• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi Gaming thread - Cheap emulation and gaming projects

3rdman

I got it working perfectly...In the event that someone stumbles onto the same problem. The symlink didn't work until the /home/pi/RetroPie/roms folder is copied exactly so before symlinking, you have to "move" the roms folder from the SD card to your external HDD/USB.

mv /home/pi/RetroPie/roms /media/usb0

After that, you can symlink them...

ln -s /media/usb0/roms /home/pi/RetroPie/roms

You should then be able to access the roms file via Samba or wifi or simply disconnect it and move it to your PC. I should share that I found the solution at http://news-2016.ga/n/RetroPie/comments/4aus0d/easy_script_to_change_all_rom_paths/?ref=readnext_4

This must seem very obvious to many here but I was really struggling trying to figure it out. Thanks to all!

3rdman

Any tips on getting a vertical game, like Q*Bert or Pacman to run at a proper (not squashed) aspect ratio?

What are you running? If you are on RetroPie, hit F1 to access Retroarch controls...from there, you can access aspect ratios...if you are using something else, no idea...

3rdman

I promised to share when it was done...here she is.
2hFRCHF.jpg

I've been thinking about getting one of those kits on eBay too for building a bartop since I don't have a garage to work on this thing. Anybody else start out life with one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Table-or-Ba...51884bb&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=1&sd=281902122599

I got mine from Game Room Solutions I needed the sticks and buttons and he has someone that does the printing for the side are and Marquee. I wanted an all-in-one and was happy with it.

3rdman

http://www.infinityarcades.com/arcade-artwork-decal-sets/back-to-the-future-bartop-artwork-set

http://www.arcadeartlibrary.com/arcade_art/

http://www.gameongrafix.com

The last one can produce your artwork...What's nice about the kits you reference above is that their dimensions seem to be a standard and you can find all types of premade art for it.

You can also create custom artwork and have them printed at Kinkos...just ask for a "adhesive vinyl" but its a special order. I'm sure there are more places out there and please don't assume I know what I'm talking about. :p

sp3ctr3

I'm thinking about building a machine again. Will be SO much easier now with the Pi.

I built this a couple a years ago with a full size pc inside
IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG

Gamble

I may have to take a trip to microcenter, I had no idea they sold them....the nearest one to me is only about an hour away so this would be worth the drive

awwww yeay~!!!

13117830_1082208015159465_283146726_n.jpg

went the Microcenter route.

first of all, it's been hella long since I been into microcenter, and I'm rather disappointed that their gaming section no longer carries psx and ps2 games,

but secondly... the device was on sale for only $30! That's $5+shipping less than everywhere else and like $12 off the amazon price!

still need a power cable, case, sdcard, and heatsinks for it... (which ultimately together cost more than the device itself lol)

I'll pick those up next week but for now I'm happy I got a good deal on the unit!

kikonawa

awwww yeay~!!!

13117830_1082208015159465_283146726_n.jpg

went the Microcenter route.

first of all, it's been hella long since I been into microcenter, and I'm rather disappointed that their gaming section no longer carries psx and ps2 games,

but secondly... the device was on sale for only $30! That's $5+shipping less than everywhere else and like $12 off the amazon price!

still need a power cable, case, sdcard, and heatsinks for it... (which ultimately together cost more than the device itself lol)

I'll pick those up next week but for now I'm happy I got a good deal on the unit!

if you have a spare phone charger, you are good to go.. you dont need necessarily a case also, you can go as cheap as you want.my case cost 3 dollar from china
and forget about heatsinks , you dont need those (you get them together with most cases btw)

Also went to Micro Center.

Got myself a Pi Zero (which I'm most excited to use) and a Pi 3. Total: $35.

I don't know what I want to do with them. Build a mini handheld? Put a Pi in my TV? But first I want to do some tests to see how strong the Pi Zero really is.

