• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi Gaming thread - Cheap emulation and gaming projects

amnesiac

I have two issues:

• Emulation Station gets stuck when I try to scrap game data. It says "Scraping in Progress" and stops responding to my controller or keyboard button presses. What can I do? I don't want to pull the power. It's still downloading data and updating the screen.

• How can I change the system logos in the main interface? I prefer Super Famicom over Super Nintendo.

What database are you scraping from? You should only be scraping from TheGamesDB or else it will freeze. They may have changed this in the latest update, so I'm not 100% sure. In general, I found the manual scraper to be pretty glitchy and annoying. If you have a lot of games that need to be scraped, I highly recommend the sselph scraper -- it's way more efficient. https://github.com/sselph/scraper

lewisgone

Hey guys, so I finally jumped on the Raspberry Pie emulation train - everything's turned up and I put it all together, and for the most part everything's working perfectly. I just have a couple issues I was wondering if people could help with - I'm no good at computing or anything so this is a little tough for me.

The main issue I'm having is with controller hotkeys. I've got this Buffalo USB SNES controller and all the buttons I've configured are registering in games, but hotkeys just aren't working which means I can't back out of games, or save, or do anything beyond play the game without a keyboard. I went and looked at the config file for the controller and it seems to have all the default hotkeys setup (with Select being the trigger to activate them) so I cannot for the life of me figure out why it's not working. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

Also, is there any way to make saving in-game actually save the game? I find it easier to keep track of and prefer it to saving with save states and stuff.

I have to say that looks amazing, any chance you can share plans and/or graphics ? I built a full size "Fix It Felix Jr" a while ago, so I know how hard these things can be, the thing that makes it is the t-molding, proper curves and really good artwork, looks very professional.

Well Done ...

Thank man.
Sorry for my late answer I was away on holiday for 2 weeks with no internet.
Sure I can pm you some pdf files if you want, let me know !

GG-Duo

What database are you scraping from? You should only be scraping from TheGamesDB or else it will freeze. They may have changed this in the latest update, so I'm not 100% sure. In general, I found the manual scraper to be pretty glitchy and annoying. If you have a lot of games that need to be scraped, I highly recommend the sselph scraper -- it's way more efficient. https://github.com/sselph/scraper

I'm scraping from TheGamesDB (which is terrible by the way... Kinda regret using it since there were quite a few false positives)
I let it continue and after a while it just timed out and responded to my controller again.

Thanks for the tip about sselph. I did see it while I was Googling for a solution.

MRORANGE

guys....

B08Lih8.jpg

Finally a bluetooth N64 controller.

8bitdo doing amazing stuff.

I just ordered a usb bluetooth adapter for my pi 2. I can find how to connect ps3 controllers no problem but I can't find anything on how to setup my usb in the first place. It can't be as easy as plugging it in and going from there, can it? I assume I would have to download drivers or update something before following the instructions on pairing a ps3 controller?

Edit: Using retropie, btw.

amnesiac

I just ordered a usb bluetooth adapter for my pi 2. I can find how to connect ps3 controllers no problem but I can't find anything on how to setup my usb in the first place. It can't be as easy as plugging it in and going from there, can it? I assume I would have to download drivers or update something before following the instructions on pairing a ps3 controller?

Edit: Using retropie, btw.

It should work by just plugging it in but I would recommend updating Retropie and the setup script to the latest versions just so you have the most up to date Bluetooth software.

muteki

Got an 8bitdo for dad's day and after some screwing around have it working with the Pi 3's built in bluetooth. I tried quite a bit to get the PS3 controller to work w/ a dongle but the documentation seemed out of date and just got frustrated. For now though the 8bitdo will suffice.

MRORANGE

The pi zero is in stock at pimorini again, considering it costs the same as a cup of coffee it's a great way to get into Retropie.

Nymerio

Has anyone tried emulating PS2 games? I'd like to build something like a Singstar station for my niece and the newest Pi would be great for that, if were capable of emulating Singstar.

amnesiac

Has anyone tried emulating PS2 games? I'd like to build something like a Singstar station for my niece and the newest Pi would be great for that, if were capable of emulating Singstar.

