• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - The Order 1886 Tech Analysis

youre referring to crysis 1 right?

Yeah, Crysis 1. Let's just say I personally experienced a quite hilarious moment when I went form playing it on low on an x800XT to Very High on 8800GT SLI. 2006-2007 had some really mind bending differences in rendering. That is what I would consider generational. Much like the move from Unreal 2 to Unreal 3.
What the level of AF? I see different capture in the various thread and my God, in different area seems almost to see trilinear filter O_O
Mind linking to those shots? Trilinear?!

_machine

What the level of AF? I see different capture in the various thread and my God, in different area seems almost to see trilinear filter O_O
Read the article; it's hard to say as it looks like they use mixed levels of filtering (not exactly uncommon for a console game) with the end result being very varied.

In all cases I first crop out black bars (and UI elements if there are any), those would distort the analysis.
Did you use uncompressed screenshots? Lossy image compression typically removes high frequency information from the picture so it would be hard to know if the lack of said high frequencies would be the result of ingame image processing or "outgame" image compression. Neat method though.

Durante

Did you use uncompressed screenshots? Lossy image compression typically removes high frequency information from the picture so it would be hard to know if the lack of said high frequencies would be the result of ingame image processing or "outgame" image compression. Neat method though.
Yes, I took care with that exactly for this reason. I used lossless shots when I could find them (and for my own stuff), and the highest quality jpgs I could find otherwise.

What is this shit?

Sorry, let me rephrase. I think the effort and technology that Sony typically pushes in the graphics department opens them up to the most scrutiny, and brings them into the console versus pc discussions were all so used to. So in terms of graphics, Sony's are probably the most debated both for and against.

Many of the games that were arguably most impressive on the xbox were done by middleware developers, and as such create pc games as well, taking the what ifs out of the equation.

i should have just used msaa instead of qualifying it with a sample count. i mean its very impressive even if its just a free ppaa. but its a marvel of coding if they managed this level of fidelity together with hardware aa given the specs of ps4.

Not really. GDDR5 memory bandwidth and 32ROPs make the PS4 GPU pretty strong in that regard. Now, taking good advantage of the hardware is another story, and that is something The Order does quite well.

KKRT00

Come on, man. He's asking for Ryse images in a The Order thread, in order to push his narrative. It has no relation to the topic at hand at all. And a tongue-in-cheek comment or two is hardly being hostile.
What narrative?! Checking how high quality post-process AA or upscaling is affecting image clarity is pushing narrative?
And its hilarious, that says something like this a guy with full Sony oriented post history.

----

No, it has 2-4x AF most of the time, with some hints of 8x on rare some surfaces from what i've seen. Pretty much KZ:SF setup.

---
Awesome stuff again

I think we can make new thread about this. What a pity that i dont have MatLab, because i would love to make some snapshots myself :)
The analysis of different AA modes should really be interesting.

Not really. GDDR5 memory bandwidth and 32ROPs make the PS4 GPU pretty strong in that regard. Now, taking good advantage of the hardware is another story, and that is something The Order does quite well.

the ps4 gpu is equivalent to a mildly overclocked 7850. i dont think a 7850 equipped pc will ever run anything approaching the order.

What narrative?! Checking how high quality post-process AA or upscaling is affecting image clarity is pushing narrative?
And its hilarious, that says something like this a guy with full Sony oriented post history.

Yes, I do have a mainly Sony post history. But I also don't go into non-Sony threads and shit post. I don't go into threads and repeatedly bring up unrelated games. Feel free to go through my post history if it'll make you feel better, but I can say with 100% confidence that you won't find anything like what you do. No matter the thread you'll always find a way to bring up CryEngine and/or Ryse.

You won't find me going into SO thread and bringing up Infamous, or a Forza thread and bringing up DC. So yeah, me sticking to threads I only have interest in - that's your point scored against me? Bravo, I guess.

MercuryLS

Banned
The filmic look of this game is so annoying, everything feels blurry and out of focus (especially when you aim). I hate the way this game looks.

Corine

the ps4 gpu is equivalent to a mildly overclocked 7850. i dont think a 7850 equipped pc will ever run anything approaching the order.

I don't see anything in the Order that a 7850-7870 couldn't handle. Game looks nice, but it's not really doing much with it's limited scope.

