• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Tenet” - 2020, new Christopher Nolan film

Just came back from cinema here in Poland. I haven't fully grasped what was going on sometimes, but man sheer spectacle makes it one of my favourite nolan movies. Loved performances from pattison and jdw. Soundtrack is top-notch, too - imo even better than the ones from inception and interstellat. Need to watch this movie again real soon. I was reading some mixed reviews and opinions on reddit and was kinda scared it won't live up to the expectations, but there's nothing like that imo (or from what i've seen ;p)

Saw the film, made me jump into the Nolan soundmix-gate bandwagon.
Around 40% into the film was when I started to get into it, decent but not my favourite Nolan film.
Actually I am firmly in the Villeneuve bandwagon now, Nolan has passed his prime, onto the next young thang. :p

EDIT: Changed thing to "thang".

Last edited:
Saw the film, made me jump into the Nolan soundmix-gate bandwagon.
Around 40% into the film was when I started to get into it, decent but not my favourite Nolan film.
Actually I am firmly in the Villeneuve bandwagon now, Nolan has passed his prime, onto the next young thang. :p

EDIT: Changed thing to "thang".

I'm hopeful for Dune but Blade Runner 2049 is the only Villeneuve I think actually touches Nolan's best work.

Trilobit

I went to cinema for the first time in a long time and saw Tenet and really enjoyed it. I felt that as a movie I'd maybe give it a weak 7/10 since the story and characters were a bit thin, but as a sci fi concept it was amazing. I haven't watched this kind of spectacle in a long time and it was very impressive.

TriSuit666

Banned
Okay, serious question for other people here, maybe I just missed this line of dialogue the first time? But the Wikipedia summary claims
the future is bad because of global warming
did anyone else catch anyone in the movie saying this?

It‘s covered in a very quick one line of dialogue at the end as one character is talking to another character on a telephone. The conversation ends with one of the characters saying something like ‘it’s to cause Armageddon and to avoid armageddon at the same time, so my son can have a future’.

It‘s covered in a very quick one line of dialogue at the end as one character is talking to another character on a telephone. The conversation ends with one of the characters saying something like ‘it’s to cause Armageddon and to avoid armageddon at the same time, so my son can have a future’.

That doesn't imply global warming, though.

Blond

Banned
I saw it, got it but wasn't exactly impressed. I loved that he went out of his way to make sure there was no loose ends whatsoever but the main draw of the film was pretty much all in the trailers for the most interesting part of the film.

BvwesGA.jpg

Piggoro

LTTP
I watched Tenet over the weekend, and between weird sound mixing and super complex story, I understood literally 1% of it. I thought I had some weird stroke. I felt like a dog watching a movie.
But. I loved every minute of it! Amazing film! Definitely worth watching and rewatching. Gonna go again next week.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Also, is the Pattinson character supposed to be
the little boy all grown up and doomed to die in the bunker in a future iteration of the attack?

You guys do realize that the reason why the dialogue is so weird is because the FILM IS INTENDED TO BE WATCHED IN REVERSE!!!
No it's because it's really loud. so the Dark Knight was the first movie Christopher Nolan did with IMAX cameras and he did a substantial amount of the film and IMAX but every film since has done more IMAX than that film did. I write articles back then about how they had to switch from IMAX to regular cameras during dialogue scenes because IMAX cameras are too loud and you wouldn't always hear the dialogue properly. With the Dark Knight because it's a comic book film he just had to deal with that but as he began making high concept movies with no intellectual property for them to be tied to he began to do films the way he wanted them to be done there was no longer this need to make all the exposition as audible as possible he could do what he wanted and what he wants is a film that conveys most of its meaning through visuals. people like to point out how they didn't need the exposition and inception because they were able to understand it but that's the whole point the dialogue is perfunctory and unnecessary to understand the emotional journey the film goes on. Dunkirk for instance was inspired by a silent war film and he filmed it in such a way that if you watched it silent you could enjoy it. Interstellar was the first film to draw criticism for the dialogue being drowned out and it was obvious why this happened because they would be talking about mission prep while all these noises from the rocket ship are going off. at the time he was asked about it in an interview and he said something to the tune of it being that his films are meant to be orchestras and the dialogue is simply one instrument in the orchestra not necessarily the most important one. You always eventually hear every line of dialogue in a Christopher Nolan film even if it means you have to turn on subtitles when you get it on Blu-ray so if it really matters for you to know what they're saying it will come to you while the rest of us can enjoy the premium experience that seeing a Nolan film The first Time truly should be and to be fair that's really only going to be an IMAX but I've heard the Dolby cinemas are pretty cool as well. I'm hoping Christopher Nolan is still giving a lot of leeway on his next film and that people understand that covid-19 is the main reason the film isn't doing better in America I mean two of the biggest markets in America aren't open at all New York and LA.

