• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Err ... Nintendo and MONOLITH?

FoneBone

VerTiGo said:
Not to mention the fact that it's bound to be an FPS.
waitwaitwait... where'd you get that from?

EDIT: and that settles that. Didn't know element actually worked for Monolith, though.

Kevtones

I'd like to note this is the supposed 'sandbox' game. How fucking cool would a sandbox game be in a flood-ridden New York? A post-apocalyptic London?

WORD.

White Man

Not to mention, when has Monolith ever produced art like this:

RVL_Disaster_char01.jpg

They really need to sue the bad "Monolith" out of existence.

I'm excited for this one, I really hope we see more tommorow.

Its true, Nintendo highlights some DUMB software at e3. Last year they spent so much time with Elektroplankton and Nintendogs it made me sick.

This year with Zelda (which is awesome, but we have already seen), Red Steel (which was a sub-par showing), and the Tennis game (sounds fuckin awesome, anyone can play it!).

Tommorow will shed a lot of light.

kablooey

Yeah, I think the concept sounds too quirky to be Western-made. It's probably the Baten Kaitos guys.

Take that as you will.

Kroole

White Man said:
Not to mention, when has Monolith ever produced art like this:

They really need to sue the bad "Monolith" out of existence.

Well it looks like something that NoA cocept artist could have done (can't remember the name of him right now) and if Nintendo is working very closely with the (whatever) team then they might as well have provided/pitched the concept and art of the game for them.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
whys everyone hate monolith soft anyway? baten kaitos rocks and they seemingly enjoy working on Nintendo exclusives.

BlueLegs

kaizoku said:
whys everyone hate monolith soft anyway? baten kaitos rocks and they seemingly enjoy working on Nintendo exclusives.
Wrong monolith, they are talking about the company that made FEAR.

Tellaerin

kaizoku said:
whys everyone hate monolith soft anyway?

In a nutshell? Probably Xenosaga. Either their mishandling of the series or the fact that they created it in the first place, depending on which side of the fence you're on.

atomsk

Party Pooper
jj984jj said:
If it is Monolith Software, I hope they outsourced it to the developers who made Disaster Report. :D

IREM only has a staff of like... 25. they'd have to create a whole new engine, which is something they havent done in years. (diaster report, bumpy trot, and disaster report 2 all run on the same engine, i think that firefighting game does too)

as much as i'd love another disaster themed game from IREM, they really need someone else to design the engine, and then let them do the rest.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Blimblim said:
For what it's worth, I can confirm this is the japanese Monolith. It's Nintendo's mistake.
Damn, now we need to find out who's truly behind it. Monolith Software can mean a lot of things.

Pellham

Banned
jj984jj said:
Damn, now we need to find out who's truly behind it. Monolith Software can mean a lot of things.

Not really. Monolith Soft has never made a good game, so it doesnt matter who is behind it.

jj984jj

Pellham said:
Not really. Monolith Soft has never made a good game, so it doesnt matter who is behind it.
Baten Kaitos proves that they don't develop all their games them-selves. But, what's wrong with Baten Kaitos now? It's a pretty solid game regardless if you really liked it or not.

Even if it's Monolith Soft, we don't know if it's Team Baten or Team Xeno developing it. . . >=) (Yes, they are 2 different teams).

Snow

nightez said:
Wikipedia says its Monolith Productions creators of F.E.A.R.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monolith_Productions
Wikipedia is just going of what IGN is saying. They don't have any extra info.

And some of the concept art looks great. But honestly, the game pitch doesn't sound that compelling.
Survive nature's most devastating catastrophes in Disaster: Day of Crisis, a panic-inducing survival game for Wii. When a wave of natural disasters pummels the United States, a rogue special forces unit takes advantage of the chaos and seizes a nuclear weapon. Players race a car down a mountain to escape a roaring pyroclastic flow, dodge toppling buildings during a devastating earthquake and swim for their lives in a raging flood. No matter what happens, fight to survive.
From http://wii.nintendo.com/games_disaster.html

Shalomi

This is, by far, the most fucking confusing thread of all time.