CozMick

Banned
I don't see anything in the Order that a 7850-7870 couldn't handle. Game looks nice, but it's not really doing much with it's limited scope.

This is a bit silly, regardless of specifications there is nothing that looks this good.

It is a huge downside to pc gaming, always having to cater to the masses. Pushing current hardware to its limits very rarely happens.

As someone who was on a media blackout for this game and only caught glimpses of screenshots throughout, the visuals exceeded my expectations in every way, I was actually surprised at how good it looked and ran.

Media wise, I really only saw that grey, blurry picture of Galahad and Izzy where people accused it of being downgraded, but upon playing the game, it looks a lot different than that. The pier section in particular is just perfect.

KKRT00

Yes, I do have a mainly Sony post history. But I also don't go into non-Sony threads and shit post. I don't go into threads and repeatedly bring up unrelated games. Feel free to go through my post history if it'll make you feel better, but I can say with 100% confidence that you won't find anything like what you do. No matter the thread you'll always find a way to bring up CryEngine and/or Ryse.

You won't find me going into SO thread and bringing up Infamous, or a Forza thread and bringing up DC. So yeah, me sticking to threads I only have interest in - that's your point scored against me? Bravo, I guess.

So You have still no idea what tech threads are about.
You cant talk about technology in complete vacuum.
Btw not a single post of Yours in this thread was on topic or brought any tech related discussion, except for derailing a thread with some stupid conspiracy nonsense.

Kezen

Banned
This is a bit silly, regardless of specifications there is nothing that looks this good.
That absolutely does not mean a 7870 couldn't run this game. There wasn't a game as good looking as Ryse running on a 260x before it came to PC.

Corine

It is a huge downside to pc gaming, always having to cater to the masses. Pushing current hardware to its limits very rarely happens.

What's silly about it? It's not the most technically demanding game around or anything. Basically just narrow corridors with a couple enemies. It's not even a full 1080p and is only 30fps. I don't see any reason why a 7850-7870 couldn't run it.

Alej

Banned
What's silly about it? It's not the most technically demanding game around or anything. Basically just narrow corridors with a couple enemies. It's not even a full 1080p and is only 30fps. I don't see any reason why a 7850-7870 couldn't run it.

It certainly could, but there isn't any software to prove your point.
You know, it's exactly the same as saying there is no advantages to console closed platform philosophy while using only multiplatform examples.

Here you have a game built around the architecture it is on, and it is mindblowing to see it in motion. So there is indeed an advantage here, it isn't magic optimization or coding to the fucking metal...

Gestault

Here you have a game built around the architecture it is on, and it is mindblowing to see it in motion. So there is indeed an advantage here, it isn't magic optimization or coding to the fucking metal...

I may be misunderstanding you, but I think people saying the latter are basically referring to the former. The phrase is silly, but it's the idea behind it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
You can do the same analysis without MATLAB. Try Octave or Freemat. My buddy made Freemat, so I'll give it a plug.

Alej

Banned
I may be misunderstanding you, but I think people saying the latter are basically referring to the former. The phrase is silly, but it's the idea behind it.

Myself I've always saying the "former" while excluding the "latter".
It's just more efficient to focus on one hardware while building your engine around his singularities.

I've been called a console warrior a countless time for saying this
and even banned once, I fear I will be for saying this but whatever

It's just easier for devs to achieve an outstanding result engine wise doing this way. This doesn't say that the hardware is a fucking powerhouse (it's not ahem) and that there isn't other inherent advantages in the open platform the PC is.

I was saying this (and called out) for years if you look at my post history! Then, many dumb things come out of my mind too.

Kezen

Banned
well of course a 7870 could run it since a 7850 is already running it.
I forgot one detail though : lack of VRAM. The 7870 only comes with 2gb so I will have to retract my previous statement.

I believe it has the shading power necessary to run a game like The Order in a PC environment but not the video memory.

And it would need a lot more CPU horsepower as well if we are talking about Directx 11.

I don't believe the exact same specs as a PS4 would run this game on DX nearly as well, broad compatibility, less headache at the cost of raw efficiency.

thelastword

Banned
I'm pleased that most of the thread has delivered interesting discussion - Durante's stuff especially is excellent!
I hope not with those noisy looking screens littered all about.

Dark10x said:
You are, without a doubt, looking for controversy where there is none. The supposed tone that you take away from the article is NOT the intended one. These are designed to be critiques - that's how I've ALWAYS gone about my business. It's not a message board post and I'm not just going to lump endless praise on it. This isn't an IGN review. I actually love the game. In fact, it was a genuinely awesome experience but I can admit that it has issues as well. You're making this a black and white issue - either you love it or you hate it. It doesn't have to be so stark.
IGN has nothing to do with this, to be clear, I have no problem with any outlet and what they do with their opinions of a game. I don't care much about reviews that much anymore, it's only someone's opinion. I've played games that are sitting at 90+ metacritic and I SMH. I'm not particularly concerned whether you like the order or not at least you can understand that relative to the article you wrote and the thread we're in.

Dark10x said:
That is not what was said. I suggested that there could be arguments that the softness of the image doesn't raise it far beyond what we saw with 900p in Ryse but go on to state that The Order produces better image quality. The idea is to entertain the possibility that additional resources could be saved and similar quality results can still be achieved. Also, I cite it as one of the best examples of image quality in games because that's exactly what it is. It is *NOT* the best example of image quality in console gaming but it's one of the very best.
The argument was derived here, it was not compelling here and certainly not compelling for a technical argument. In what technical argument is 1600*900 upscaled can be seen as similar to 1900*800 native, that's not up for debate and that certainly is not compelling, it wasn't compelling in the thread it was discussed and moreso in a non-forum technical piece. Numbers don't lie.

It's funny that DF would agree with less being on par with more since their "hardly any difference between 900p and 1080p" is in line with this compelling argument.

Dark10x said:
You're just not reading into it properly, I dare say. I feel as if you're going into the article expecting some sort of anti-Order bias when that's not the case. It's VERY important to point out that this is a narrow game as its scope is precisely WHY it is able to achieve the results it does. I'm not bashing the game, I'm providing a reasonable explanation as to why they were able to achieve such results.
Anything you can say with words has tone, your opening remarks are "this is using a narrow design", lets be fair here, that's really stating the obvious. Anybody who saw the order from first glance knew it wasn't going to be an open world game, but here you are mentioning open-world which is on the other end of the spectrum.

A narrow game in design won't guarantee that you will set the graphical benchmark. The Evil Within has this same narrow design, it has some effects going, it has the black bars as well but it's no where close to what the order displays, you'd think that because it has worse graphics that it's performance would be at least better, but where on paper is that guaranteed?

It's simple really, the narrow design of the order does not so much justify the order's graphics as much as the hardwork and pedigree of the dev which did the work, so when you use the narrow design talk so persistently with so many "buts" and "I have my doubts about MSAA in between" yet you don't prove it, but you felt you should say it nonetheless. This is what has me scratching my head.....I mean this is a technical anaylsis, yet you dont know what aliasing killer is at work. Are you saying that RAD is lying about it? To me all these things that you suggest just seem a bit skewed to me and most importantly are not substantiated with any tests or facts.

So yes, beyond that, right there in your final verdict, BEHOLD you used the same narrow design narrative yet AGAIN, so at this point, I think that you have hit that proverbial "narrow design/great graphics" nail so much that curiously "it sounds like this whole means to an end bit is diminishing the work this team has done".

Dark10x said:
My uncertainly in regards to MSAA is, as such, due to the fact that I cannot say with certainty that it is actually using it. I'm inclined to say yes, but there are examples of artifacts that seem out of place for MSAA. As such, I'd rather express uncertainty than make a false claim. I try hard never to make claims about features that I'm not completely certain about.
I'm still baffled by that, it's strange that (even by your own admittance) you seem reluctant to give the game too much praise, I guess you don't want to sound too "forummy" but have no problems going against what is public knowledge about the order's AA method. I mean the tone in this article does pile up.

Dark10x said:
The entire thing is written from a critical point of view not designed to slander the game, rather, push readers to think about the points raised. It's an attempt at presenting a balanced finding rather than a page full of praise.
And this is what's wrong right there. Don't get me wrong I'm not talking about the praise part, but in your attempt for balance you did quite the opposite of diminishing what RAD has done here. A tech analysis should be less concerned about word diplomacy and more concerned about hard facts for e.g. 2 is greater than 1. Native vs Upscaled, 4xMSAA or not.