Also, is the Pattinson character supposed to be
the little boy all grown up and doomed to die in the bunker in a future iteration of the attack?
All we can tell you about that theory is that John David Washington is a fan of it. but he straight up said the only way you'll know the answer is if Nolan feels like doing a sequel and the thing with Nolan is he does whatever he wants so if he gets the idea for some other movie he's going to do that other movie. Even when the demand was incredibly high for a sequel with the Dark Knight he did inception in between.

thefool

Nolan keeps making random strange shit that somehow work. This one was particularly obtuse first time but subsequent viewings just clarify what should have been obvious: This was fucking kino.

He pretty much achieved an artistic status that he can change dps, editors, sound engineers, composers, etc. that every film is clearly imprinted with his own unique style. Collaborators only exist to make his vision come to life. You really can't go any higher as an artist.

Btw, Pattison is one charming mofo. There's actors who don't need a lot to chew on and still excel. The ending works because he's so good in it.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Oscar Best Picture for 2020/21(??) looking promising.

TENET, Saint Maud, Mank (going off it's amazing trailer and the fact Fincher is behind it), Minari, I'm Thinking Of Ending Things, The Trial of The Chicago Seven.

A decent year for films indeed, especially considering big hitters like Dune suffered delays.

Qwell

Bump... Just stayed up till 3am watching this last night. I still don't understand all of it but I also can't stop thinking about it. I really liked it I think? Definetly a spectacle movie and very glad I have a decent home theater to do it justice. Also glad I'm able to watch it a few more times over the next weeks to really absorb it. But man some of those action scenes were just great and yes the soundtrack is banging.

Bump... Just stayed up till 3am watching this last night. I still don't understand all of it but I also can't stop thinking about it. I really liked it I think? Definetly a spectacle movie and very glad I have a decent home theater to do it justice. Also glad I'm able to watch it a few more times over the next weeks to really absorb it. But man some of those action scenes were just great and yes the soundtrack is banging.

How is it already available for you?

I was incredibly confused because I couldn’t follow the story. I couldn’t make out the dialogue for most of the movie. Not sure if it was my theater. I saw it in Dolby cinema. The explosions effects etc drowned out the dialogue. Could barely hear speech even in quiet scenes

asustitan

Banned
The idea was clever and for a time travel film was pretty good at closing all the loops (I think).

I just thought overall it wasn't very good. The setting, the characters, acting. It felt very wooden and soulless.

I'm also a fan of time travel films. Just disappointing. The mechanics were good, the film not so.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

This is really the first Nolan movie where he’s allowed his high concept to strangle the film’s narrative.

Before, he’s walked a decent line between espousing complex scientific theory or deconstructing narrative, and telling an emotionally satisfying story... but with Tenet he’s lost that balance. Goes too far one way, leaving us with a film that’s confusing for most people and has about as much empathy as a brick.

I very much enjoyed it on a technical level, and for the way it tries to tackle the second law of thermodynamics in an engaging manner, but it’s easily one of his worst stories.

asustitan

Banned
I very much enjoyed it on a technical level, and for the way it tries to tackle the second law of thermodynamics in an engaging manner, but it’s easily one of his worst stories.

I agree, as a story and as far as dialogue, acting and emotional investment goes it has to be one of his worst.

Last edited:

brenobnfm

This is really the first Nolan movie where he’s allowed his high concept to strangle the film’s narrative.

Before, he’s walked a decent line between espousing complex scientific theory or deconstructing narrative, and telling an emotionally satisfying story... but with Tenet he’s lost that balance. Goes too far one way, leaving us with a film that’s confusing for most people and has about as much empathy as a brick.

Wrong as fuck, most of his movies before weren't balanced, they were straight up shallow with nice visual effects. This is the first movie of this kind where he didn't dumb down for the average moviegoer, a lot of the great movies in cinema history aren't accessible for a lot of people, it is what it is and i hope this is a new era for him and we haven't seen his best yet.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Wrong as fuck, most of his movies before weren't balanced, they were straight up shallow with nice visual effects. This is the first movie of this kind were he didn't dumb down for the average moviegoer, a lot of the great movies in cinema history aren't accessible for a lot of people, it is what it is and i hope this is a new era for him and we haven't seen his best yet.

You seem like a dick nice.

Top Bottom