• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Err ... Nintendo and MONOLITH?

This seems to kinda have gotten lost in all the E3 madness .... but Monolith is developing that natural disaster game for the Wii?

Aren't they the guys who developed F.E.A.R. on the PC?

That's pretty significant for Nintendo to be working with Western dev of that magnitude isn't it?

soundwave05 said:
This seems to kinda have gotten lost in all the E3 madness .... but Monolith is developing that natural disaster game for the Wii?

Aren't they the guys who developed F.E.A.R. on the PC?

That's pretty significant for Nintendo to be working with Western dev of that magnitude isn't it?
yeah i know jeuxpo.com says its monlith inc ,so this could be a very good game indeed. i mean the did work with sega on fear , got good recomendation and now nintendo is using them cool.

VerTiGo

Banned
Disaster was only shown in CG form however. Hopefully, we'll learn more about it. I think the art released for it is awesome though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Uh I think this is the other Monolith, Monolith Soft, they of Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos fame.

The video (albiet CGI) looked like it was a Western produced title though ... I'm pretty sure this is the western Monolith.

Cannot wait to see gameplay on this one.

RVL_Disaster_illu01.jpg

RVL_Disaster_char01.jpg

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
if its monolith soft then you might as wll forget about the game

on the other hand, if its monolith we have something to actually look forward to

Holy shit the artwork is tits.

I'm a little bit surprised that they'd make a game like this after Hurricane Katrina. I wonder how it will play.

James-Ape said:

Sort of, I guess. Oh well. I love my disaster movies, so I'm looking forward to what this game is like.

Nintendo's conference was good btw ... but you kinda have to wonder .... why not at least spend a little more time talking about working with Monolith and highlight Super Mario Galaxy?

Those were two huge deals ... and Nintendo kinda just lumped them into a montage :lol

VerTiGo

Banned
FoneBone said:
No, people who know people at Monolith speak the truth.

Becuase people who know people are more reliable than an official press document released by Nintendo...

I could be wrong however but the artstyle is way too westernized. Not to mention the fact that it's bound to be an FPS.

MonolithSoft brought us Baten Kaitos anyway, which I fucking love... so I'm fine which whatever one it is.

Beezy

This thread has succeeded in confusing me, but I think it's Monolith. I haven't seen any site or document saying Monolith Soft.

FoneBone

Seems a lot of people are confused, but when two people who would be in the know (White Man and Element) say no... I doubt it.

EDIT: People with access to the press site -- what does it say for the developer of BKII? That'd help.

VerTiGo

Banned
I just e-mailed Monolith asking for confirmation. I don't expect a reply until tomorrow, the earliest, however.

Wii first-party titles: new franchises

Posted May 10th 2006 12:30AM by James Ransom-Wiley
Filed under: Nintendo Wii, Action, Adventure, Driving, Sports, E3
DisasterHere's a brief synopsis of new first-party franchises hitting Wii:

* Disaster: Day of Crisis (Monolith); survival-action - Natural disasters have devastated the US. A rogue Special Forces unit has taken advantage and stolen a nuclear weapon. As Ray, a former rescue task force badass, you must save the world, or at least, what's left of your country. Disaster will feature scenarios like lava avalanches, earthquakes, and floods.

according to joystiq.com

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
If it is Monolith Software, I hope they outsourced it to the developers who made Disaster Report. :D

Emotions

Disaster FACT SHEET
FACT SHEET

Disaster: Day of Crisis™
Format: Wii™
Launch Date: TBA
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Game Type: Action
Accessories: TBA
Players: TBA
Developer: Monolith
KEY INFORMATION
Survive nature’s most devastating catastrophes in Disaster: Day of Crisis, a panic-inducing survival game for Wii. In a devastatingly short period of time, an unprecedented wave of natural disasters has pummeled the United States. On top of this inexplicable series of disasters, a rogue special forces unit has taken advantage of the chaos and seized a nuclear weapon. Only Ray, a former member of an elite rescue task force, has decided to take a stand.
• Cutting-edge physics and gripping visuals re-create the sheer terror of major catastrophes.
• Players race a car down a mountain to escape a roaring pyroclastic flow, dodge toppling buildings during a devastating earthquake and swim for their lives in a raging flood. No matter what happens, fight to survive.
# # #

Baten Kaitos Origins FACT SHEET
FACT SHEET

Baten Kaitos Origins™
Format: Nintendo GameCube™
Launch Date: Sept. 25, 2006
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Game Type: Role-Playing Game
Accessories: Memory Card
Players: 1
Developer: NAMCO BANDAI Games/Monolith Software/tri-Crescendo
KEY INFORMATION
Baten Kaitos Origins is a prequel to Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean, a Nintendo GameCube exclusive released in late 2004. The plot revolves around a group of characters who are struggling to discover the source of frightening changes (both natural and political) that are occurring in their world. During their journey, they will learn many details that help flesh out the first game, including how the despotic Empire government came to be.
• Players explore a massive world filled with memorable characters and bizarre creatures. From the high-tech high-rises of the empire to a rustic farming hamlets, the level and character design in Baten Kaitos Origins is wildly innovative.
• Players immerse themselves in the Baten Kaitos universe. With a twisting, turning storyline, dozens of side quests and thousands of lines of voice-acted dialogue, they will easily spend 80+ hours in this world.
• Players leap into the fray with the real-time combat system. With hundreds of weapons, armor pieces and items at their disposal, even fights against the smallest monsters will be a fun and frantic experience.
Game storyline: Baten Kaitos Origins takes place 20 years before the first Baten Kaitos game. It explains how the diabolical Emperor Geldoblame rose to power, and it also fills in many details about the heroes from the first title. In addition, players will learn about the origins of the world itself and why the Lost Ocean is returning.
Characters: The hero, a blue-haired young man named Sagi, was sent to assassinate the Emperor but found the job had been done for him. Blamed for the death, he’s now on the run with two friends – a robot named Guillo and a young woman named Milly. (Character names are not final.)
– more –
How to progress through the game: In the initial stages, the player’s party will progress in a linear fashion, moving from one area to the next along a set path. After playing the game for a few hours, players will acquire a ship that lets them visit areas in the order of their choosing, allowing them to either pursue optional side quests or blast through the main mission as they see fit.
Special powers/weapons/moves/features: Unlike traditional RPGs, where characters gain levels in categories such as strength and agility, the majority of leveling-up occurs by procuring better Magnus cards. There are more than 600 different Magnus cards in Baten Kaitos Origins, some of which have truly fantastical properties. Players can acquire cards in many different ways, including trading, buying, winning as spoils of war or by creating them themselves.
# # #

Both from Nintendo Press Site , you guys decide.

FoneBone

I'm sure this'll be clarified tomorrow. But since Monolith is owned by WB, it wouldn't make any sense (the FEAR and Condemned deals were in place before the acquistion).

EDIT: And yeah, if it isthe US Monolith, I can't see why Nintendo wouldn't have made a bigger deal about it, as that would be a major coup.

Kevtones

This is pretty hilarious if true...I would've expected Nintendo to have flaunted this exclusive....thats a pretty sweet developer to have creating an awesome sounding franchise for you :D

LOL ... how crazy it that Nintendo spent maybe a combined 25 seconds on a new Mario game and a potential big time Western exclusive like this?

:lol oh Iwata, you so crazy.

Emotions

Well, if it's true probably Nintendo payed, big deal like if Sony and MS don't pay to get exclusives plus Nintendo has loads of money to spend in getting exclusives but they're not willing to do it often . :lol

Top Bottom