• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 year exclusivity deals - Your take on that?

KORNdoggy

don't mind them, as long as they're upfront about it.

i don't like it when something is announced to be on all platforms, or is expected to be due to being a sequel, and then suddenly has a year exclusivity while pretending like it's a full exclusive (looking at you rise of the tomb raider)

if i know it will eventually arrive on my platform of choice though i have no issues waiting though. i'll be doing it with PUBG.

silva1991

I dislike them and this practice needs to die. Why do you think there was a deal for FFX-X2? I don't think Sony gives a crap about a cheap port of a PS3 remaster of an ancient 15 years old game. It's totally on SE just like it was totally on them for releasing FF9 on Steam first.

DoomGyver

I don't want a person who can only afford one platform to have to miss out on a great game or DLC simply because they can't afford a second platform. Sure they can wait a year and buy it cheaper, but most games these days have communities come and go within a few months of release. It's anti-gamer, I want everyone to be able to play great games regardless of the platform.

I dislike them and this practice needs to die. Why do you think there was a deal for FFX-X2? I don't think Sony gives a crap about a cheap port of a PS3 remaster of an ancient 15 years old game. It's totally on SE just like it was totally on them for releasing FF9 on Steam first.
FFX was uploaded to steam a few weeks after PS4 release and it also didn't get any updates because it was already all done, it's fact that sony payed for the delay.

Hanmik

The Players: This is moving in

16998222_Alt01

The Developers:

TT_017_TIC_609x300.jpg

It's Shit, and can even kill potential releases later on or at the very least cause tepid sales. Resident Evil 7 PSVR exclusivity deal not only hurt VR adoption, but it's kind of up in the air if it will even come to PCVR at this point.

Anshelm

Neo Member
FFX was uploaded to steam a few weeks after PS4 release and it also didn't get any updates because it was already all done, it's fact that sony payed for the delay.

Source? Did they also pay to delay FF XV? lol

EDIT: These deals don't benefit gamers so of course they are bad. All companies are doing this and the debate which company is the worst seems pretty pointless to me.

Lightning

Banned
I love how people just assume Sony paid for year exclusivity for titles like Zodiac Age which makes zero sense for them to do.

The practice doesn't really bother me. I only care for select games and they all appear on Sony platforms.

SgtCobra

A fact you say? Where did you get that from? I'd love to read up on why Sony thinks a PS3 remaster of a PS2 remaster is worth pumping money into.

More transparency would be nice. I get the need to secure exclusives for a platform when there's only so much first party games you can produce within a single year, but it would also be helpful, as someone who owns all the "current" systems, to know details. For instance, I'd much rather play the FFXII remaster on Switch, but there's no indication that it's actually a PS4 exclusive or not. If I knew that were the case I'd have already bought it...

Source? Did they also pay to delay the PC port of FF XV?
Exactly one year on the same day release.
Game was uploaded to steam already before the PS4 release and wasn't updated meaning it was was the final version.
Can't you read other than one sentence in people post? FFXV doesn't fulfill even one of these points.

I love how people just assume Sony paid for year exclusivity for titles like Zodiac Age which makes zero sense for them to do.

The practice doesn't really bother me. I only care for select games and they all appear on Sony platforms.
They did it with FFX, zodiac age makes all the more sense.

daxy

Platform exclusivity? Don't care. There's enough other stuff to play. Content exclusivity? Not a fan. Usually puts me off of buying a game entirely.

You really think Sony "paid" to keep SOA off Steam ?

At the end of the day they make their money from software purchases and having the game only on PS3 means more money for Sony...which also results in Sony being to able to do more for the specific software in terms of marketing/publishing etc.

Blame the publisher or developer of said title - but not Sony/MS/Nintendo for doing what everyone else would do in their situation. Its common sense.

Not SAO, but it is pretty clear FFX-X2 was a timed exclusive. The whole game was finished and uploaded exactly at the PS4 Release date, nothing was changed. It was finished on PC. You can check out the SteamDB app updates to see that.

Podge293

The only time I'd view it as acceptable is if they game wouldn't have been made without that influx of money.

Otherwise it's just a dick move

UrbanRats

And is there proof of Sony making deals to keep it off there? Why would they? Seems odd to me.

"Why would they" ? Not that there's proof, but it's very easy to imagine why they would.
Same reason why they paid to have exclusivity on RE7 and AC7's VR modes.
PC is a competitor.

-
Anyway, they're shit, always, and consumers bending over backwards to justify them are sort of embarrassing.

And is there proof of Sony making deals to keep it off there? Why would they? Seems odd to me.

There is proof for RE7 VR exclusivity, because Capcom said Sony paid for it. 1 year exclusivity.