There is no PS2 emulator for the Raspberry Pi and even if there were, it would not run games well at all.

The most powerful emulators available for the Pi are PSP/Dreamcast/N64, but most games available for those platforms I would consider unplayable.

sp3ctr3

I installed Retropie on my Pi 2+ tonight and tried out Castlevania on NES. It seems like it cuts some of the screen off?

On the lefft is says
CORE
LAYER
NEMY

It has cut the first letter off. How do I fix this?

I installed Retropie on my Pi 2+ tonight and tried out Castlevania on NES. It seems like it cuts some of the screen off?

On the lefft is says
CORE
LAYER
NEMY

It has cut the first letter off. How do I fix this?

I assume there are scaling or over an options, but I am away from my Pi to check.

Ecto311

Email today off of the microcenter mailing list shows Pi Zero in stock for a lot of stores. Local store had 2 earlier.

Seik

Banned
Hey all,

I cracked, my best friend offered me to go see his father and both get a Bartop made.

We worked 7 hours today and both have this done so far...we have two identical structures just like this! :D

fEkT369.jpg

We'll be going back there in about a month, in the meantime we'll buy monitors, buttons/sticks and all the jazz needed to finish this project...I never would have gone so far alone though, it's a chance his father had all the tools at hand.

Ecto311

Hey all,

I cracked, my best friend offered me to go see his father and both get a Bartop made.

We worked 7 hours today and both have this done so far...we have two identical structures just like this! :D

fEkT369.jpg

We'll be going back there in about a month, in the meantime we'll buy monitors, buttons/sticks and all the jazz needed to finish this project...I never would have gone so far alone though, it's a chance his father had all the tools at hand.

Any good places for plans or you just make it up as you went? I'm looking to build something similar for 2 players. Thinking about going square monitor because most games were made for that back then. Or is there a better use of 16 x 10/9 in the emulators?

So I want to build a handheld system using a Raspberry Pi 3.
I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for display. I think a ~800x480 ~5" display would be great, if that's possible.

As well if there were recommendations for a battery pack to run the whole thing.

So I did have some pretty important news I wanted to share.

After over a year of trying, I FINALLY got TurboGrafx-CD games to load on the RetroPie. Would you believe that the style of a quotation mark in the .cue file made all the difference? When editing the .cue file to match case-sensitive the .iso or .bin file, make sure you are not using rich text.

Also, I was able to make a TurboGrafx-CD section in my system to seperate CD from HuCard games. Cool!

ScOULaris

Exciting news!
Somebody found a way to shave 2 frames of input lag off of FCEUMM and SNES9X.

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/2019/an-input-lag-investigation

So I went to go update my lbr-snes9x-next emulator from source as recommended in that thread, and I had to update my RetroPie Setup script first. After doing that, however, it notifies me that Raspbian Wheezy is no longer supported and I will have to backup my files and flash the latest image onto my SD card.

While I'm fine with updating to the latest build of Retropie in order to continue keeping my emulators up to date, I'm concerned about not being able to simply update from the binaries. If my only option now is updating via flashing a new image, how can I ensure that all of my configurations and game metadata will carry over?

It took me quite a while to get everything exactly how I like it, so I'm fearful of losing all of that work.

Chucker

How old was your build? I was on the latest since I didn't even jump into this scene until last month.

I get what you're saying though, I spent a few hours getting everything where I wanted.

ScOULaris

How old was your build? I was on the latest since I didn't even jump into this scene until last month.

I get what you're saying though, I spent a few hours getting everything where I wanted.
Mine is running on about four versions back from the most recent Retropie build.

Jinroh

Has anyone been able to fix the input lag when using retropie? It doesn't come from my TV since there is no delay in the menus, but in-game (in all emulators) the input lag is a disaster. I thought waiting for a bit and switching to the third pie would fix things up but sadly the issue remains.

