• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitch Plays Pokémon Anniversary: Back to Pokémon Red!

Andrefpvs

CXcLwFv.png

TPP started exactly one year ago and, to commemorate that, a playthrough of Pokémon Red just started. Will we pick Charmander again? Will the trolls choose the Dome Fossil? Over 10,000 people are playing right now.

The twist is that, this time, the goal is to complete the Pokédex.

http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon

"Wait, complete the Pokédex?"

From the Community Thread:

For the Anniversary Red Run, Democracy will be enabled using area-based timers. In other words, in certain suspect areas where we may need democracy, streamer has set it so that democracy will automatically enable itself once we have been in that area for over 24 hours total. If the area in question is left, the timer will stop, and anarchy will be re-instated.

"TPP Version" is a custom romhack of Red Version which will be used for our Anniversary Red Run. It is designed so that we can feasibly achieve the main goal of this run-completing the Pokedex. The run will end when we view the Diploma, followed by one as of now unknown surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W3gxrACWC0&feature=youtu.be
  • Catch all 151 Pokémon for TPP Red to finish, all Pokémon are catchable
  • There is a method of farming money in Celadon City that is likely the Battle Tent.
  • If things are bad enough, they will consider letting us buy Master Balls for 300,000 pokeyen.
  • If legendary Pokémon faint they will respawn after X steps and a map reload.
  • They were considering adding a female character, but decided against it.
  • It is "98.6% the same game. Just harder teams, higher level curve, and more post-game content."
  • Revo was considering nerfing the PC, but decided against it, because it is the nature of TPP. The release cursor defaults on no, however.
  • To beat the game, we need to return to the E4, after unlocking the true ending. This ending is unlocked through three conditions:
  • We must beat the Elite Four and make it into the hall of fame.
  • We must get the diploma from Oak (Game Designer ?), which will be avaliable after we catch all 151 pokemon.
  • We must check the bed after we beat the game once. What will happen after is unknown and it is up to us to "handle the suspense" until then.

"But, can this still be fun?"

While nothing will match the first Pokémon Red playthrough, you can still find some very entertaining moments in this run that didn't happen in the original, such as:

M6KBSk8.gif

RNAgJ9S.gif

LINKS:
Stream
Live Updater
Team Status and Playthrough Stats

EDIT: WE DID IT!

9rRwRKO.png

We also beat the final boss!

W4KUGrx.png

Everyone, we did it! It was a pleasure playing with you all!

Cess007

TPP2: The Return of Helix! ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Nothing will beat the original red moment of catching Zapdos in anarchy mode with the master ball.

Pfff, ATV taking down Dragonite like a boss was the highlight of the first TPP run :D

Is it the same guy who made it last year?

Same twitch channel, so yes.

That said... I stuck around for a twofer when it started, when I should have dropped it after the great Helix led the team to victory... It's just not the same anymore.

entremet

Complete the Pokedex?

Good luck lol.

Is this a hacked version with all version exclusives included?

All Starters
Both Fossils
Multiple Eevees since no breeding
And both Hitmons

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Just a quick heads-up, if anyone is interested. TPP started exactly one year ago, and to commemorate that, a playthrough of Pokémon Red just started. Will we pick Charmander again? Will the trolls choose the dome fossil? Over 10,000 people are playing right now.

The twist is that, this time, the goal is to complete the Pokédex.

http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon

Nothing will beat the original red moment of catching Zapdos in anarchy mode with the master ball.

Complete the Pokedex?

Good luck lol.

Is this a hacked version with all version exclusives included?

It was supposed to be with the original game launch (in fact, the original plan was to try and 'catch them all' after the elite 4 were beaten, but then he discovered his rom hack was faulty).

(Edit) Oh cool... donation messages now take up the screen with tons of new annoying sounds.... Yeah I just went from "okay, maybe one more for old time's sake" to "fuck this noise."

Is it just anarchy this time? That would genuinely be interesting to see if they can beat it that way.

from the FAQ:
An improved anarchy mode system will be used for the majority of the run. In the few sections where democracy mode might be required a 24 hour countdown timer will be elapsed before democracy mode is enabled, the timer is location specific and will pause if the player leaves the area.

Ferrio

Banned
So is the story going to be alternate universes or something?

edit: They need to move the donation message box.

Donation and sub sounds ruin the entire thing for me, what the fuck.

Also all that empty space on the left yet the ticker floats over the top of the game, congrats to whoever designed that...

One thing is for sure though, the dude who made twitch plays pokemon is rolling in it.

lol that last comment covered half the game screen.

One thing is for sure though, the dude who made twitch plays pokemon is rolling in it.

I'm all for people doing novel things being rewarded, especially in the entertainment sphere... but I just can't watch this now. All the noises and things taking up massive chunks of the screen? It impacts what the whole thing was about, which is playing the game as a community.

Majine

Banned
I see they've also taken the worst trends of Twitch streams since last year, including donation message spam.

Removing the sounds makes it slightly more bareable... but those donation remarks still take up a large chunk of space on screen for an extended period of time... It's just frustrating. Might at least leave it on in the background though and watch during gym battles.

Going to be real upset when we beat a gym just to have the final hit blocked by a donator though.

Andrefpvs

Messages would be fine if it was on the left where there's no screen
Removing the sounds makes it slightly more bareable... but those donation remarks still take up a large chunk of space on screen for an extended period of time... It's just frustrating. Might at least leave it on in the background though and watch during gym battles.

Going to be real upset when we beat a gym just to have the final hit blocked by a donator though.

I agree. Whatever is supposed to go there isn't more important than the game window.

Ferrio

Banned
Have to hand it to the streamer, the coding on this stuff is amazing. His pokemon battle colliseum (?) setup was really really impressive and more advanced than any other automated thing I've seen on twitch

Orayn

Having started the first TPP thread on GAF after seeing people link to it elsewhere, I feel like a proud parent even though I haven't really kept up with TPP beyond that original run.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Man, was it really feburary when TPP started? It feels like it was sometime in the summer.

Andrefpvs

The changes to Route 1 Pokémon are really increasing the difficulty of the run. We've blacked out more than 6 times already. That's more black outs than battles won :p

Azure J

Seeing them get bopped by random Pokemon on the road to Viridian City (heh) already says a lot about the kind of run this will be. :lol

That said, lmao at wild Tangela setting up for the amazing wild Spearow crit for the third white out and return to mom's house. Also shout outs to the stream chat exploding with "MOM'S SPAGHETTI" when Tangela appeared.

Nothing will top the chaos of the first round.

When we were led astray by the false prophet that led to the death of ABBY.

I was there when we made it past the ledge. I was there when Diglett dug before we got the key. I was there when we failed to get the water stone. I was there when our hero's were lost.

Top Bottom