• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 years later - Resident Evil Outbreak 1 & 2 are back online!

Jawmuncher

Gotta say it's a great thing to see the fans pull through with getting this classic back online where capcom failed/didn't care. Dream come true to be able to play these games online. I won't be stateside until summer but game wise i'm the most excited tp jump back into outbreak over everything else.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Oh this truly wonderful. The best New Years gift survival horror fans could get.

TyrantII

Wouldn't it be so simple to put these up on Steam so we wouldn't need to mess with these kind of things? :(

In any case, it's very good news that another classic is saved. I never got to play these when I was 13.

From what I gathered Capcom having no experience with online play contracted out / licensed the network code and servers setup (called DLNA and provided by as 3rd party middle ware). That co went bankrupt and their assets were all lost or locked in someone valt somewhere, but never used. Either way their contact lapsed long before that and support for Outbreak was dropped.

Capcom would have to basically re-engineer the network code from scratch like these guys did.

Hell, if they;re smart they;d hire these guys to do it for a HD collection!

Capcom would have to basically re-engineer the network code from scratch like these guys did.

Hell, if they;re smart they;d hire these guys to do it for a HD collection!

Work of just one man for coding :) Hes also one who helped get MGO online. God bless!

5rwx.jpg

Just took this screenshot doing 4 man NM mode VH Elimination 3 :)

Jawmuncher

Still amazes me that this happened.
Hopefully some people who were curious as to why Outbreak was so loved give the online a chance. There truly is nothing else like it.

Awesome, played and loved both of them. I even played the first one in PAL form which didn't support online at all!! Capcom at their finest :D

Still amazes me that this happened.
Hopefully some people who were curious as to why Outbreak was so loved give the online a chance. There truly is nothing else like it.

The man responsible is a hobbyist who loves reviving older games. Wouldn't be surprised if he continues his winning streak. Outbreak 1-2 are some of the most complex older online games with very unique online structures.

And yes this game really did deserve more praise, those that played it... generally loved it. I think a lot of reviewers never understood why it lacked voice chat. And didn't like the small bite sized scenarios. But honestly this game kept that survival horror formula and the gameplay/enemies/mechanics are quite deep. File 2 especially has a ton of replayability.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hoping to play this when I get back home, but disappointed for now at least it sounds like you can't host your own servers and can't use the English copies o the game I own. But still, very impressed and VERY excited. I never got a chance to play Outbreak online but one time.

I've been waiting years to be able to play this game online again. With over a 1000 hours logged in online mode Outbreak was by far my favorite online game of all time.

Thank you so much for posting this!

addik

Holy shit, this also works in the emulator?

Time to find a Japanese copy of Outbreak and play. I never did get around playing Outbreak online, and I was always curious about how it played online.

Big Chungus

So much trouble to get it online using an emulator.

I tossed my PS2 Network Setup disc like 5 years ago and now I need to find a new copy to set this up.

Blargh

Dusk Golem

Maybe sometime in the future when this is all sorted out, we can play some GAF co-op in this. I'm securing Japanese Outbreak copies right now, but would love to play with you guys sometime.

Holy hell this is such a pain in the ass to set up via emu. Doesn't help that you have to go piece things together from various tuts and comments.

Big Chungus

Holy hell this is such a pain in the ass to set up via emu. Doesn't help that you have to go piece things together from various tuts and comments.

Yeah, that's why I stopped.

I'd try the game on my fat PS2 but it loads the disc pretty slow and sometimes gives me a disc read error....not sure how to fix it.

RhyDin

Just found this project on another site. Bumping this, as a lot more people need to see it.

Very excited to try this out shortly. Apparently using an emulator can cause crashes for yourself and other players, so be forewarned.

Dusk Golem

Somewhat nervous to get this to work as I have wifi and no Japanese PS2 so using emulation, but going to test around with this later today when I get home.

FaintDeftone

I was always under the impression that these games were really bad. Didn't critics trash them? Maybe I shouldn't have ignored them...

I own both games but never had the online capabilities.

If US servers ever get created, I might have to pick up attachment.

The bigger thing in the OP is the mention of MGO back online. Where and how do I go about playing this? I still have my original disk.

The outbreak series are some of the resident evils I have never played but wanted too, I had a fat ps2 and needed the modem I think to get it online, this was back when the xbox with live was interesting to me and how I first learned about how routers worked and such, because of that I missed out playing them.

I love it when a group or a single fan saves a game, blue burst, MGO, now the outbreak series, love it.

I believe that the PAL outbreak 2 was offline only which would have been the version I would have bought back in the day.

Jawmuncher

I was always under the impression that these games were really bad. Didn't critics trash them? Maybe I shouldn't have ignored them...