The Chinese Game room said Sony helped marketing their title and gets half a year exclusivity.

I think it is not a big stretch to think that, if a finished game was uploaded on Steam at the PS4 release, then released EXACTLY 1 year after it, even though it was finished, it might be a 1 year exclusivity clause in place.

Jesus Christ.

Timeline:
Game is uploaded to Steam before PS4 release.
Ps4 version releases.
Game stays there, unchanged, for exactly a year.
Game releases on Steam with barely any marketing.

Please, oh please, try and explain this bizarre situation with anything but "they were paid to keep this game off PC".

I like when there's atleast clear information up front about it. Tell what you want about the whole "Console Launch Exclusive" from Microsoft, but it gives people an idea what they can expect.

Exactly this. I can make a decision whether to get it now for my Xbox One or maybe wait for the Switch or PS4 versions.

Mr Moose

I never commented on Sony deals, I have no way of knowing that. I commented on your comparison that made no sense.

Fair enough.

I just find it really odd that Sony would pay for FFX year exclusive over PC. If they did, that's really shitty and it just makes no sense to me. If they really did that, they deserve the negativity.

There is proof for RE7 VR exclusivity, because Capcom said Sony paid for it. 1 year exclusivity.

I think it is not a big stretch to think that, if a finished game was uploaded on Steam at the PS4 release, then released EXACTLY 1 year after it, even though it was finished, it might be a 1 year exclusivity clause in place.

But it's FFX... Why? It just seems stupid. A stupid deal with 0 benefit that I can see.

orochi91

Why do these developers/publishers agree to the 1-year exclusivity deals?

Don't they lose out on multiplat day-one sales?

I get why platform holders like Sony and the others would want (temporary) exclusivity deals, but clearly the devs/pubs like that shit too since it keeps happening ~~~

You guys already forgot when nier automata was presented as Full exclusive at PSX? How haven't you already figured out Sony intentions is unbelievable

Kill3r7

As a consumer, fuck 1-year exclusive deals. That said, it makes perfect sense from a platform holders perspective.

Ok, wasn't familiar with that. But why would they pay to keep it off steam? Doesn't make any sense.

It was the first PS2 FF game, to a lot of people it is what FF7 was to "my generation".

I mean what does Sony get from RE7 VR exclusivity? PC-Gamers with a Vive or an Oculus wont buy PSVR just for that game.

Lightning

Banned
Sonys responsibility is to their own user Base not gamers in general and can spend their money how they choose.

I don't see the point of games like FFX or zodiac age exclusivity but meh. If they think that benefits their user base they are entitled to spend their money their way.

Dredd97

Sonys responsibility is to their own user Base not gamers in general and can spend their money how they choose.

I don't see the point of games like FFX or zodiac age exclusivity but meh. If they think that benefits their user base they are entitled to spend their money their way.

Regarding the Zodiac Age, a PS2 exclusive gets a PS4 remaster and everybody is salty? I mean it was a PS2 exclusive, besides the possibility of a PC release down the line, did nobody think it wouldn't stay exclusive to playstation?

Ok, wasn't familiar with that. But why would they pay to keep it off steam? Doesn't make any sense.

I have no idea, maybe they have a budget specific for exclusivity deals and had to choose more games to spend it on.

How, in what world, is a exclusivity deal, especially for a single-player game, something that benefits a platform's userbase? Would the PS4 FFX players have a worse time playing because they knew that PC users were, GASP, playing the game at the same time? Like seriously, re-read your post and try to make sense of it. Exclusivity deals like that aren't for their own userbase, it's to make the other platforms look worse.

Unless, you know, you're talking about how those deals stroke the players ego, and I can see how that would be a benefit to them.

BasilZero

They suck.

First party titles should represent the system push forth sales while third party titles should be multiplat and release at the same time.

Some of these cases seem to be confusing console manufacturer deals with decisions from publishers / developers to follow the money.

Porting to PC for developers who have little to no PC experience takes time, why slow down recouping money from a version that can can be ready sooner, when PC gamers show time and time again the late PC ports don't impact sales negativity, and many times get them to buy multiple copies?

That being said, cases of actual deals to hold a game from consumers are a shit practice.

Lightning

Banned
Regarding the Zodiac Age, a PS2 exclusive gets a PS4 remaster and everybody is salty? I mean it was a PS2 exclusive, besides the possibility of a PC release down the line, did nobody think it wouldn't stay exclusive to playstation?
My point was more on sales. It's not like it was ever going to sell massive amounts to justify it was more to what I meant.

Games like Destiny/COD/GTA etc one can understand as they sell millions and have a multiplayer aspect where you want a strong player base. Does not apply for games like Zodiac Age/FFX.

Top Bottom