ScOULaris

So if I flash the latest image onto my MicroSD in order to update to the latest build of Retropie, what's the easiest and most reliable way to backup/restore all of my current ROMs, metadata, and configurations?

Can I just copy out what's currently in my Samba shares and then paste them back in after I flash the new image?

amnesiac

Has anyone been able to fix the input lag when using retropie? It doesn't come from my TV since there is no delay in the menus, but in-game (in all emulators) the input lag is a disaster. I thought waiting for a bit and switching to the third pie would fix things up but sadly the issue remains.

Changing the video_frame_delay in retroarch.cfg is what helped minimize my input lag. I think mine is set to 10. You can also lose a couple frames in the NES and SNES emulators by updating them from binary (more info in the posts above yours).

I still would suggest trying a different TV, however. I know you said there's no delay in the menu, but it can't hurt. Trying the Pi on my family's new television was like trying it for the first time in terms of input lag.

JEKKI

:( help!

I just moved into a new place and cannot connect my retropie to wifi!!

I noticed my password has the # symbol in it and when I input shift+3 to enter the # sign the on-screen password shows two ** instead of one, but when I hit delete button both of the ** get deleted.

is anyone else aware of this problem? is there away around password input I can do?

I know I can try to change my wifi PW, but if I do that then I have to go back in the whole place and change the passwords of all my devices just so I can connect to one device that I dont even use often

:(

:( help!

I just moved into a new place and cannot connect my retropie to wifi!!

I noticed my password has the # symbol in it and when I input shift+3 to enter the # sign the on-screen password shows two ** instead of one, but when I hit delete button both of the ** get deleted.

is anyone else aware of this problem? is there away around password input I can do?

I know I can try to change my wifi PW, but if I do that then I have to go back in the whole place and change the passwords of all my devices just so I can connect to one device that I dont even use often

:(

You're using the UK keyboard standard. You can fix this by going into the Raspberry Pi config menu and changing the keyboard standard. All keys can be found if you look for them otherwise.

JEKKI

You're using the UK keyboard standard. You can fix this by going into the Raspberry Pi config menu and changing the keyboard standard. All keys can be found if you look for them otherwise.
*googles UK standard keyboard*

oh dang... mind = blown X_X

so apparently, another key is mapped to the # sign... just entered a different key and now all is good! device is connected and I can see it on my network too!!

Thank you thank you!!!

unfortunately, I'm still having trouble with my previous Trouble Shooter problem lol,

I tried to ask on reddit, a site which I've never used before, but it did not allow me to ask as my account was brand new.

Also tried to load in the JP version of the game, Battle Mania, and same problem.

so yes, my question again, is rom incompatibility a thing with the Pi? and if so what games are good examples?

psylah

The sound-out for the headphone jack on the Pi is pretty trash, can anyone suggest a USB audio DAC that they've had a good experience with?

ScOULaris

So I just recently updated my old 7.x Retropie build to the latest 8.x, and I've noticed that changes made in the RGUI (selecting shaders, for example) are no longer remembered upon relaunching an emulator/core. It appears that the settings in all/Retroarch.cfg always overwrite whatever changes you make to the emulator-specific retroarch.cfg, so the only way to make them stick is to save the changes as a new config, track down the elements that changed in a text editor, and then pasting those changes at the top of the emulator's retroarch.cfg.

From what I've read, this is by design. But I feel like it's a huge step back from how it was before where Save Configuration on Exit and Save Config per Core both being on resulted in changes being saved and reapplied on launch with each individual emulator. Am I missing something?

As a sidenote, I'm also wondering if there's any way to force the default NeoGeo BIOS for all games using lbr-fba-next to be UNIBIOS 3.0. Right now it always defaults to the stock MVS BIOS whenever I launch a NeoGeo game, and I have to manually change it to UNIBIOS for every individual game. In Retropie 7.x I just set the NeoGeo mode to UNIBIOS and it applied as the default across all games.

Any help with these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom