• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Black Lightning’ Drama Eyes Move To the CW To Join Greg Berlanti Comic Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

Didn't even wait for sagging ratings on FOX.

I’ve learned that Black Lightning, the high-profile drama based on the DC character, which had a big production commitment at Fox, is on the move and likely to land at the CW. The project comes from Greg Berlanti, king of the CW’s DC universe, The Game and Being Mary Jane creator Mara Brock Akil and her husband Salim Akil. Discussions are still underway but I hear the drama would likely get a pilot order.

http://deadline.com/2017/02/black-lightning-dc-comic-drama-move-the-cw-greg-berlanti-1201901139/

I know nothing about this character.

D-grade Static who's mostly used now when DC can't/couldn't afford to buy his rights from whatever hell Milestone was stuck in at that particular time.

I don't think he's had a single solo that's actually had a full run.

SpaceWolf

Banned
D-grade Static who's mostly used now when DC can't/couldn't afford to buy his rights from whatever hell Milestone was stuck in at that particular time.

Sounds...exciting?

Surely DC has hundreds of characters they could play around with on television. Why choose this one?

Sounds...exciting?

Surely DC has hundreds of characters they could play around with on television. Why choose this one?

I'm gonna assume they're using him to backdoor the Outsiders, a much, much more interesting group that he just happens to be a part of.

Could you imagine an HBO Blood Sydicate show? Wire with superpowers?

How you going to be a corner boy when a humanoid T-Rex tries to jack you?

Don't make me sad. We're gonna get some garbage ass Valiant show for the HBO run.

X-O Manowar's series be it.

Ross61

How can he be a D-Grade Static when he was created decades before?

Vengal

Did they say if he's going to a parent in this one? I liked the little shorts with him and his kids. Its a dynamic that isn't really shown that often in comics.

I guess him being a parent wouldn't really jive with the CW format though unless the show is about his kids and not him.

Slayven

I'm gonna assume they're using him to backdoor the Outsiders, a much, much more interesting group that he just happens to be a part of.

Don't make me sad. We're gonna get some garbage ass Valiant show for the HBO run.

X-O Manowar's series be it.
You know I fuck hard with Halo, Metamorpho, and a proper Katana
How can he be a D-Grade Static when he was created decades before?

Says a lot about how much they done with BL

Slayven

Oh shit they going to make JJ THunder the badass kid next door or the badass cosuin

9bdd52cdd1429e722d74b20f857b58d1.jpg

TreIII

Was kinda bummed that it wasn't going to be an Arrowverse show. Now that Fox isn't a factor, that isn't an issue anymore!

I'll admit I dunno much about this char, but hey, if my dream for a Jon Stewart Green Lantern show may still be years away (if ever), I'm willing to give another black superhero a chance. And hey, a black led superdrama is an opportunity for some more diversity on CW.

Effect

Is that his Stand?

Kinda. It's a genie called Johnny Thunderbolt. I think that version is the merged form of the genie Thunderbolt and his original partner Johnny Thunder who preceded Jakeem. One could make the argument to described these characters as a stand user and his stand ala Jo Jo Bizarre Adventure.

grimmiq

This will be a little hard for me to watch thanks to Harvey Birdman, I always think of this when I heard either Black Lightning or Black Vulcan..I know they're completely different characters and Vulcan is a Lightning knockoff because they couldn't get the rights to use BL...but still.

2BHqGIK.jpg

Slayven

This will be a little hard for me to watch thanks to Harvey Birdman, I always think of this when I heard either Black Lightning or Black Vulcan..I know they're completely different characters and Vulcan is a Lightning knockoff because they couldn't get the rights to use BL...but still.

2BHqGIK.jpg

178652-19068-113848-1-son-of-vulcan.jpg

Slayven

Always bothered me how they fucked up Rocket and Icon in Justice League. Icon should have been the sidekick if anything

they could (and should) play a lot more with the fact he's a teacher and a parent. his daughter was on the outsiders, maybe they can backdoor that.

Black Lightening was an original Outsider

2755085-01.jpg

Ross61

Didn't those rights issues also kill the comic line? I vaguely remember two versions of a cover, some with Icon and rocket on them and others without.

If you're talking about New 52 Static, then being godawful is what killed it. After that's DC pretty much stopped using Milestone characters and the rights reverted.

grimmiq

Always bothered me how they fucked up Rocket and Icon in Justice League. Icon should have been the sidekick if anything

Does Rocket have any powers? Would be weird and a bit interesting for the hero to rely on equipment/skill and the sidekick be super-powered. Also, are there any female superheroes with male sidekicks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom