• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Black Lightning’ Drama Eyes Move To the CW To Join Greg Berlanti Comic Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boo, I thought they were talking about this Black Lightning:
Black_Lightning_poster1-780x1024.jpg

It even has the rooftop brooding scenes ready to go.

I'll take it if I can't get a static shock show.

Lol it could be worse... They could have a show about Bronze Tiger and his rogue gallery of... Um... Let me Google that.

Slayven

Does Rocket have any powers? Would be weird and a bit interesting for the hero to rely on equipment/skill and the sidekick be super-powered. Also, are there any female superheroes with male sidekicks?

Rocket uses a belt that is alien tech she stole from Icon. She inspired Icon(bitched him out) to become a superhero. She helps him navigate the modern world. They have an unusual dynamic in comics.

Vengal

If you're talking about New 52 Static, then being godawful is what killed it. After that's DC pretty much stopped using Milestone characters and the rights reverted.

No no, this was the Young Justice comic based on the tv show. Took me awhile to find it but they had to have lost the rights to Milestone sometime late 2012 because Rocket, Icon, and Static were part of the series. Icon was on the cover of the issue i'm linking below but was removed. Then the series was canceled afew issues later.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Young_Justice_Vol_2_21

If I remember correctly, the pitch for this was that he was a retired superhero , and circumstances would draw him back into the cape life. If this is going Arrowverse, it sounds like a better fit for Earth-38 than Earth-1.

I'm kinda amazed Gotham is still on air, love the show but something like that should be in danger of cancellation every season at Fox

They should move the other xmen show to fx. Plus a channel like that allows for you to break the mould a bit more than the networks

This black lightning show will be dope tho. I'm glad the flash/arrow team isnt on it. Enjoy those but the writers have been stuck regurgitating scenes a lot

I'm kinda amazed Gotham is still on air, love the show but something like that should be in danger of cancellation every season at Fox

They should move the other xmen show to fx. Plus a channel like that allows for you to break the mould a bit more than the networks

Legion is apparently in it's own continuity. Having two X-Men shows on the same network that would be in a similar slot but are totally disconnected from one another is never happening.

SpaceWolf

Banned

It's Batman related. Of course it's doing well.

It's like Smallville. A poor show, but associating it with a big-name character like Superman guaranteed it the kind of longevity most show's don't even dare to dream of.

It's Batman related. Of course it's doing well.

It's like Smallville. A poor show, but associating it with a big-name character like Superman guaranteed it the kind of longevity most show's don't even dare to dream of.

Smallville actually gets passable with the comics set after the show ended (they even just call them season 11).

It's not GOOD. But it's decent enough to at least warrant existing.

It's all I need.

Tho they're gonna shove Batman down our throats if it is, can already tell.

They seem to be really afraid of using him.

Every CW show is really an ensemble show. DC will cram whoever they can into the supposed cast. Black Lightning will of course have Thunder and Lightning, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Katana again, Geo-Force, Halo, and likely Grace. The latter because I doubt they'll skip Thunder being a lesbian.

Metamorpho feels expensive, so I'm counting him out.

They seem to be really afraid of using him.

Every CW show is really an ensemble show. DC will cram whoever they can into the supposed cast. Black Lightning will of course have Thunder and Lightning, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Katana again, Geo-Force, Halo, and likely Grace. The latter because I doubt they'll skip Thunder being a lesbian.

Metamorpho feels expensive, so I'm counting him out.

Idk given how cheap some of the effects are in Flash I wouldn't count out them giving us budget Metamorpho where his power is just like, shooting clearly CG water at people. I just have a feeling that it's time for them to go in and do a TV Batman. The movies aren't working right now so they need something positive with him in it for the public consciousness.

kmfdmpig

Has Black Lightning been seen in any of the comics in the last few years? I know he hasn't been in Rebirth, but was he even in the Nu52? I don't remember seeing him for quite some time.

Has Black Lightning been seen in any of the comics in the last few years? I know he hasn't been in Rebirth, but was he even in the Nu52? I don't remember seeing him for quite some time.

Him and Blue Devil got a one shot series for a hot minute, that's the last I remember seeing him.

Completely MIA. Had a brief one-shot with Blue Devil. I don't think DC has a take on him yet. Given my guess, Static Shock took his spot in the New 52 and Cyborg later on.

NGL if this is what it takes for Geo-Force to get into the media market of the DC universe I'm totally okay with this existing.

kmfdmpig

Him and Blue Devil got a one shot series for a hot minute, that's the last I remember seeing him.

That actually sounds cool. I may search it out if it's on CMX. Blue Devil is a fun character, although I think Shadowpact was the last thing I've seen him in other than a cameo here or there.

Ross61

He was in Justice League with Blue Devil for a few issues.

kmfdmpig

Completely MIA. Had a brief one-shot with Blue Devil. I don't think DC has a take on him yet. Given my guess, Static Shock took his spot in the New 52 and Cyborg later on.

If they're really serious about the show I suspect we'll start to see him pop up in the comics soon. Otherwise that's just a wasted opportunity to try to help the show a bit.

Ross61

If they're really serious about the show I suspect we'll start to see him pop up in the comics soon. Otherwise that's just a wasted opportunity to try to help the show a bit.

The shows help the comics, not the other way around unfortunately.

kmfdmpig

The shows help the comics, not the other way around unfortunately.

I agree, but with a character like that even those interested in DC comics (who are under 30) won't really care about the show that much as it'll be a DC character they're not really familiar with. I'd think they'd want to build up a bit of character recognition, but I'm sure you're right that selling 25,000 copies of a mini or a series doomed to cancellation isn't going to mean a whole lot when it comes to TV ratings.

Also, I hope they don't devote a lot of time on Arrow, Flash and Legends to set this up (As they did when the launched Legends).

Vengal

He was in injustice i think twice. Once in season 1 where he noped out when he saw who they were fighting, then again at the conclusion by helping superman rebuild metropolis.

For reference, here's the pitch from when this series was first announced as being in development:

http://deadline.com/2016/09/black-l...rlanti-mara-brock-akil-salim-akil-1201811892/

Written by the Akils, Black Lightning centers on Jefferson Pierce. He made his choice: he hung up the suit and his secret identity years ago, but with a daughter hell-bent on justice and a star student being recruited by a local gang, he'll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend Black Lightning.

It's getting ridiculous. The CW is basically Comic-book show Land. Seeing their transition from catering almost exclusively to teenage girls with relationship dramas to catering a lot but not exclusively to teenage girls with comic-book-based, actiony, supernatural relationship dramas has been absolutely fascinating.

It's getting ridiculous. The CW is basically Comic-book show Land. Seeing their transition from catering almost exclusively to teenage girls with relationship dramas to catering a lot but not exclusively to teenage girls with comic-book-based, actiony, supernatural relationship dramas has been absolutely fascinating.

Smallville, Supernatural, and Roswell had a pretty big impact on their lineup.

Unfortunately, they also set up a lot of tropes that the CW shows are still trying to break.

Never really liked Black Lightning. Or I should say, I have never come across a good story where he was a prominent character. I'm sure it exists somewhere.

And I had to drop all the CW shows because I'm an all or nothing kind of guy and it was just too much for me to follow. But I'd watch the pilot I guess.

This will be a little hard for me to watch thanks to Harvey Birdman, I always think of this when I heard either Black Lightning or Black Vulcan..I know they're completely different characters and Vulcan is a Lightning knockoff because they couldn't get the rights to use BL...but still.

2BHqGIK.jpg

lol..Show was sooo good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom