• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

¡¡¡¡¡ Street Fighter 4 announced !!!!! (and Dark Void, and Lost Planet PS3, and more)

RBH

vala said:

Houshmanzadah.gif

Extollere said:
The higher ups at Capcom Japan didn't want to make any more Street Fighters, so they gave the rights to Capcom USA saying that Street Fighter was no longer popular and the series had run it's course (don't know where they got this idea from... sales stats probably).
I'm not up with the history on this. It's really as simple as that that the company abandoned IP rights to its overseas subsidiary?

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
I just want SF4 to be awesome and to be a real Street Fighter. And I think that means it has to have the classic 2D gameplay. I don't care how it looks as long as it can replicate the classic feel of SF play.

Kyoufu

Fatghost said:
I just want SF4 to be awesome and to be a real Street Fighter. And I think that means it has to have the classic 2D gameplay. I don't care how it looks as long as it can replicate the classic feel of SF play.

They need to evolve it eventually, I think.

I doubt the markets in future generations will sustain another 2D version of SF, so I hope they know how to make the series future-proof.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Kyoufu said:
They need to evolve it eventually, I think.

I doubt the markets in future generations will sustain another 2D version of SF, so I hope they know how to make the series future-proof.

Considering the dropping sales for Tekken, VF and even Soul Calibur, I don't think there is much of a market for 3D SF either.

Fatghost said:
Considering the dropping sales for Tekken, VF and even Soul Calibur, I don't think there is much of a market for 3D SF either.

Only if it's just a carbon copy of those games. There is quite literally nothing I would want less out of a Street Fighter game. The whole genre needs to take a giant leap forward and I for one want SFIV to be the game that makes that leap. I'm hoping we'll need a new paradigm beyond just 2D or 3D when we finally see what SFIV actually is. I have to say, if it is just a 2D game I'll be slightly dissapointed but if it turns out to be a 3D fighter in the vein of VF or Tekken I'll be fucking incensed.

I know a lot of the SF3 crowd are just looking for an update in the series, and believe me, I would love to see it. But if anyone has the balls to reinvent the genre, it's Capcom, and if any IP has the mass appeal to pull it off, it's Street Fighter.

Kyoufu

Fatghost said:

Thats because those said games have been the same (albeit tweaked) over the past few years. Plus the fact that they've been lacking an online mode means most people can't justify paying full price for something they won't play again after an hour. This becomes a problem when you own previous installments of said franchises already.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Kyoufu said:
Thats because those said games have been the same (albeit tweaked) over the past few years. Plus the fact that they've been lacking an online mode means most people can't justify paying full price for something they won't play again after an hour. This becomes a problem when you own previous installments of said franchises already.

Ehhh.. not really.. fighting games just aren't as big as other types of games these days. Thats all there is to it.

Fighting games aren't casual games to any sort of degree either. Its the kind of thing were you really have to put a lot of hours into any of those games for them to have much replay value. People aren't really into that kind of shit anymore. They'd rather have games where you play, get to a certain point, continue, complete some sort of objective, be able to "beat it" etc. None of that is really in fighting games.

Also, fighting games are only really fun with another human opponent. Even online wont deliver the same experience. Anyway, you put that all together and thats why fighting games will always be a niche and never really sell as much as say Halo or even GoW or w/e.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
freethought said:
Only if it's just a carbon copy of those games. There is quite literally nothing I would want less out of a Street Fighter game. The whole genre needs to take a giant leap forward and I for one want SFIV to be the game that makes that leap. I'm hoping we'll need a new paradigm beyond just 2D or 3D when we finally see what SFIV actually is. I have to say, if it is just a 2D game I'll be slightly dissapointed but if it turns out to be a 3D fighter in the vein of VF or Tekken I'll be fucking incensed.

I know a lot of the SF3 crowd are just looking for an update in the series, and believe me, I would love to see it. But if anyone has the balls to reinvent the genre, it's Capcom, and if any IP has the mass appeal to pull it off, it's Street Fighter.

