• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Molyneux can't keep his promises part ??: Godus Kickstarter edition

Ein Bear

I can't think of a single worse combination than Molyneux and Kickstarter. Honestly, if you donate to it and wind up disappointed, you've pretty much brought that on yourself.

Some of his games still turn out great despite the broken promises, but the guy's pathological.

I can't really sympathize with most people still giving him the benefit of the doubt, because there should be enough information out there about the likelyhood of him delivering on his promises. If you give him money only you are to blame.

Wasn't this guy crying while being interviewed in a kotaku article. (I think the topic was about how he over promises)

As nick diaz would say Wolf Tickets.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
This abusive relationship some of you have with Molyneux is really unhealthy.

"No, no, seriously, he's different. He wants to change. He just loves us all too much, he promises so much but he really really thinks he can do it. I know that based off of every action he's made in the past 15 years he's clearly manipulating people to gain extra interest in a product he never believes will reach the heights he describes, but he just can't help himself! Oh this? I fell down some steps."

Kssio_Aug

All these lies sould already start to be punished as a crime. I dont know if doensnt happen already because people don't look as videogames as serious business (what may lead them to not care about all the lies behind this marketing) or because all these false promises/marketing/pr are still not enough to be penalized.

Seriously... Its revolting how common this stuff has become in the video game industry.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Just to echo everyone saying they miss Bullfrog.

There was a time when Peter Molyneux meant Populous. Sad.

iXJgYhqStYCMX.png

molyneaux was born for this meme, as has been proven on gaf over and over again

Saganator

I use to be a staunch defender Molyneux, but after Godus, fuck him and his new game plus whatever he does here on out. His only redemption is redoing Black & White as a tablet game with out shitty micro-transactions.

JDSN

Banned
Good, got tired a being called a troll on the Kickstarter thread, all the backers of this aware of who Molyneux is deserve their unfinished product.

Thing is that in the past, him not delivering on promises was disappointing, but ultimately Ok, because games like Black and White, are actually pretty damn good.

Problem here is that Godus is just shit. All the missing stuff and bullshit PR aside, the game is just bad. It is not fun. That makes it his worst fuck up yet by a good margin.

Yeah, and unlike many that use a Kickstarter, he could easily have funded the game himself. But why spend his own money, when he can spend ours?
Yup. This is why I consider Godus to be his first real screwup. And it was done directly to fans of his. Silly, silly fans who wanted to believe him and put their money towards helping him achieve his vision. Which was evidently of a simplistic mobile F2P experiment, rather than the god game resurrection people were led to expect.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
His new game, The Trial, will be an “experience never seen before"...will 'build on feelings and emotions untapped so far.”

Peter, people would be less mean if you didn't keep saying things like this.

I love Molyneux and I really believe he's one of the most creative people in the industry.

Still, it's impossible to trust him at this point. I'll always be somewhat interested in what he's working on but there's no way I could convince myself to buy into his hype again.

Regardless, I still wish him all the best. It's a shame that he has the reputation that he does because he's done a lot of great things over the years, but you can't say it isn't deserved at this point.

Damaniel

Banned
His new game, The Trial, will be an “experience never seen before"...will 'build on feelings and emotions untapped so far.”

He really needs to work on a game that's like Game Dev Tycoon, only the goal is to produce the biggest overhyped game possible. Molyneux has lots of experience in the area, so maybe he could actually finish this one...

As a Godus Kickstarter backer, and a person who's seen over a decade of Molyneux disappointment, I should have known better. I won't even buy a finished product from the guy anymore - he's burned too many people too many times.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What's the last game he really delivered on? Black & White? The original Fable?

Black and White didn't really deliver, and was a slight disappointment, but I did have some fun with it nevertheless. If I could buy it on Origin, I would. Too bad it's unavailable. I wouldn't mind a remake of that game.

inky

I never would have expected this particular outcome. How dare you Peter Molyneux?

He's been downhill ever since 'The Movies'.

I thought that underwhelmed too? Never got to playing that one.

Personally, I loved it. Not sure about everyone else, but it seems to have a pretty decent rating on metacritic.

I loved it too, but it's massively flawed as well.

At least it was ambitious and did something different, which is why I personally give it a pass.

mrlion

"22cans | A great team with a great idea leads to great success."

I think even his team are falling for his lies...

