• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Err ... Nintendo and MONOLITH?

duckroll

ethelred said:
Most of their games haven't bombed. Xenosaga I & II did, the others sure haven't. Both Baten Kaitos games did poorly in Japan, but BK1 made up for it in the US, and BK Origins might, too.

Erm, excuse me? Are you telling me that when XS Ep2's WORLDWIDE sales didn't even meet the DOMESTIC expectations of Namco, it didn't bomb? What about Namco x Capcom? It didn't even break 200k. No international sales to save it there! XS I+II? Massive bomb. Baten Kaitos in Japan? Not even 100k. How much did it sell in the US? It was definitely not a success. Baten Kaitos 2 didnt even break 50k in Japan, and the GC is a pretty dead console worldwide, are you implying you think it'll somehow make a non-bombtastic figure? :lol

Have you played Xenosaga III yet? Most of the impressions I've heard of its gameplay have so far been pretty positive.

I'll play it when I waste my money on the final product.

And despite the technical flaws you highlighted, most reviewers praised Namco X Capcom.

Most reviewers? Do you have a list of reviewers, what they gave NxC and the average score they usually give to a good game? It had mediocre scores in pretty much every Japanese magazine. When it was released I personally translated the Famitsu and Dengeki reviews. If you have to drag reviewers into a discussion about how Monolithsoft is a worthless developer, damage control total. :lol

Poor, poor, ducky -- the world just keeps not going your way. :)

It's going my way fine. Wake me up when Monolithsoft actually releases a respectable game that people don't mock. :D

I hear MonolithSoft was hired to work on Chrono DS.

It's true, you play as Lavos and rub the screen to destroy parts of the world.

SantaC

Gold Member
wow people here are not late to jump the shark. It's like if a developer once made an average game, they can never ever make a good game. Maybe you should take into the equation that people can leave their jobs, and new people can enter that studio. The name stands, but if a horrible developer once made a game it might not be the same people that are making the next-game. As an example of this is Yoshi's Island 2. Everyone was singing that game praises and it got good impressions until it was revealed it was artoon making it. Suddenly the game sucked. It's kind of unfair.

ethelred

duckroll said:
Erm, excuse me? Are you telling me that when XS Ep2's WORLDWIDE sales didn't even meet the DOMESTIC expectations of Namco, it didn't bomb?

Well, what the fuck does meet Namco's ludicrous expectations? By that reasoning, every game they make is a bomb!

The game sold well enough, so I don't consider it a bomb.

duckroll said:
What about Namco x Capcom? It didn't even break 200k. No international sales to save it there! XS I+II? Massive bomb. Baten Kaitos in Japan?

Yeah, NXC's sales didn't reach 200k, but they were over 130k, which for a fairly low-budget title from a lower-profile RPG studio, those are decent sales. Not outstanding, but not bombing.

And I already said Xeno DS and BK/BK2 bombed in Japan.

duckroll said:
How much did it sell in the US? It was definitely not a success.

Baten Kaitos sold 80k in Japan and around 170k in the US. That's not bombing -- it means the game sold more than most of NIS's shovelware, most of the Shadow Hearts games, Atlus's Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga series, etc.

Monolith Soft isn't Square Enix, most of their games aren't going to be blockbuster titles. 250k is a very good number for a new IP RPG from a lower profile studio.

duckroll said:
Baten Kaitos 2 didnt even break 50k in Japan, and the GC is a pretty dead console worldwide, are you implying you think it'll somehow make a non-bombtastic figure? :lol

Nope! Not implying anything. I'm just saying that the game sold horribly in Japan but it's not out in the US yet and so we can't pronounce its sales totals yet.

duckroll said:
Most reviewers? Do you have a list of reviewers, what they gave NxC and the average score they usually give to a good game? It had mediocre scores in pretty much every Japanese magazine. When it was released I personally translated the Famitsu and Dengeki reviews. If you have to drag reviewers into a discussion about how Monolithsoft is a worthless developer, damage control total. :lol

Nah, I don't give a crap about Famitsu and Dengeki. Namco X Capcom's gotten a lot of praise from importers as well as lots of GAFers

duckroll said:
It's true, you play as Lavos and rub the screen to destroy parts of the world.