Well, let's be honest about Street Fighter's mass appeal:

It's pretty much gone. All the hype and buzz on the net right now is the hardcore SF fan base.

So just releasing SF4 3-D isn't going to reverse the fighting game genre's fortunes on its own.

Either 2D or 3D, the game has to be something special to re-ignite the genre.

There are advantages to going 2D:

- Scaleable...2D could mean it can be done on every platform, from Cell phones to DS to PSP to Wii to PS2 to PS3 and X360.

- Grass roots support. The SF community would definately be happier with a 2D game based on the pre-ponderance of posts on the various communities

- Unique. (unique-ish anyway:D ) Instead of having to be compared to Tekken 6, SC4 and VF5, SF4 can be largely alone and may do better as a result.

- Simpler. As complex as SF3 is, 2D is inherently simpler to get into than 3D. If Capcom wants to re-capture the casual's imaginations with SF4 like they did with SF2, they aren't going to want to go with a highly technical complex 3D fighter. 2 dimensions (whether it's with 3D graphics or 2D graphics) is easier for this. As Smash Bros shows.

Fatghost said:
- Simpler. As complex as SF3 is, 2D is inherently simpler to get into than 3D. If Capcom wants to re-capture the casual's imaginations with SF4 like they did with SF2, they aren't going to want to go with a highly technical complex 3D fighter. 2 dimensions (whether it's with 3D graphics or 2D graphics) is easier for this. As Smash Bros shows.
This is the key for SF4, even though the small hardcore crowd might cry and cry, they need to take the complexity down a notch.

Fatghost said:

It's pretty much gone. All the hype and buzz on the net right now is the hardcore SF fan base.

So just releasing SF4 3-D isn't going to reverse the fighting game genre's fortunes on its own.

There are advantages to going 2D:

- Scaleable...2D could mean it can be done on every platform, from Cell phones to DS to PSP to Wii to PS2 to PS3 and X360.

- Grass roots support. The SF community would definately be happier with a 2D game based on the pre-ponderance of posts on the various communities

- Unique. (unique-ish anyway:D ) Instead of having to be compared to Tekken 6, SC4 and VF5, SF4 can be largely alone and may do better as a result.

Dont underestimate the love for Ken and Ryu...Street Fighter is gonna be big and talked about, alot, outside of the internet...once its marketing is done right...imo

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
GitarooMan said:
This is the key for SF4, even though the small hardcore crowd might cry and cry, they need to take the complexity down a notch.

Bringing SF4 back to say an SF2 Turbo level would be ideal.

Although I really like parries, they just need to make them a bit riskier.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
jordan0386 said:
Dont underestimate the love for Ken and Ryu...Street Fighter is gonna be big and talked about, alot, outside of the internet...once its marketing is done right...imo

Well I think SF4 will hit bigger than SF3...which was ultimately dismissed by too many people with the glut of shiny new 3D fighters and the fact that there were still annual updates of SF via the Alpha and Versus games...

I don't think SF4 is going to approach say, Halo levels of hype. It's still going to be a pretty hard core franchise.

Fatghost said:
Well I think SF4 will hit bigger than SF3...which was ultimately dismissed by too many people with the glut of shiny new 3D fighters and the fact that there were still annual updates of SF via the Alpha and Versus games...

I don't think SF4 is going to approach say, Halo levels of hype. It's still going to be a pretty hard core franchise.

If the GS and the EBs put up the promotional work, folks will start to care..."oh, they making a new Street Fighter?"

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Perhaps SF4 is tempting enough to lure some of the older staff back to Capcom? Regardless, it's funny that negativity towards this game, which we know _NOTHING_ about, continues even all around the internets after revealing it's being made by Capcom Japan.

twinturbo2 said:
Aren't a few Street Fighter vets on that dev team that made Super Dragon Ball Z?

Yes, that's Craft & Meister, if I remember the developer's name correctly.

vala

twinturbo2 said:
Aren't a few Street Fighter vets on that dev team that made Super Dragon Ball Z?

That game was developed by Arika, directed by Akira Nishitani and produced by Noritaka Funamizu.