No, it has 2-4x AF most of the time, with some hints of 8x on rare some surfaces from what i've seen. Pretty much KZ:SF setup.
How did you come up with these numbers?

Dark10x, here's your case in point.

nynt9

Yes, I took care with that exactly for this reason. I used lossless shots when I could find them (and for my own stuff), and the highest quality jpgs I could find otherwise.

Wouldn't a film grain filter increase high frequency content?

benzy

The filmic look of this game is so annoying, everything feels blurry and out of focus (especially when you aim). I hate the way this game looks.

I think the dynamic DOF is probably one of the most natural looking in gaming. They've imitated a real camera lens extremely well.

xsoifu.gif

nib95

Banned
I think the dynamic DOF is probably one of the most natural looking in gaming. They've imitated a real camera lens extremely well.

xsoifu.gif

Excellent GIF. I agree that on the whole it is very well implemented, though it does have a few rarer moments where it's a bit off or slow with it's selection.

xsoifu.gif

Awesome GIF, Even down to stuff that would go unnoticed like the reflections in the windows.

Best looking game available, Simple as that.

Because "Best. Graphics. Ever!" is fine for a personal opinion on a forum, but for a professional writer it adds nothing substantial to the article yet can be seen as making an objective statement on a subjective issue that would no doubt serve as a lightning rod for trolling and controversy. Adding "perhaps" as a qualifier cuts out (or at least limits) all debates about art-style and game scope and adding "on console" does the same for things such as obscene IQ and 16K pillow texture mods, whilst still conveying that in the author's informed opinion the combination of technologies stand at the pinnacle of current achievement in the field.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with "best graphics ever" for a professional writer. Sure, it doesn't have to be put in such juvenile unrefined terms, but expressing that statement is perfectly acceptable.

It doesn't need to be "qualified" or intentionally moderated for fear of seeming less sophisticated or pandering.

Surfheart

Have you played the game? I wonder if you have because some of the environments are quite expansive. Chapter 9 comes to mind, the sailing boats and dock cranes blew my mind.

c0de

KKRT00

The argument was derived here, it was not compelling here and certainly not compelling for a technical argument. In what technical argument is 1600*900 upscaled can be seen as similar to 1900*800 native, that's not up for debate and that certainly is not compelling, it wasn't compelling in the thread it was discussed and moreso in a non-forum technical piece. Numbers don't lie.
But You have Durante's comparison where Far Cry 4 and Infamous: SS are quite a bit sharper than The Order. Sure The Order is sharper than Ryse, but not by much. Its not as sharp as other native games with less post processing.
Numbers actually arent everything and that was Dark10x's point.

How did you come up with these numbers?
Mostly experience with those values. 8x AF looks practically like 16x, there is hardly any blurring on textures. 4x AF generally goes to half of the screen, maybe slightly further. With 2x AF the textures are pretty much blurred after 1/3 of distance.
I've seen shots with textures in all of those situations.

d9b

Banned
Finally had a chance to sit down and spend 2 hrs with The Order 1886 last night. Game looks absolutely amazing in every aspect... Mindblown! And this is not hyperbole, it really is the best looking game on any console at the moment by a wide mile.
Don't know how they did it, but I certainly hope to see more console games on this level of tech wizardry in the near future.

Don't know how they did it, but I certainly hope to see more console games on this level of tech wizardry in the near future.

I think that might take a while.
I just don't see 3rd party games reaching that level. Animation, material scans etc. I don't think they are willing to spend as much money on these. Priorities are elsewhere.
This is not a console thing, thats also true on PC.

Guess we have to look at Sony/MS first party and even there I think its unlikely that The Order will be surpassed soon.
Uncharted has pretty huge levels(based on what we've seen in the gameplay demo) higher resolution and maybe 60FPS. I doubt they'll be able to beat The Order, even at 30FPS.
GuerillaGames is supposedly working on an open world west RPG.
QuantumBreak looks interesting, but gameplay demo looked nowhere near as good as The Order.
The next GodOfWar might be a candidate to surpass The Order.

But maybe we have to wait for the next The Order game untill we see something better than The Order.

Top Bottom