"It's monolith."

"The Japanese monolith?"

"No, Monolith software."

"Which one is that?"

"The Japanese one."

"No it's not."

"No guys it's Monolith Productions."

"Hey guys I can confirm from an alleged Monolith employee that it's monolith, not monolith. Because, you know, people on the internet are always who they say they are."

"Is the Japanese Monolith any good."

"They're terrible. And by terrible I mean they're good."

sp0rsk said:
if its monolith soft then you might as wll forget about the game

on the other hand, if its monolith we have something to actually look forward to

Baten Kaitos says otheriwse. BK games prove that Monolithsoft actually has talent.

It hurt to admit that.

ivysaur12

Banned
Mockingbird said:
Even if it's Monolith Soft, we don't know if it's Team Baten or Team Xeno developing it. . . >=) (Yes, they are 2 different teams).

Team Xeno is doing Xenosaga III, so Team Baten is probably doing Disaster. You know, the good part of MonolithSoft.

ivysaur12 said:
Team Xeno is doing Xenosaga III, so Team Baten is probably doing Disaster. You know, the good part of MonolithSoft.

OR since they're finishing the Xeno series maybe this is their next project. :lol

john tv

Baten Kaitos is a collaboration between monolithsoft (japan) and tri-crescendo. Most people have never heard of tri-crescendo, but I'm of the opinion that they're as important to BK as monolithsoft is.

duckroll

It makes as little sense for this to be Monolithsoft as it is for this to be Monolith Productions. Monolith is owned by WB, so it would be very unusual for them to be working on a first-party Nintendo game, and at the same time Monolithsoft is owned by BANDAI NAMCO. While Baten Kaitos 2 is being published by Nintendo, it makes little sense for them to be working on a new IP without Bandai Namco publishing it. Furthermore, what are they doing making an action game when they have zero experience in that genre? For the greater bomba? :p

Shalomi said:
This is, by far, the most fucking confusing thread of all time.

"It's monolith."

"The Japanese monolith?"

"No, Monolith software."

"Which one is that?"

"The Japanese one."

"No it's not."

"No guys it's Monolith Productions."

"Hey guys I can confirm from an alleged Monolith employee that it's monolith, not monolith. Because, you know, people on the internet are always who they say they are."

"Is the Japanese Monolith any good."

"They're terrible. And by terrible I mean they're good."

This is the only post in this thread that made any sense. I have no IDEA what's going on. I was a much happier person when I thought there was only one company named Monolith. :(

duckroll

Okay, Nintendo's press site actually changed their FACT SHEET on Disaster. Now it says Monolith Soft. BOMBA CONFIRMED! :lol

Shalomi

Henceforth, the Japanese monolith will be referred to as "Weezie-po" and the FEAR developers will be referred to as "Pizconk," as to avoid confusion.

Matt

duckroll said:
It makes as little sense for this to be Monolithsoft as it is for this to be Monolith Productions. Monolith is owned by WB, so it would be very unusual for them to be working on a first-party Nintendo game, and at the same time Monolithsoft is owned by BANDAI NAMCO. While Baten Kaitos 2 is being published by Nintendo, it makes little sense for them to be working on a new IP without Bandai Namco publishing it. Furthermore, what are they doing making an action game when they have zero experience in that genre? For the greater bomba? :p
Considering that Namco made both Star Fox Assault and Mario Baseball for Nintendo, it’s not odd at all…

jj984jj

duckroll said:
Okay, Nintendo's press site actually changed their FACT SHEET on Disaster. Now it says Monolith Soft. BOMBA CONFIRMED! :lol
:lol

Matt said it was the most impressive realistic looking thing they showed. :(

PLEASE DEVELOP IT WITH IREM MONOLITH!!

SpiffyG

Matt said:
Considering that Namco made both Star Fox Assault and Mario Baseball for Nintendo, it’s not odd at all…
And Donkey Konga...

Seems like Nintendo didn't even know who was making the game.

Top Bottom