• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Raspberry Pi Gaming thread - Cheap emulation and gaming projects

I wonder what they added, then... wifi would have been great but I can understand not adding that to a £4 computer, it would raise the price.

Retropie 3.7 has been released.

We are pleased to announce the release of RetroPie 3.7!

MystCover

We are releasing RetroPie 3.7 in celebration of the release of our new website https://retropie.org.uk/ and new forum at https://retropie.org.uk/forum/.

Many experimental modules have been added. An option was added to easily install the LXDE desktop environment onto the pi (which can be launched from the ports menu after install), and thanks to the work of Pipplware we have been able to finally include joypad support with Kodi (controller configurations for kodi still need to be done manually for now) . We also have improvements to the configuration editor, and updates to some emulators.

Please note that configuration locations for ports have moved to /opt/retropie/configs/ports – if upgrading via the RetroPie-Setup script, old configurations will be moved when doing a full binary install.

The default render resolution for libretro emulators is now the video output resolution on the RPI 2/3. This can be lowered via the runcommand launch menu, or set globally via the configuration editor if needed for performance. Default render resolution is 640×480 for the RPI zero/1, but again can be switched globally, or on a per system basis.

The “Direct Launch” functionality was removed from Emulation Station due to stability issues – Kodi will appear in “Ports” if installing from the experimental menu.

It can be downloaded here: https://retropie.org.uk/download/

Installation Instructions can be found here – https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/First-Installation.

The Prebuilt images are also available at GitHub – https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/releases/tag/3.7. You can also install RetroPie on top of an existing Raspbian set up – Instructions can be found at the GitHub project site.

Changes since 3.6:
-Added new experimental modules:
-The Ur Quan Masters (Port of DOS game Star Control 2).
-Xrick (Port of Rick Dangerous).
-Tyrquake (Standalone, not libretro).
-Solarus Engine (Homebrew Zelda Clone).
-SDLPoP (Prince of Persia Port).
-Cannonball (Outrun Engine).
-Stratagus (Warcraft and Starcraft Engine).
-OpenBOR (Beats of Rage 2d Sidescrolling Game Engine).
-Commander Genius (Port of Commander Keen).
-Micropolis (Open source version of Sim City Classic).
-Aleph One (Open Source port of Marathon Series).
-Giana’s Return (Fan-Made sequel to the Giana Sisters).
-Lincity (Sim City Clone).
-Simcoupe (SAM Coupé Emulator).
-LXDE Desktop (Option in raspi-tools to reinstall the desktop environment).
-Updated Kodi to Kodi 16 (which includes joypad support).
-Updated PS3 Module (timeout fixed).
-SDL2 PS3/Wii U Pro controller fixes.
-UAE4Arm updated.
-lr-mame2003 updated with sample/nvram support and additional core settings.
-Mupen64plus updated with fix for black screen with rice plugin.
-Scummvm Improvements (updated to 1.8 with OpenGL and partial Myst support).
-Updated Config Editor (https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Configuration-Editor).
-Updated Carbon and Pixel Themes and added default images to the RetroPie Menu.
-Added “Other Settings” menu to Emulationstation with “save metadata on exit” and “parse gamelists only”. These options were added to mitigate the long boot and shutdown times with large romsets.
-Various other improvements and fixes.

Thanks to BuZz, Gizmo98, Herb, Rookervik and Zerojay and all others that have contributed to this release.

Koren

Indeed, I have an old Gameboy but cant get a zero anywhere for love nor money ;-(
I don't want to destroy my old consoles for this, and I'm reluctant to use second-hand market for this.

I would pay a lot for just a comfortable (empty) shell. Bonus if it had buttons and a good Dpad. I considered GBA shells, but it's a bit small for this kind of project.

Too bad 3D printers still produce shitty surfaces :/

Akoi

3.7! Yay! Something to do when I get home!

I hope that ps3 thing means ps3 controllers on the built in Bluetooth on my RPI 3 no longer causes it to freeze randomly when I use them.

Rich!

So, just wondering.

How much would you guys say my SNES Pi console would be worth if I sold it?

Not got any photos to hand but I posted it before. Pi2 b stationed in a PAL SNES case. Retropie 3.5. Support for real SNES pads via the front ports. Power switch works to turn it on/off. Blue LED. 16gb+32GB storage. USB socket mounted under the Ext panel at the bottom. HDMI, Aux audio and mini USB sockets flush mounted on the panel at the back.

WiFi and Bluetooth set up. Console in immaculate condition.

Just curious really.

Seik

Banned
Question..just like that, if anyone knows:

Can a raspberry Pi properly emulate virtual pinball machines?

I thought about doing a wooden living room table with screen in it and a glass on top with two buttons on the side. Just wondered if such project could be possible with it. :p

Card Boy

Banned
Raspberry Pi 3 Starter kit for $54.50USD. Add another $5.50 for the Official Case.

Apply code ITEAD5fs to get $5 off & free shipping. Make sure you select free shipping in shipping method.

Pack Includes

• 1x Raspberry Pi 3 (RPi3) Model B
  • 1x High Quality Micro-usb Cable, (easily change phone chargers into raspberry pi charger)
  • 1x 16GB Micro-sd Card
  • 1x 0.75M HDMI cable
  • 1x Heat Sink
  • 1x USB Serial to TTL(Foca Pro)
  • 1x 300mm 4 Color Dupont Wire Pack(20pcs)
Taken from Ozbargain

Direct link to site is https://www.itead.cc/raspberry-pi-pack.html

anx10us

Banned
So, just wondering.

Not got any photos to hand but I posted it before. Pi2 b stationed in a PAL SNES case. Retropie 3.5. Support for real SNES pads via the front ports. Power switch works to turn it on/off. Blue LED. 16gb+32GB storage. USB socket mounted under the Ext panel at the bottom. HDMI, Aux audio and mini USB sockets flush mounted on the panel at the back.

Just curious really.

Good question, for the right person who appreciates the workmanship and retro look £120 maybe ? Parts alone I suspect are £80, i've done the same, I would love the answer to be £200 ;-) You thinking of starting a hobby business ? ;-)

Question..just like that, if anyone knows:

Can a raspberry Pi properly emulate virtual pinball machines?

I thought about doing a wooden living room table with screen in it and a glass on top with two buttons on the side. Just wondered if such project could be possible with it. :p

At a guess the RPi won't be powerful enough for Visual Pinball, you'll need a pretty good PC as its pretty intensive 3D work ..

Tregard

Soothsayer
So, just wondering.

Just curious really.

Could you potentially get some pictures? It's something I may potentially be interested in!

Rich!

Could you potentially get some pictures? It's something I may potentially be interested in!

Sure

Back panel has had a 3.5mm jack added since this photo was taken, and I haven't shown the USB socket on the base.

5htsjx.jpg

9gjnaaqnurm-qy3f5l6a2cnsnu.jpg

spacers9es9f.jpg

1hosrk.jpg

Can I ask what are people using for control pads?
Also any suggestions for a Touch Screen and do I need to do a lot of soldering for that?

Want one under the TV but wouldn't mind trying to make a portable one for my nephew

For me, actual SNES pads and an 8bitdo SNES30 Bluetooth pad

I love your SNES. Have a Mega Drive gathering dust so very tempted to try see what I could do if I practice a bit first.

A question I have is over the Roms for the games. Are we allowed to discuss where to get these from or is that a big no? Don't want to get banned

KaidoRacer7

I don't even know what that switch on the back is for, so I'm not sure about compatibility.

It's for the physical digital pad works as left stick (LS), digital pad (DP) or right stick (RS). You dont have to change the switch for retropie menus to emulators, right?

psylah

It's for the physical digital pad works as left stick (LS), digital pad (DP) or right stick (RS). You dont have to change the switch for retropie menus to emulators, right?

Nope, It works in the main menus, the setup menus, and the emulators.

It might just be set to DP though, I've never changed that switch to play anything.

cRIPticon

I love your SNES. Have a Mega Drive gathering dust so very tempted to try see what I could do if I practice a bit first.

A question I have is over the Roms for the games. Are we allowed to discuss where to get these from or is that a big no? Don't want to get banned

Sell your working MD on eBay first and then buy a broken one to do the project with. Don't destroy a working system, sell it to someone who would use it!

Man, that's one of the reasons I haven't gotten started on my Pi-Super Famicom. I went to Japan and everything but could NOT find a broken one, and couldn't bring myself to wreck a perfectly-functioning unit. Haha.

Shaneus

Sell your working MD on eBay first and then buy a broken one to do the project with. Don't destroy a working system, sell it to someone who would use it!
Either that, or buy one of those super shitty emulator consoles that can't do sound or graphics properly... I forget who makes them. But then you'd have a cartridge, controller slots and everything to work with, without the guilt of destroying a glorious console.

Card Boy

Banned
I got just this baby for free from IBM as part of a 'developer' program (Emulation counts right?)

h162b1K.jpg

Since the PS3 bluetooth is crashing my Pi3 (haven't updated yet) I am using one of these via USB:

PS3-A1097-2.jpg

Works great.

