• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

¡¡¡¡¡ Street Fighter 4 announced !!!!! (and Dark Void, and Lost Planet PS3, and more)

Xav

Lyte Edge said:
No, really...WHAT THE FUCK?? They had the likes of Mega Man 2, Street Fighter 2 to SF3 2nd Impact, Ghouls N' Ghosts, D&D, Marvel, Darkstalkers, Final Fight, and countless other amazing games since day one. They have always kicked ass.

As great as their old stuff was I prefer the new stuff they are doing. I made it clear in my 2nd post that I never said Capcom didn't kick ass before, I just think they kick MORE ass now.
I can do what you did to me easily...

"WHAT THE FUCK??, they've got Devil May Cry series, Resident Evil 0/Code Veronica/Remake/4, Phoenix Wright series, Viewtiful Joe 1/2, God Hand, PowerStone series, Project Justice, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, Capcom VS SNK 2, Onimusha series, Okami and countless others. How dare you imply Capcom don't kick ass now."

Get over it, someone on NeoGAF has an opinion. What the hell is wrong with you?

MarkMan said:
Street Fighter 4 has been in playable form for awhile now...

Since early this year, at least. :)

Somebody has to find out where he lives. We'll send in the GAF Ninja's to infiltrate his house and force him to answer our questions.

Elhandro

Does anyone read 2ch or other Gaming forums overseas, whats the fall out like in the asian community.

Im trying to get a sense of how the world is reacting to the announcement of SF4.

El

ShinAmano

haunts said:
I hope its a PSN/XBL download personally. Day of arcade release.
I don't think that XBLA has enough memory to handle what SF4 needs to bring to the table. Plus i want a beautiful full color instruction book rich with art :)

Green Shinobi said:
So obviously SF4 will see an arcade release well before any console versions, right?

If it's funded by Capcom USA, you can bet that the arcades are nothing more than an afterthought. Arcades are dead here and for Capcom USA to put up the money this means that the focus is on consoles first and foremost.

Haunted One said:
Who says it's coming to consoles?

Wow.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
haunts said:
What is the AOU Show?

Arcade Operators Union I think. The trade show for what's left of the arcade scene.

But yeah, Capcom USA shut down their arcade division years ago. They don't even service or sell their old games anymore, so this is unlikely to see an arcade release, unless Capcom Japan wants to do it.

TreIII

Fatghost said:
But yeah, Capcom USA shut down their arcade division years ago. They don't even service or sell their old games anymore, so this is unlikely to see an arcade release, unless Capcom Japan wants to do it.

And they probably will, because the Japanese scene IS still a lucrative one. I can't imagine too many reasons of why Sengoku BASARA X (the Capcom and ASW fighter) would be delayed to April 08, unless CoJ specifically wanted to give the two games a chance to prove themselves fairly and separately.

Besides, it wouldn't be the first time some thing of this nature happened. Despite the utter embarrassment it was, CoJ gave friggin' Final Fight Revenge (Saturn) an arcade release for a brief period of time, in spite of it being an American production, and, again, a very bad game.

Dali

ezekial45 said:
New interview from GT

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26833.html

With some new info and a vid of SSFIIHD Remix

Thanks a bunch. This is probably the best footage of SFIIHDR yet.

Re: SFIV.

That comment he made has me thinking 2D w/3D models now, more than ever :( Based on the teaser the "direction" they are going in is like a Tekken/anime fighter mix, with dramatic scripted throw/reversal animations and camera movements. I hope I am wrong on all accounts.

Grayman

karasu said:
It's definitely 3D.

HD Remix is uber jerky.
Your logic here isn't right.

HD remix is jerky(which you learnt from a camera phone video on youtube!). HD remix did not add any frames to moves from super turbo. SF3 has smoother animation than HD.

TreIII

Dali said:
Re: SFIV.