To be honest, I'm uninterested in building a cool arcade cabinet like the ones above. My rationale is, why buy a tiny little Raspberry Pi to stuff in a big cabinet? I might as well go the PC route and get something like a mini computer (which is like an Intel NUC, but much cheaper) and get enough power to run even Dolphin and whatnot. Not to say it's a bad idea (those are some awesome cabinets) but it's not for me.

I'm guessing everyone here is using the preempt_rt kernel? Which OS?

I may have to take a trip to microcenter, I had no idea they sold them....the nearest one to me is only about an hour away so this would be worth the drive

Check that your Micro Center has it in stock first, especially if you want the Zero. Here's the link for the 3:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/460968/Raspberry_Pi_3_Model_B

Go there, select your store, and it'll tell you if it's in stock and how many there are.

For what it's worth, the site said my store had 5 Pi Zero systems left, but the stock worker gave me the box containing all their Zero systems to bring to the checkout counter, and it had only three in it.

psylah

if you have a spare phone charger, you are good to go.. you dont need necessarily a case also, you can go as cheap as you want.my case cost 3 dollar from china
and forget about heatsinks , you dont need those (you get them together with most cases btw)

For the 3, you'll want the proper amount of power, otherwise you'll get the rainbow square in the upper right hand corner of the screen during heavy processing, indicating that it doesn't have enough power. I think a 5v, 2.4a is suggested.

Gamble

Also went to Micro Center.

Got myself a Pi Zero (which I'm most excited to use) and a Pi 3. Total: $35.

I don't know what I want to do with them. Build a mini handheld? Put a Pi in my TV? But first I want to do some tests to see how strong the Pi Zero really is.

To be honest, I'm uninterested in building a cool arcade cabinet like the ones above. My rationale is, why buy a tiny little Raspberry Pi to stuff in a big cabinet? I might as well go the PC route and get something like a mini computer (which is like an Intel NUC, but much cheaper) and get enough power to run even Dolphin and whatnot. Not to say it's a bad idea (those are some awesome cabinets) but it's not for me.

I'm guessing everyone here is using the preempt_rt kernel? Which OS?

Check that your Micro Center has it in stock first, especially if you want the Zero. Here's the link for the 3:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/460968/Raspberry_Pi_3_Model_B

Go there, select your store, and it'll tell you if it's in stock and how many there are.

For what it's worth, the site said my store had 5 Pi Zero systems left, but the stock worker gave me the box containing all their Zero systems to bring to the checkout counter, and it had only three in it.

Cool thanks for the tip, I won't be doing anything massive with mine. I'll get one for retro gaming and one for movies most likely

3rdman

Oh nice, went with American-style bat-top and concave Happ-style buttons. Me likey.

Thank you! I should have mentioned that I was trying to emulate the old Pole Position cabinet...I think I got pretty close but I was a bit lost as to what to do at the front of the machine.
11812421524.jpg

ScOULaris

So if I decide to update to Retropie 3.7 via the built-in updater, what will be overwritten in terms of configs and settings?

I'm gonna err on the safe side either way and back up my SD image before updating, but I'm just curious so I know what to look out for.

On my current setup I have some custom themes, tons of game art and metadata, and a few config tweaks that I've made on a per-emulator basis for controls and graphics settings. Will any of that have to be redone after the update since it will kick all emulator configs back to their default state?

So if I decide to update to Retropie 3.7 via the built-in updater, what will be overwritten in terms of configs and settings?

I'm gonna err on the safe side either way and back up my SD image before updating, but I'm just curious so I know what to look out for.

On my current setup I have some custom themes, tons of game art and metadata, and a few config tweaks that I've made on a per-emulator basis for controls and graphics settings. Will any of that have to be redone after the update since it will kick all emulator configs back to their default state?

You shouldn't lose anything. I didn't when I did the update. Your mileage may vary, of course. Someone I told that to earlier a few posts back said he lost everything when doing the update. I know one time when I did the update before it broke my Pi. I wish it was more consistent.