I got the 360 version and it doesn't pick up the RT or LT buttons. I haven't tried on the Pi 3.

Seik

Banned
Just cracked and bought a Pi 3 on Ebay for 60$ CAD with a more quality case than my Pi 2 for an extra 10 bucks.

I can't wait to test it out, seems like a legit upgrade from the Pi 2.

psylah

I got just this baby for free from IBM as part of a 'developer' program (Emulation counts right?)

h162b1K.jpg

I got the 360 version and it doesn't pick up the RT or LT buttons. I haven't tried on the Pi 3.

Have had no problems with mine, I play Wipeout on it (using shoulders for airbrakes).

I thought it was pretty awesome how I talked to multiple people in Best Buy this week and they all knew what a Pi was and three of them owned one.

psylah

How easy would it be to talk a Microcenter person into selling me multiple Pi Zeros?

The closest place with them in stock is like an hour away, it wouldn't be worth the drive unless I could get about 20 of em.

Rich!

How easy would it be to talk a Microcenter person into selling me multiple Pi Zeros?

The closest place with them in stock is like an hour away, it wouldn't be worth the drive unless I could get about 20 of em.

Why? If you're planning on selling them to make a profit without being an official distributor, you are basically the reason I can't bloody find one.

psylah

Why? If you're planning on selling them to make a profit without being an official distributor, you are basically the reason I can't bloody find one.

I'd have to sell just the boards. You do realize the reason you can barely find just a board is because said distributors take most of their allotment and bundle it in with cables and crap for $30+?

Same thing for the Raspberry Pi 3, you couldn't find the unit alone for $35, but you sure as hell could find 60 or 70 dollar bundles at their partnered distributors.

In the meantime, this Microcenter has an undetermined stock of Zeros, for $5, but a 1 per customer policy, and won't ship them. They'll gladly ship you a 20 or 30 dollar bundle, though.

muteki

Thanks to this thread, picked up a Pi 3 + odds and ends with some b-day money for a simple dedicated retro machine I have been wanting for a while. This weekend should be fun.

I got a Buffalo SFC controller, I have been wanting an 8bitdo for a while but can't spare the extra right now/don't really want to fiddle with bluetooth atm. There are only a handful of games I'm interested in playing on it and nothing really graphics intensive, so hope it goes well.

I'm glad to see this thread pop up, as I've basically given up on my Pi.

Had it working perfectly with a PS3 controller awhile back, then, updated to Jessie, nabbed an 8bitDo NESPro 30. Can't, for the life of me, get it to work in emulation, though navigation through Emulation Station is fine.

Said "fuck it, I'll use my 360 controller", and it won't recognize the right bumper. So, it sits next to my PC. I think I'll make some time for it in the coming weeks, but right now, it's neglected.

If anyone has any tips on getting a NESPro 30 to work that they can share, help would be much appreciated. It's such a sexy controller.

Delicious thread !
how much power this kit have for playing modern 3D games starting Fifth generation machines and above ?

i got a pc for gaming so i wont suffer from any performance drawback , but something cheap and tiny that gets the same job done for this price is more appealing -specially with supporting official controllers- even though i'm a collector but some prices are unbearable, so this little box seems magical !

psylah

Delicious thread !
how much power this kit have for playing modern 3D games starting Fifth generation machines and above ?

i got a pc for gaming so i wont suffer from any performance drawback , but something cheap and tiny that gets the same job done for this price is more appealing -specially with supporting official controllers- even though i'm a collector but some prices are unbearable, so this little box seems magical !

Playstation runs smooth, hard to tell it's even emulated when I am playing Wipeout 3.

I hear N64 still has trouble.

Dreamcast gives me lots of slowdown. Ikaruga is playable, but with lots of chugging at parts.

Honestly I'd emulate up to PS1 and stop there.

Card Boy

Banned
Playstation runs smooth, hard to tell it's even emulated when I am playing Wipeout 3.

Dreamcast gives me lots of slowdown. Ikaruga is playable, but with lots of chugging at parts.

Yeah up to PS1 works perfectly outside the fact you can't change multidisc games yet unless you rename save files.

Give it a year and I think the Pi 4 might be able to play PSP, Dreamcast and PS2 era games.

Shaneus

Is that running at original resolution or upscaled? I'd be happy with PS1 emulation at original resolution, as long as something like scanlines can be applied.

Card Boy

Banned
I have updated the OP abit and included some of your projects. petRockBlock is not the official site for RetroPie anymore, they came out with an Official domain at the start of this month at https://www.retropie.org.uk/.

Also how does Shenmue run on the DC emulator on Raspberry Pi 3 and can you disc switch?

Top Bottom