They were mixed in their reception. Though as you can tell the games have endured with the fans and for good reason. There's nothing else like them in the online space so having the chance to play that aspect again is a treat for everyone.

Somewhat nervous to get this to work as I have wifi and no Japanese PS2 so using emulation, but going to test around with this later today when I get home.

We definitely need to play together later on. Getting some GAF nights going would be something great as well.

Snaku

Banned
This is amazing in every facet. I've always considered these the last true entries in the classic RE series, and it's wonderful that they will live on being played as they were meant to be played.

Wow, I really wish I could play these online. I have them both, but they are US versions. How exactly do I go about (or if I even can) using those? I've read people talking about an emulator, but that route seemed to aggravate people and people said it was difficult. Can anyone tell me exactly what I have to do?

Tensketch

This is amazing news.
I loved both outbreaks (even if the UK got a horribly watered down file 1).
They were released before their time, they would have fared much better if they were (re)released a generation later.

From what I've heard though, Capcom are fully aware that there is a large fan demand for these games. But we wont get them, because QTE rock punching.

Big Chungus

Wow, I really wish I could play these online. I have them both, but they are US versions. How exactly do I go about (or if I even can) using those? I've read people talking about an emulator, but that route seemed to aggravate people and people said it was difficult. Can anyone tell me exactly what I have to do?

Mod your ps2, buy the japanese versions of the games, change a few settings and you're online.

Soopy

Neo Member
Based off a post the creator made back in July on how someone can help with the task of recreating the online for these games, he included Monster Hunter as one of the games that uses the same/similar architecture. If that game is brought back online I'd go crazy!

I played the hell out of this games years ago.

Would love to play this again, hopefully they're able to get some US servers up!

I played the hell out of this games years ago.

Would love to play this again, hopefully they're able to get some US servers up!

I would not hold my breath unfortunately. US/PAL servers used an entirely different server software that has vanished, and every lead on the net has proved rather fruitless. And there are no packet captures either. If someone out there has them, that would be helpful, but no one has ever come forward. Those servers were up for far less time than the Japan server, so the chances are not good.

I would not hold my breath unfortunately. US/PAL servers used an entirely different server software that has vanished, and every lead on the net has proved rather fruitless. And there are no packet captures either. If someone out there has them, that would be helpful, but no one has ever come forward. Those servers were up for far less time than the Japan server, so the chances are not good.

Thanks for the info!

By any chance, do you remember a US user named "KellenWinslow"? I played as everyone, primarily Kevin, David and George through!

This may sound weird, but the Outbreak community helped me through some really dark times years ago. It's been a missing part of my life, and I'll be so glad to be back online again. :)

Definitely gonna import this then.

Much Obliged to the team that got this working!

Zen

Banned
YES IT IS TRUE, THESE GAMES ARE PLAYABLE ONLINE.

So this has been in BETA for a while, but a tech-savy fan managed to reverse engineer custom made servers for BOTH Resident Evil Outbreak 1 and File 2 on Playstation 2. Most of the features are in place and everything is working a-ok. One of the same guys responsible for helping get MGO back online had a hand in this. A pure genius.

I did not want to say anything months ago because the server wasn't working and there was some concern about Capcom shutting it down. BUT, it is not messing with any assets and this project has nothing related to piracy involved. File 2 came back a few months ago, and File 1 server opened not even a month ago, on the game's TENTH anniversary in early December :)

I did mention this a couple times on GAF, but I still see people saying they wish for these servers were back... and to play again. So time to make an official thread and hope more people see it.

One catch is that it is for the Japanese versions only. American/European versions do not work. This is because there were no known packet captures of these version's servers in the wild in order to reverse engineer... so this is all we got.

You can play using an emulator playing the game disc iso (your own copy) or using an actual japanese ps2 and disc, or using a modded ps2 with hdd with homebrew (to play your own disc iso).

More information located in the forums of the man who made this responsible:

http://www.obsrv.org/index.php

Any questions and I shall try my best to answer them.
WHAT WAIT WAIT WAIT, MGO PS3 EDITON AND HOW?

WHAT. Holy crap. I never got to play these games online, but I've played through File 2 countless times.

I guess I'm going to have to buy a Japanese File 2. And figure out how to get My Japanese PS2 online. I have no idea how to do so. Do I need the network adapter disc? I have one that came with my US slim, but nothing for my Japanese one.

Thanks for the info!

By any chance, do you remember a US user named "KellenWinslow"? I played as everyone, primarily Kevin, David and George through!

This may sound weird, but the Outbreak community helped me through some really dark times years ago. It's been a missing part of my life, and I'll be so glad to be back online again. :)

Definitely gonna import this then.

Much Obliged to the team that got this working!

NP. Yeah wish it wasn't that way, but unfortunately its the reality of the situation. Thankfully japan version works just fine and has everything and more than US. It is however a bit of a barrier.

Can't say that I can recall :( But back then I was fairly insular, didn't interact with many in the community... played mostly Downtown mode for File 1, and with people from Biohazard France. Plus I only played Outbreak 1 online from launch till File 2 launched (1 year), and then File 2 for a matter of 5-6 months post launch. Since the games were alive for a number of years there is a wide range of player eras. I played under the names RoaDy_ (File 1+2) and cHaMbeR (File2).

Glad to hear the OB community was a real benefit back then! I've made a lot of good friends these past few months playing and it is a blast playing. Importing isn't that expensive either I got both games for less than 15 bucks with free shipping on ebay (I got lucky maybe who knows!).. itll be worth it.

WHAT WAIT WAIT WAIT, MGO PS3 EDITON AND HOW?

MGO original on PS2. My apologies for any confusion. Savemgo.com

WHAT. Holy crap. I never got to play these games online, but I've played through File 2 countless times.

I guess I'm going to have to buy a Japanese File 2. And figure out how to get My Japanese PS2 online. I have no idea how to do so. Edit: The Network Adapter disc is region locked, isn't it? : (

The network adaptor disc is irrelevant in this case. Resident Evil/Biohazard Outbreak File 1 OR File 2 both contain the ability to create a PS2 network profile. Many other PS2 games also possess this ability.

The one caveat to this, is that if you make a network profile on the japanese version, you are kind of doing it blind unless you can read japanese. Guides like these are designed to help you navigate and pick the correct options

TyrantII

If you like old school RE, there's nothing like them. They add quite a bit of tension (due to the online mechanics) to the already proven formula of their old survival horror cousins.

Nothing like having to split up in the last chapter of File 1 because needed parts are at opposite ends of the world, and not knowing if the other team will make it back to you.

In terms of the merits of the games, the first game is okay. I'm pretty tolerant with load times (I can deal with the PS1 ports of FFVI and Chrono Trigger no problem), but the load times in the original are a disaster. The 2nd game is better and a lot more fun. Maybe with online I'll finally be able to beat the R.P.D. level in VH mode. I always run out of bullets. : (

NP. Yeah wish it wasn't that way, but unfortunately its the reality of the situation. Thankfully japan version works just fine and has everything and more than US. It is however a bit of a barrier.

Can't say that I can recall :( But back then I was fairly insular, didn't interact with many in the community... played mostly Downtown mode for File 1, and with people from Biohazard France. Plus I only played Outbreak 1 online from launch till File 2 launched (1 year), and then File 2 for a matter of 5-6 months post launch. Since the games were alive for a number of years there is a wide range of player eras.

Glad to hear the OB community was a real benefit back then! I've made a lot of good friends these past few months playing and it is a blast playing. Importing isn't that expensive either I got both games for less than 15 bucks with free shipping on ebay (I got lucky maybe who knows!).. itll be worth it.

MGO original on PS2. My apologies for any confusion. Savemgo.com

The network adaptor disc is irrelevant in this case. Resident Evil/Biohazard Outbreak File 1 OR File 2 both contain the ability to create a PS2 network profile. Many other PS2 games also possess this ability.

The one caveat to this, is that if you make a network profile on the japanese version, you are kind of doing it blind unless you can read japanese. Guides like these are designed to help you navigate and pick the correct options

I should be fine with the Japanese. I guess my biggest obstacle is working an ethernet cord around my house then. Edit: Wait they make devices that receive wireless signals that you can plug one of those into, don't they?

Can't say that I can recall :( But back then I was fairly insular, didn't interact with many in the community... played mostly Downtown mode for File 1, and with people from Biohazard France. Plus I only played Outbreak 1 online from launch till File 2 launched (1 year), and then File 2 for a matter of 5-6 months post launch. Since the games were alive for a number of years there is a wide range of player eras.

I played File 2 way more, due to the fucking awesome Boss Rush mode. I can't even begin to tell you how many hours I've spent knifing Nyx to death with David and the others! or god forbid no one has a knife, and you have all 4 or less characters shoulder dashing him. haha. I miss that sound it made when you hit his stomach weak spot though!

Outbreak File 1's first stage with the Bar and escape may be my favorite though :) So many good memories!

Can't wait to see you online then! I'll let you know when I sign up.

What's really amazing is that Capcom was too stupid to convert the games to 16:9 and throw them on 360/PS3 with some extra content via the unused File 3 stuff. They were cut short before the perfect era for them.