3rdman

Fair warning! The 3.7 update changes the way metadata is saved...because people were complaining that they were forgetting to save the scraped data, they've now made it so that every time you shut down or exit Emulation Station, it will re-write everything to the database...every time.

If you have a lot of roms (like me), the shutdown took longer than an hour to do...I was forced to delete all scraped data and images just to be bearable.

So I'm finishing my Retropie for Raspberry Pi Zero project, and wow, I must say, I'm impressed at what the Zero can do! I pretty much got every classic system to run perfect on it. Some arcade games had to be deleted due to sound and speed issues, and of course it can't handle the N64, but everything else, it did wonderful!

I do want to point out that the Zero doesn't seem to handle Libretro well for arcade or Neo Geo games. Best to use MAME4ALL, AdvanceMAME, and PiFBA.

I did buy some cheap controllers for the Zero and oddly the controller has different button configurations than the iBuffalo, but I eventually got them working.

ScOULaris

Fair warning! The 3.7 update changes the way metadata is saved...because people were complaining that they were forgetting to save the scraped data, they've now made it so that every time you shut down or exit Emulation Station, it will re-write everything to the database...every time.

If you have a lot of roms (like me), the shutdown took longer than an hour to do...I was forced to delete all scraped data and images just to be bearable.

Huh? Fuuuck that then. I'll stick with my current setup.

oracrest

Hey all! I was just at a maker faire and bought a raspberry pi 3 from a vendor. I intend to research some more, but wanted to ask here for some general advice and suggestions. I'd like to do a simple MAME/console gaming setup. I have an old PS2 street fighter fight stick (the anniversary boxy one) and also an icade cabinet.

I was thinking an arcade stick that could be plugged into a TV would be cool, or even a small self contained arcade cab. With a self contained unit, what works best for the screen part? And any other general advice for going after one of these two setups? Thanks GAF!

I'm looking forward to jumping into this kind of thing, but have very limited experience with modding and electrical stuff.

Just got a Pi and am planning to make it an emulator box for the TV in my living room.

Any suggestions for controllers? I'm planning on using a PS3 controller unless there's a better general use controller. Someday I may get arcade style controls, but I figure that's a ways off and would go along with a read cabinet.

Card Boy

Banned
Just got a Pi and am planning to make it an emulator box for the TV in my living room.

Any suggestions for controllers? I'm planning on using a PS3 controller unless there's a better general use controller. Someday I may get arcade style controls, but I figure that's a ways off and would go along with a read cabinet.

8bitdo NES30 Pro.

So I got RetroPie set up, but it thinks my Keyboard is the default controller for MAME. How do I get it to use the sticks instead?

EDIT: went into the he file and deleted the keyboard entry.

Datschge

Now that the Pi 3 supports 64bit I wonder if Valve will release SteamOS on it? Maybe for the Pi 4 next year I hope.
64bit doesn't make any difference, Pi 4 won't either. All games on Steam are done to run on x86/x64 systems, Pi is ARM based. If SteamOS were to release for Pi the store would be empty at the beginning. Running Android on Pi is more feasible.

You notice it if you have a lot of scraped games...it takes forever. There is an option to turn it off on exit but of course nothing would be updated if u make a change.

I have....a lot of scraped games on my Pie. Let's say, it's a a lot. And they are all scraped. I haven't had this issue.

Personally I like the 8Bitdo SNES30. It's got all the buttons I need for the systems that I'm using. I have no need for the analog sticks and extra shoulder buttons. I have N64 controllers for those games. I guess if you're wanting to emulate PS1 games then the NES30 would be great, but SNES30 worked best for me and my needs.

So I got RetroPie set up, but it thinks my Keyboard is the default controller for MAME. How do I get it to use the sticks instead?

EDIT: went into the he file and deleted the keyboard entry.

Yeah, I MAME4ALL and AdvanceMAME like the keyboard controls but this can be easily fixed. If you are able, check into the Libretro versions of MAME4ALL and AdvanceMAME (Called lbr-mame2003).