_machine

Godus is still under development and does have a team dedicated to it (and they do plan to support it for "quite a while"), but 22Cans is also shifting some people (Molyneux included) towards their new title. It's still also doing pretty well at least on the mobile, but they "made mistakes with the PC-version" according to Molyneux's talk at Casual Connect. Core features might be done, but they could have done a better job at communicating which of the things in Kickstarter were for the wishlist.

Fuck Molyneux forever cute screwing his fans over like this. Under delivering a hand is one thing, taking money from your fans, under delivering, and then just shrugging and moving onto the next project is a whole new level of assholes even for mollynew.
I don't care how creative or enthusiastic he is, I can't see the man as nothing more than a snake oil salesman now.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
What does this mean for the winner of Curiosity and his "prize"?

It is behaviour like this that made me incredibly hesitant to back any Kickstarters in future.

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you will land among the stars".

Don't hate on a guy for being ambitious. I'm sure he doesn't deliberately lie to you.

EBreda

I really like the guy and his interviews make for joyful reading (specially Eurogamer's), but it's really hard to believe in anything he has to say nowadays.

It's like you never expect him to be so deceiving again, but here it is. With a vengeance.

That sucks to hear. I'm glad I didn't kickstart this one.

Godus on mobile was pretty decent until I hit the Wheat Wall. Fuck that game and fuck any game that forces you to wait until you can do anything, or pay up. I was with PM on Fable 2, I was even with him on Curiosity because it just seemed so dumb that it was entertaining, but I can't defend the man any more after energy based microtransactions.

Don't hate on a guy for being ambitious. I'm sure he doesn't deliberately lie to you.
Get that middle school tier motivational poster crap of here. This man has made a career of under delivering, but this time he did it /directly/ to his fans. He took money from his fans and still pulled his same bullshit. You'd think if there were any one time he'd try to get it right it'd be kickstarter but nope. Same old munnyloo.

I still get pissed off by how he hyped up what was inside that Curiosity cube. "Oh it'll change your life, better than you can possibly imagine". Turned out you became a playable god or some shit in Godus, the seemingly nothing Populus "successor".

zeioIIDX

Didn't he promise a ton of "world changing based on even small actions" for Fable? Because he forgot to put that in.

He did say that. I remember a specific example that was talked about where if you chop down a tree or plant a tree as a child, you will see the tree has grown in the future or it will still be a stump in the future. There were better examples but that's the one I always remember along with this photo when it was known as Project Ego (*snicker*)

ibzk9a6y6LAHx.jpg

mcrommert

Banned

I really hope you aren't serious

Its even worse now with Molyneux not having the backing of a big corporations...now his over promising is even worse because you don't end up with a halfway decent game like fable 2 and 3 as the end result

He did say that. I remember a specific example that was talked about where if you chop down a tree or plant a tree as a child, you will see the tree has grown in the future or it will still be a stump in the future. There were better examples but that's the one I always remember along with this photo when it was known as Project Ego (*snicker*)

ibzk9a6y6LAHx.jpg
If get into a fight and cut someone they'll come back years later looking for revenge with a scar on their face.

CHC

(screenshot)

Yup and you could cut individual blades of grass, as well as acrue musles and scars in real time. This guy has been at it for years now, I really think he's just completely out-of-touch with what can be done, and pretty much spouts his internal monologue / brainstorms as promises.

I did like Fable though

Get that middle school tier motivational poster crap of here. This man had made a career of under delivering, but this time he did it /directly/ to his fans. He took money from his fans and still pulled his same bullshit. You'd this if there were any one time he'd try to get it right it'd be kickstarter but nope. Same old munnyloo.

Well the fans should know to take his claims with a pinch of salt before they invest their cash. Like I say, he's not trying to defraud anyone. His vision outstrips his talent.

If you've ever met the guy, you would know he is a genuinely creative and ambitious guy. He has grand ideas. I'm not castigate him for that, even if he falls short and dissapoints sometimes. I'd rather have guys like him in the industry than a bunch of people playing it safe.

Well the fans should know to take his claims with a pinch of salt before they invest their cash. Like I say, he's not trying to defraud anyone. His vision outstrips his talent.

If you've ever met the guy, you would know he is a genuinely creative and ambitious guy. He has grand ideas. I'm not castigate him for that, even if he falls short and dissapoints sometimes. I'd rather have guys like him in the industry than a bunch of people playing it safe.
Thing is we have plenty of creative visionaries in the industry who /also/ know how to make a game. Who /also/ have done Kickstarters that more or less delivered on their promises. He should get no pass for simply having good ideas. Everyone has good ideas.

Top Bottom