For reference, here are the names of the SF designers:

SF 1:
Takashi Nishiyama, director (DIMPS president)
Hiroshi Matsumoto, planner (DIMPS producer)

SF 2:
Akira "Nin" Nishitani
Akiman (freelance)

SSF2:
Noritaka "Poo" Funamizu
Haruo "Mucchi" Murata (RE 5 writer)

SFA:
Noritaka Funamizu
Haruo Murata
Hideaki Itsuno (DMC 4 director)

SFA2:
Noritaka Funamizu
Hidetoshi "Neo_G" Ishizawa (still works at Capcom)
"Kanetaka"

SFA 3:
Naoto Ohta (Ape Escape producer)
Mamoru Ohhashi (DMC 4 planner)
"Buruma"
Kazuki "Ohko" Matsue (Megaman psp remakes director)

SF 3 NG:
Seto Yasuhiro (RE Umbrella director)
Tomonori "Numach" Ohnuma
Shinichiro Obata (Gundam Seed: Federation vs. Z.A.F.T. 2 main designer)
"Halachie du Harais"
Hidetoshi Ishizawa

SF 3 2I:
Seto Yasuhiro
Hidetoshi Ishizawa
Tomonori Ohnuma

SF 3 3S:
Hidetoshi Ishizawa
Haruo Murata
Tomonori Ohnuma
Yasunori Ichinose (Monster Hunter P director)
Tomoshi Sadamoto

Fatghost said:

I think your wrong about Street Fighter's appeal, this thread is proof that it isn't just the SF hardcore who are excited. I think you're underestimating the name recognition of the series as well. If it is just a retread of old 2D or 3D mechanics then no, it isn't going to have much mass appeal, it will have to do something brand new to be the new SFII, but I think that was what I was driving at.

So an old school 2D game will only appeal to the SF hardcore and a traditional 3D fighter will arguably have even less appeal. But something new, genuinely innovative and carrying the Street Fighter name; man, that could be huge, Street Fighter II huge.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
freethought said:
I think your wrong about Street Fighter's appeal, this thread is proof that it isn't just the SF hardcore who are excited. I think you're underestimating the name recognition of the series as well. If it is just a retread of old 2D or 3D mechanics then no, it isn't going to have much mass appeal, it will have to do something brand new to be the new SFII, but I think that was what I was driving at.

So an old school 2D game will only appeal to the SF hardcore and a traditional 3D fighter will arguably have even less appeal. But something new, genuinely innovative and carrying the Street Fighter name; man, that could be huge, Street Fighter II huge.

Could be huge. Let's hope it turns out good.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
vala said:
That game was developed by Arika, directed by Akira Nishitani and produced by Noritaka Funamizu.

For reference, here are the names of the SF designers:
It seems like a good portion of those guys still work at Capcom, or are still in the industry somehow. Good sign? Yeah, I think so. :D

NeonZ

Fighting games aren't casual games to any sort of degree either. Its the kind of thing were you really have to put a lot of hours into any of those games for them to have much replay value. People aren't really into that kind of shit anymore.

They'd rather have games where you play, get to a certain point, continue, complete some sort of objective, be able to "beat it" etc. None of that is really in fighting games.

I don't see how implementing an objective-single player focused structure in a fighting game is troublesome. Yes, it's not a feature required by hardcore fans, but, if they want to sell to people beyond the fanbase, they pretty much will need a developed single player experience in today's market.

They'll need to use resources to do that, but that's the only real negativity of adding it.

The traditional way of making single players in fighting games is to make a quick Arcade mode, where the player faces random computer controlled opponents, 1-3 sub bosses and a final boss - There might be cutscenes/animation for the boss fights and ending, but that's it.

I think they should include a fairly bare bones "Arcade" mode, maybe without even real individual endings, and just focus on a longer, console focused, single player mode.

They don't need to implement some kind of "Tekken Force" or "Konquest" mode or anything - just use the core gameplay, whatever it is, to do it and tell a fairly lengthy storyline, showing every character, through the standard fighting engine - something like Soul Calibur's old Weapon Master mode, only using the actual characters (rather than using their models to represent different people- WTH was up with that anyway?) and replacing most of the narration with on-screen dialog and cutscenes.

