• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi Gaming thread - Cheap emulation and gaming projects

Seik

Banned
Just connect to the IP address instead, you may have some DNS resolution issues locally, go into retropie menu, there is an option to check ip address. Once you know what it is, open explorer \\192.168.2.xxx and hit enter, (obviously replacing this with your IP)

I tried that yesterday, and today with both Firefox and IE to be sure and it doesn't work.

I tried disconnecting my Pi from my router to plug the Ethernet cable directly in the PC, doesn't work either. It doesn't see it via bluetooth either.

I checked that all my network discovery settings were on, of course.

I also tried going directly in my router's distrib settings page so that it reserves a DHCP spot specifically for Retropie, linked to its IP.

Can it be related to that 'Workgroup' app on W10? Do I need extra software added now apart from Retropie? I don't remember having to install anything else back then...

I'm this close to go back to W7...but I need an extra HDD to back up all my stuff.

EDIT: Managed to do it via USB ROM transfer...still can't believe I never managed to see it on my network though. :(

anx10us

Banned
I tried that yesterday, and today with both Firefox and IE to be sure and it doesn't work.

I tried disconnecting my Pi from my router to plug the Ethernet cable directly in the PC, doesn't work either. It doesn't see it via bluetooth either.

I checked that all my network discovery settings were on, of course.

I also tried going directly in my router's distrib settings page so that it reserves a DHCP spot specifically for Retropie, linked to its IP.

Can it be related to that 'Workgroup' app on W10? Do I need extra software added now apart from Retropie? I don't remember having to install anything else back then...

I'm this close to go back to W7...but I need an extra HDD to back up all my stuff.

EDIT: Managed to do it via USB ROM transfer...still can't believe I never managed to see it on my network though. :(

What is the IP address of the RPI ? if its a 192.xxx.xxx.xxx and set to DHCP (default) then you will be able to connect. if however the address is 169.xx.xxx.xxx then there is a problem with the network, probably the cable ..

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The updated Raspberry Pi Zero is up at stores like ThePiHut and Pimoroni. The new thing is an added CSI camera connector - http://blog.pimoroni.com/the-new-raspberry-pi-zero/

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpoqxVJ_X2Y

DSC08270-5.jpg

Are there any distros that have a game select screen with video preview? (either streamed or video stored locally?)

I am using Hyperspin on my standup cab and love the video previews. Is there something like this for Pi?

suikodan

Has anyone paired an 8bitdo SNES30 with a Pi 3 over Bluetooth? I'm having a hell of a time setting it up. Button mapping utility keeps thinking its a keyboard.

I've updated the firmware and have the same issue.

If it can help, I match my SNES30 with START+R on the controller.

About the SNES30, yes, you have to hold Start+R to pair. Stupid step, but that's the only way you can get it to work.

You have to hold Start+R every time you turn on the controller too.

Anyone have any Amiga emulation experience on RetroPie? I haven't gotten it to work despite all sorts of fiddling. I can get a game disk to start loading, but neverf stop.

Hi everyone, first post here on Gaf and already a bragging post ;) I've been a long time lurker on this thread and now that I've finally been accepted I can show you my Pi2 bartop :

kV1H1Oe.jpg

Works with Retropie, my friends and kids love it !

doodledude

Neo Member
Hi everyone, first post here on Gaf and already a bragging post ;) I've been a long time lurker on this thread and now that I've finally been accepted I can show you my Pi2 bartop :

kV1H1Oe.jpg

That's a beautiful looking setup, how long did it take you to build that?

d58e7

Is there a way to configure a wii u pro controller for 4 players with a mayflash adapter running in dinput? It works fine in xinput but that only allows one controller synced at a time as far as I can tell.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

kV1H1Oe.jpg

Beautiful job!

God DAMN that bartop is beautiful. Did you make a build log of that thing? Curious to see what the process was.
Wish I documented it better than I actually did. Took some pics with my phone but nothing groundbraking. All I can say is that I've got no building skills at all, but I've planned my process pretty well. I spent a lot of time on forums, drew mindmaps and made my plans and designs on Illustrator (I'm a designer). Actually the hardest part for me was configuring the Pi since I never touched one of these damn things before ;).
Anyway thanks for the awesome feedback guys, makes it all the more rewarding !

Agreed. One of my coworkers recently bought a cnc cutter and I'm feeling the itch for a pincab...
But at the time I had to build my cab with such a ridiculously low budget that outsourcing anything except the stickers wasn't even an option.

dperrin

kV1H1Oe.jpg

Looks fantastic! I've also been building one slowly during my kids naps. Lol

T-Matt

Agreed. One of my coworkers recently bought a cnc cutter and I'm feeling the itch for a pincab...
But at the time I had to build my cab with such a ridiculously low budget that outsourcing anything except the stickers wasn't even an option.

Low budget? Even more respect for it turning out so nice. The quality looks like a bartop you would buy for a high price.
What size monitor is in there?

Low budget, but still a budget ;) I didn't want to half-ass it nonetheless. The screen is a 19" tft, which is pretty nice but l wish it had a better viewing angle.

Seik

Banned
I don't know if it's specifically the model 3 (compared to my model 2) or the newer version of Retropie on it...or (probably the most important) me starting to play with the drivers, playing with Glide64 instead of the default one that is Rice I think? But holy shit many N64 games work almost perfectly now! I played Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie, SM64, Rayman 2, Diddy Kong Racing, Zelda OoT (but the pause menu is fucked up a bit).

Sure many games still perform terribly or crashes after a while, but man, it's getting there!

Also, that Popeye cabinet is a thing of dreams, absolutely impeccable, I love it!!!

I don't know if it's specifically the model 3 (compared to my model 2) or the newer version of Retropie on it...or (probably the most important) me starting to play with the drivers, playing with Glide64 instead of the default one that is Rice I think? But holy shit many N64 games work almost perfectly now! I played Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie, SM64, Rayman 2, Diddy Kong Racing, Zelda OoT (but the pause menu is fucked up a bit).

Sure many games still perform terribly or crashes after a while, but man, it's getting there!

Also, that Popeye cabinet is a thing of dreams, absolutely impeccable, I love it!!!
Yeah, playing with plugins is the most important thing with n64 emus. Often it's a matter of either great performance or unplayable depending of which one you choose. But a lot of time with my pi2 performance was average, so I guess the pi3 has that sufficient power boost to run those games much better.

How's performance with Dreamcast on the pi3?

And thanks for the bartop, appreciate !

anx10us

Banned

kV1H1Oe.jpg

I have to say that looks amazing, any chance you can share plans and/or graphics ? I built a full size "Fix It Felix Jr" a while ago, so I know how hard these things can be, the thing that makes it is the t-molding, proper curves and really good artwork, looks very professional.

Well Done ...

GG-Duo

What do you guys use to copy the Retropie Disk Image to the MicroSD card from a Mac?

I'd prefer not putting my root password just to do that.

I came across a raspberry pie B which I think is the version 1. I installed retro pie which runs fine, but it's strange that Genesis games run full speed but nes and snes are stuttering, I've read that I might be using a under amped power supply which could be the issue or my usb pad might be eating cycles. Should nes Mario bros and Zelda lttp run full speed by default?

Clearos

Stumbled onto this thread and now really interested in getting back into retro gaming. Sorry if posted but I couldn't find the answer.

How does the Pi 3 handle PSP and Mame? I saw it handles PS1 well and did a google search but could not get a reliable answer on these 2.

Stumbled onto this thread and now really interested in getting back into retro gaming. Sorry if posted but I couldn't find the answer.

How does the Pi 3 handle PSP and Mame? I saw it handles PS1 well and did a google search but could not get a reliable answer on these 2.

Not sure about PSP, but Mame runs great on a Pi2

Orayn

I got my Pi 3 yesterday, installed RetroPie, and hooked it up to my SDTV via composite. Any suggested settings for render resolution, integer vs. non-integer scaling, etc.?

640x480 has a lot of flicker, 320x240 has some chunky scaling artifacts. My TV does have composite input, so maybe I could try that via HDMI to composite adapter?

psylah

PSP is really hit or miss.

Here is a compatability list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Gh9xLHny-qL-PSWqvY7F80Y90/edit#gid=2057221715
(Check the tabs down bottom)

I tried playing some DJ Max, and it ran at about 20 fps and the timing was way off, so nearly unplayable.

Card Boy

Banned
Might have to wait for the Pi 4 for PSP stuff.

Lakka.TV got a major release

This new major release of Lakka brings a lot of changes on the graphical interface, as well as a better integration of RetroArch with the underlaying OS.

The list of change is huge, and this time it is a real step forward in term of user friendlyness.

Animated menu background

ribbon.png

I’ve been playing with shaders, and we managed to integrate two animated backgrounds in RetroArch. One of these doesn’t work yet on OpenGL ES, and will fallback to the previous one. You can switch between those animations or disable them to show the wallpaper from the Menu Settings.

Icons and text shadows have also been added. They can be disabled from the Menu Settings. Note they can cause FPS drops in the menu on Raspberry Pi.

Thumbnails: Boxart, screenshots, and more

thumbnails.png

A lot of work has been done on the boxart front. There is now a Thumbnails Updater entry in the menu, to download per-system thumbnail packs.

Once donwloaded, thumbnails will display in the bottom right corner of your screen.

There are 3 types of thumbnails, and you can switch over those either in the Menu Settings or by using the Y Button (left) of the RetroPad.

You can find more information about this on our wiki

Icon theme switching

A new icon theme called RetroActive created by Chad Margetts is now included. You can switch to this new theme in the Menu Settings.

retroactive.png

This new menu setting also ease theme creation. If you are a designer, you may want to create your own theme.

Integration with the OS

audio_device.png

Our contributor gouchi added the ability to switch the audio device directly from the Audio Settings. This new feature is important on PC, where the HDMI audio is not always the default output.

Audio device

We also added a Service Settings group in the menu. From there, you can enable or disable services like SSH, SAMBA, or Bluetooth.

services.png

Bluetooth DualShock 3

The famous PS3 game controller is now easier to use in Lakka. You can now use it wirelessly over bluetooth without having to go through that complex command line pairing anymore. Just enable bluetooth in the services, plug your controller once, wait a few seconds and unplug it. It should automatically pair and control the menu and play games.

We also added support for chinese clones of the Shanwan familly. The Gasia clones are still a work in progress.

FBA Arcade scanning

fba_scanning.png

You can now generate a playlist of your arcade games from the menu, using the regular Scan Directory method. It works for FBA, not yet for MAME. We support the FBA ROMset v0.2.97.38.

Minor changes

Cuboxi and Hummingboard builds are no longer broken
RetroArch and libretro cores updated
Bluetooth and WiFi working on RPi3
Database updated (to no-intro 2016-03)

Gamegirl

gamegirl.jpg

The tiny handheld project has made nice progress since our last article.

We got a partnership with 8bitdo, the famous controller brand. They are going to take care of the buttons and the case. With them on the board, we can be sure that the product will be good ergonomically.

That Gamegirl will be good purely because of the 8bitdo partnership so you know it won't have shit buttons.

Top Bottom