• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1 year exclusivity deals - Your take on that?

Mivey

Sony is just paying for a really extended test period for the PC version, while it gladly offers its own platform for a 1-year early beta release.
That's really selfless.

Lightning

Banned
I have no idea, maybe they have a budget specific for exclusivity deals and had to choose more games to spend it on.

How, in what world, is a exclusivity deal, especially for a single-player game, something that benefits a platform's userbase? Would the PS4 FFX players have a worse time playing because they knew that PC users were, GASP, playing the game at the same time? Like seriously, re-read your post and try to make sense of it. Exclusivity deals like that aren't for their own userbase, it's to make the other platforms look worse.

Unless, you know, you're talking about how those deals stroke the players ego, and I can see how that would be a benefit to them.
Which is why i raised my doubt that Sony are the ones to blame for zodiac age/ffx delay pc release.

Dredd97

My point was more on sales. It's not like it was ever going to sell massive amounts to justify it was more to what I meant.

Games like Destiny/COD/GTA etc one can understand as they sell millions and have a multiplayer aspect where you want a strong player base. Does not apply for games like Zodiac Age/FFX.

I'm not disagreeing with you, and would love a PC version, but the fact the original was only ever on the PS2 gave me the feeling it might never end up on anything else...

So out of generosity Sony paid publishers to keep games off of other platforms?

I think he means with such a large install base, Sony aren't paying anything and still some publishers are choosing to release first on one platform for other reasons.

I can kind of guess that MS paid for exclusivity on Tomb Raider because they stood on stage at E3, but if there's a Japanese game that I've never heard of, I don't know?

Oemenia

Banned
I'm not disagreeing with you, and would love a PC version, but the fact the original was only ever on the PS2 gave me the feeling it might never end up on anything else...
latest

210179_front.jpg

193929_front.jpg

I think he means with such a large install base, Sony aren't paying anything and still some publishers are choosing to release first on one platform for other reasons.

I can kind of guess that MS paid for exclusivity on Tomb Raider because they stood on stage at E3, but if there's a Japanese game that I've never heard of, I don't know?

They stood on stage with nier automata and said it was a full ps exclusive while it was never.

Floody

It's shit. Mostly because the people forced to wait 1 year usually have to pay the exact same amount, despite it probably being much cheaper on the other platform(s).

Melchiah

I could certainly do without the kind of exclusivity deals that Rise of the Tomb Raider, Inside, Dragon Age: Inquisition - Jaws of Hakkon, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock, Limbo, and Braid had. Use the resources to create games of your own, instead of preventing everyone from playing 3rd party games.

jmga

Tonton

I'm mad Dragon Quest Builders is not one of them

I don't mind waiting for games and it's much better than a full exclusive so as long as they were more transparent with these deals I'd have no issues

otakukidd

Nioh sure. I can see that, wasn't Sony the publisher of that game in some areas? But zodiac age and ffx? Yeah no. Square has a habit of releasing games a year later on different platforms. Case in point final fantasy 7 and 9. They released more than a year before being released on PS4 with 9 being just over a year. Fuck we haven't even gotten 8 and that's from 2013

Blyr

Banned
I think it's super shitty overall. Like I don't gain anything from other people not being able to play a game, fuck outta here with that BS. Like the Destiny DLC exclusivity shit was gross as hell, and I'm a PS4 owner who was originally going to buy the game on PS4 anyways, but the fact that XB1 owners are only getting some destiny DLC after the 2nd game launches? Fuck off

I mostly play on PC nowadays so we usually get games later, but the reasoning behind the delayed launch on PC will drastically affect my buying habits. Is it delayed because you need to put in the extra work to optimize it and make it run smoothly on PC? Alright, that's fair, take your time.

Is your team super small and you can't actually afford to work on multiple ports simultaneously? Alright, I understand that, no harm no foul.

If it's because of a shitty exclusivity contract? Hope the money was worth it because the only time I'll pick up your game is during a steam sale for $10. Like you're already making me wait 1yr+ to play your game, I can wait another 6 months-1yr and get it at a fraction of the price, since my business clearly means so little to you anyways.

pislit

Not a problem for me especially as a PC-only person. Even if it takes two years. All DLCs are, more often than not, included upon PC release.

Zia

Yeah, I especially hate that people make the argument that Sony doesn’t need to support cross-platform play because they’re the “market leader” while they’re also tying all of these games into year-long exclusivity deals via marketing agreements.

Kayant

Oh look persecution complex what a surprise /s.
It's shit if done for the simple reason to delay the game to other platform. If it's done in exchange for providing resources for the Dev to finish a game there I see no issue.
No surprise when Sony has defenders for limiting cross play too.
I mean people can have different opinions on those subjects as they are not similar in any way outside of them being about Sony.

The logical leap that goes from "Game A uploaded on SteamDB a year prior to release" to "Sony paid for an exclusivity deal", is absolutely mind-boggling. You cannot consider the latter to be anything other than speculation.

Of course there's a possibility for it to be true that Sony did make a deal with the publisher in these instances, but the time-stamps in the Steam DB are not sufficient evidence alone of that.

Some of you would make shit lawyers, I tell you.

The logical leap that goes from "Game A uploaded on SteamDB a year prior to release" to "Sony paid for an exclusivity deal", is absolutely mind-boggling. You cannot consider the latter to be anything other than speculation.

Of course there's a possibility for it to be true that Sony did make a deal with the publisher in these instances, but the time-stamps in the Steam DB are not sufficient evidence alone of that.

Jesus Christ.

Timeline:
Game is uploaded to Steam before PS4 release.
Ps4 version releases.
Game stays there, unchanged, for exactly a year.
Game releases on Steam with barely any marketing.

Again, please give me one, just ONE explanation that makes sense for it.

There's more to that, add the fact that they hide their deals by saying bullshit like "console exclusive" and outright lieing when talking about nier automata as full exclusive on stage, nioh siutation and crash remaster too.

A decent lawyer considers precedents, sony payed for exactly 1 year exclusivity with Capcom. Maybe a shit lawyer like you didn't even think about it, uh?

Reckheim

What is your take on timed exclusivity deals?

It seems Sony loves them:

FFX/X-2 comes out exactly 1 year after the PS4 release on PC.
RE7 VR functionality is exclusive for 1 year.
Niohs SteamApp ID was uploaded over a year ago, so it seems it was developed for PC at the same time as the console versions.
Now SAO comes out, and while I dont think Sony would pay for the exclusivity for such a game, its strange that the PC release is exactly 1 year after release.
Besides that there are still rumours about Crash being a timed exclusive.

What do you think about that? I personally think, if they say it is exclusive for 1 year like they did with the RE7 VR situation, I am fine with it.

both companies do it, and its bullshit.

It can definitely be frustrating. The most annoying instances are when they try to hide the fact that the game is only a timed exclusive, Nioh being one of the more recent examples.

I could certainly do without the kind of exclusivity deals that Rise of the Tomb Raider, Inside, Dragon Age: Inquisition - Jaws of Hakkon, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock, Limbo, and Braid had.

Very consistent list you got there.

I hate exclusives in general. But one year exclusivity deals are complete horseshit and they're why I haven't bought a PS4. I don't want to spend $400 on a console only for the game to release on a platform that I already have later on down the line.

No real issue with it, extremely competitive and unpredictable gaming landscape.

No issue with a studio trying to mitigate risk or platform holder trying to gain an advantage.

Shifty

The dominant platform holder of a given generation will always be chasing exclusives in order to choke out the competition. Sony's all over it this gen, and Microsoft were all over it last gen.

MS are still jockeying for it this gen of course, what with the Tekkenesque "EXCLUSIVE" announcer at E3, but I feel like Sony are having more success.

Overall I think first-party exclusives are fine by their nature, but moneyhatting third-party developers to specifically deny the competing platform is a shitty move. Those funds should be going toward making more compelling content for your own platform.

And Sony shooting for a bunch of VR exclusives (RE7, Polybius, etc.) is damaging to the potential success of the medium since it's still in its infancy.

Personally I hope the whole crossplay situation resolves itself and sets a precedent for equality across platforms, opening the way for the death of exclusives. Realistically speaking though, it's business. They'll probably keep doing it.

Don’t care for it or against it.

If Nintendo did it for the Switch and it’s a game I want I’ll buy it. My whole thing if it happens to a game I want I would want it on the system I mainly game on (Switch) but if another one of the console creators did it for a game I want whatever... I won’t complain. Dog eat dog world.

Xanonano

Again, please give me one, just ONE explanation that makes sense for it.
Have you thought that maybe the Steam database isn't an accurate representation of when the game was worked on or finished? After all, the PC version of X/X-2 has several features that weren't in the PS3 or PS4 versions like cutscene skipping and boosters. Why would those features not be in the PS4 version as well, if they were both finished at the same time?

Unless Valve paid Square to keep the extra features exclusive to the PC version 🤔

gypsygib

Hate it. Hated it since the 360 days.

It's one company using limited gaming division budgets to pay to prevent other gamers from having content that the gamers on the payor companies' hardware otherwise would have had anyways.

Unless you enjoy a game more knowing other people can play it, it just seems like the money could be better spent elsewhere. In Sony's case, maybe on better PSN Plus "free" games.

Mifec

Have you thought that maybe the Steam database isn't an accurate representation of when the game was worked on or finished? After all, the PC version of X/X-2 has several features that weren't in the PS3 or PS4 versions like cutscene skipping and boosters. Why would those features not be in the PS4 version as well, if they were both finished at the same time?

Unless Valve paid Square to keep the extra features exclusive to the PC version 🤔

It's an accurate representation though.

They're better than never getting to play a game without investing $200+ dollars in another consolenyou don't necessarily want.

Not great, but better than the alternative that the game is fully exclusive.

Sailent

Banned
Exclusivity is there because of ez moneygrabing and prejudices sometimes. Like Atlus with PC.

I would be happy if everything came out for pc eventually.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Personally I find it lame but at the end of the day it's business and that isn't going to change.

They suck. I like that Microsoft have been pressured to disclose the length of the exclusivity, shame that Sony isnt held to the same standard.

I am pretty sure I have read a few comments of people being annoyed at Sony snagging exclusive DLC contents.

Top Bottom