The problem with SF3 was that the characters design was somewhat lacking, CRMK wasn't onboard for it and it showed, plus most people (casuals) mention that they missed Guile and Blanka and the other popular characters, I hear the same thing for SF4, they want the classic characters back as well as new characters, I think if most of the characters from SF2 are back it would generate a good word for the game.

I also think that Bengus aka CRMK is still at Capcom but not as a lead designer? I don't know know where I read this but I think it was at Capcom's board.

Fatghost said:
Could be huge. Let's hope it turns out good.

See, that is the main reason to fear my dream scenario. It could fail, hard. A 2D iteration would most likely be awesome. Still, the bigger the risk, the bigger the reward.

vala

Icomeinpeace said:
The problem with SF3 was that the characters design was somewhat lacking, CRMK wasn't onboard for it and it showed, plus most people (casuals) mention that they missed Guile and Blanka and the other popular characters, I hear the same thing for SF4, they want the classic characters back as well as new characters, I think if most of the characters from SF2 are back it would generate a good word for the game.

Actually, Akiman was the lead character designer of SF 2 and he did all the designs for SF 3 NG...

I also think that Bengus aka CRMK is still at Capcom but not as a lead designer? I don't know know where I read this but I think it was at Capcom's board.

According to Wikipedia Jp, CRMK (Naoto Kuroshima) left Capcom in 2006 =P

vala said:
Actually, Akiman was the lead character designer of SF 2 and he did all the designs for SF 3 NG...

Most

According to Wikipedia Jp, CRMK (Naoto Kuroshima) left Capcom in 2006 =P

Oh my, I was wrong on both accounts, I was under the impression that Ikeno designed SF3 characters as well as Nishimura.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
NeonZ said:
I don't see how implementing an objective-single player focused structure in a fighting game is troublesome. Yes, it's not a feature required by hardcore fans, but, if they want to sell to people beyond the fanbase, they pretty much will need a developed single player experience in today's market.

They'll need to use resources to do that, but that's the only real negativity of adding it.

The traditional way of making single players in fighting games is to make a quick Arcade mode, where the player faces random computer controlled opponents, 1-3 sub bosses and a final boss - There might be cutscenes/animation for the boss fights and ending, but that's it.

I think they should include a fairly bare bones "Arcade" mode, maybe without even real individual endings, and just focus on a longer, console focused, single player mode.

They don't need to implement some kind of "Tekken Force" or "Konquest" mode or anything - just use the core gameplay, whatever it is, to do it and tell a fairly lengthy storyline, showing every character, through the standard fighting engine - something like Soul Calibur's old Weapon Master mode, only using the actual characters (rather than using their models to represent different people- WTH was up with that anyway?) and replacing most of the narration with on-screen dialog and cutscenes.

Well, part of the problem here is that SF isn't really a story based game.

SF2 worked the same way Pac-Man or Tetris or Wii Sports works. It was simple to get into, had some surprising hidden depth, and was a blast to play.

vala

Icomeinpeace said:
Oh my, I was wrong on both accounts, I was under the impression that Ikeno designed SF3 characters as well as Nishimura.

Ikeno worked on 3strike and Kinu only did the artwork for Sf 3 NG/ 2nd Impact .

Enk

makes good threads.
camineet said:
I hope Street Fighter 4 is as huge, as earth-shattering as SFII was in 1991.

The only way for it to be truly earth-shattering is if it single handedly revived the dead Western arcade scene. All I'm hoping for is a great fighting game whose gameplay still retains that Street Fighter feel while feeling fresh at the same time.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Enk said:
The only way for it to be truly earth-shattering is if it single handedly revived the dead Western arcade scene. All I'm hoping for is a great fighting game whose gameplay still retains that Street Fighter feel while feeling fresh at the same time.

Well, that probably can't happen with arcades already dead. Who's going to buy units?

Besides Capcom closed their coin-op division years ago.

Top Bottom