet by a good margin.

This is a good post. Fable games under-delivered but were not that much fun IMO. Not bad, but adequate. Black and White I heard great things about at the time.

Godus has been all criticism.

ssjali

Molyneux is literally doing this since years. He doesn't give a fuck about his customers and keeps on getting worse quality wise.

Homer.gif

Molyneux lies, Telltale games are hot garbage and High Voltage's output is mediocre and they are incompetent.

These are truths and should you engage with any of them, more fool you.

brau

The guy is terrible.

All of his design promises are always way out of scope, and he over sells everything.

Best fit for him at this point.
Work at Ubi.

Not only is this terrible, but it detriments other peoples work and puts people in the spot light. I would not spend a dime on this game or any other game that has his involvement.

Fury451

Banned
Personally, I loved it. Not sure about everyone else, but it seems to have a pretty decent rating on metacritic.

Huh. May have to look into it then. I don't recall it being on Steam or GOG, probably hard to track down.

After all the shit Molyneux has lied about, I still can't bring myself to dislike the guy. How?

For me, he has real enthusiasm. He genuinely seems to want to fulfill his promises. He just doesn't.

Molyneux over-promising is nothing new. But this is straight up ripping off people who gave him money in advance. This is a new low for him.

Top Bottom