3rdman

I have....a lot of scraped games on my Pie. Let's say, it's a a lot. And they are all scraped. I haven't had this issue.

I don't proclaim to be an expert...Until last month, I've never touched a Pi before so forgive me if I am incorrect on this point.

However in my experience, I scraped many roms and the end result was a 1+ hour shutdown. Deleting the scraped data solved my problem. I also followed the instructions below that (1) confirm the issue and (2) shows how to work around it.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/FAQ#why-does-shut-down-and-reboot-take-ages

JEKKI

awww yeay! I am not having a good day today! 7am meeting + long azz day at work = no more energy left for the evening...

so instead of going out for the evening I took the free time to finally set this thing up...

and it's really nice!!! I like the retropie a lot!!

I'm using the USB saturn pad so didnt wanna test out any snes stuff; but playing genesis and NES games works like a charm!

only gripe so far is the sound volume, but I'm sure I'll try to rectify it either by speakers/headphones, or by actually turning the volume up on my monitor or device itself.

other than that; the overall install was easy following a youtube tutorial! rom copying is easy once I hooked the device up to wifi,

I'm sure there's so much more to learn and I'm glad & excited to be a part of this!

-EDIT-

but also, why's the device itself so hard to remove from the case >_< lol

I'm afraid I'm gonna break it

Erekiddo

Has anyone paired an 8bitdo SNES30 with a Pi 3 over Bluetooth? I'm having a hell of a time setting it up. Button mapping utility keeps thinking its a keyboard.

I've updated the firmware and have the same issue.

JEKKI

Why are you removing it from the case?
becoz it's fun! becoz I wanna tinker with the thing like it's an autobot! lol.

anywayz, I think I ran into my first problem! help!

I need trouble shooting with Trouble Shooter lol.

I wanna play the game Trouble Shooter for the sega! it's a cool game!

except it doesnt run very well on the retropie. 2 problems:

first problem is sound... the sound of the gun is so overbearing and drowns out all the other sound!

second problem is button mapping... the genesis controller has 4 buttons (3 + start) and the game maps two buttons together for some reason...

so the turn around and pause are mapped together, so the game pauses every time I wanna turn around,

and the shoot and bomb button are mapped together, so I cannot charge or save up bombs unless I stop shooting!

I loaded the rom into another emulator (picodrive on my PSP) and the game works perfectly, no sound or control issues, so it's not the rom's problem.

anybody know how to fix this? Is there a menu or individual configuration I can do to make this one particular game play without problems?

Has anybody experienced similar problems on other games they want to play? Like, is this a common issue, or one just isolated to this single ironically titled game?

Seik

Banned
Anyone had problems detecting their Pi on their network via router using Windows 10?

I could see it automatically with 7 IIRC, now I'm tinkling with the network configs since like half and hour and can't manage to get the damn thing detected. :(

Anyone had problems detecting their Pi on their network via router using Windows 10?

I could see it automatically with 7 IIRC, now I'm tinkling with the network configs since like half and hour and can't manage to get the damn thing detected. :(

So you mean to see/use files on the Pi or just to be able to use the raspberrypi hostname?

Seik

Banned
So you mean to see/use files on the Pi or just to be able to use the raspberrypi hostname?

I want to transfer my ROMs files from my PC to my Pi just like I did back then, my network had no problem detecting it but now I tried a lot of stuff and still didn't manage to see it anywere...I'll try later today on my GF's laptop that still is on W7, hopefully it'll work...

anx10us

Banned
I want to transfer my ROMs files from my PC to my Pi just like I did back then, my network had no problem detecting it but now I tried a lot of stuff and still didn't manage to see it anywere...I'll try later today on my GF's laptop that still is on W7, hopefully it'll work...

Just connect to the IP address instead, you may have some DNS resolution issues locally, go into retropie menu, there is an option to check ip address. Once you know what it is, open explorer \\192.168.2.xxx and hit enter, (obviously replacing this with your IP)

Top Bottom