I played File 2 way more, due to the fucking awesome Boss Rush mode. I can't even begin to tell you how many hours I've spent knifing Nyx to death with David and the others! or god forbid no one has a knife, and you have all 4 or less characters shoulder dashing him. haha. I miss that sound it made when you him his stomach weak spot though!

Outbreak File 1's first stage with the Bar and escape may be my favorite though :) So many good memories!

Can't wait to see you online then! I'll let you know when I sign up.

Hah... knifing is sooo bad ass, and amazing to do on some seriously challenging scenarios. Showdown scenarios :D a fan favourite. Sd3, VH, Nightmare mode!! File 2 has some awesome bonus features.

Yes I remember those epic moments when all hope is lost and somehow you all manage to shoulder check nyx to death. Or shoulder checking the last zombie or two on the Desperate Times finale and winning it!

Awesome. And I am a frequent poster on the obsrv.org forums as well. We will get you back up to speed. Though in coming weeks I might just play on weekends as my college semester kicks back in on monday :) As I pointed out above when I edited... my names on OG USA servers was RoaDy_ and cHaMbeR.

What's really amazing is that Capcom was too stupid to convert the games to 16:9 and throw them on 360/PS3 with some extra content via the unused File 3 stuff. They were cut short before the perfect era for them.

Capcom is clearly not the same Capcom they used to be.

I mean just look at Outbreak File 2 and sheer amount of unlockable content, music, cutscenes, bonus modes like elimination and boss rush/showdown, npcs with their own unique stats, and they also had a plethora of costumes ... some characters have 4 or 5! In this day and age, all that shit would have been DLC. Add in the bonus modes for the online like Nightmare, Survival (friendly fire) or Panic (friendly fire + NM)... its pretty good and ahead of its time.

Hah... knifing is sooo bad ass, and amazing to do on some seriously challenging scenarios. Showdown scenarios :D a fan favourite. Sd3, VH, Nightmare mode!! File 2 has some awesome bonus features.

Yes I remember those epic moments when all hope is lost and somehow you all manage to shoulder check nyx to death. Or shoulder checking the last zombie or two on the Desperate Times finale and winning it!

Awesome. And I am a frequent poster on the obsrv.org forums as well. We will get you back up to speed. Though in coming weeks I might just play on weekends as my college semester kicks back in on monday :) As I pointed out above when I edited... my names on OG USA servers was RoaDy_ and cHaMbeR.

Capcom is clearly not the same Capcom they used to be.

I mean just look at Outbreak File 2 and sheer amount of unlockable content, music, cutscenes, bonus modes like elimination and boss rush/showdown, npcs with their own unique stats, and they also had a plethora of costumes ... some characters have 4 or 5! In this day and age, all that shit would have been DLC. Add in the bonus modes for the online like Nightmare, Survival (friendly fire) or Panic (friendly fire + NM)... its pretty good and ahead of its time.

So much awesome nostalgia! Gonna hook this up to my Big fat box TV so it looks better too. lol.

It was always interested whether or not we'd
waste
the Rocket Launcher on the Sewer boss, or save it for OHK of Nyx, or the Super Tyrant towards the end. Yep, there were so many miraculous finishes, and so many close calls that didn't work out too. I'm getting goosebumps honestly thinking about playing it again.

Now, it's been about 6+ years since most of us have played. and while I was awesome at the US version, played Very Hard mode, all that jazz, does the Japanese version cause any confusion as far as the text goes, or is it just as natural as our NTSC versions?

I'd recommend File 2 to anyone who felt the classics were lacking a sense of utter desperation.

Well said!

So much awesome nostalgia! Gonna hook this up to my Big fat box TV so it looks better too. lol.

It was always interested whether or not we'd
waste
the Rocket Launcher on the Sewer boss, or save it for OHK of Nyx, or the Super Tyrant towards the end. Yep, there were so many miraculous finishes, and so many close calls that didn't work out too. I'm getting goosebumps honestly thinking about playing it again.

Now, it's been about 6+ years since most of us have played. and while I was awesome at the US version, played Very Hard mode, all that jazz, does the Japanese version cause any confusion as far as the text goes, or is it just as natural as our NTSC versions?

Well said!

The JPN version honestly is almost identical... I was very confused with the symbols and notes but with some translation patches (which btw, are not official, other fans made them) it makes it virtually identical. I THINK Japanese VH mode has more item placements than US version. The online server aspect is kinda hard to navigate at first with all the symbols, but once you cruise through trial and error its not bad.

Goosebumps for games? Well there are some recent games friends have recorded and put on youtube ripe for watching while you wait :)

MGO on PS2 works? Any link to that project available?

www.savemgo.com

Though I am not a part of that community and don't know too much about it other than that it is functioning.

Pretty sure there was a thread on gaf a while back about it?

Top Bottom