• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Molyneux can't keep his promises part ??: Godus Kickstarter edition

Danielsan

As far as I know the only good things this dude ever made are Populous and Black and White. Though I'm in doubt of that too as I've never played them and people seemingly liked Fable 2 too. Dude is and has been a hack for years.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I've done a lot of thinking about KS games.

I view Godus as a failure as a game (most people who play it do not think well of it) but a "success" as a Kickstarter (the game was delivered on both platforms with a core featureset comparable in scope to what was promised--excluding multiplayer, yes; communication and the pace of updates was decent most of the time; the length of time the team has continued iterating on the game is comparable to what one would expect).

I think "they blew their release schedule" is a pretty irrelevant criticism for any KS. Virtually none meet the timeline they claim they will and failure to do so has virtually no relation, positive or negative, to the quality of the final product*. The best way to look at the timeline for a KS is as a metric for whether you think the scope and funding goal are feasible (IE to avoid the company collapsing before the game comes out). What's more useful as a metric for judging KSes is whether the developer communicates well while in development and makes progress steadily.

* The two highest rated KS release games last year? Shovel Knight, which missed its projected release date by 9 months, Divinity Original Sin missed its release date by 8 months

malfcn

Didn't he just talk about not delivering? Yes, regarding hololense.

"It did remind me of [Kinect]. You kind of want to scream 'don't over promise these things'...My fear is that when you actually put the device on you're not as blown away as you should be"

He should reflect on his own projects and take his own advise. Where is the "last Fable was bad, buy the next one" meme?

BibiMaghoo

After all the shit Molyneux has lied about, I still can't bring myself to dislike the guy. How?

Because he loves his work, and vocalises what every other developer just thinks instead. Anyone that has ever worked on a game will think ''what if I do this!'' or ''maybe this would be cool!'' but Molyneux actually spits it out of his mouth in front of cameras, journalists and fans. That is an equally commendable and detestable attribute.

For me, he has real enthusiasm. He genuinely seems to want to fulfill his promises. He just doesn't.

He doesn't?

More like he can't. He over promises to the point that he'll never really be able to deliver on the promises he makes.

What he needs to do is button it and making promises that he should realise won't ever be deliverable.

After all the shit Molyneux has lied about, I still can't bring myself to dislike the guy. How?
He seems like a nice guy in interviews and such and so enthusiastic about it but, never delivers. Not only does he never deliver, he couldn't deliver in the first place with the shit he claims you will see, do, and feel in his work.

Basically he is an amazing conman.

Jobbs

Banned
What's the last game he really delivered on? Black & White? The original Fable?

black and white was a pretty good game, I honestly don't remember what the promises were though.

in terms of fable, uh, no. it's not that it was necessarily a terrible game, but the game that came out didn't even remotely resemble the kind of game promised and hyped. Fable is the game where I first came to realize that he's a massive liar due to how much he promised and overhyped the game and the sort of ordinary, flawed but ok action RPG that ended up coming out. I don't know how anyone of conscience could make such misleading statements about their game.

There are standard parts most people come equipped with -- shame, conscience -- that this guy just doesn't have.

Spaghetti

fuck peter molyneux.

i have no doubts now that he's someone who either

a.) was talented but success and a changing market has lessened that talent

b.) was always a fuck up who talked a good game and could coast on the talent of others

c.) literally bumbled his way into success

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
And yet, his next game will sell, again.

What was the game called where people chipped away at a big square to unveil something in the middle? ... it was on mobile only i believe.

massoluk

Banned
He so underdelivered recently that I began to doubt how much did he actually contribute to Theme Park, Theme Hospital, and Dungeon Keeper.

Fuck, I missed Bullfrog

What was the game called where people chipped away at a big square to unveil something in the middle? ... it was on mobile only i believe.
Curiosity I think was the name. Either way that was the game which lead to Godus.

The person who chipped the last block got to help develop Godus or something.

