• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom cuts content (local co-op) from PC version of Revelations 2.

Jawmuncher

Getting a lot of this info from the steam thread on the matter. If anyone was thinking otherwise the lack of ghis feature was indeed added last minute.

http://i.imgur.com/MyTK1EZ.jpg

Which is what I know is upsetting people the most. Would have been different if they said outright no Splitscreen. But to lie on their page during the preorder period saying offline coop is just all kinds of wrong.

Arizato

From what I remember Resident Evil 5 did not have offline co-op on PC either. People modded that stuff in though and that will probably happen to this as well. Sad to see that modders have to fix the game though.

Jawmuncher

From what I remember Resident Evil 5 did not have offline co-op on PC either. People modded that stuff in though and that will probably happen to this as well. Sad to see that modders have to fix the game though.

I asked the creator of the mod if it's something he'll look into.

Jawmuncher

Eurogamer is running it
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...sident-evil-revelations-2-on-pc?page=comments

If not read earlier this was Capcoms Response
The PC version of Resident Evil Revelations 2 supports a variety of customisable visual settings and resolutions. The decision to prioritise a single local screen was made to ensure a stable user experience across a variety of different PC settings and devices.
Raid mode will support online co-op shortly after launch when a free patch is available for players to download which adds this feature, but the main campaign on PC will only be available to play in single local screen.

This reasoning should have been stated Day 1. They still have not replied about lying on the page until the last minute.

Schlomo

I'm trying to get a refund because of this, as I was really looking forward to playing local co-op. Unfortunately I bought it from a 3rd party site (GamesRocket.de), so my chances probably are slim.

Jawmuncher

I'm trying to get a refund because of this, as I was really looking forward to playing local co-op. Unfortunately I bought it from a 3rd party site (GamesRocket.de), so my chances probably are slim.

Yeah this is the biggest issue with it.
This feature wasn't said to not be included, when they went and threw it up on other sites for purchase. By the time any of us found out it was too late unless you perhaps bought directly though steam. I've already contacted the BBB about this because of this.
If they said from the get go it wasn't there I would be disappointed but not mad. This was clear false advertising.

-----

Got a email from Kotaku who is looking into it now.

Sectus

I'm gonna see if I can fix this. Progress so far (2P is still controlled by AI here):
069701D5DD0EEC6DB423994D4573046BBDF43E73

It's possible this might not to be difficult to pull off assuming things are handled the same way as in RE6 code-wise.

bomblord1

Banned
Forgive my ignorance but how would local co op work on a PC? 2 keyboards and mice? How does the PC decide which combo of keyboard/mouse belongs to which player?

Adnor

Banned
Forgive my ignorance but how would local co op work on a PC? 2 keyboards and mice? How does the PC decide which combo of keyboard/mouse belongs to which player?

I doubt you will be able to use 2 KB/M like in the SS series, but you would use 1 KB/M and a controller or two controllers.

Yeah, I was gonna buy this to play local coop with a friend, but fuck capcom for doing this. Even if a person mods it in, I'm not giving capcom money when they shouldn't be removing features in the first place.

You can use pretty much any usb gamepad on pc. Xbox, playstation and even Wii controllers work on pc.

Edit: beaten

Jawmuncher

I'm gonna see if I can fix this. Progress so far (2P is still controlled by AI here):

It's possible this might not to be difficult to pull off assuming things are handled the same way as in RE6 code-wise.

Sectus The God.
Doing what CapCant

Jawmuncher

Well that's definitely not true half my steam library doesn't have controller support

It depends. But newer stuff especially from the bigger devs have controller support. Can't think of the last multi platform game within the last few years that doesn't from a big developer/publisher.

Draft

Well that's definitely not true half my steam library doesn't have controller support. However, thank you for the answer.
I bet at least 50% of the games sold on Steam have some kind of native controller support. I bet at least a third of the games sold on Steam recognized an Xbox 360 controller immediately and switch to a controller interface automatically.

Sectus

More progress! Both players controlled by keyboard/mouse (the same keyboard/mouse that is):
FABC9869B5F613155C797BD370848C0AD962D416

The next step is the hardest step, because it's possible the PC version lacks the code for directing input from 2 different devices onto 2 different characters. Hopefully they didn't disable or remove that code.

bomblord1

Banned
pretty sure a PC can figure out which port a signal is coming from

I was imagining a scenario where each keyboard mouse was plugged into it's own USB port. Or, where they were all connected independently in some fashion. So in that scenario the computer has to decide which mouse goes with which keyboard.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I was imagining a scenario where each keyboard mouse was plugged into it's own USB port. Or, where they were all connected independently in some fashion. So in that scenario the computer has to decide which mouse goes with which keyboard.

worst case scenario, before coop you say "player one hit a key and click your mouse, now player two do the same thing"

it's the easiest imaginable problem to solve

Jawmuncher

More progress! Both players controlled by keyboard/mouse (the same keyboard/mouse that is):

The next step is the hardest step, because it's possible the PC version lacks the code for directing input from 2 different devices onto 2 different characters. Hopefully they didn't disable or remove that code.

Fingers Crossed!

Dr. Buni

Whats the reasoning behind this?

If you own a PS4 you are not going to buy it for a PC issue?
The reasoning seems quite obvious to me. You would be supporting the company the same way if you buy it on the PS4.

If one isn't happy with the way a game is being handled, the idea is to not buy it at all.

me0wish

Capcom Official statement,

The PC version of Resident Evil Revelations 2 supports a variety of customisable visual settings and resolutions. The decision to prioritise a single local screen was made to ensure a stable user experience across a variety of different PC settings and devices.

Raid mode will support online co-op shortly after launch when a free patch is available for players to download which adds this feature, but the main campaign on PC will only be available to play in single local screen.

Source: Eurogamer

Sectus, you plan on burning our computers by adding coop? Don't you know that each computer has "a variety of customisable visual settings and resolutions"? What are you plotting to ruin the "stable user experience across a variety of different PC settings and devices" Capcom worked so hard to provide?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

You're a cool ass dude. Awesome to see, and excited to see the end outcome - whatever it may be.

Capcom assumes that all PC gamers play by themselves (sans online) at their desks.
Which isn't far off, but still.

Thought processes like this is likely what prompted Capcom to remove it. YOU CAN STILL PLAY CO-OP GAMES AT YOUR PC! There are thing things called large format monitor and ultra wide monitors. You, the things that consoles can't use cause they are limited to a 16:9 ratio format.

Jawmuncher

It seems Capcom finally took notice :

"Dear RE fans,

We apologize to our Resident Evil Revelations 2 PC players who purchased the game and expected to have local co-op as a feature. The feature wasn’t intended for this version and that caveat was mistakenly omitted from the product description on the Steam page earlier, and then included as soon as we were made aware. This was an unintentional error and again, we apologize for the confusion this may have caused.

We are currently looking into the matter and potential solutions and we hope to have new information to share very soon, so please stay tuned. Thank you for your patience and understanding."

Lagamorph

Thought processes like this is likely what prompted Capcom to remove it. YOU CAN STILL PLAY CO-OP GAMES AT YOUR PC! There are thing things called large format monitor and ultra wide monitors. You, the things that consoles can't use cause they are limited to a 16:9 ratio format.
Not to mention the increasing popularity of hooking a PC up to a living room TV.

me0wish

It seems Capcom finally took notice :

"Dear RE fans,

We apologize to our Resident Evil Revelations 2 PC players who purchased the game and expected to have local co-op as a feature. The feature wasn’t intended for this version and that caveat was mistakenly omitted from the product description on the Steam page earlier, and then included as soon as we were made aware. This was an unintentional error and again, we apologize for the confusion this may have caused.

We are currently looking into the matter and potential solutions and we hope to have new information to share very soon, so please stay tuned. Thank you for your patience and understanding."

Well, hopefully they patch in coop and patch out the horrible random frame rate drop.

Top Bottom