That comment he made has me thinking 2D w/3D models now, more than ever :( Based on the teaser the "direction" they are going in is like a Tekken/anime fighter mix, with dramatic scripted throw/reversal animations and camera movements. I hope I am wrong on all accounts.

Personally, I'm led to lean towards the direction of either Rumble Fish or Odin Sphere. In either case, it wouldn't be traditional, hand-drawn sprites. But as Odin Sphere can attest, segmented sprites can be a thing of beauty, and certainly do more to retain the overall feel of a 2D game better than any combination of 3D polygons in a 2D medium could hope to have.

Xav

From what I can gather it sounds like it will be 3D, Street Fighter IV will take the series 3D while Street Fighter HD Remix will be there to keep 2D fans happy. I say take the series 3D because the EX series was done by Arika, not Capcom directly.
I would recommend Street Fighter stick to it's 2D roots, I don't think it's wise for Street Fighter to take on Soul Calibur IV & Virtua Fighter 5 when it comes to 3D fighting games. Street Fighter in 3D wouldn't be the worst thing ever, if anyone has played Project Justice you'll know it worked out pretty well.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
re: the interview, im the guy who did the interview with the weeny voice. he was very reluctant to mention almost anything about sf4. during the conf, sf4 was the last thing they showed, and i think they hadn't maybe decided to show it up to the last minute. it was on a separate dvd and everything.

time for some one to comb over the trailer me thinks and squeeze any sort of conspiracy elements you can think of.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
I'm ok with 3D graphics if it stays 2D gameplay with the Street Fighter feel,

I just don't think any 3D game has ever come close to that and hope Capcom will be able to pull it off.

karasu

Grayman said:
HD remix is jerky(which you learnt from a camera phone video on youtube!). HD remix did not add any frames to moves from super turbo. SF3 has smoother animation than HD.

What? Who say they added frames? That's probably why it looks jerky. Because it's dated. Direct feed won't change it.

Dali

Fatghost said:
I'm ok with 3D graphics if it stays 2D gameplay with the Street Fighter feel,

I just don't think any 3D game has ever come close to that and hope Capcom will be able to pull it off.

Every time this issue comes up, I reference Battle Fantasia. The videos look like it may have done it, but I have no first-hand experience. At the very least I'd say it has come close, but that's just judging by internet vids. Any J-gaffers want to debunk this once and for all? Does BF, a 2D fighter with 3D models, handle like a traditional 2D fighter?

Edit: That last part read "...like a traditional 3d fighter?" but you knew what I meant, right?

TreIII

Dali said:
Every time this issue comes up, I reference Battle Fantasia. The videos look like it may have done it, but I have no first-hand experience. At the very least I'd say it has come close, but that's just judging by internet vids. Any J-gaffers want to debunk this once and for all? Does BF, a 2D fighter with 3D models, handle like a traditional 3D fighter?

From what my Asiatic-oriented friends have told me: It's close, but still not quite there to the mark of being a traditional 2D fighter any more than Rumble Fish did.

The major thing they cite? While the game definitely does use the CG models and renders each frame as a sprite, it's still not a perfect "flip" of the sprite in every single case, which is especially evident when some of the infinites in that game don't work on both sides of the screen.

Dali

TreIII said:
From what my Asiatic-oriented friends have told me: It's close, but still not quite there to the mark of being a traditional 2D fighter any more than Rumble Fish did.

The major thing they cite? While the game definitely does use the CG models and renders each frame as a sprite, it's still not a perfect "flip" of the sprite in every single case, which is especially evident when some of the infinites in that game don't work on both sides of the screen.

Cool. So it sounds like it can be done with some more tweaking. The main gripe I'd have with a jump to 3d models instead of sprites would be:
1)controls
2)the charm of hand-drawn sprites

BF has sort-of eased my mind about #2 and with a little effort it seems #1 wouldn't be much of a problem either. I'd still prefer HD 2D, though.

karasu

I don't really see the point of pseudo 2D. That's like holding yourself back just because. And if they go full 2D we probably won't get a sequel for another ten years.

jett

D-Member
Going by the interview: OCremix involvement in SSF2T HD
confirmed(meh).