LowSignal

iXJgYhqStYCMX.png

That about wraps up this thread. I like his games but man the guy over promises every time. If he invited you over for nice dinner, you would show up to McDonald's.

Fury451

Banned
He doesn't?

More like he can't. He over promises to the point that he'll never really be able to deliver on the promises he makes.

What he needs to do is button it and making promises that he should realise won't ever be deliverable.

That's a fair correction, you're absolutely right. He's always thinking far beyond what is technically possible. The problem with that, is he should know it's technically not possible. Like with some of his Fable promises on the original Xbox; there was no way the hardware could have delivered at that time.

Bullfrog made some brilliant games with Peter at the helm.
Somehow.

Yeah, I wonder about that sometimes. I think other people at Bullfrog kept his feet grounded somewhat. What they delivered was unique and achievable.

Left on his own he goes off in the weeds.

King_Moc

Banned
It went from "he's overambitious", to "he's a prick" years ago. How low can he sink now? You just can't pull that shitvwhen it's the customer that's actually funded the product. Surely refunds are due?

mnannola

I want Peter's next Kickstarter to get 70+ Million, just to see the absolute chaos that would unfold over the next few years.

I got godus on android. It is one of the emptiest god game experience I've ever played. I would feel bad for the people who kickstarted it or purchased it on pc, but only a little because this is molyneux we're talking about.

Personally, I don't feel ill will towards him or his company. Because even though the game is an empty experience compared to most god games, it was still passable on a mobile game standard.

I didn't even know what Godus was until an interview with sessler though. This might have been the one. It had a couple parts but here is a link to just one segment. The game he describes is completely different (pretty much fundamentally) from the one released. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRHbxK4n_uQ

KJRS_1993

I wonder if it's the lack of publisher pushing deadlines and focus that's the reason why so many Kickstarters fail and miss their goals.

Really disappointed that GODUS hasn't worked out either. I'd have thought that'd be a dead cert, but it's wayy too easy to be over ambitious while developing. You can never realise just how much work is needed to be done until you actually start.

sleepykyo

He is extremely passionate and his vision just repeatedly exceeds his actual ability/resources. The other possibility is he is the world's greatest snake oil salesman. The latter is hard to accept when it mean admitting to being gullible enough to fall for it or simply refusing to accept the latter since he is really charismatic. I want to believe.

Jumplion

God damnit Petey, this hurts me more than it hurts you.

I can't bring myself to rag on Molyneux. He's just so goddamn passionate about bringing the best goddamn game in the world. I don't think he really "lies" about his work, just overpromises because, goddamnit, he wants to give you what he promises. He just sucks at, you know, actually getting those things done.

I wonder if it's the lack of publisher pushing deadlines and focus that's the reason why so many Kickstarters fail and miss their goals.

Really disappointed that GODUS hasn't worked out either. I'd have thought that'd be a dead cert, but it's wayy too easy to be over ambitious while developing. You can never realise just how much work is needed to be done until you actually start.
Personally I feel it just seems like there are so many failed Kickstarters get more news and attention than those on track and progressing. Off the top of my head: Yogsventure, TUG, Godus, Code Hero, Haunts: The Manse Macabre, Confederate Express, and others

While in 2014 alone, we got Shovel Knight, Octodad, Wasteland 2, Divinity: OS, Unrest, Sunless Sea, Spintires, Magicite, Lifeless Planet, Among The Sleep, Full Bore, Mercenary Kings, and many more Kickstarted games releasing

Lmfao

Monyleux is such a hack, he only made 2 good games in his life and has gone over off the deep end since.

The quicker this industry see's him gone the better. He's too much of an idealist.

Well he did recently mention that the kid is coming back:

JjTPE5s.png

Not that Milo ever was there so idk maybe he is high

Edit: Nevermind I realized this is a fake twitter. Curse my inability to read profile descriptions.

That's the Molyneux parody account (which I think has more followers than the real Molyneux.

Hah saw your edit just after I posted. Sorry.

Top Bottom