It's based on the
Nintendogs
game engine.

duckroll

ethelred said:
Well, what the fuck does meet Namco's ludicrous expectations? By that reasoning, every game they make is a bomb!

That is true! :lol

The game sold well enough, so I don't consider it a bomb.

I think what the publisher considers is more important than what consumers consider when it comes to sales success. :D

Yeah, NXC's sales didn't reach 200k, but they were over 130k, which for a fairly low-budget title from a lower-profile RPG studio, those are decent sales. Not outstanding, but not bombing.

I don't know. Somehow Namco expected 500k. I wonder why!

Baten Kaitos sold 80k in Japan and around 170k in the US. That's not bombing -- it means the game sold more than most of NIS's shovelware, most of the Shadow Hearts games, Atlus's Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga series, etc.

Poor Shadow Hearts. ;_;

Monolith Soft isn't Square Enix, most of their games aren't going to be blockbuster titles. 250k is a very good number for a new IP RPG from a lower profile studio.

Monolith Soft is majority owned by Namco though. They're in no way a small studio that can be compared with NIS, instead they're more like Tri-ace in that aspect. A smaller developer with a high-profile publisher. The only difference is Tri-ace is actually competent. :lol

Nah, I don't give a crap about Famitsu and Dengeki. Namco X Capcom's gotten a lot of praise from importers as well as lots of GAFers

You said reviewers and now you're backpeddling to "importers and GAFers"? :lol Have you even played the game? I'm not saying it's utter crap, just that it's a pure fanservice game and the appeal of the game is 100% based on watching Namco characters and Capcom characters being involved in a crazy crossover storyline. There was a huge thread when we were all playing the game, and we basically all agree that the game has a ton of issues but is saved by being well.... pure Namco x Capcom fanservice. I don't think we can credit any of that to Monolith Soft as a developer, since these characters existed long before they did. :p

It's based on the
Nintendogs
game engine.

Damnit, stop giving out industry secrets like that. :(

ethelred

duckroll said:
I think what the publisher considers is more important than what consumers consider when it comes to sales success. :D

Sure, but you're labeling it as a bomb when it didn't sell at bomb levels, it sold well. I only care about whether the publisher views it as a success so far as it relates to franchises continuing. And while Namco viewed its success as disappointing (the same Namco that overinflates expectations for every Tales game by double), Nintendo didn't, which is why Nintendo stepped in as a new publisher.

duckroll said:
I don't know. Somehow Namco expected 500k. I wonder why!

Maybe they had it confused with Ridge Racer.

duckroll

ethelred said:
Sure, but you're labeling it as a bomb when it didn't sell at bomb levels, it sold well. I only care about whether the publisher views it as a success so far as it relates to franchises continuing. And while Namco viewed its success as disappointing (the same Namco that overinflates expectations for every Tales game by double), Nintendo didn't, which is why Nintendo stepped in as a new publisher.

Nintendo also decided that America could do with playing ToP in English officially finally. Even though the best they could do was translate the not-so-great GBA port. Nintendo does get A+ for effort these days. Namco is just keeping up with the Scamco nickname. :D

Maybe they had it confused with Ridge Racer.

Yeah, I bet if Reiko and the Ridge Racer car models were units in Namco x Capcom it would have sold 500k! Damn you Monolith Soft! Why couldn't you even do that! :lol

monkeyrun

by the end of the day, this is a Nintendo ip, not just some game that Nintendo publishes.

I believe they'll take good care of it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
monkeyrun said:
by the end of the day, this is a Nintendo ip, not just some game that Nintendo publishes.

I believe they'll take good care of it.

I think if they do hold MonolithSoft's hand through it, it can be something special. Two other examples of Nintendo hand-holding that led to sweet games (IMHO): Eternal Darkness and Metroid Prime.

Top Bottom