Also, I actually hope SF4 is not 2D and doesn't play anything like the previous games. Hopefully it does to the genre what SF2 did 16 years ago. I want something new.

RyanDG

Wet blanket time...

Yoshinori Ono was the producer on Capcom Fighting Evolution/Capcom Fighting Jam. He is also now the producer for Street Fighter IV.

I'm willing to hold off on passing judgment, but why was this decision made I wonder?

TreIII

Dali said:
Cool. So it sounds like it can be done with some more tweaking. The main gripe I'd have with a jump to 3d models instead of sprites would be:
1)controls
2)the charm of hand-drawn sprites

BF has sort-of eased my mind about #2 and with a little effort it seems #1 wouldn't be much of a problem either. I'd still prefer HD 2D, though.

And again, I personally would like nothing better than to see Capcom try something more akin to what Treasure has been doing for years, and Vanillaware has just brought out into the forefront again: segmented sprites.

It goes without saying that the classical, hand-drawn way of sprite drawing is probably the main thing that makes it so it's not as viable a solution today as it was yesteryear, when we didn't have a choice. Drawing that many frames of animation just takes too much time, and costs too much money. And I'm sure Capcom is not interested in giving up either for the sake of one game.

But with segmented sprites, you basically could stand to cut that type of work drastically, because then it would be more of a thing of "drawing" for each specific part of a model's body, instead of trying to draw the whole body per frame. Done correctly (again, see Treasure's stuff, and Odin Sphere), and it is a great look that creates a seamless presentation. And, truthfully, it doesn't even need to be in HD, as Odin Sphere and that new Vanillaware game for the Wii clearly demonstrate.

It's my humblest wish that Capcom would think about something along those lines when it comes to SF4. But I'm doubting that, because Capcom is probably more along the lines that SF needs to "get back in the game" by going into 3D, rather than make an attempt to try and take back what SNK and ASW have more or less shared unopposed for practically a decade.

EDIT:
RyanDG said:
Wet blanket time...

Yoshinori Ono was the producer on Capcom Fighting Evolution/Capcom Fighting Jam. He is also now the producer for Street Fighter IV.

I'm willing to hold off on passing judgment, but why was this decision made I wonder?

Probably because they had no else who was either a) available or b) up to the task.

I mean, who else could they turn to? Akira Nishitani (series creator) is over at Arika. Noritaka Funamiza (had a hand during SF2 development) is at Crafts & Meister. Both of these guys departed Capcom quite a while ago, and a number of others have since either flown the coop or got involved in other projects. For instance, a number of the programmers from SFIII: 3S are now working on the Sengoku BASARA series.

So, basically, it's looking more like Capcom has to take what it can get. Ono may have been up to the job, but he probably was also the ONLY one that Capcom had for such a thing...

jett

D-Member
The animation-style of Odin Sphere is lazy low-budget piece of shit and I want none of that on my Street Fighter.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I think SFHD Remix looks good.. i didnt expect it to look silky smooth.. the talk about SF4 is questionable. this wait is going to be a roller coaster ride of emotions. haha.

Judging by the trailer i have to wonder if its going to be a final fantasy like summon cut scene each time you do a super or special move.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think the "direction" he was talking about what the smooth countering and close-quarters nature of the fight. SF3 tried to bring things in and make players more bold/fights more dynamic with the parries, but perhaps SF4 will take it to another level.

RyanDG

Dice said:
I think the "direction" he was talking about what the smooth countering and close-quarters nature of the fight. SF3 tried to bring things in and make players more bold/fights more dynamic with the parries, but perhaps SF4 will take it to another level.

Perhaps, but to me it seems like that whole line of question and answer was in a direct response to whether or not the game was in 2D or 3D. It is cut a bit funny, so its hard to tell for sure.

Top Bottom